Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unknownmass posted:

Looking for a plan recommendation.
Country/Provider: USA
Current contract status: None
Budget (phone/plan):Plan cost as low as I can go. Unlocked Moto X4 I would like to use.
Features I know I want: I talk around 600 minutes and text regularly. Would like 2-3 GB of data a month.

Currently on parents plan and need to get off. Been looking at T-mobile, and was not sure if any other small carriers also have decent plans.

Cricket is unlimited talk/text and 5GB data for $35 with autopay. Their 2GB plan is $30.

That would be a lot cheaper than Fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Oh there's a grand idea. Anyone know if a Nexus 4 will work? It's not on the approved devices list but it claims to be compatible with the right spectrum bands according to a random website. Their chat support says you don't get billed until activated, I assume activation happens over their cellular network and not wifi. https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/nMSWe/google-nexus-4-lg-e960/google-project-fi-united-states I don't need LTE, I assume Google Fi doesn't either.

I have a need for a temporary phone which can do voice, texting, and minimal data while not on wifi. (Just enough to keep gmail sync'd, maybe send a picture text.) Needs to work nationwide, and I don't know which states ahead of time outside of California. No idea on call or text volume, but it's only going to be between a handful of people so it can't be enormous. We would use it for a few months then likely turn it off.

I was looking at burner plans and it seems Wal-Mart has one that's $25/month, unlimited talk/text/1gb data, and outside of feeling gross about wal-mart that seems like about the cheapest way to go when I have no way to predict my call volume ahead of time. Past that ATT/T-Mobile seem to have some ~$30/month plans that are similar. Anything I'm missing there?

(Yes it's totally for :2bong: . It's not.)

I think the main thing is a non-fi phone may not be able to switch carriers smoothly? Maybe the wifi encryption? I've used old crummy phones on fi when in a pinch, and they've worked, but I don't know the downsides.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Oh there's a grand idea. Anyone know if a Nexus 4 will work?

Nexus 4s didn't even have LTE without hacking and have spotty LTE with hacking. It's definitely time to retire it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

LRADIKAL posted:

I think the main thing is a non-fi phone may not be able to switch carriers smoothly? Maybe the wifi encryption? I've used old crummy phones on fi when in a pinch, and they've worked, but I don't know the downsides.

The most likely issue is that they're probably going to need a Project Fi supported phone to activate the service, like the previously mentioned Unlocked Moto X4. And if they've got the X4, what benefit is the Nexus 4 going to provide them that the Moto X4 can't?

Edit: Yeah, looks like you still do need at least temporary access to Fi-compatible phone to activate. I recall stories about borrowing someone-else's phone screwing over the lender's Google Voice account from way back, but I don't know if that's still the case.
https://www.androidauthority.com/psa-project-fi-phones-792301/

maltesh fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 6, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LRADIKAL posted:

Non-Fi devices with a Fi SIM inserted operate solely on the T-Mobile network. They officially support arbitrary devices with their data-only SIMs, so check out the data-only coverage map for a good idea of what you'd be getting. As noted though a Fi-compatible device is required to activate a voice SIM.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

wolrah posted:

Non-Fi devices with a Fi SIM inserted operate solely on the T-Mobile network. They officially support arbitrary devices with their data-only SIMs, so check out the data-only coverage map for a good idea of what you'd be getting. As noted though a Fi-compatible device is required to activate a voice SIM.

I'm guessing this is no longer possible with the new eSIM they're using? Would be nice to be able to temporarily use my old iPhone on Fi if my Pixel needs a repair or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Thanks everyone re: my Nexus 4 on Fi - I don't want to play games to get it activated. I will just use one of the numerous ~$25-30/month plans when I need it. This isn't intended to be a primary phone.

(Again I don't need LTE, just enough data that email sync will work. Most of the time will be spent on whatever the sketchiest wifi connection in range is to keep it going.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks everyone re: my Nexus 4 on Fi - I don't want to play games to get it activated. I will just use one of the numerous ~$25-30/month plans when I need it. This isn't intended to be a primary phone.

(Again I don't need LTE, just enough data that email sync will work. Most of the time will be spent on whatever the sketchiest wifi connection in range is to keep it going.)

You're going to need LTE as HSPA+ towers come down due to refarming but of course depending on your area that might not be an immediate problem.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You're going to need LTE as HSPA+ towers come down due to refarming but of course depending on your area that might not be an immediate problem.

Ah. Well if that becomes a problem it should be pretty apparent almost immediately and I will buy some lovely burner off the rack. Thank you.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Anyone have any opinions on US Mobile? https://www.usmobile.com/plans

Seems like I can get "next to nothing" plans that will suit my 1-2 calls a month needs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

Anyone have any opinions on US Mobile? https://www.usmobile.com/plans

Seems like I can get "next to nothing" plans that will suit my 1-2 calls a month needs.

Never heard of it, which on its own isn’t necessarily bad since all small carriers just piggy back off a bigger one.

My favorite for this one is they refuse to tell you which carriers they use. I’ve never seen a carrier hide the network to that extent. Naming it “Super LTE” and “Fast GSM” or whatever made me think they’re using T-Mobile and Sprint (which is most likely), but they’re using Verizon advertising on “most reliable” so who the hell knows.

I don’t think I would get service from a carrier that won’t even tell me what towers it uses, but worst case is you get bad signal and are out a few dollars.

That branding is good for a laugh though, so either way I am glad you posted it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Never heard of it, which on its own isn’t necessarily bad since all small carriers just piggy back off a bigger one.

My favorite for this one is they refuse to tell you which carriers they use. I’ve never seen a carrier hide the network to that extent. Naming it “Super LTE” and “Fast GSM” or whatever made me think they’re using T-Mobile and Sprint (which is most likely), but they’re using Verizon advertising on “most reliable” so who the hell knows.

I don’t think I would get service from a carrier that won’t even tell me what towers it uses, but worst case is you get bad signal and are out a few dollars.

That branding is good for a laugh though, so either way I am glad you posted it.

You got me curious so I looked at the APN settings for US Mobile because the MMS gateway is usually a giveaway as to the network it's on. They use something called PWG which stands for Prepaid Wireless Wholesale Group which is a business that seems to exist for the purposes of making MVNOs. Kind of like a Squarespace for scrub tier phone companies. Why their domain name only has one W while their abbreviation should have two goes unexplained.

In any case, that company also doesn't say how they do what they do, although you can kind of fill in the blanks if you think about it for a little bit.

I don't have anything useful to add but I just found it fascinating as I didn't know such middlemen existed until now. Every MVNO I know works out the deal they need with the network then is pretty upfront about it in their marketing. I do wonder if US Mobile is actually owned by PWG or if they're simply PWG's customer and thus might not even know whose network they're on. Maybe it's a stipulation of being on PWG that you can't advertise the network and that's why it's cheaper?

As interesting as it is I wouldn't get service through them.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

As a shut in NEET who works from home and addicted to phone games would the asus ROG phone be ideal? currently on TMobile and live in US and the price tag isnt awful for me.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Android phone
Under $400
Works on T-Mobile
Good camera
For my mom
Nokia 7.1?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a good choice, yeah.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That's a good choice, yeah.

Thank you.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Country/Provider: Washington DC area, USA / Verizon Wireless Grandfathered Unlimited plan with an iPhone 6s 128gb

Current contract status: Month to month

Budget (phone/plan): Under $120/month for the plan. $500 for phone

Features I know I want: 20gb data, cheaper international roaming

I'm tired of dealing with Verizon's limited features that can added to the unlimited data plan, and their customer service has been horrendous. If there is an option that won't be more expensive per month that gives me a reasonable data rate, I'd switch in order to stop giving Verizon my money. International travel to Canada has been happening more frequently for me, and local options for data are expensive up there, hence the desire for more international flexibility.

My iPhone has been working surprisingly well, except that the rear facing camera will only focus at a fixed focal length. Doing a factory reset and staying current on iOS has not fixed the issue, so I'm guessing it is a hardware problem. I'd prefer to get the camera fixed, but if replacing the phone ends up being more cost effective, I'm okay with that.

Edit: looked up the repair procedure on iFixit and decided against a DIY, as my track record with pulling phones apart is poor.

pr0craztinazn fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 18, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I believe T-Mobile service is supposed to be decent around here, and includes international roaming, so you'd certainly save a bit there. Your phone should work fine on it. I believe the camera module is replaceable and an Apple Store can certainly do it, but it might be kind of expensive at this point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pr0craztinazn posted:

Country/Provider: Washington DC area, USA / Verizon Wireless Grandfathered Unlimited plan with an iPhone 6s 128gb

Current contract status: Month to month

Budget (phone/plan): Under $120/month for the plan. $500 for phone

Features I know I want: 20gb data, cheaper international roaming

I'm tired of dealing with Verizon's limited features that can added to the unlimited data plan, and their customer service has been horrendous. If there is an option that won't be more expensive per month that gives me a reasonable data rate, I'd switch in order to stop giving Verizon my money. International travel to Canada has been happening more frequently for me, and local options for data are expensive up there, hence the desire for more international flexibility.

My iPhone has been working surprisingly well, except that the rear facing camera will only focus at a fixed focal length. Doing a factory reset and staying current on iOS has not fixed the issue, so I'm guessing it is a hardware problem. I'd prefer to get the camera fixed, but if replacing the phone ends up being more cost effective, I'm okay with that.

Edit: looked up the repair procedure on iFixit and decided against a DIY, as my track record with pulling phones apart is poor.

For the phone either go a bit higher and splurge on a XR, or find an iPhone 8 new / used for $500 or less. With Black Friday this weekend you can probably find a new iPhone 8 from whichever carrier you switch to for a discount. Just don’t switch to Sprint.

Both T-Mobile and ATT postpaid should have Canada included at this point (T-Mobile for sure). The new Verizon plans do, but they may not give the same discounts for existing customers, so if you aren’t happy switch away.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheEye posted:

I'm guessing this is no longer possible with the new eSIM they're using? Would be nice to be able to temporarily use my old iPhone on Fi if my Pixel needs a repair or something.

eSIM is just for devices that support it (Pixel 3/3XL). Normal SIMs are still offered for all other devices and for their data-only addons, there are no indications that this is changing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My Nexus 6P is starting to poo poo the bed so its time for an upgrade.

Country/Provider: Koodo, Canada

Current contract status: Pay as you go

Budget (phone/plan): Less than 300 for the phone (I buy them off kijiji typically)

Features I know I want: Reliability.

Also: I like smaller phones, the Nexus 5 was a perfect size for me.

I don't do much with my phones. No games, few apps, no video. Basically its for taking photos of nature, listening to podcasts, and being a phone. Limited bloat would be nice.

Looking at the original Pixel right now, wondering if its stood the test of time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think the Pixel 2 had a significant bump in camera quality. I love mine. If it's within your price range, I'd look at that.

Pixel should be fine, just getting to the end of support.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Count Roland posted:

My Nexus 6P is starting to poo poo the bed so its time for an upgrade.

Country/Provider: Koodo, Canada

Current contract status: Pay as you go

Budget (phone/plan): Less than 300 for the phone (I buy them off kijiji typically)

Features I know I want: Reliability.

Also: I like smaller phones, the Nexus 5 was a perfect size for me.

I don't do much with my phones. No games, few apps, no video. Basically its for taking photos of nature, listening to podcasts, and being a phone. Limited bloat would be nice.

Looking at the original Pixel right now, wondering if its stood the test of time.

Be wary with original Pixels, especially refurbs. There are a lot out there with failing/failed microphone solder.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Moto 5x and g6 should be getting 9.0 updates. They're in that price range and good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can't find the Moto 5x, did you mean something different?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Now that the Android 9 update is out I can recommend the Nokia 6.1 for $200.

The update has made the camera go from literally unusable to "meh, okay for a cheap phone".

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I meant moto x4

(my previous phone was a nexus 5X, not confusing at all!)

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013
Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Current contract status: Family plan

Budget (phone/plan): $600 for phone, cheaper is better

Features I know I want: 1. Long battery life 2. Large screen

Mostly I just want something that isn't worse than my current Moto X Pure, whose battery is dying. No refurbs.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Project Fi has a pretty cool bogo going on!

USE MY CODE! https://g.co/fi/r/A86419

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robot Dog posted:

Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Current contract status: Family plan

Budget (phone/plan): $600 for phone, cheaper is better

Features I know I want: 1. Long battery life 2. Large screen

Mostly I just want something that isn't worse than my current Moto X Pure, whose battery is dying. No refurbs.

See Verizon thread, but pixel 3 is $400 off today and tomorrow, only downside is you essentially have to do a two year contract for it. But that’s a good deal, only good until end of day Friday.

Feel free to PM with any other questions. If you want a referral code from Verizon from me, feel free to PM for that too.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If I’m dead set on the Pixel 2 or 3, and I’m a single user out of contract, is that $400 off Verizon deal the best thing for me? My understanding is that a prepaid plan would likely be cheaper for my data use (~5GB/mo), but prepaid plans have no phone discounts and I’m still using my iPhone 5S. USA btw.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fun Times! posted:

If I’m dead set on the Pixel 2 or 3, and I’m a single user out of contract, is that $400 off Verizon deal the best thing for me? My understanding is that a prepaid plan would likely be cheaper for my data use (~5GB/mo), but prepaid plans have no phone discounts and I’m still using my iPhone 5S. USA btw.

Best device discount. Here are the numbers

Single line Verizon plan on postpaid. 5GB
Plan: $60 * 24 = $1440 ($5 less a month with autopay)
Phone: pixel 3 is $400 over 2 years instead of $800

So $1840

Prepaid Verizon
Plan: 8GB
$50 * 24 = $1200
Phone : pixel 3 is $800, pixel 2 not sure

So $2000 depending on if you buy a pixel 3 new, or less if you buy a used pixel 2

Have you checked to see if you get a work or military discount? And as mentioned above, if you want a referral code, feel free to PM me.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for that math, but honestly I’m only considering Verizon because of the phone discount. I’m currently on an AT&T family plan, but I want to leave it and get my own plan. I want decent service at a decent price for my usage, but it’s also time to upgrade my phone. If I could get a Pixel 3 on some other plan for cheaper than Verizon is offering, I would be tempted. This will only be my second smart phone, I’m not very experienced with switching plans and phones and everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking for an Android phone
Canada
month-to-month on what is still a smoking deal of a Telus plan, so I gotta get the phone outright
Budget is about $450 CAD
currently on a Galaxy S3 so anything should be better

I was thinking a Nokia 7.1, they're not out up here yet but the US one is compatible with our networks

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

See Verizon thread, but pixel 3 is $400 off today and tomorrow, only downside is you essentially have to do a two year contract for it. But that’s a good deal, only good until end of day Friday.

Feel free to PM with any other questions. If you want a referral code from Verizon from me, feel free to PM for that too.

Thanks for the info. I'd take a referral code but I don't have plat, if you could email it to me at robotdogsa at gmail that'd be great.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robot Dog posted:

Thanks for the info. I'd take a referral code but I don't have plat, if you could email it to me at robotdogsa at gmail that'd be great.

Cool, emailed away. Any questions let me know.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I’m looking at possibly upgrading from my IPhone 6s as the battery is bad now. I see the Samsung Galaxy S9+ is only $639. Is that a significant upgrade or should I just replace the battery in the iPhone?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Word on the net is that Best Buy is doing the same $400 off Pixel 3 deal, but you can pay the phone off right away and have it unlocked without getting into a Verizon plan. Gonna go to my local store and see if it's real.

Edit: Got a 64GB for $400+tax. Had to sign up for the cheapest Verizon data, and may or may not have to pay for one month of it, but paying off the phone in full apparently frees you to stop service without penalty. No data contract involved.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 23, 2018

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Hey friends, my Nexus 5X is dying rapidly and I'd like to trade it in for credit and get a new phone through Google Fi (which is also my carrier). I use my phone for Twitter, Discord, some forums and news browsing, checking transit/weather, and a bunch of listening to music. I don't really watch videos or play any games. I mostly care about battery life, stability, and not needing to replace my phone again for awhile. Should I splurge and get the Pixel 3 or should I just get the Moto X4 and save myself a chunk of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reene posted:

Hey friends, my Nexus 5X is dying rapidly and I'd like to trade it in for credit and get a new phone through Google Fi (which is also my carrier). I use my phone for Twitter, Discord, some forums and news browsing, checking transit/weather, and a bunch of listening to music. I don't really watch videos or play any games. I mostly care about battery life, stability, and not needing to replace my phone again for awhile. Should I splurge and get the Pixel 3 or should I just get the Moto X4 and save myself a chunk of money?

Splurge on the Pixel 3. You can $200 off until Sunday right now and it will be supported longer, work better, will definitely last longer physically (as the battery is new) over the X4.