Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

UnderFreddy posted:

Regarding the whole "Sans is a darkener because he bleeds" theory, I always just assumed that he "bled" because he always drinks ketchup and it was a funny joke. You even hear him disappearing just like every monster in the background afterwards

(Do we even need spoiler tags at this point, seems like everyone's already played it. Just to be safe)
You never see or hear a Darkner die in Deltarune so it's entirely possible it would be the same effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

Regarding the whole "Sans is a darkener because he bleeds" theory, I always just assumed that he "bled" because he always drinks ketchup and it was a funny joke. You even hear him disappearing just like every monster in the background afterwards
But your kill count doesn't go up :ssh:
Considering the spare noise is the same as the kill noise, I think you're just getting japed again

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The Jevil theme is infectious.

real talk as amazing as The World Revolving is Legend blows it out of the loving water don't @ me

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i can't believe sans undertale hosed My Mom.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Penultimatum posted:

But your kill count doesn't go up :ssh:
Considering the spare noise is the same as the kill noise, I think you're just getting japed again

You get 1 exp, which bumps you to LV 20.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

The Bee posted:

I don't think Kris needs to be pursuing the genocide route. It'd feel kind of weird and unpleasant, honestly. I think they're just sad, stressed, and withdrawn.

I don't think your interpretation of them is consistent with what we saw. I'm not saying I want this to be the case, but I also didn't want to see Kris ripping out their heart and then pulling out a knife. I just wanted them to be okay in their own bed, and only acting differently because they had a fun adventure and made some new friends. But that's what happened, and that's why it was so effective to me--the whole time I wanted to just put the brakes on it, and let it have a happy ending. And I couldn't. In the end, my choice didn't matter.

Anyway, suffice to say, that isn't really the action of someone who's just sad and lonely, and "weird and unpleasant feeling" is exactly what that scene is. ]I don't think Kris is necessarily pursuing the genocide route literally, but going to bed and then pulling out a knife, eyes turning red, looking at the camera--all of that is pretty clearly meant to evoke the genocide route. Particularly, the ending you get when you do the True Pacifist route after having already completed genocide.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't think your interpretation of them is consistent with what we saw. I'm not saying I want this to be the case, but I also didn't want to see Kris ripping out their heart and then pulling out a knife. I just wanted them to be okay in their own bed, and only acting differently because they had a fun adventure and made some new friends. But that's what happened, and that's why it was so effective to me--the whole time I wanted to just put the brakes on it, and let it have a happy ending. And I couldn't. In the end, my choice didn't matter.

Anyway, suffice to say, that isn't really the action of someone who's just sad and lonely, and "weird and unpleasant feeling" is exactly what that scene is. ]I don't think Kris is necessarily pursuing the genocide route literally, but going to bed and then pulling out a knife, eyes turning red, looking at the camera--all of that is pretty clearly meant to evoke the genocide route. Particularly, the ending you get when you do the True Pacifist route after having already completed genocide.

I think it's time someone introduced you to Pie Theory.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So I know it gets bandied around alot but does the game ever actually say "Your choices don't matter"? Because there's a pretty big difference between the implications of 'none of us are in full control of our fate' and 'personal agency is bullshit world is a gently caress.'

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

McFrugal posted:

You get 1 exp, which bumps you to LV 20.

You're actually at 50000 exactly after Mettaton NEO, so Sans pays out (at least) 49999 EXP. No idea why his EXP value is so massive compared to his other stats.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

In regards to the ending

I would laugh so God damned hard if it turned out the ending was just a Halloween goof.

Like, after literally years of speculation and deep lore videos it turns out that scene wasn't even in the full version, Toby just wanted to have some fun with his audience

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/timaeuststified/status/1059263645186736128

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Pulsarcat posted:

In regards to the ending

I would laugh so God damned hard if it turned out the ending was just a Halloween goof.

Like, after literally years of speculation and deep lore videos it turns out that scene wasn't even in the full version, Toby just wanted to have some fun with his audience

My hope is we get The Last Jedi caliber lashout for not playing into years of theory videos

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Kris ripping out their heart and then pulling out a knife [...] isn't really the action of someone who's just sad and lonely

the downward spiral of mental health is a wild ride

it's not really directly related or anything, but something about how visceral the ending feels reminded me of this scene from the madoka movie, i guess because self-harm by ripping your own heart out is pretty striking and you don't see it used very often

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The only person we've seen Kris hurt is themselves, and the cage and the bloodstain indicate that they've been hurting themselves for a very long time. Self mutilation is pretty strong indication of long term depression, as is separating yourself from your emotions (which locking your soul in a cage is a pretty on the nose metaphor for) and binge eating (which is 100% what Kris is going to be using the knife for, they're off to eat ALL the pie. Suck it goat mom, Kris plays by their own rules). Kris is a messed up kid, but they're messed up in a "needs therapy badly" way rather than a "murder spree" way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Penultimatum posted:

But your kill count doesn't go up

Yes, and who is counting?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The only person we've seen Kris hurt is themselves, and the cage and the bloodstain indicate that they've been hurting themselves for a very long time. Self mutilation is pretty strong indication of long term depression, as is separating yourself from your emotions (which locking your soul in a cage is a pretty on the nose metaphor for) and binge eating (which is 100% what Kris is going to be using the knife for, they're off to eat ALL the pie. Suck it goat mom, Kris plays by their own rules). Kris is a messed up kid, but they're messed up in a "needs therapy badly" way rather than a "murder spree" way.

In addition, Kris does a few selfless/heroic things without our input. For example, kneeling when the king threatens Lancer, and jumping in front of Susie when she gets attacked. I think what happens at the end is deliberately meant to mislead the player by using imagery associated with the genocide end, while the truth could be something entirely different. But I could be wrong. Guess we'll find out in, like, 4-6 years or something!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Silly theory In Undertale there's a line "Beware of the man who speaks in hands." and people have assumed that refers to Gaster's wingding stuff. It could be less literal than that! Rouxls Kaard, named for a rules card/a list of hands, could in that sense be that entity! But I have no idea what the significance of that would be if that were the case.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

i agree with the speculation and analysis in this post.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think we might see Kris as at risk of wandering down a Genocide-themed path, the same way Susie went through (or definitely could go through, with your help) a Pacifist-style journey in Chapter one. This may not be all their fault or because they're some kind of bad kid - maybe another external influence could get involved, or Kris will get put into a situation where violence may seem like the answer and have bad impulses encouraged. It may be up to you to help avert it, maybe even externally if Kris is resistant to or rejects your influence.

The way the first chapter gave us a retread of Undertale's pacifist route where the player is sort of external to events and Susie is more the focus seems like a natural setup for also experiencing the genocide route from the outside, and that's what that teaser at the end seemed to hint at. That doesn't mean Kris needs to start knifing people or anything (I too agree with Pie Theory) but it might be a warning of where Kris's problems could lead.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Undertale 2: Sans is a Darkie

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The only person Kris is going to do a murder on is YOU. Or uh, ME? US, The Player.

Seriously I feel the struggle between us as an entity and the characters is going to be a significance part of the story.

Also I just found out that if you backtrack as far as you go the first save point after the big door changes to "the power of backtracking fills you." and if you equip the shackles before talking to Raslei it adds another line of dialog. I completely forgot the single defining feature of Toby's games, more then anything else, is that the guy has thought of a line of dialog for literally everything you can do. So Now I have to keep replaying this little demo over and over again like a lunatic to see what other little dumb things I can find.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nep-Nep posted:

Silly theory In Undertale there's a line "Beware of the man who speaks in hands." and people have assumed that refers to Gaster's wingding stuff. It could be less literal than that! Rouxls Kaard, named for a rules card/a list of hands, could in that sense be that entity! But I have no idea what the significance of that would be if that were the case.

Oh my God. If Rouxls Kaard somehow ends up being Deltarunes big bad that would be kind of amazing, and surprisingly appropriate: Who truly controls this game? The one who knows the rules.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 6, 2018

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm starting to buy pie theory

While Undertale heavily involved the struggle not to kill NPCs, Deltarune being about convincing the protagonist they, themselves, are worth saving would definitely be a different twist. Helping Kris to help others while also helping Kris to help themselves. It would be a darker theme, I imagine--battling depression and the idea that nothing you do matters--but the more I think about what we've seen, and the more I read peoples' interpretations, the more I think that's where this might be going. Kris isn't Chara and there is no oncoming threat of a genocide run. She's not a danger to the monsters, or the darkners, or the player, just a danger to herself. I don't know how to put it delicately, but I think a Bad End for Deltarune might involve a different kind of -cide.

Undertale got compared a lot to Yume Nikki, as another weird sort-of-Earthbound, and... well, anyone that played that to its end kind of knows what I'm afraid of here.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The only person Kris is going to do a murder on is YOU. Or uh, ME? US, The Player.

Seriously I feel the struggle between us as an entity and the characters is going to be a significance part of the story.

Also I just found out that if you backtrack as far as you go the first save point after the big door changes to "the power of backtracking fills you." and if you equip the shackles before talking to Raslei it adds another line of dialog. I completely forgot the single defining feature of Toby's games, more then anything else, is that the guy has thought of a line of dialog for literally everything you can do. So Now I have to keep replaying this little demo over and over again like a lunatic to see what other little dumb things I can find.

Toby didn’t think of everything! If he had, then Ralsei would have had a unique thing to say after I brought myself within an inch of death so that one of his dummy’s pellets could down me.

But alas, it is the normal “you got hit” dialogue.

I’m still trying to see if I can kill the dummy by landing all perfect strikes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nep-Nep posted:

I mean honestly I think it's perfectly valid to suspect that Rouxls Kaard is this universe's analog to Gaster, what Gaster becomes instead of a scientist who invents horrific space-time technology, or literally just the original Gaster in a wig loving around and monitoring the party. Aside from the fact that he looks him, the idea that he's the guy who "knows the rules" is a pretty astute thematic observation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some small post-quest spoilers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Toby didn’t think of everything! If he had, then Ralsei would have had a unique thing to say after I brought myself within an inch of death so that one of his dummy’s pellets could down me.

But alas, it is the normal “you got hit” dialogue.

I’m still trying to see if I can kill the dummy by landing all perfect strikes

If you kill the dummy it just ends the fight without destroying it, sadly.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tunicate posted:

If you kill the dummy it just ends the fight without destroying it, sadly.

Rip

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just pleased the game let me skip the FIGHT tutorial by continuously hugging Ralsei :kimchi:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I like your avatar.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Looks like toby just picked up none other than Todd Howard as creative director.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

tithin posted:

I like your avatar.

I like yours as well

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Here's my theory on Ralsei:

he is a kind and cute person who wants to be friends

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Gloomy Rube posted:

Here's my theory on Ralsei:

he is a kind and cute person who wants to be friends

huge if true

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Average Bear posted:

Looks like toby just picked up none other than Todd Howard as creative director.

Todd Howard you've done it again

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

ThaumPenguin posted:

I found Scarlet Forest to be pretty wonderful

There's just something about it that's... cozy and inviting, while also invoking a sense of adventure

This is my favourite. I love the dancing whatever-they-are in the forest area. The music ends and loops oddly, though? The last little bit is cut off

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
am i the only person who suspects toby fox is completely full of poo poo when he says this is a Totally Separate Thing, I Swear, No Connections To Undertale Here and that this is going to turn out to be a literal sequel in some way or another

for starters there's the blindingly obvious: sans. every other character is rearranged in some way; sans is literally just sans, no changes, with his room even being exactly the same. given that we also know from undertale that sans is immune to timeline fuckery, and that he recognizes the player (if in typically subtle fashion) here, that tells me something's up.

as for the nature of what's up, i frankly have no clue, but i can take a shot in the dark that it involves Asriel in some way. here's why: he's the only character we have two weird parallel versions of, one of whom acts a whole goddamn lot like the genuine article did in his final moments, looks like a "wrong" version of him, and is a native of the Dark World.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hey folks, hoping I can get some help. I can't find the song that plays at the beginning when Toriel drives you to school at the start of the game. Does anyone know what it's called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In the game files it's listed as mus_introcar.ogg.
On the OST it's call Beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcAbNvHSSr0