Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Public shaming"? "Bullying"??! loving come on.

Before anyone tries to start the "initiatives are actually terrible and should be abolished because all legislative activity should be done by the elected officials we all agree are 100% dogshit" chat again, it doesn't matter, because if you think initiatives are inherently bad then it's your duty to vote no on every one of them, except for the initiative to abolish initiatives.

I feel like I keep up with this thread pretty well but I must have missed the anti-initiative chat? I mean, unless you're talking about Tim Eyman and if that's the case I agree, gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Maybe it's not this thread then, I know I've seen people argue against initiatives on this forum though.

Yeah I got no problem bagging on individuals who won't stop filing making GBS threads initiatives. Bill Sizemore's another rear end in a top hat who comes to mind, though I don't think we've heard much from him lately.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Wasn't legal weed an initiative in every state that's gotten it? I'm pretty sure.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

Wasn't legal weed an initiative in every state that's gotten it? I'm pretty sure.
The first ballot measure for non-medical marijuana us in Oregon (Measure 80) didn't pass in 2012, but it was also really bad. Measure 91 passed in 2014.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Javid posted:

Its a mixed bag, really. For every legal weed there was a state out there constitutionally enshrining bigotry into its fundamental laws, or capping property taxes, or I've seen one in Colorado that looks like it's going to bankrupt any town that tries to prevent fracking nearby.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Initiatives are bad because they are prone to abuse by bad-faith conservatives trying to restrict taxation, among other things, but not voting on them or automatically voting no on them has zero effect on their continued existence, so you might as well vote yes on the good ones and no on the bad ones

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't there a law on the books in Oregon a while ago where not voting on a ballot measure but turning in a ballot counted as a No vote?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

anthonypants posted:

Wasn't there a law on the books in Oregon a while ago where not voting on a ballot measure but turning in a ballot counted as a No vote?

I distinctly remember that from when I was a kid.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Initiatives are bad because they are prone to abuse by bad-faith conservatives trying to restrict taxation, among other things, but not voting on them or automatically voting no on them has zero effect on their continued existence, so you might as well vote yes on the good ones and no on the bad ones

otoh the legislature has no problem passing utterly horrific things all on their own so it's not like they really need IPs to continue doing that.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Someone linked a poll in the Trump thread that Dino Rossi is down 3 in WA-8 so I'm not temping fate by being happy about it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Ballot Initiatives can be a mixed bag just like can be. Ballot Initiatives can grant things like legal weed, legal same sex marriage, or can be used for highly regressive things like.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ballot Initiatives can be a mixed bag just like can be. Ballot Initiatives can grant things like legal weed, legal same sex marriage, or can be used for highly regressive things like.
I agree

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jesus, I shouldn't type on a phone that uses auto-correct.

Anyway, in English: Ballot Initiatives can be a mixed bag, they can grant things like legal weed, legal same sex marriage, or can be used for highly regressive things like freezing property taxes or banning affirmative action.

Overall I support the idea of ballot initiatives, but how beneficial they are completely depends on the socio-political context of the territory. Then again, you can technically say the same thing about democracy.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

There was something like that for property taxes, until this happened:

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Property_Tax_Elections_Amendment,_Measure_56_(2008)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At the very least ballot initiatives should probably have something that limits their ability to gently caress with revenue in a negative way, that way you could have good initiatives and not have to worry as much for the idiot conservative tax limiting ones.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
If you haven't read it yet, The Stranger published an article about a Dom in Seattle who.... pretty much made one of his subs get a dangerous injection that killed him, then tried to cover it up https://www.thestranger.com/features/2018/11/07/35073826/death-of-a-kinkster

Or just read the KiwiFarms thread on noodles&beef, it's more to the point

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Initiatives are super-lovely, they allow the legislature to sit on their laurels, they end up passing incredibly loving bad laws with unbelievably far-reaching consequences (see: prop 15 in California), and they're a gateway to letting corporations just straight-up buy the laws they want (see: Amazon head tax, soda tax repeal in California, soda tax initiatives in Oregon & Washington). This is not to say that all initiatives are bad, just that allowing initiatives is bad, and in aggregate, they're pretty terrible.

That being said, unilateral disarmament is stupid and counterproductive, so voting "no" on every initiative is just shooting yourself in the foot.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

Initiatives are super-lovely, they allow the legislature to sit on their laurels, they end up passing incredibly loving bad laws with unbelievably far-reaching consequences (see: prop 15 in California), and they're a gateway to letting corporations just straight-up buy the laws they want (see: Amazon head tax, soda tax repeal in California, soda tax initiatives in Oregon & Washington). This is not to say that all initiatives are bad, just that allowing initiatives is bad, and in aggregate, they're pretty terrible.

That being said, unilateral disarmament is stupid and counterproductive, so voting "no" on every initiative is just shooting yourself in the foot.

Ugh, I had to tell a co-worker yesterday that our groceries aren't going to suddenly start being taxed out of the blue like the Yes on 1634 ads have been saying. The ads have people afraid that their grocery bills are going to go up even though municipalities currently are able to impose taxes and outside of Seattle's soda tax haven't utilized it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Someone on my route to work went to every no on 1631 advertisement and put a giant PAID FOR BY BIG OIL sticker on them. It owns.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This post was paid for by Big Oil.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Thanatosian posted:

The Amazon head tax is a horrid idea and should instead be a progressive income tax, but good luck with that.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

karthun posted:

The Amazon head tax is a horrid idea and should instead be a progressive income tax, but good luck with that.

yes, please, lets rehash this again.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

karthun posted:

It was the worst amazon head tax since Apocalypto.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Someone on my route to work went to every no on 1631 advertisement and put a giant PAID FOR BY BIG OIL sticker on them. It owns.

Out where I am I'm seeing these too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Also they bragged about spending $100M on “employee facility upgrades” like new chairs in the cafeterias (think tator tots, not free artisan FB bullshit) and inspirational posters thanks to “the new tax cuts” while spending :siren: $18B :siren: on stock buybacks.

Hooray.

lol yeah and replacing 30 year old bathrooms, dont forget that we cant have facility improvements unless employees beg for it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DrNutt posted:

At the very least ballot initiatives should probably have something that limits their ability to gently caress with revenue in a negative way, that way you could have good initiatives and not have to worry as much for the idiot conservative tax limiting ones.

What about things like the Carbon Tax? It's a two way street. It's the Left's fault for not capitalizing on intiatives like the right does.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

seiferguy posted:

nice

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Solkanar512 posted:

Also they bragged about spending $100M on “employee facility upgrades” like new chairs in the cafeterias (think tator tots, not free artisan FB bullshit) and inspirational posters thanks to “the new tax cuts” while spending :siren: $18B :siren: on stock buybacks.

Hooray.

You have no idea how bad I want to vandalize one of those posters. It's such absolute bullshit.

Like they're bragging about making the buildings not look like slumlord housing. Like fixing the bathrooms so poo poo doesn't run down the walls is really something to pop your suspenders about.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

lol yeah and replacing 30 year old bathrooms, dont forget that we cant have facility improvements unless employees beg for it

We had a guy quit to go work for apple and he made a PowerPoint for senior leadership with pictures of the building explaining why the company is shedding young people like snakeskin.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

We had a guy quit to go work for apple and he made a PowerPoint for senior leadership with pictures of the building explaining why the company is shedding young people like snakeskin.

I love a good "I quit Boeing" story. There's just this mixture of "they'll let you get away with almost murder" and "I've been here forever so my cynicism is really burned in" that makes for some good times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh man it only took one year for the cynicism to kick in and about 4 years before it effectively became a face tattoo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

punk rebel ecks posted:

What about things like the Carbon Tax? It's a two way street. It's the Left's fault for not capitalizing on intiatives like the right does.

I mean fair point but there's a not insignificant amount of "liberals" who also bitch constantly about taxes and are extremely likely to vote against measures that increase their own taxes.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DrNutt posted:

I mean fair point but there's a not insignificant amount of "liberals" who also bitch constantly about taxes and are extremely likely to vote against measures that increase their own taxes.

I just want some accountability!!!!!!111 :qq::qq::qq:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I agree, but you can argue the same about electing representatives in a democracy. It's not like those in the government, including "liberal" Democrats don't work on lowering taxes (especially for corporations) in order to increase "growth".

It's up to the Left to take on good messaging and push forward things such as using wages, healthcare coverage, municipal broadband, and ranked choice voting.

There has been some progress on this front, but the Left can certainly do more.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I just want some accountability!!!!!!111 :qq::qq::qq:

I just want to get rid of all the GUBMENT WAISTE!!!!!! (But I can't name anything specific, or I blame one sitting politician for the actions of the completely different municipality)

Spend some time mocking those folks on Facebook, it's good fun pointing out that people are lovely for refusing to invest in their own communities.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That’s surprisingly mature, last time I quit a job I went for the “turn my exit interview into a 45 minute rant about the personal and professional failings of corporate leadership and management at every level” approach, shockingly it did not bring about the reforms I suggested.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree, but you can argue the same about electing representatives in a democracy. It's not like those in the government, including "liberal" Democrats don't work on lowering taxes (especially for corporations) in order to increase "growth".

It's up to the Left to take on good messaging and push forward things such as using wages, healthcare coverage, municipal broadband, and ranked choice voting.

There has been some progress on this front, but the Left can certainly do more.

I think that stuff is true but initiatives are also still garbage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

That’s surprisingly mature, last time I quit a job I went for the “turn my exit interview into a 45 minute rant about the personal and professional failings of corporate leadership and management at every level” approach, shockingly it did not bring about the reforms I suggested.

Lmao Boeing doesn't even do exit interviews as a standard practice.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of my favorite stories at Boeing was when they invited a few of the Seahawks to present after they won the Super bowl, before they came out, Ray Conner (president of Boeing Commercial Airplanes at the time) comes on the stage to introduce them, and gets booed loudly. I clearly remember someone yelling "Ray I want my loving pension back!"

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

DrNutt posted:

I think that stuff is true but initiatives are also still garbage.

Do you always intentionally post like you're the stupidest person on the internet or are you just actually like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

im on the net me boys posted:

Do you always intentionally post like you're the stupidest person on the internet or are you just actually like this

Take your meds.