Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised at my cat's memory. I neglected his flea medicine for a few months and he got fleas, so I put some flea medicine on him. Of course it didn't eliminate the fleas, but it stopped them from living on him. A month later (and after a few goes with the scary vacuum) I go to put it on him again, and as soon as he sees the silver wrapper he starts flinching and backing away. My poor feline son, too smart to live in blissful ignorance. At least he's good about me putting it on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A big flaming stink posted:

Seriously yall, adopt more adult cats. those kittens absolutely don't need your help to get a home.

That's why the girlfriend and I looked for an older cat. They have more issues finding homes, and we figured they'd be more okay with us both having jobs.

Sweetheart's always happy to see both of us come home, though. The first time she sat and waited at the door to our garage when my girlfriend was due to come home, my heart melted. :kimchi:

We love her to bits.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LifeLynx posted:

I'm surprised at my cat's memory. I neglected his flea medicine for a few months and he got fleas, so I put some flea medicine on him. Of course it didn't eliminate the fleas, but it stopped them from living on him. A month later (and after a few goes with the scary vacuum) I go to put it on him again, and as soon as he sees the silver wrapper he starts flinching and backing away. My poor feline son, too smart to live in blissful ignorance. At least he's good about me putting it on him.

Procedure for giving my cat her topical flea medication:
1. Lead her into my bedroom.
2. Close all doors leading out of the bedroom.
3. Close the closet doors.
4. Fold up her cat tube and put it somewhere out of reach.
5. Put pillow up on her cat shelves so she can't jump up there.
6. Grab the topical, at which point she runs away into a corner.
7. Ignore her hissing and scratching and apply. Half the time she runs away to another part of the room and I have to apply it in two doses.
8. Undo everything and shower her with treats that she ignores for 30 minutes to an hour before she gets over her grudge and trusts me again.

loving cats.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I wait until mine are invested in their dinner and just do it real fast as they're taking a bite, it's worked so far.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Kitty is finally at peace. gently caress cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnCJ1OeJTBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5JzXCgzNxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-YSYzIt8Q8

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm glad Kitty is ok. beautiful cat :3:
#fuckcancer

My cats were restless last night. They absolutely love the feather bird toy so I played with them until they were so tired that they just lied down on the floor.
Thinking i'm done, stuff the feather away. Go make some thee. I see them climbing up the shelf to grab the feather toy. Alright round 2. They get tired. Right after, they start running all over the house.
This time I grabbed a laser pointer. Again they couldn't run anymore. and not a minute later. they started running around again. I eventually pulled out the roller circuit toy they can use to play with by themselves

They have infinite energy

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's why the girlfriend and I looked for an older cat.

Old cats own. They spend a significantly smaller portion of their day running around the house tearing poo poo up. My mom's old cat is on such a geriatric schedule. You can predict the time based on which activity she's doing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have given my Binx much more wet food and scritches. Also, the Tramadol probably helps. Since he is doing good, I shall pay the cat tax:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Never stop posting cat pictures :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

computer angel posted:

Old cats own. They spend a significantly smaller portion of their day running around the house tearing poo poo up. My mom's old cat is on such a geriatric schedule. You can predict the time based on which activity she's doing.

Yeah, Sweetheart is definitely in that good middle ground of still loving to play (she'll go bananas for her ribbon dancer or the laser pointer) but also being chill and self-sufficient.

It broke my heart the first few times the rescue home we got her from (she'd been living there over 3 years because she didn't do well at adoption events) and the rescue lady was like "oh, well she never did that with me before" for things as simple as "yeah, she likes to sit on my lap on the couch and watch Jeopardy" or "she really loves playing with her ribbon dancer!".

But near as either of us can tell, she's healthy and happy and affectionate on her terms, and that's all we can ask for.

:3:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kaworu posted:

Oh my goodness, what an incredibly handsome cat! That kitty is just an absolute *knockout* - very gorgeous catte. He should be a model :xd:

I tend to think he's gotta have some fairly exotic genetics somewhere in there, because while the fur on his body and tail *seems* fairly tabby-like, he does NOT have the distinctive "M" pattern on his forehead that you would almost always see in such a tabby cat, so he's definitely got something interesting going on. Also, that TAIL omg! He looks to have the most adorable long and lanky tail... Also makes me think he's not a wildcat, as they tend to have slightly longer fur, certainly on their tails.

I'm going to be totally honest - given how big he already is, how you describe him as walking in a different or distinct way from most cats, it seems to me like he might be from some sort of litter involving a 'designer' cat breed - something like an Ocicat or a Bengal, I really don't know. But he looks a lot like the big designer kitties I've met, both in terms of visual appearance in the pic and the way you describe him.

Honestly, it's shocking you found him at a shelter just as a +1? Wow. If he's that big at 5 months you may be winding up with a surprisingly formidable predator on your hands, hah.

poo poo, my gf's parents just got a kitten and we keep saying he looks like an ocelot for the same reason. He's very lean and has a long tail, sort of a pointy face too. He's under a year old so I assumed he was just skinny but I had no idea this was an actual breed. Cool!

Edit: VV The only time my cat is ever that poofy is if I'm about to get my leg bit :smith:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 6, 2018

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Sometimes I can't get over how poofy my cat is.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We've got an old cat I'm nervous about introducing the two new ones to

We've been doing the scent swapping stuff but the new ones are still sequestered. I've read the cat mojo guy's book so we're trying what he recommends. She looks young but she's about 16 (vets are always surprised by her age) but the new boys are still very rambunctious cats for an old girl to deal with. She has always been an only cat so I'm not sure how she is gonna take it and I want to make sure everything stays comfortable for her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sefal posted:

Never stop posting cat pictures :allears:

lmao is that one cat chasing the other up the curtains

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Daww surprise last vid with missing ear not missing. rip cute kitty

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 8, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I have given my Binx much more wet food and scritches. Also, the Tramadol probably helps. Since he is doing good, I shall pay the cat tax:

The pain meds can cause the drooling, or cause it to get worse, btw.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I’m very sorry for your loss :(

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ILL Machina posted:

Daww surprise last vid with missing ear not kissing. rip cute kitty

Also that's when he was a very chonky boi!

Joburg posted:

I’m very sorry for your loss :(

Thank you. I'm feeling better today. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got a new boardgame and it is Cat Approved

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao is that one cat chasing the other up the curtains

Yeah. they love to chase each other around.
Though Morgana and Simba fight a lot. they almost always sleep on/next to each other. it's :3:

What i'm not a complete fan of is Simba has now learned to climb on the curtain and than jump on me.
This is very effective in waking me up

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ILL Machina posted:

The pain meds can cause the drooling, or cause it to get worse, btw.

Yeah, at this point I don't know if he's lethargic because of the drugs or the pain. Since he eats like a champ I'm guessing it's the drugs. I gave him a dose of Tramadol this morning but I think that will be it, hopefully, he will be up and around tomorrow.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Sex: F
How long have you had your cat? Her whole life
Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yupyup
What food do you use? Nature's Variety Instinct
When was your last vet visit? This August or September
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only
How many pets in your household? Two cats, two rabbits.
How many litter boxes do you have? Three

To start with, my cat Chloe eats, drinks and pisses like a champ.

Chloe has problems with allergies. She takes apoquel tablets. She's bitten off a lot of the fur on her feet from the itching. Chloe is also CRAZY anxious.

Previously, my cat Chloe would hide and sleep upstairs during the day, then come downstairs in the evening to see people and beg for attention. Chloe decided, since maybe since the late spring or early summer, that she would not be using the stairs. Usually she stays upstairs. She hides in her favorite places to sleep, but will come out for normal cat activities, or to bother people for pettings. Only upstairs, though, she won't come down.

My husband took her to the vet in the late summer for her allergies so they checked her out, but he (for some reason) didn't ask about this. After that, she stayed downstairs, I suspect because that's where my husband let her out of the carrier. She was doing about the same stuff (hiding to sleep, being social in the evening) but on another floor. She wouldn't use the stairs until she started scratching and looking for a place to pee. I chased her upstairs so that she'd at least have access to the litterboxes.

We have feliway. I've never seen feliway do anything other than cost me $50 a month, but it's the first thing everyone asks, so I got it installed and running. It's been going over a month and hasn't made a dent in her behavior. I also got those gnc anxiety supplements, which seems to help a little. It reduced the hiding, but she still won't use the stairs.

She's clearly not happy. In the evenings when she used to come down and visit, she'll sit upstairs and cry for attention. I have no idea why the idiot won't just come down here, she knows where we are. The only two theories I have is that she saw something scary (no idea what, and she likes chasing mice and bugs so it wouldn't have been that) or she's getting older and it's not comfortable to use the stairs any more. She'll still jump on the bed, though. She has trouble doing it, but she's never been a graceful cat.

Does anyone have any advice?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bean posted:

Sex: F
How long have you had your cat? Her whole life
Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yupyup
What food do you use? Nature's Variety Instinct
When was your last vet visit? This August or September
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only
How many pets in your household? Two cats, two rabbits.
How many litter boxes do you have? Three

She's clearly not happy. In the evenings when she used to come down and visit, she'll sit upstairs and cry for attention. I have no idea why the idiot won't just come down here, she knows where we are. The only two theories I have is that she saw something scary (no idea what, and she likes chasing mice and bugs so it wouldn't have been that) or she's getting older and it's not comfortable to use the stairs any more. She'll still jump on the bed, though. She has trouble doing it, but she's never been a graceful cat.

Does anyone have any advice?

She's old enough arthritis could be an issue, but I don't think that's the main problem. I think you are on to something with the stairs-aversion, maybe one of the other animals got to her or something made a loud noise and spooked her.

Definitely call the vet back. Chloe may be happier with some kitty Paxil and you guys doing some kitty CBT to help her see that the stairs are a good place where treats happen.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'd say do the same sort of training people do with dogs who are scared of things. Find treats that she likes, give her copious amounts while she's near the stairs, then on the stairs etc etc. Reinforce that Stairs Are Good Actually.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is the stuff on a cats nose drool or snot?

I mean she licks her nose a lot but is that what keeps it wet?

Edit: more tax.

https://i.imgur.com/eD0dhlG.mp4

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its usually cat spit

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Cats are wierd yall.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its usually cat spit

Yeah ok that's fine.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
One of my cats caught a mouse in our basement for the first time. Finally paying off after 5 years.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So much for a kitten gate. I bought a 32" pet gate and the smaller cat pretty quickly climbed up the side and got over. I went with a wire gate because I thought he could squeeze through the ones with bars but I didn't consider he could grip the wire and climb it. The plan had been to keep them separated from the old cat but able to see each other through a gate.

Anyone recommend a better gate or is an agile cat always gonna find a way?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

So much for a kitten gate. I bought a 32" pet gate and the smaller cat pretty quickly climbed up the side and got over. I went with a wire gate because I thought he could squeeze through the ones with bars but I didn't consider he could grip the wire and climb it. The plan had been to keep them separated from the old cat but able to see each other through a gate.

The technology is still in its infancy, but you can see a few very successful and beautiful prototype swatches here:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

Welcome to cats!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Basically just start yourself a photo album for Cats Don't Go There. You can't stop them from doing it so you might as well just embrace it and get pictures

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This was my kitty gulag setup while the idiots got acclimated. Oldcat was extremely aggressive to newcat and she would jump any gate so I stacked 3 on top of each other and the top one was smooth wall and unclimbable.

They still brawl and gently caress with each other but i don't think'll kill themselves so the gates are finally down after about 3 months. The wall pads on the gates took chunks of paint and paper from the drywall with them when taken down :sigh:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The bird is so good. My cats are destroying them quickly to the point i'm ordering 3-4 reserves
Little bastards even managed to take it down so hard it fell of my hand.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

The bird is so good. My cats are destroying them quickly to the point i'm ordering 3-4 reserves
Little bastards even managed to take it down so hard it fell of my hand.

Same here. The kitten destroys the feather end every few days assuming I put it where she can't get to it. If she can, it lasts less than 10 minutes. Even playing with her with it is hard, because she wants to chew, and clamps down with the force of a thousand gorillas.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Boogalo posted:

This was my kitty gulag setup while the idiots got acclimated. Oldcat was extremely aggressive to newcat and she would jump any gate so I stacked 3 on top of each other and the top one was smooth wall and unclimbable.

They still brawl and gently caress with each other but i don't think'll kill themselves so the gates are finally down after about 3 months. The wall pads on the gates took chunks of paint and paper from the drywall with them when taken down :sigh:

I am legit considering putting a cheap screen door or some kind of similar hand made mess in the hallway which is basically your great wall there. I haven't let the cats mingle but the old cat has hissed at them through the gate. I'm expecting I won't feel comfortable letting them intermingle unsupervised for a while so I'll need some kinda long term solution.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Same here. The kitten destroys the feather end every few days assuming I put it where she can't get to it. If she can, it lasts less than 10 minutes. Even playing with her with it is hard, because she wants to chew, and clamps down with the force of a thousand gorillas.

Same here. Things are crazy interesting to both my cats. The metal hooks and the non-elastic string concern me for safety reasons, but I still use it and my cat would be very unhappy if I stopped.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
HOW COME BIRB SO STUUP

I don't understand why they risk landing in the yard to look for food when there's 4 cats in plain sight literally following their every wing flop. I've rescued so many birds this autumn :negative:
It's not like i scold the cats or anything for hunting, i'm not retarded. They just make such a insane mess when they kill a bird Vs a mouse, they explode it into every single feather and then decapitate it or whatever and hide limbs all over.

So it would be better if they did this outside or at least in a area easily cleaned. What goes through a cats mind when it has caught prey to play with? There must be a decision making process cause my cats go through the trouble of carrying it through TWO cat doors, 1-2 flights of stairs to get into the house proper where theres a billion hiding places for the prey instead of just doing it in the yard or in the barren basement after 1 cat door. If i can understand this decision making process maybe i can influence it and have them explode birb in a area of my choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
My first thought is when you go out there and rescue a bird the cats see a loud, clumsy, inept hunter failing to catch dinner, so they redouble their efforts so the big hairless cat doesn't starve.