Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fat bottomed cats, you make the rockin' world go 'round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pffft, that's nothing. One time my buddy's dog chased a mean looking squirrel away from his porch.

I ain't no fancy mammalologist or nothin', but doesn't this sort of thing happen a bunch with a lot of different mammals?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

DrPossum posted:

dogs are blessed horses are cursed and are space monsters

Blessed space monsters.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Horses are really great except that they're dumb as all hell, die because they rolled an ankle, are extremely expensive, and are typically only owned by either a) the shittiest rednecks b) the most bourgeois motherfuckers.

Oh did I say horses are great? Actually they loving suck.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Horses were awesome when they served an indispensable function in society. Now they're just a more expensive, less fun, slower go kart that when it breaks down you have to disassemble it with a chainsaw and send it to a rendering plant.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Solice Kirsk posted:

Horses were awesome when they served an indispensable function in society. Now they're just a more expensive, less fun, slower go kart that when it breaks down you have to disassemble it with a chainsaw and send it to a rendering plant.

:smug: Looks like you didn't get the news that society is actually bad.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DrPossum posted:

:smug: Looks like you didn't get the news that society is actually bad.

Look at this dude criticising society as though he doesn't live in society himself. The loving hypocrit.

Horses are the worst. They're big and dumb and dangerous and fragile and expensive and smelly and inefficient.

Donkeys OTOH are cool chill smart and all round superior animals that fill a very similar niche.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

how many hours have the horse haters spent around them?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Humanity: *for 5,000 years uses horses for everything including transportation, hunting, warfare, sport, and Mike Pence jokes*

Goons: lol horses are dumb

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Trabant posted:

Humanity: *for 5,000 years uses horses for everything including transportation, hunting, warfare, sport, and Mike Pence jokes*

Goons: lol horses are dumb

Agreed, if we didn't have horses we wouldn't have this sick, sad human civilization

And now for our regularly scheduled blessing:

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

Horses are really great except that they're dumb as all hell, die because they rolled an ankle, are extremely expensive, and are typically only owned by either a) the shittiest rednecks b) the most bourgeois motherfuckers.

When I was a teen, my dumb, redneck stepdad thought it would be great to buy a couple of horses.

My only memory of those animals was when they were hurting themselves. One of them ran though a barbed wire fence at 2 am on a Monday, and we had to call a vet out to sedate, stitch and vet wrap the horse's leg. two hours and 350 dollars later and I could finally get some sleep.

The other one was a suicidal Arab horse, and if you tried to load it into a horse trailer it would respond by trying to kill you and then itself.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Former DILF posted:

how many hours have the horse haters spent around them?

Lived half a year on a horse farm, paid rent through chores and helping out. I don't post a bunch about horses being bad but I came away from the experience feeling very :chloe: about people who choose to own and breed horses. The animals themselves are kinda dumb and flighty but that's part of why we used them for so long I guess

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lived half a year on a horse farm, paid rent through chores and helping out. I don't post a bunch about horses being bad but I came away from the experience feeling very :chloe: about people who choose to own and breed horses. The animals themselves are kinda dumb and flighty but that's part of why we used them for so long I guess

They're like big, dumb tractors that run on hay and self harm.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've ridden horses just a couple of times. One time it started bucking for no reason whatsoever and kicking the horse behind me in the face. I just held on for dear life a rode it out. Another time I saw a horse just take off to a sprint and watched my friend's little brother slowly fall down the side and onto the ground. And another time I had to drive to Arizona to pick up my broken to pieces mom because she had orders to not fly due to a horse rearing up and falling on her. Again, for no visible reason.

I like horses when they're not insanely stupid but that seems to be rare.

Majestic creatures.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 6, 2018

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Horses are horrendous.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOKej7Cb5_c

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Rad-daddio posted:

They're like big, dumb tractors that run on hay and self harm.

Lmbo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good news, the rendering plant will actually take care of the disassembly for you!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

#More Blessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeJgnN3qF4

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Screaming Idiot posted:

Agreed, if we didn't have horses we wouldn't have this sick, sad human civilization

And now for our regularly scheduled blessing:

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

you know, I feel like this scythe would be impractical to use for harvest purposes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Pokey is the only good horse, and even then he is a whiny idiot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

Headline yesterday in "The largest news media in Finland":

"That's where the satan went, cart and all"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

eat more horse

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
imagine going back in time - you leave your apartment and step in a big pile of horse poo poo, because horses are everywhere. then you have to avoid getting run over by a horse while trying to find a horse to ride on. then you go to the bar and get blackout drunk and get on your horse and the next thing you know you've won the preakness. it's scary stuff.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

That boot has straps that you can pull yourself up by.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Jerry Cotton posted:

Headline yesterday in "The largest news media in Finland":

"That's where the satan went, cart and all"

:byodood: ARTAAAAAAAX!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Riatsala posted:

:byodood: ARTAAAAAAAX!!!

They got him out, by the way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

you know, I feel like this scythe would be impractical to use for harvest purposes.

They actually touch on that in the book, but Death is really good with it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mofmofclub/status/1059598890054299648

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bears are just enormous, v dangerous dogs I guess

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Horses are amazing creatures. So fragile yet so strong. They're cute, have weird personality traits such as trying to kill themselves.
Wild horses are way better than the horses that are owned by rich fucks. Blessed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iC1aJqc7GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkwF8T5czu8

e:links

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 6, 2018

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Such majestic creatures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkH5P2evbFk

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

horse fights own

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

jemand posted:

Blessed space monsters.

Icelandic ponies are basically ATVs with fuzz on them

edit:

ENGAGE 4WD LOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rWeWymJDw

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 6, 2018

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Icelandic ponies are basically ATVs with fuzz on them

edit:

ENGAGE 4WD LOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rWeWymJDw

It's called Tölt and it's the smoothest ride you'll ever get on a horse. Iceland!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Blue Train posted:

horse fights own

you gotta laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zireygLSsw8

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Horses are amazing creatures. So fragile yet so strong. They're cute, have weird personality traits such as trying to kill themselves.
Wild horses are way better than the horses that are owned by rich fucks. Blessed.

I work in the horse racing industry, and this is pretty accurate. 90% of race horse owners are small-time one-horse owners who grew up on a farm or ranch and really give a poo poo about the animal. The other 10% are rich guys who never see the horse except on race day, and since they’re the ones who win the biggest races, that’s who you see on TV on Kentucky Derby day.

I was at the Breeders’ Cup this past weekend, and the drunk gently caress who started riding one of the horses around is probably a better horseman than that 10%.

Horses are really, really awesome when you work closely with them and develop a bond. Once they accept you as a competent being, they accept you as one of their own and show legitimate emotion toward you.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lincoln posted:

I work in the horse racing industry, and this is pretty accurate. 90% of race horse owners are small-time one-horse owners who grew up on a farm or ranch and really give a poo poo about the animal. The other 10% are rich guys who never see the horse except on race day, and since they’re the ones who win the biggest races, that’s who you see on TV on Kentucky Derby day.

I was at the Breeders’ Cup this past weekend, and the drunk gently caress who started riding one of the horses around is probably a better horseman than that 10%.

Horses are really, really awesome when you work closely with them and develop a bond. Once they accept you as a competent being, they accept you as one of their own and show legitimate emotion toward you.

Arent all the horses at lower level horse races so drugged up with performance enhancers and uppers that it would make Lance Armstrong blush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Oscar Wild posted:

Arent all the horses at lower level horse races so drugged up with performance enhancers and uppers that it would make Lance Armstrong blush?

Nah, that’s pretty rare these days. The winning horse, plus some random horses are tested after each race. Violations are punished quite severely in most states. It used to be much more common, though. If I wanted to cheat these days, I’d drug the other guy’s horse, not mine. That adds a whole new level of complexity, of course. It’s getting tougher and tougher to cheat, but it still happens.

The most common drug violations are probably illicit pain-killers so you can run a horse that’s sore or partly lame.