Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

don't look now, but the Agony guys are at it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHqGZ5GFqE

this may shock you but this video is NSFW

They really think tits are scary, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blockhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHqGZ5GFqE

this may shock you but this video is NSFW

It's weird how they can make really detailed static environments and their animation quality is butt.

Dienes posted:

They really think tits are scary, don't they?

Probably not, they just probably love tits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blockhouse posted:

Don’t worry, I won’t.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

They don’t think tits are scary, they just think women are things.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

exquisite tea posted:

Don’t worry, I won’t.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nasgate posted:

Scariest part of that clip is the PC dry swallowing all those pills.

Maybe PC's got a lotta kissin' juices? Did you stop to consider that?

The true horror in life is not enough kissin' juices.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I beat Painscreek Killings. That was pretty dang cool, although I feel like glancing at my notes there were a few mysteries I never solved. Dunno if the game meant for me to solve them either.

I thought the game was going somewhere with all the vanishing kids (the boy missing from the playground, the kid who drowned in the river at the same spot, the little girl with the bloody note at the hospital) but found no real leads besides the general connection. There was a note saying Doc Henry was seen visited by a drenched woman, which...I guess that was Sofia's ghost? I'm also assuming Matthew killed the PI given his belongings were in the morgue, but the ending seems to go out of its way to point out no one found his body, so.

Wound up putting the Sofia with baby Scott picture as the newspaper headline. Although it was tempting to use a picture I'd taken of one of the diner advertisements. "Murder solved! Eat at the Moon Cafe!"

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Apparently Agony sold "well enough" for them to stay in business?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

They don’t think tits are scary, they just think women are things.

Yeah, when it got to the first twisted ghoul wearing a corset and thigh-highs - but no bra or panties - I thought that was...an odd choice to run with. When it got around to the SECOND time (complete with killing the protagonist) I thought "OK, these guys have issues with women."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nasgate posted:

Scariest part of that clip is the PC dry swallowing all those pills.

Now I want a horror game where the healing item is just water, which allows you to swallow your endless supply of pills.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I beat Painscreek Killings. That was pretty dang cool, although I feel like glancing at my notes there were a few mysteries I never solved. Dunno if the game meant for me to solve them either.

I thought the game was going somewhere with all the vanishing kids (the boy missing from the playground, the kid who drowned in the river at the same spot, the little girl with the bloody note at the hospital) but found no real leads besides the general connection. There was a note saying Doc Henry was seen visited by a drenched woman, which...I guess that was Sofia's ghost? I'm also assuming Matthew killed the PI given his belongings were in the morgue, but the ending seems to go out of its way to point out no one found his body, so.

Wound up putting the Sofia with baby Scott picture as the newspaper headline. Although it was tempting to use a picture I'd taken of one of the diner advertisements. "Murder solved! Eat at the Moon Cafe!"

I want to say the missing children is an excuse for why the hunting grounds are off limits. There's a weird bit where if you try to cross the river you'll say your equipment will get wet which leads me to believe there was a cut section in the woods because otherwise why would that path exist? The drenched person was Sofia, she was tossed down a well after all. Interestingly only women can see Sofia with the exception of Andrew who is drugged out of his mind. My photo was a picture of Sofia so the front page is this confusing Ringu cosplayer standing by the hospital balcony while a dude with an ax is bearing down on me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Agent Escalus posted:

Edgy teens and misogynist adults are profitable markets.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So I'd say the underrated horror game of the year is Lost in Vivo, made by the main dev on the Spooky Jump Scare games. It's one of those rare titles that makes obvious homages to its predecessors but still manages to stand out as an original work with new ideas. It's very much Silent Hill in aesthetics but draws from a pretty deep well much like Spooky. Lots of creepy rear end monsters and cool scripted encounters. A bunch of secrets too with multiple endings and hidden tapes that play these neat little anthology horror segments that would stand out just as a standalone thing.

There's some things it could improve upon like displaying your health on screen (I don't know why it's only accessible in the inventory) and it's hard to tell if your attacks connect with enemies sometimes (the shotgun seems way under powered) but it's the best original horror game in a long time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The dogger you're trying to rescue in Lost in Vivo was also 'voiced' by MrKravin's dog, she's even credited for it :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's also incredibly ridiculous. Like, in a good way ("my dog was washed down into the sewers! imma go get her!"), but it was still hard to take it seriously.

Also, really low effort. Like, I think there was put more effort into putting the dedications to every single kickstarter backer somewhere in that game than there was put into everything else added together.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn’t describe it as low effort at all. Each area is unique with its own look and monsters and the tapes are entirely separate from the main game. It’s not highly polished, being a game 90% designed by a single person, but there’s more going on than even a bigger budget game like say Outcast.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It all felt very empty, perfunctory and sterile to me, but I gave up on it around and hour in, so maybe the good stuff just comes later. Maybe it's just me, though. I find blatant fan-pandering like that kind of offensive and would've preferred if that effort had gone into improving texture quality and variety. There wasn't really any need to put obnoxious neon-colored "graffiti" all over the game.

Otherwise, it felt a lot like Spooky's House of Jumpscares to me, which is both a good and a bad thing, depending on what you want out of a game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

While I liked the game, yeah the sheer glut of "PLEASE LOOK AT MY YOUTUBE/TWITCH CHANNEL" names graffiti'd on the walls of the early game felt really intrusive, they do stop after a bit though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Good to know for if I pick it up again. That really ruined any atmosphere the game could've had for me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just reached chapter 13 in The Evil Within 2.

The game clearly has a lot of rough edges. The enemy AI has the tendency to break (some enemies literally stop moving) if they lose sight of you and its kinda hilarious how even scripted ambushes can be turned completely around by a quick knife to the back while enemies are spawning.

Now that I have pretty decent upgrades, the game's quite fun. Why you need to unlock skills like "stealth kill behind a corner" or "smoke bombs are now actually useful" is beyond me.

Torres was great but the cabin scene made me realize no game since RE4 has done it anywhere near as well. That part in RE4 is fantastic.

I wonder if you could stealth kill the boss in chapter 12? Didnt get a chance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

al-azad posted:

but there’s more going on than even a bigger budget game like say Outcast.

???????????????????????

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ulukai! Buy your mons here!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Agent Escalus posted:

Those were probably pre-sales, I don't think people will make the same mistake on their new game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

While I liked the game, yeah the sheer glut of "PLEASE LOOK AT MY YOUTUBE/TWITCH CHANNEL" names graffiti'd on the walls of the early game felt really intrusive, they do stop after a bit though.

The sacrifices you have to make with a Kickstarter, although the graffiti isn't a thing after the first fifteen minutes.

FreudianSlippers posted:

???????????????????????

Even my phone knows to correct to the better game.

WaltherFeng posted:

Torres was great but the cabin scene made me realize no game since RE4 has done it anywhere near as well. That part in RE4 is fantastic.

I wonder if you could stealth kill the boss in chapter 12? Didnt get a chance.

You talking about the flamethrower guy? He can be stealth killed.

I always judge these kinds of games by their inevitable house siege area and yeah, all of them come up short compared to RE4. The worst is RE6 in the gun shop where you're just killing waves of zombies for way too long. No interactivity, no interesting twist like the house catching on fire in TEW1, just waves of zombies with tons of ammo until they decide to move on.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Any horror shooter with an area defence section always sucks compared to RE4, true. While I absolutely loved TW2, even that had the house defence part completely stumble by having the area be way too small. In RE4, you had the early part where you had the entire village section in which you dynamically changed to protecting the one house you barricaded and into getting back out again once that got too dangerous and the later section with the one house surrounded by enemies having you close entrances and push down ladders, both set pieces had you doing a lot of stuff aside from just shooting incoming enemies. You really just need options to make those parts feel dynamic and exciting, which both TW games completely hosed up in trying to emulate. If you don't feel like you have any other way to do the part than just shooting people when they invade your safe space, It's gonna feel pretty boring and linear.

e: also yeah that part in RE6 also sucked. I generally like that game but all the set pieces and scripted sequences just get into the way of the great core gameplay all around.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just TEW2. Wow that finale was more than I expected.

The game really won me over half way through. I really liked all the references to the original game and how the story played out.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Just TEW2. Wow that finale was more than I expected.

The game really won me over half way through. I really liked all the references to the original game and how the story played out.
Hell yeah, satisfying endings feel pretty rare nowadays, even if TEW2 had to get kinda contrived to pull it off.

The main 'reference' to the TEW1 bosses was one of the most amazingly satisfying parts in any video game imo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The big problem I have with TEW2 is Ruvik is just gone from the plot. The first game ends with a cliffhanger based exclusively around the possibility of him escaping into the real world, and then the story is just tossed to the side for the sequel. The most he ever gets is Sebastian going "Hmm, wonder if that'll come back to bite us in the rear end" and then dropping it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

The big problem I have with TEW2 is Ruvik is just gone from the plot. The first game ends with a cliffhanger based exclusively around the possibility of him escaping into the real world, and then the story is just tossed to the side for the sequel. The most he ever gets is Sebastian going "Hmm, wonder if that'll come back to bite us in the rear end" and then dropping it.

In a perfect situation we would get a sequel that sees him return as the primary antagonist since he is most likely the only person who has any knowledge on STEM and motive to use it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd like to think that if TEW3 ever gets made, it wouldn't star Sebastian as the protagonist but rather Kidman or even Joseph, trying to fight off the remnant of Ruvik's psyche.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I feel tew2 was a good sidestep. It let them make more tew while also changing things up thematically. And iirc it was pretty drat successful so I can't see how 3 would not get created down the line and :holymoley: did the tech get an upgrade between 1 and 2. I'm looking forward to 3 and its very likely antagonist.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WaltherFeng posted:

In a perfect situation we would get a sequel that sees him return as the primary antagonist since he is most likely the only person who has any knowledge on STEM and motive to use it.
They set that up at the end of 2, because I think he'd be the only one able to reactive STEM what with every Moebius member dead. I only played 2 so I may be wrong.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 9, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m pretty sure the reason he wasn’t in TEW2 is because he’s the perfect loose end to make a third game out of.

He was a much better villain than anything in TEW2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's also the STEM agent who escapes and you find a note that's like "there's a 50/50 chance of this failing." He mentions knowing how to disable his chip as well.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 8, 2018

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

There's also the STEM agent who escapes and you find a note that's like "there's a 50/50 chance of this failing." He mentions knowing how to disable his chip as well.

I'd prefer if they didn't bring him up ever again since that makes it ~~spookier~~ tbh.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah with horror leaving some things intentionally unexplained is legit cool, and also good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

When I read that file I just thought to myself

Yup, he's hosed. (It was 1 in 4 chance)

The funny thing is its an optional quest so you can technically screw him over intentionally.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any takes on HellSign? Came out today, pitch sounds interesting (investigative horror-hunting game), but I am wary of EA.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ZearothK posted:

Any takes on HellSign? Came out today, pitch sounds interesting (investigative horror-hunting game), but I am wary of EA.

It looks really cool, I'd love to know if it's a good game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's veeery early access. The blueprints for a good game are there but combat is rough and dialog is pretty terrible. Like the first NPC you meet greets you by saying "oi, oval office!" and proceeds to talk about loving two sisters out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
You know what makes a horror game instantly lose all sense of fright, suspense and atmosphere? Dying over and over to the same thing.

I recently picked up resident evil 7 and I got to the chainsaw fight and I've died at least a dozen times, probably more. I just can't beat it.

Up until that point I was loving it. I was tense and scared and really into the atmosphere and story, and now I'm just annoyed and frustrated.