Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

e: poo poo, funny pictures thread. Um.

Tashilicious posted:

You may have noticed that Catholic Canon is more than just the bible. There are, in fact, two thousand years of theological and metaphysical arguments of things not explicit in the bible, because the bible did not cover certain topics, and the Church needed them covered.

It's like going "There's nothing in the constitution about managing radio waves so really the US Government are loving retards"

Yeah, but the extended universe stuff is pretty wild.

Like Limbo. If Original Sin exists then even newborn babies are sinners. And if all sinners go to hell, then newborn babies that die go to hell. Maybe stillbirths and miscarriages, if they have souls (some think you don't get a soul until your first breath). Catholics have baptism take place shortly after birth which is supposed to be some sort of patch that keeps tiny children saved but not saved saved until they reach the age of understanding and can get for real saved. But still, some babies die before that happens. Which would leave tiny infants in eternal conscious torment for the Original Sins they inherited . . . which is an uncomfortable theological position. But obviously they can't go to heaven either. So a long while back the catholics invented Limbo, a place where unbaptised babies could go for an eternity of bliss and isolation. Then a few years back the pope said Limbo probably doesn't exist, we don't know what happens to the babies but we hope for mercy.

2000 years of people going "but what about?" and then trying to fill in the blanks with whatever sounds close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CloFan posted:

So did Mary not sin at all in her early life?

Well she did, but she did through a hole in a bed sheet.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

CloFan posted:

So did Mary not sin at all in her early life?

Pretty sure all women are eternally evil thanks to Eve, so I'm not sure what kind of story she managed to weave to look so innocent.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

But cheese is good, no argument there as long as it's loaded with maggots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWmpg6p8Cds&t=278s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Facebook Aunt posted:

Like Limbo. If Original Sin exists then even newborn babies are sinners. And if all sinners go to hell, then newborn babies that die go to hell. Maybe stillbirths and miscarriages, if they have souls (some think you don't get a soul until your first breath). Catholics have baptism take place shortly after birth which is supposed to be some sort of patch that keeps tiny children saved but not saved saved until they reach the age of understanding and can get for real saved. But still, some babies die before that happens. Which would leave tiny infants in eternal conscious torment for the Original Sins they inherited . . . which is an uncomfortable theological position. But obviously they can't go to heaven either. So a long while back the catholics invented Limbo, a place where unbaptised babies could go for an eternity of bliss and isolation. Then a few years back the pope said Limbo probably doesn't exist, we don't know what happens to the babies but we hope for mercy.

2000 years of people going "but what about?" and then trying to fill in the blanks with whatever sounds close enough.

Well I mean as long as we're all agreed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Pretty sure all women are eternally evil thanks to Eve, so I'm not sure what kind of story she managed to weave to look so innocent.

Probably just put her hair in pigtails.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And on the night of conception of our Lord Jesus Christ, God spake unto Mary, saying,

RCarr posted:

Get a load of this guy.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Moon Slayer posted:

The more I learn about older Catholic doctrine, rituals, and apocrypha, the more I wonder if I would have stayed in the Church if that kind of stuff was still around.

What was that early christian death cult where they would try to trick people into killing them? They would get drunk af and pick fights with roman soldiers and poo poo to "martyr" because they believed they would auto go to heaven if a non christian killed them and it was better then the hell dimension they lived in. asking for a friend who may want to convert.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

snergle posted:

What was that early christian death cult where they would try to trick people into killing them? They would get drunk af and pick fights with roman soldiers and poo poo to "martyr" because they believed they would auto go to heaven if a non christian killed them and it was better then the hell dimension they lived in. asking for a friend who may want to convert.

Mormonism

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Facebook Aunt posted:

In the ream of grognarding the system, the Catholic church has nothing on Orthodox Judaism

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dannywilson posted:

In the ream of grognarding the system, the Catholic church has nothing on Orthodox Judaism

There's that Jewish tale/joke about a pair of rabbis arguing about some technicality, God himself descends to say one of them is actually right, and depending on the telling it's either 'well now it's two against one' or both of them saying 'This has nothing to do with you', the latter has God take it in very good humour and is later found laughing on his throne in Heaven, and tells an angel that his children have defeated him.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Facebook Aunt posted:

PYF Funny Pictures: newborn babies that die go to hell

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's that Jewish tale/joke about a pair of rabbis arguing about some technicality, God himself descends to say one of them is actually right, and depending on the telling it's either 'well now it's two against one' or both of them saying 'This has nothing to do with you', the latter has God take it in very good humour and is later found laughing on his throne in Heaven, and tells an angel that his children have defeated him.

I like this about Judaism. It's often literally Jews just arguing with God, and neither side really wins? It's just... An argument that's been happening since the time of Abraham and both sides are just like "Yeah this is how it's done" and get really creative with ways to skirt right on the edge of the letter of the rule without breaking it, but then entirely violating the spirit of it and shrugging.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

lmbao that's not Jesus, that's a vampire. Where's his reflection you ninny?! You nincompoop! You god damned lamebrain!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

snergle posted:

You're probably thinking of the Circumcellions, one of the more unfortunately named cults.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlockChainNetflix posted:

lmbao that's not Jesus, that's a vampire. Where's his reflection you ninny?! You nincompoop! You god damned lamebrain!

Vampires don't cast reflections because a lot of early mirrors were silvered hth

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Vampires don't cast reflections because a lot of early mirrors were silvered hth

Yeah, thinking about it it probably is Jesus. I retract my statement.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

He wore the mirror finish off completely with his radical moves

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
He outbuffed the floor.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tashilicious posted:

You may have noticed that Catholic Canon is more than just the bible. There are, in fact, two thousand years of theological and metaphysical arguments of things not explicit in the bible, because the bible did not cover certain topics, and the Church needed them covered.

It's like going "There's nothing in the constitution about managing radio waves so really the US Government are loving retards"

just because the catholics made up a bunch of poo poo doesnt make them not retarded. this is ur theological lesson for the week

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tashilicious posted:

I like this about Judaism. It's often literally Jews just arguing with God, and neither side really wins? It's just... An argument that's been happening since the time of Abraham and both sides are just like "Yeah this is how it's done" and get really creative with ways to skirt right on the edge of the letter of the rule without breaking it, but then entirely violating the spirit of it and shrugging.

Kind of the idea of the Jewish relationship with god is specifically meant to be a contract, I think. Ark of the Covenant and all that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

They are aware it's a vampire.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Caufman posted:

They are aware it's a vampire.

He has people sink their teeth into his body and drink his blood. A shameful vampire

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He was clever to get staked to wood rather than staked by wood, so credit where credit is due.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, so this is what we're derailing about?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's that dude's gripe with the Atlantic ocean?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Atlantis is just full of fuckers.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey OP could you extend the rule from October reflected in the thread title for the rest of the year?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sponge Baathist posted:

Hey OP could you extend the rule from October reflected in the thread title for the rest of the year?

Na it was awful the back half of October all the pictures were the lowest effort (much like your posting)

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

I gave Jesus a subtle reflection. This should end any discussion about vampirism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

The more I learn about older Catholic doctrine, rituals, and apocrypha, the more I wonder if I would have stayed in the Church if that kind of stuff was still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8JBWdQ2l8&t=1224s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

This should end any discussion about vampirism.

Now it's about lichs!

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Now it's about lichs!

Do liches have reflections? I can remove the reflection if they don't.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Only if they are thoughtful.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We drink Jesus but Dracula drinks us.

Obviously Dracula is a much more logical choice for LORD and/or saviour.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If you don't have a reflection, do you still cast a shadow?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

We drink Jesus but Dracula drinks us.

Obviously Dracula is a much more logical choice for LORD and/or saviour.

Ehhh, that would be an ecumenical matter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012