Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ka-knewt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

This kids are alright

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1059835249776058368?s=19

NO WAIT gently caress THOSE DEMOCRACY-HATING SHITTERS

Who even wants to go boating in november, dumb rear end kid

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pkells posted:

MA always seems to have Republican governors. I think the only exception since the 80’s was Deval Patrick.

From what I remember of Romney when I still lived up there, he was pretty good. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the healthcare plan he instituted in MA the framework for what later became the ACA nationwide?

Yeah essentially, although MA took a lot of its inspiration from the Swiss system, which is very similar. It was funny watching Obama and company routinely point out that the ACA Romney purported to be running against was literally of his own creation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pkells posted:

MA always seems to have Republican governors. I think the only exception since the 80’s was Deval Patrick.

From what I remember of Romney when I still lived up there, he was pretty good. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the healthcare plan he instituted in MA the framework for what later became the ACA nationwide?

It was. And what the gently caress is the point of having a moderate republican gov in MA when they go onto the national scene and bend the loving knee to fascist policies of the national party structure? Better to smother in the crib imo.

Baker seems fine now until he's running for national office and doing the "well actually" when asked if we should shoot people for not going to church on Sunday in 2024.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Our new streetcar/tram line opened last week and despite the best efforts of suburban and rural Republicans to kill it, it works great in the limited area it covers (due to the aforementioned Republican efforts). It just happens to stop right outside my polling location so I think I'll ride it there to vote just out of spite for conservatives. :toot:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Is this the vote where we finally LOCK HER UP?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Voted to legalize weed, kill the gerrymander, and a slate of super good voter registration laws (same-day, no-reason absentee, etc.). Kudos to Michigan activists, they got a good slate of initiatives on the ballot in a blue wave year.

Also pleasantly surprised the the vast majority of names I ticked off this morning were female or minority. I’m pulling for Gretchen Whitmer, some may call her a succdem but I still have the card she sent my husband and I after our wedding. I met with her twice about same sex marriage when she was in the state senate and she or someone on her staff were shrewd enough to spot our marriage announcement from either Facebook or the paper.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Voted to legalize weed, kill the gerrymander, and a slate of super good voter registration laws (same-day, no-reason absentee, etc.).
:(
Atlanta didn't have any fun things on the ballot, we're just voting to smother real lovely things like Marcy's Dad's Law, Business Court, or Non-Bottomless Mimosas Sunday's and hopefully toss the Republicans out of the governors mansion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Both me and the wife threw down for the blue wave.

Defenestrategy posted:

:(
Atlanta didn't have any fun things on the ballot, we're just voting to smother real lovely things like Marcy's Dad's Law, Business Court, or Non-Bottomless Mimosas Sunday's and hopefully toss the Republicans out of the governors mansion.

I voted against the Marcy's law, after reading about it a bit, its basically stuff that is already law. But despite not being a drinker, totally voted for the Alcohol legislation, since limited alcohol purchased on Sunday due to church is stupid theology, and I'm having none of that.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Voted to legalize weed, kill the gerrymander, and a slate of super good voter registration laws (same-day, no-reason absentee, etc.). Kudos to Michigan activists, they got a good slate of initiatives on the ballot in a blue wave year.

Also pleasantly surprised the the vast majority of names I ticked off this morning were female or minority. I’m pulling for Gretchen Whitmer, some may call her a succdem but I still have the card she sent my husband and I after our wedding. I met with her twice about same sex marriage when she was in the state senate and she or someone on her staff were shrewd enough to spot our marriage announcement from either Facebook or the paper.

i wonder if i can bring weed across the border if MI legalizes

When I flew home for thanksgiving at the beginning of october they already had signs up saying you can bring weed on domestic flights but you're gonna get hosed if you try and bring it on US/international bound flights

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
there's absolutely zero chance you'll be able to bring weed across the border until it's federally legal

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Vasudus posted:

there's absolutely zero chance you'll be able to bring weed across the border until it's federally legal

what about from MI to ontario? its federally legal in all of canada

edit: i dont know why im asking you, id have to ask a canadian border person

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

CommieGIR posted:

Both me and the wife threw down for the blue wave.

I voted against the Marcy's law, after reading about it a bit, its basically stuff that is already law. But despite not being a drinker, totally voted for the Alcohol legislation, since limited alcohol purchased on Sunday due to church is stupid theology, and I'm having none of that.

I also voted against Marcys law, the idea seems ok, but I'm not gonna give a state run by republicans any more reasons to lock up POC

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

about 20 years ago in september the white house announced a major marijuana-related announcement after the midterms.

I figure this means that Trump is finally going to get rid of sessions via rage-stroke by announcing they're letting states decide legality and ignoring it at the federal level. either that or they're turbo-criminalizing it (most likely outcome).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The wife of a good friend of mine that was the other fireteam leader with me on a deployment is running for SoS in MI.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

id say drive to sault sainte marie and i can hook you up but im almost out and im leaving friday (I loving hope, been here over 6 months this year)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

id say drive to sault sainte marie and i can hook you up but im almost out and im leaving friday (I loving hope, been here over 6 months this year)

you never leave DA SOO

ever

it is within you for the rest of your life.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
My local election is very boring. Don Beyer is like a +20 favorite, Tim Kaine is deffo gonna win, our city’s mayor is running unopposed. I got to vote on allowing tax breaks for coastal homeowners who flood-proof their home which is LAME AS HELL

Really looking forward to see how amendment 4 does in Florida

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Voted more funding for public schools and to raise local elected officials’ pay to the very modest median local income. You shouldn’t have to be already wealthy to represent people, especially at the local politics level.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Voted more funding for public schools and to raise local elected officials’ pay to the very modest median local income. You shouldn’t have to be already wealthy to represent people, especially at the local politics level.

loving yikes, that's an uphill battle for that initiative.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I've been coming here the last 3 years but only for 2 weeks/month long stints but there was a major gas expansion, and now fibre to the home so I've been stuck up here cause I don't have a wife or kids like 80% of my coworkers so I'm first I'm line to get shipped out.

Bought a house July 6th and I've been in it 20 days all year 😡

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thalantos posted:

I also voted against Marcys law, the idea seems ok, but I'm not gonna give a state run by republicans any more reasons to lock up POC

ACLU doesn't like it, and I'm rather inclined to believe them.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/victims-rights-proposals-marsys-law-undermine-due-process

ACLU posted:

The U.S. Constitution and all 50 state constitutions guarantee defendants’ rights because they are rights against the state, not because they are valued more by society than victims’ rights. Defendants’ rights only apply when the state is attempting to deprive the accused – not the victim – of life, liberty, or property. They serve as essential checks against government abuse, preventing the government from arresting and imprisoning anyone, for any reason, at any time.

Victims’ rights are not rights against the state. Instead, they are rights against another individual. The Marsy’s Law formula includes the rights to restitution, to reasonable protection, and to refuse depositions and discovery requests, all of which are enforced against the defendant. Such rights do nothing to check the power of the government. In fact, many of the provisions in Marsy’s Law could actually strengthen the state’s hand against a defendant, undermining a bedrock principle of our legal system — the presumption of innocence.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1059853235782070272

https://twitter.com/tomreganWSB/status/1059838200699674624

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/1059836383177494533

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This poo poo is so archaic. In this modern day and age. Holy poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

This poo poo is so archaic. In this modern day and age. Holy poo poo.

We can play too.

Free State of Jones is a great movie that critics didn't like because it subverted their expectations in ways they didn't for.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Casimir Radon posted:

We can play too.

Free State of Jones is a great movie that critics didn't like because it subverted their expectations in ways they didn't for.

Ha I never heard the critics didn't like it. I thought it was pretty good+original.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

We can play too.

What a predictable comments section on a video about voting rights during reconstruction!

I wonder how they feel about Democrats tearing down their own participation trophies, though?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 6, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, the comments suck.

my kinda ape posted:

Ha I never heard the critics didn't like it. I thought it was pretty good+original.
64% on RT. Dickheads didn't get their happy ending, and didn't grasp why the 1950s scenes were in there, so they rated it low.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

64% on RT. Dickheads didn't get their happy ending, and didn't grasp why the 1950s scenes were in there, so they rated it low.

america isnt racist, we elected a black man president!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gotta watch it I guess. I’m sure there’s tons of people who don’t know anything about the southern shift.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I finally snapped last night and demanded some asshat relatives screeching "hurrr Party of Lincoln" go all the way with that and admit Sherman did nothing wrong.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/dataeditor/status/1059821684738416640

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Gotta watch it I guess. I’m sure there’s tons of people who don’t know anything about the southern shift.
There's one particularly heinous Reconstruction era thing I'd never even heard of until I saw it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

I finally snapped last night and demanded some asshat relatives screeching "hurrr Party of Lincoln" go all the way with that and admit Sherman did nothing wrong.

Sherman’s crimes were against Indians, not the rebels.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Just gonna be screaming in my brain all day

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Comey-san!

https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1059854144775876608

https://twitter.com/RealCriticalMas/status/1059861265445777408

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

gently caress comey

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

gently caress comey

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comey is the green ranger of US politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Deathy McDeath posted:

My local election is very boring. Don Beyer is like a +20 favorite, Tim Kaine is deffo gonna win, our city’s mayor is running unopposed. I got to vote on allowing tax breaks for coastal homeowners who flood-proof their home which is LAME AS HELL

Really looking forward to see how amendment 4 does in Florida

The only fun thing about my election (same rep as you) was voting for a dem for the county council against an independent and voting against a woman who's running for school board that made keeping high schools named after confederates her first point.