Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How do I preserve an issue for an appellate dungeonmaster to hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

why is this poo poo on another booooooooooooooook :argh:

ok fair enough that's a more reasonable amount of wealth then

Xanathar's is pretty much the corrections book, about stuff they should have elaborated on more.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's great that my DM, whom only plays martials, is finally understanding that I could totally be a dick with my lore bard with only casting certain spells all the time. When we were flying on an airship, we encountered a frost giant on a flying dragon and he started attacking us. The giant boarded us and after a few melee attacks, I polymorphed him into a box turtle. He was totally fine with that happening since its cool and legal, but then asked why I dont do that all the time. "Gentlemans agreement".

This is the same DM that has asked why I dont want any more magical items other than the Mac-Fuirmidh cittern he gave me. After incapacitating about 9 barbarians that have disadvantage on wis saves with Hypnotic Pattern, he finally understood why.

Box turtle got tossed off the side of the ship also.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The turtle giant would have survived. He will be back for revenge I bet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How do I preserve an issue for an appellate dungeonmaster to hear

Interlocutory appeals would be the norm not the exception to preserve roleplaying

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

frajaq posted:

why is this poo poo on another booooooooooooooook :argh:

ok fair enough that's a more reasonable amount of wealth then

There is a reason that for all it's flaws, the loving bizzare editing of 5th ed is consistently my biggest annoyance.

See again: "Here is the combat chapter entry dedicated to Prone. PS: We won't tell you about the combat advantage/disadvantage aspects of Prone until literally 100 pages later in the status effects section. No fair critiquing, we said 'see appendix for more in the combat section!'"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 6, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are expected to get more then one.

Taking a look Xanathar's says

Also breastplates are expensive.

why do you keep referencing Xanathar and not the DMG

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

you guys are confusing me!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

why do you keep referencing Xanathar and not the DMG

Xanathar's Optional Errata That You Have To Pay For is slightly less stupid than the DMG about some things.

The optional versions of core rules that you might get to use if your DM thinks they're a good idea that it contains do alleviate some of the problems that could crop up if you follow the text in the DMG instead of being A Good DM.

Therefore there are no problems whatsoever with the game, at all, except for the minor ones which don't even count.

Anyone who disagrees with me just hates Armor Class for no reason at all, since your AC number usually goes up when you wear better armor.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 6, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think i'm just used to poorly edited RPG books after running World of Darkness stuff. Rules text sprinkled randomly between giant paragraphs of purple prose that tells you absolutely nothing.

After that 5e is a joy to read, but thats just my experience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Xanathar's Optional Errata That You Have To Pay For is slightly less stupid than the DMG about some things.

The optional versions of core rules that you might get to use if your DM thinks they're a good idea that it contains do alleviate some of the problems that could crop up if you follow the text in the DMG instead of being A Good DM.

Therefore there are no problems whatsoever with the game, at all, except for the minor ones which don't even count.

Anyone who disagrees with me just hates Armor Class for no reason at all, since your AC number usually goes up when you wear better armor.

Don't be an rear end.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's not covered by the rules to gently caress over warlocks at every opportunity, but so many people will gladly suggest it even for so much as adding a Fey flavor text to Arcane Trickster or Mage Initiate feat.

Which I guess is why "TECHNICALLY the rules cover 'Magic Weapons: Needed?'... But also that module is loving dumb" always seems like a harmless diversion by comparison.

Of course my gamer experience is also chock full of "The rules specifically in plain and unquestionable text say I can have or do X" "Oh... uh... Well gently caress you then" in any system from Star wars to HERO/Champions, etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 6, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Heh, we just got into an encounter tonight against wererats and we also didn’t have magic weapons. We’re only level two and it was a published adventure so the DM didn’t put too much forethought into it, but when she realized how stupid the fight was (most of the party was melee) she nerfed their published numbers and hit points and decided hunter’s mark damage was magical because it came from a spell. Thankfully we had a full caster (warlock) in the party to do most of the damage or it would have been even more pathetic.

Immunity shouldn’t be used lightly. It only works well if the party expects the immunity ahead of time and can find some way to prepare for it or, absent forewarning, can safely run away and prepare for a rematch later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I played 5e tonight and it was kinda boring and the mechanics are just bland boredom. Also it's amusing that it's TYOOL 2014 and my cleric's in combat healing was still pointless compared to damage or other effects but now there's Hit Dice so I didn't need to heal outside of combat either. People and game were good, system bad.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Antiquated Pants posted:

8Monk/1Rogue:
Boon of Fate:
This is actually copied directly from the Boon section of the book since this player was out for so long I wanted to give him a little bonus and it pairs well with his character's style and Lucky feat.
GTFOH, really? by the book it is, I guess. :shrug:

quote:

+2 Staff of Sh'yan Mìngx:
Yah, I don't have anything specific planned out but it's for an upgrade later. Basically, when the player finds something he thinks will be cool, I'll add the power that's appropriate. Side note, he ALMOST jammed in the black crystal of Fraz-Urb’luu, a trapped demon lord... That would've been interesting.
Totally gonna be a bad influence here, but you should subtly try and get him to do exactly that. :v:

quote:

Cleric:
+1 Vivacious Shield of Pep: 
I never really intended there to be a limit, it was mostly copy-paste from a homebrew item I liked and slightly adjusted.
In that case, there either should be a limit (maybe once per short rest?), or no limit to how long it can remain animated at all. Personally, I'd lean towards the latter, since you're starting to hit the levels where magic should be powerful, even if it's just a floating +3 AC boost that lets you use both hands.

quote:

Ancient Pommel of the Warhammer of Making Peace: 
This was originally a whole hammer, but I hastily edited when my player mentioned not wanting to give up Dawn Bringer (duh) so I said it was a pommel (I had just played a ton of God of War 3), so I said it was an attachment, the details weren't very important to us. It's acting just like like your leather wraps idea, but that's just not in the name.
I can dig it, especially because your player has something they're not really willing to give up yet, so might as well make it work rather than force it into obsolescence.

quote:

Rogue:
+2 Blade of the Spitting Viper (Dagger):
I will probably up the DC for this per your suggestion.

Quiver of Elemental Furiosity: 
Upgrades available, yes. This player only traded in a few magic items and the current gems in it correspond with the elements associated with those traded items.
Honestly, probably the stuff I had the least issues with, and would absolutely want as magic items.

quote:

Sorcerer:
This guy LOVES wild magic, so much so that we house-ruled cantrips to trigger a roll. Also, when in faezress (a magical mist permeating through the underdark), wild magic triggers on 19 and 20. The Chaotic Wonder is the first thing he used with his new staff. :madmax:
You do you, I guess. I just have some serious PTSD from jackoffs playing wild mages back in 2e, and 5th has done pretty much nothing to really make me reconsider my stance.

quote:

Obsidian Shard from the Plane of Elemental Fire (Staff): 
I think I'll make the charges bonus actions, I want them to get used! Then it won't feel like wasting a turn to maybe entangle someone, and attack someone else for a bit of crowd control.
My point was more, I'd never use the flame whip, because it doesn't do enough to matter, really. That, and the greatsword form is actually kinda strong, comparatively.

Lemme take a crack at it (and feel free to completely ignore it)

Obsidian Shard of Elemental Flame (Weapon (staff), Very rare, Requires attunement, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock or Wizard only)
This staff is a solid piece of black glass, warm to the touch with an internal warmth. Once attuned, it bestows the following effects:
- The wielder of this staff is immune to all Fire damage, magical or otherwise.
- At a whim, the wielder may have the staff shed light. This light is bright within a 10' radius, becoming dim for another 10'. This light will last until the wielder wishes otherwise, but will only work while the staff has at least one charge remaining. If 5e had free actions, this would be a free action.
- Healing Warmth (1 charge/person affected): During a rest period, the wielder may choose to expend 1 charge of the staff per person they wish to affect. Those chosen heal the maximum amount of any hit dice spent during that rest period.
- Obsidian Greatsword (1+ charges): As a bonus action, the staff becomes a greatsword, which the wielder is automatically proficient with (if they aren't already). The wielder attacks with the greatsword as a melee spell attack, and upon a successful hit may expend up to 3 charges to add that many d6 of Fire damage as well as the normal weapon damage of the greatsword. This form lasts for a number of rounds equal to the wielder's Spellcasting Modifier before reverting back to a staff, and may not be reactivated for a number of rounds equal to the charges expended in the most recent greatsword form.
- Binding Fire (2 charges): As an action, the wielder may expend 2 charges and force a target within 15 feet to make a Strength saving throw. If successful, the target takes 2d6 Fire damage. If the target fails, however, they take 4d6 Fire damage and are restrained. At the start of their turn, the target may make another Strength saving throw, with the same results as above (if they are restrained and pass their saving throw, they are no longer restrained, but still take damage). The wielder does not need to maintain this restraint, and may affect multiple targets simultaneously over the course of an encounter.
- Fireball (4 charges): as the spell Fireball.
- Fire Storm (7 charges): as the spell Fire Storm.
- If 3 or more charges are expended at once, the DM may roll on the Tricks table (DMG p. 298), and if so, applies the effects thereof at the end of the wielder's turn. If Fire Storm is used, the DM not only rolls twice on the table, but it also causes a Wild Surge as well (even if the wielder is not a Wild Magic Sorcerer).

The staff begins with 10+1d6 charges, and may have a maximum of 20 charges. At dawn, the staff replenishes 5 charges, and by immolating the staff in a fire of campfire-size or larger, the staff will recover an additional charge per hour, up to it's maximum (the staff will never become hot, however). If all charges are expended, there is a 1-in-20 chance of the entire staff shattering into worthless glass ash.

This way, if the guy wants to burn people down with the greatsword, he's actually going to be expending charges to do so. However, it's not far and away the best option, as Binding Fire can deal significant damage as well as possibly lock something down. Of course, there's always the Fire Storm nuclear option, which could backfire beautifully. To give them the option of possibly doing that multiple times, I upped the maximum charges of the staff, so that way there's just enough to get two shots of Fire Storm and not be completely crippled. Also added a "fire absorption" method of recharging the staff as well, because it felt flavorful.

quote:

Effervescent Candle of Whimsy: 
Yah this was sorta from the book. I made the counting part WAY more powerful (and added wild magic) to be more tempting to the player, and change the spell from GATE because I didn't want to ruin the final boss if they did that...
I mean, you could instead have it be, say, Melf's Minute Meteors cast with a 5th-level slot (so 10 meteors, fired at the beginning and end of the round). That way, you kinda have a roman candle effect, can still deal considerable damage, and force more of a choice. Now, it's whether to go with the slow burn and get a whole bunch of benefits, or roman candle it up for 5 rounds, getting guaranteed 10d6 fire damage (and can get up to double that if they fail all their saves).

quote:

Thanks for the advice, I don't mind people tearing my ideas apart! Though it's been a while, this is still my first campaign DMing and none of us played any other editions before. We're all old gamers though so we're pretty reasonable about balance and house rules and adjusting things that don't seem right. It only takes a read-through of any of the books to realize the rules aren't particularly well written, and sometimes flat out contradictory in different parts of a book!

We still have a blast playing though!

Yeah, having fun is really what it all boils down to. Even if you don't go with the possible changes I'm putting forth here, I can tell just from the fact that you're trying to throw them a bunch of neat poo poo that your players are worth playing with. Rock the gently caress on, man, and keep doing what you're doing.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 6, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Arivia posted:

I played 5e tonight and it was kinda boring and the mechanics are just bland boredom. Also it's amusing that it's TYOOL 2014 and my cleric's in combat healing was still pointless compared to damage or other effects but now there's Hit Dice so I didn't need to heal outside of combat either. People and game were good, system bad.

Guys, is Arivia okay?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Uh you are four years off.

nelson posted:

Heh, we just got into an encounter tonight against wererats and we also didn’t have magic weapons. We’re only level two and it was a published adventure so the DM didn’t put too much forethought into it, but when she realized how stupid the fight was (most of the party was melee) she nerfed their published numbers and hit points and decided hunter’s mark damage was magical because it came from a spell. Thankfully we had a full caster (warlock) in the party to do most of the damage or it would have been even more pathetic.

Immunity shouldn’t be used lightly. It only works well if the party expects the immunity ahead of time and can find some way to prepare for it or, absent forewarning, can safely run away and prepare for a rematch later.

Which Module out of curiosity. If I end up running it, It's good to learn of stuff ahead of time that one should edit.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 6, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which Module out of curiosity. If I end up running it, It's good to learn of stuff ahead of time that one should edit.
Well if you clearly read between the lines you would know they were referring to the year of release for 5th edition :pseudo:

So far as wanting to live in the most optimistic timeline goes, at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 6, 2018

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I think I have come across an issue with my melee Tempest Cleric build. In that it actually fails to scale well at all.

So basically the game is setup for damage dealers to effectively scale up at lvl 5, 11 and 17 (roughly). This basically occurs with things like extra attacks or damage upgrades for basic cantrips. On top of this dedicated damage dealers will also have bonuses through hit or casting modifiers and or abilities to improve. For example eldritch blast has Agonising blast, Wizard has Empowered Evocation, sorcerer has an equivalent etc.. The differing classes/subclasses will scale different based on flavour and additional abilities and the likes.

Now looking at my tempest cleric.. he gets divine strike at lvl 8 and lvl 14 for an increase of 1d8 thunder damage each time. Theres your scaling you might say. The issue is that this is only a slighly improved equivalent of Agonising blast for example as each of those 1d8s has an average damage increase of only 4.5 ( i think that's the correct probability). Most Warlocks will be doing +4 damage at level 4 let alone lvl 8 (ignoring that this actually applies to all Eldritch blast hits).

So basically by lvl 14 I will be doing (for a warhammer) 1d8 + strength 4 (due to MAD) + 9avg compared to another full caster (Evocation Wizard with Firebolt) which will be doing 3d10 + 5 which will go up to 4d10 + 5.

Its not a marathon behind but it really feels like when the tempest (or war etc..) domain really focus a lot on melee flavour through heavy armour/martial weapons/scaling melee attack that they then nerf the actual melee ability seems stupid. Yes Booming/Green blade exists but you have to take a feat to get it which does mean sacrificing important stat increases for it.

I just feel that the domains should have a few more pros/cons attached to them. Arcana domain makes sense to scale to cantrips more and maintain general spell usefulness. Just seems silly to only somewhat focus melee oriented domains though.

My issue really is that unless I DO go booming blade my best damage per round at lvl 5 is going to be sitting back and spam casting Toll the Dead for 2d12 whilst spamming spiritual weapon. Im a cleric of Thor drat it, you gotta hit em with your hammer!

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 6, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Check and see if Xanathars has any rules for detecting humor in social encounters.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Nutsngum posted:

I think I have come across an issue with my melee Tempest Cleric build. In that it actually fails to scale well at all.

So basically the game is setup for damage dealers to effectively scale up at lvl 5, 11 and 17 (roughly). This basically occurs with things like extra attacks or damage upgrades for basic cantrips. On top of this dedicated damage dealers will also have bonuses through hit or casting modifiers and or abilities to improve. For example eldritch blast has Agonising blast, Wizard has Empowered Evocation, sorcerer has an equivalent etc.. The differing classes/subclasses will scale different based on flavour and additional abilities and the likes.

Now looking at my tempest cleric.. he gets divine strike at lvl 8 and lvl 14 for an increase of 1d8 thunder damage each time. Theres your scaling you might say. The issue is that this is only a slighly improved equivalent of Agonising blast for example as each of those 1d8s has an average damage increase of only 4.5 ( i think that's the correct probability). Most Warlocks will be doing +4 damage at level 4 let alone lvl 8 (ignoring that this actually applies to all Eldritch blast hits).

So basically by lvl 14 I will be doing (for a warhammer) 1d8 + strength 4 (due to MAD) + 9avg compared to another full caster (Evocation Wizard with Firebolt) which will be doing 3d10 + 5 which will go up to 4d10 + 5.

Its not a marathon behind but it really feels like when the tempest (or war etc..) domain really focus a lot on melee flavour through heavy armour/martial weapons/scaling melee attack that they then nerf the actual melee ability seems stupid. Yes Booming/Green blade exists but you have to take a feat to get it which does mean sacrificing important stat increases for it.

I just feel that the domains should have a few more pros/cons attached to them. Arcana domain makes sense to scale to cantrips more and maintain general spell usefulness. Just seems silly to only somewhat focus melee oriented domains though.

My issue really is that unless I DO go booming blade my best damage per round at lvl 5 is going to be sitting back and spam casting Toll the Dead for 2d12 whilst spamming spiritual weapon. Im a cleric of Thor drat it, you gotta hit em with your hammer!

you are comparing your at will attack for a specific subclass focused for at wills, and spiritual weapon makes up the difference most of the time anyways. you got better hit dice and ac to stay in the fight. by 8th level you can destructive wrath around 6 times a adventuring day, maximizing your divine strikes or call lightning.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Minor spoilers ahead. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. It actually is pretty fun overall. I believe that particular quest was one of many side quests. It would have been alright if we had more clues/rumors about the fight so we knew regular weapons wouldn’t work. We met a smith that could make silvered or magical weapons if we had the gold but we didn’t have much gold at the time. There are several factions you can do favors for so maybe one of them could have let us borrow silvered weapons if we knew to ask. Or perhaps provided us with poisons or some other kind of workaround. Or maybe if we did the quests in a different order we could have done that one after we were rich enough to buy magic weapons. Anyway, it seemed like there were lots of opportunities for the DM to work something in given some preparation time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Proud Rat Mom posted:

you are comparing your at will attack for a specific subclass focused for at wills, and spiritual weapon makes up the difference most of the time anyways. you got better hit dice and ac to stay in the fight. by 8th level you can destructive wrath around 6 times a adventuring day, maximizing your divine strikes or call lightning.
No that was just the example I was using. Even if I we do just focus on the Wizard example, he has greater at will damage whilst also keeping spell versatility and scaling at a much faster rate as well.
Spiritual weapon does burn up a spell slot for that though which is a pretty decent cost for bringing you up in dps. I also just realised that Channel Divinity resets on a short rest and not a long one. First cleric afterall.

The hit dice and AC are exactly part of my point though. They both push for a melee style of engagement whilst your at will attacks lean heavily into ranged cantrips.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
just nail some silver pieces to a club

waaaaaay cheaper than some silvering one

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
get a bag of silvered ball bearings and make ghosts trip

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nelson posted:

Minor spoilers ahead. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. It actually is pretty fun overall. I believe that particular quest was one of many side quests. It would have been alright if we had more clues/rumors about the fight so we knew regular weapons wouldn’t work. We met a smith that could make silvered or magical weapons if we had the gold but we didn’t have much gold at the time. There are several factions you can do favors for so maybe one of them could have let us borrow silvered weapons if we knew to ask. Or perhaps provided us with poisons or some other kind of workaround. Or maybe if we did the quests in a different order we could have done that one after we were rich enough to buy magic weapons. Anyway, it seemed like there were lots of opportunities for the DM to work something in given some preparation time.

Thanks I am running that adventure next.

Kaysette posted:

Check and see if Xanathars has any rules for detecting humor in social encounters.

It was not funny.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nutsngum posted:

Here's how you melee Cleric:

Variant Human
16 8 15 8 16 8
1. Resilient (CON)
4. Magic Initiate (Wizard) for Find Familiar, Booming Blade, and a vanity cantrip.
8. WIS+2
12. WIS+2

There, done. Don't put anything more into Strength; it's not worth it when you've only got one attack. Your familiar will take care of accuracy. You want Resilient to maintain concentration and have decent HP. Wisdom is still your core stat so that's what you want to put the rest of your ASIs towards.

If you want to melee harder still, ask for a magical weapon or enchantment that deals lightning damage so you can proc Thunderbolt Strike on your melee hits in addition of with Wrath of the Storm. Take a moment to contemplate that foes repositioned as such need to move - and thus proc Booming Blade - to get back into melee.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was not funny.

Then please respond and explain how in-combat healing is at all viable in this mess of a game

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Arivia posted:

Then please respond and explain how in-combat healing is at all viable* in this mess of a game

Wait until somebody falls, get them back up again. Preferably 1 HP at a time using the Paladin's Lay On Hands, forcefeeding someone a Goodberry, etc.

*for varying levels of "viable"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Conspiratiorist posted:

Variant Human
16 8 15 8 16 8
1. Resilient (CON)
4. Magic Initiate (Wizard) for Find Familiar, Booming Blade, and a vanity cantrip.
8. WIS+2
12. WIS+2

There, done. Don't put anything more into Strength; it's not worth it when you've only got one attack. Your familiar will take care of accuracy. You want Resilient to maintain concentration and have decent HP. Wisdom is still your core stat so that's what you want to put the rest of your ASIs towards.

If you want to melee harder still, ask for a magical weapon or enchantment that deals lightning damage so you can proc Thunderbolt Strike on your melee hits in addition of with Wrath of the Storm. Take a moment to contemplate that foes repositioned as such need to move - and thus proc Booming Blade - to get back into melee.

Why booming blade? It only deals extra damage if they move so i don't see how it helps if you are in melee range already.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

CJ posted:

Why booming blade? It only deals extra damage if they move so i don't see how it helps if you are in melee range already.

Get a lightning enchanted weapon, hit with it, then:

Thunderbolt Strike
At 6th level, when you deal lightning damage to a Large or smaller creature, you can also push it up to 10 feet away from you.

They're either forced to use their (often inferior) ranged option, or trigger Booming Blade.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Variant Human
16 8 15 8 16 8
1. Resilient (CON)
8. WIS+2
12. WIS+2

Where are you getting 16/15/16 from?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

CJ posted:

The trickiest part of being a melee character is actually forcing people to stay in melee with you, or else people will just eat a negligible Attack of Opportunity and zip right past you, and Booming Blade helps in this regard.

The other helpful part is that it's a cantrip with cantrip scaling, which mitigates the problem of missing out on Extra Attacks. Remember that Booming Blade gains damage on both the front and back end, which makes its scaling exceptionally good.

Fake edit:

The 16/15/16 statline comes from being a Vuman, but that may not have been well communicated.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You're also trying to critfish with familiar advantage and Booming Blade + Divine Strike to maximize the ensuing 4d8 thunder damage with Channel Divinity. Advantage means about 1 in 10 hits will be crits, so you should be seeing it often enough.

Toshimo posted:

Where are you getting 16/15/16 from?

Variant Human gets +1 to two stats.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I'm thinking of trying to retool red hand of doom to be about an undead invasion, instead of a hobgoblin invasion. Anyone have any thoughts on whether that would work well, or would be a lovely patch-job

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Conspiratiorist posted:

Variant Human
16 8 15 8 16 8
1. Resilient (CON)
8. WIS+2
12. WIS+2

Also you have Call Lightning to cast and forget if you're fighting guys at range. 3d10 to 9d10 (possibly maximized) every action without burning more spell slots is good, and even making the saves still does half damage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Conspiratiorist posted:

Here's how you melee Cleric: recreate the DAoC Thane

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

My own Tempest Cleric is built more or less the same as what Conspiratiorist laid out, except I didn't take Find Familiar and instead took Shield(amusingly I later got a Shield... which lets me cast Shield based on a certain number of charges, and also use it on allies using more)

It is a very potent combo however. I do 1d8 from warhammer, 2d8 between my Divine Strike and Booming Blade(which you mostly always use), and then 1d6 of Lightning damage that has been imbued into the warhammer.

Now only dumb enemies should actually fall for running back to you more than once, but as was said this can cut off their escape especially if they are already injured... Particularly because you can use your Channel Divinity to maximize the 2d8(or higher) thunder done if they move, if you know it could bring them down.

But yeah after a point you also sort of become living artillery with Call Lightning. Both myself, and a table DM were a little disappointed Tempest Clerics didn't get Lightning Bolt.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Lightning Bolt + Destructive Would be rather busted, seeing as Fireball and LB are already kinda overpowered spells.

Still, upcasted Shatter with DW does 32, which is on par with the average of a Draconic Sorc's Fireball, and a 4 by 4 area is less unwieldy than Fireball's downright gross 8 by 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Lightning Bolt + Destructive Would be rather busted, seeing as Fireball and LB are already kinda overpowered spells.

Still, upcasted Shatter with DW does 32, which is on par with the average of a Draconic Sorc's Fireball, and a 4 by 4 area is less unwieldy than Fireball's downright gross 8 by 8.

I had the joy of upcasting Call Lightning to 4th Level, while also taking control of an existing storm. Being able to tell the DM "It does 50, halved if they save." Feels so very good.