Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Hope everyone has a perfect day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_JQ-7NnTas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
msnbc is trying to make your qanon uncle have an anuerysm

https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/status/1059795812195086336?s=19

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's weird hearing people complain about the lovely Scott Walker because every time someone mentions him it just reminds me of the former 60s pop singer turned experimental musician also named Scott Walker.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

It's weird hearing people complain about the lovely Scott Walker because every time someone mentions him it just reminds me of the former 60s pop singer turned experimental musician also named Scott Walker.

Yeah, same. It's pretty funny imagining everyone is pissed off about Plastic Palace People or something.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:same: but no no, next next

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:argh: "You should only sing Jacques Brel in the original French!!"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Franchescanado posted:

I liberated a bunch of dusty old trash vinyl from a friend's parents a few years back and amongst all the low-fi recorded for pleasure nonsense is an English language version of Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien.

Hearing Edith Piaf sing "No, No Regrets" instead of the original is the kind of too weird sensory illusion that straight up breaks my brain into pieces.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Like 90% of those Brel covers do have something that clearly wouldn't fly now, like Jackie having the line inside an opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen" or the real prominent slur in Next.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Like 90% of those Brel covers do have something that clearly wouldn't fly now, like Jackie having the line inside an opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen" or the real prominent slur in Next.

Yeah, but they're also always from the perspective of a character, like John Prine or Randy Newman songs. Next especially.

But that style of songwriting really doesn't fly today, even though Newman always used it for satire.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Maybe this belongs in the general questions thread, but what are some movies made in color that have had black & white cuts? There's the recent Mad Max and Logan, as well as The Mist, Nickelodeon, and Bong Joon-Ho's Mother, but are there any others?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/1059875886089060353?s=19

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

:eyepop: Lmaooo :eyepop:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just crushed a job interview.

Come on, Mother2018, you bitch. You owe me something at this point.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks for the reminder to watch Mishima: A Life in 4 chapters

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, same. It's pretty funny imagining everyone is pissed off about Plastic Palace People or something.

I like to picture that people who really like 60s pop vocal music are just outraged that he's scraping trash cans around and slapping meat for percussion.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

:hai:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1059619816187686913?s=19

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Earlier today I found some lovely youtube video from over a decade ago made by some loser from the forums calling out someone for being a shitposter and I'm pretty sure the guy in the video is Mr. Keyboard Goop himself.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Did you recognize his dick?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

Did you recognize his dick?

Thankfully he didn't show it this time.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Vincent posted:

Thanks for the reminder to watch Mishima: A Life in 4 chapters

its so good

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1059867331189489665?s=19

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

This is pretty good! Keep it up! You really have an eye for lighting

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I heard that Will Smith has a writer's room to come up with his YouTube channel ideas and sometimes I just think how wild being a celebrity is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Depending on if he came up with Report of the Week or Joeysworldtour will determine how good or evil Smith is

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, but they're also always from the perspective of a character, like John Prine or Randy Newman songs. Next especially.

But that style of songwriting really doesn't fly today, even though Newman always used it for satire.

i think that argument lands for something like Mathilde & some of the lines in Jackie (even tho that song's refrain is about Brel referring 2 himself by name) but I don't rly think the casual racism or the slur in Next necessarily adds to the characterization as opposed to muddling it slightly.
Like in Jackie, the blatant sexism of "expecting something in return" from women or starting brothels full of "young girls" or whatever I think add 2 this sort of absurd self-centered grandeur that's a reflection of insecure/contradictory masculinity. But I think the whole "opium den/chinamen" thing is relying on a racist shorthand to get the idea across of transgression & spaces that the singer inserts themselves in, etc. I don't think the line is there to suggest that the singer is racist & broadly stereotyping a whole race of people (as opposed to - say, Jello Biafra's 'n word' use in Holiday in Cambodia*) so I think it weakens the song overall & isn't needed compared to slightly changing the words.
Same with Next, he's all mixed up about sexuality & death but its not like homophobia is rly a necessary element, if u look at the original lyrics/translation it looks like the wordplay originally was the dual-meaning of "impotent army" & i think, same there, where using 'gay' as a metaphor for 'impotent' actually makes the line less coherent now in addition to sketching out the character of the singer in a way that seems 2 weaken the song overall

*which, 2 be fair, there's certainly reasonable arguments against that line too

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I got to vote against noted turbo racist Corey Stewart, so that was fun.

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1059824864918495233

This is a bad loving omen.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/fuckinalpamare/status/1059579846102261760?s=19

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Almost Blue posted:

Maybe this belongs in the general questions thread, but what are some movies made in color that have had black & white cuts? There's the recent Mad Max and Logan, as well as The Mist, Nickelodeon, and Bong Joon-Ho's Mother, but are there any others?

I feel pretty remiss if I didn't bring up K Waste's B&W BvS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

Joss Whedon's Midsummer's Night Dream because it's totally obvious he filmed in color and just had his editor add a stock black and white filter over it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

cant wait to see how trash this new Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot is gonna be

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm still not sure I've ever seen a movie worse than Whedon's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I saw it with two big Whedon fans who adored it coming out of the theater. I felt like I was going crazy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not a whole movie, but there's the fight with the Crazy 88 in Kill Bill. Japanese (and probably other foreign) dvds have the scene in color, but the American theatrical release was in black and white to avoid an NC-17 rating.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

Joss Whedon's Midsummer's Night Dream because it's totally obvious he filmed in color and just had his editor add a stock black and white filter over it.

It was Much Ado About Nothing that Whedon did; he had members of his usual posse and Clark Gregg filling out the cast.

I remember that coming out immediately in the wake of Avengers and it was getting lavished with a ton of over-the-top praise. I remember people saying it was better than the Branagh version and Amy Acker was a better Beatrice than Emma Thompson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm still not sure I've ever seen a movie worse than Whedon's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I saw it with two big Whedon fans who adored it coming out of the theater. I felt like I was going crazy.

It was the opener at the loving Seattle International Film Festival, which is one of the biggest film festivals on that side of the Cascades. Like it was the American debut of poo poo like "Hero" (the Jet Li flick that's one of China's most important national stories).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of bad movies, how did Plan 9 from Outer Space get its reputation of worst movie of all time? I'm watching it now and sure it's cheap 50s sci-fi schlock, but it's far better written, directed, and paced than a lot of other 50s sci-fi schlock I've seen. Was it before the Burton movie or because of it?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

feedmyleg posted:

Speaking of bad movies, how did Plan 9 from Outer Space get its reputation of worst movie of all time? I'm watching it now and sure it's cheap 50s sci-fi schlock, but it's far better written, directed, and paced than a lot of other 50s sci-fi schlock I've seen. Was it before the Burton movie or because of it?

I imagine it got a lot of its negative reputation, because the majority of footage with known actor Bela Legosi clearly wasn't him. Something that was probably obvious even if you didn't know he was dead during most of the filming.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was Much Ado About Nothing that Whedon did; he had members of his usual posse and Clark Gregg filling out the cast.

I remember that coming out immediately in the wake of Avengers and it was getting lavished with a ton of over-the-top praise. I remember people saying it was better than the Branagh version and Amy Acker was a better Beatrice than Emma Thompson.

I knew I was probably getting the wrong Shakespeare but I was determined to not let a Google search slow down my dunk on Joss Whedon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I believe that The Man Who Wasn’t There was shot in colour then converted to B&W. It was the plan from the beginning.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

How did Plan 9 from Outer Space get its reputation of worst movie of all time? Sure it's cheap 50s sci-fi schlock, but it's far better written, directed, and paced than a lot of other 50s sci-fi schlock I've seen. Was it before the Burton movie or because of it?

Waaaay before the Burton movie. It really isn't that good. The dialogue is idiotic and redundant, the acting is over-the-top, the set design looks like this:

I think it genuinely succeeds in atmosphere, especially in the beginning, and maintains an earnest charm that keeps it fascinating throughout. Vampira, Criswell and Tor help a lot, too.

So while I agree it's not the "worst movie of all time", I think it's easily afforded the title of "most watchable worst movie", like Troll 2 and The Room, and that's why it has a strong reputation.

But those are just my observations. I'm sure others may know more about it's history of popularity in the schlock genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not even a big fan of the Branagh version (his strengths as a director make him much better at Shakespeare's dramas than comedies), but who the gently caress said that with a straight face?

It's not even that the movie exists, Avengers clearly took something out of him and I'm happy he could unwind by playing with a video camera and his friends over a long weekend (slightly less happy now that I know he's a sex pest who cheated on his wife), and other people wanted to pay to watch it. But seriously? Amy Acker over Thompson, what the gently caress?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 6, 2018