Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Do farmer's walks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustached Demon posted:

My thought on straps: you training your grip or your trunk?

Do farmer's walks too.

Fuckin' both.

Always.

And Yes. Farmer's Walks are the best.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Is there a standard way to do farmer's walks or do you just do it in sets of 3-5 like anything else? I've been doing 3 sets for 5 laps around my garage.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

itskage posted:

Is there a standard way to do farmer's walks or do you just do it in sets of 3-5 like anything else? I've been doing 3 sets for 5 laps around my garage.

Depends what you want to get out of it. If you want endurance, do the same weight over a period of time and either increase the number of sets or the distance. If you want strength, keep the sets/distance the same but up the weight.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mustached Demon posted:

My thought on straps: you training your grip or your trunk?

Yes.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

VorpalFish posted:

If I'm ever strong enough to tear a bicep doing it I guess that's an accomplishment in its own right.

I watched a supercut of bicep tears on YouTube and now all I wanna do is snap rubber bands back and forth all day long

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
grip and rip, literally

I don't think there's like a weight cutoff where above this you'll tear a bicep, I think it's just pure dumb luck. I've torn my triceps tendon on like a 95lbs warmup set on bench before.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
dunno about tearing bicep during deadlift and no offense but pretty sure the weight cutoff for tearing a triceps on a bench warmup is "any weight after you've been ignoring an injury for months"

you can't get offended because I said no offense

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fhqwhgads posted:

grip and rip, literally

I don't think there's like a weight cutoff where above this you'll tear a bicep, I think it's just pure dumb luck. I've torn my triceps tendon on like a 95lbs warmup set on bench before.

Doesn't doing gear make you a lot more likely to bust a bicep or something

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

MikeCrotch posted:

Doesn't doing gear make you a lot more likely to bust a bicep or something

see: Vince McMahon tearing both quads simultaneously.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Went to the gym this morning at my normal 4 am. It sucked like it always does.

Pro snack for the day though, Cottage cheese seasoned with Tajin. loving great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are salami gains

Also I like chopping up salami and sprinkling them on cottage cheese

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

It's a state of nirvana only reached when you become a full mass of only fat and muscle.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

What are salami gains

Also I like chopping up salami and sprinkling them on cottage cheese

you know that one dude at the gym that isnt cut at all but could easily deadlift you off the face of the earth? thats salami gains.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Chinatown posted:

you know that one dude at the gym that isnt cut at all but could easily deadlift you off the face of the earth? thats salami gains.

only possible for those truly dedicated to salami. I looked in the face of the salami god and saw my own mortality.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chinatown posted:

Lift big, eat big, get huge. This is the path of salami gains.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gym got a new 20kg bar and I got to break it in with snatch+overhead squats. My hands will need some extra pumice stone whew.

It's nice and has a serial number engraved in it. Bet it has a CoA too!!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zil posted:

Lift big, eat big, get huge. This is the path of salami gains.

The Rippetoe-Swoleception schism - milk or salami

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
just mince your salami and eat it in a bowl of milk like cereal duh

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Eat cheese instead of milk.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
mince cheese in with your salami and put them both in milk

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I did milk for a month and hit my first 500 pull. Milk forever

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
cheese is for ohp and milk is for squats

salami is for bench????

whats the deadlift food? pulled pork? entire burritos and pizzas?

Edit: apparently also milk

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burrito is an essential element of nutrition. Up there with like calcium and iron.

Trust me I'm a chemist.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

whitesaucehotsauce for bulking
hotsauce for cutting

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Exit polls (from my butt) project under 12% body fat by the end of the year, just in time for my new year's resolution of salami bulking

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I regret that my next salami&milk day is Thanksgiving, but I am excited that every second brings me closer to a caloric surplus

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Anyone have any suggestions for a salami sidedish I can bring to my parent's house

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Put salami cheese and olives on a wooden board people eat that poo poo up

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

why do people insist on using the calibrated plates for all their major lifts

Also watching the dude on the rack beside me doing sumo deadlift and tearing his tender inner thighs to shreds and bleed all over the bar and not clean it uppppppp

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Put salami cheese and olives on a wooden board people eat that poo poo up

gotta have some coarse ground mustard too

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MA-Horus posted:

Also watching the dude on the rack beside me doing sumo deadlift and tearing his tender inner thighs to shreds and bleed all over the bar and not clean it uppppppp

His inner thigh? How would you even do that? Is he like, leaning back and walking it up his legs or something?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

that's free protein right there, so stop complaining and start licking

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

MA-Horus posted:

wait

what

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ahh yes, best part of a home gym, not having to constantly slosh through blood spatter of unknown origin

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I want to bleed in the gym. Get rid of all that old weak blood so my body can make stronger blood. Ever watch a deadlifter get a nose bleed? That's just the weak blood going gently caress this poo poo I quit and now the guy has more room to make better, stronger blood.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

MA-Horus posted:

Guy at my gym brings his own Rogue micro plates and collars. Like, dude, the 45s and bars are so beat up there's no way that poo poo is accurate to the quarter pound.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I have my own collars but only because the spring clamps that are all over the place at my gym can't hold poo poo anymore. Also because they're bright purple.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
really wish people would stop bashing straps for deads. i used to be the same.

if youre deadlifting bitch weight (like less than 440lbs) then you should strive to lift strapless as much as possible and do grip work in the form of heavy rear end farmers walks and weighted pullups

also stop trying to roll the bar deep into your palms because this is how you gently caress your hands up.

my farmers sessions alternated :

week 1
5 x 1laps as heavy as i can go (PB is 308lbs per hand)

week 2
5x 2laps or sometimes 3 and 4 of lighter weights usually 50-75% max weight

usually on a bench or press day

now with my strongman training i do my week 2 farmers supersetted with a heavy yoke walk as a kind of medley that really fucks me up. the cardio of trying to run 2 laps with even 50% farmers after a heavy yoke is intense. farmers walks are awesome cardio if you want it to be.

anyhoo

for volume work straps are super handy with deads because realistically your grip isnt going to handle the volume your legs and back can do double overhand.

id sooner use straps than mixed grip. ill only ever use mixed grip in a comp and its never failed me up to 660lbs so far

farmers walks = bulletproof grip. im pulling nearly 500lbs double overhand now and i train almost exclusively with straps.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I used double overhand for singles up to the 400s in working weight. Anything with reps though I mix, and maxes in the 500+ range I mix. Once my cut is over and I start upping the weight again for reps I'm considering using straps for a change of pace. I've fallen into a trap where I only mix one way and that can't be good long term. I mean, I strap for everything else, BB rows, BB shrugs, RDLs, why not DLs, too. Grip work is completely separate.