Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mortabis posted:

What is even in PEI besides Anne of Green Gables cosplay anyway. :colbert:

Potatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
red sand, too many jellyfish, and water that's ridiculously loving cold

west coast best coast

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mortabis posted:

What is even in PEI besides Anne of Green Gables cosplay anyway. :colbert:

Potatoes and corrupt senators mostly.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

priznat posted:

And ruled by the irvings.

I've been across that bridge though, it's pretty neat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Question: T-50/SU-57 is still a future fighter? Have they found an engine for it? Have they figured out the fatigue issues that I vaguely recall reading about? Is there any international partners at all?

What's the deal with the PAK-FA?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

priznat posted:

Don’t they have icebergs floatin around :ohdear:

Sea ice only, you don’t really get icebergs in the gulf of St Lawrence (except the Belle Isle strait area)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

SU57 is the production version of the PAK-FA. But they are only making a handful of them with no current plans to buy more because Russia would rather buy nuclear tsunami drone subs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Literally Upper Volta with rockets.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also not even India who helped fund the PAK-FA is buying in which probably points to it not actually being close to the hype.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alaan posted:

Also not even India who helped fund the PAK-FA is buying in which probably points to it not actually being close to the hype.

I thought Russia tried to absolutely screw them on that somehow - basically changing them from a development partner to a funding partner or something, asking for more money while restricting India's access to technology (and thereby ability to manufacture anything independently)?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Don’t they have icebergs floatin around :ohdear:

Really that bridge should probably be covered so big rigs don’t get blown over.

E: also if you want to piss off a vancouver islander just mention the PEI bridge :haw:

gently caress THAT BULLSHIT “PROVINCE”

This would be correct - if the province had actually wanted it, lots of people didn't

It got it because 1. it is a province, and 2. Canada tries to keep around a 1-1 value for votes (usually lagging behind population growth) but PEI it's like 2:1, so the Fed is *very* attentive to Canada's Rhode island

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought Russia tried to absolutely screw them on that somehow - basically changing them from a development partner to a funding partner or something, asking for more money while restricting India's access to technology (and thereby ability to manufacture anything independently)?

They did, there is a reason why India in talk with us now instead of Russia in regards to aviation and possible a expanded navy.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 7, 2018

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Back Hack posted:

They did, there is a reason why India in talk with us now instead of Russia in regards to aviation and possible a expanded navy.

India has pissed away so much money with the Pak and that aircraft carrier that ended up costing 2x and 2 years late.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

priznat posted:

I think you'll find the senators aren't really there either. ;)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

This would be correct - if the province had actually wanted it, lots of people didn't

It got it because 1. it is a province, and 2. Canada tries to keep around a 1-1 value for votes (usually lagging behind population growth) but PEI it's like 2:1, so the Fed is *very* attentive to Canada's Rhode island

It doesn’t take much to get us westerners a bit salty about the way the money tilts towards the maritimes and newfoundland :argh: (warranted or not)

PEI has one senator per 38k people (4 for pop 150k) and BC has one per.. 800k. (6 for 4.8million). It’s laughable bullshit. PEI wouldn’t even be the the 3rd biggest city in BC.

What I’m saying is BC should invade PEI and take their senators by force.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why does Canada even have a senate? When’s the last time a senator had a remotely significant impact on politics?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Why does Canada even have a senate? When’s the last time a senator had a remotely significant impact on politics?

Individual senators not so much since they’re usually pretty overwhelmingly packed with whoever the most recent government to appoint a bunch of senators. It’s pretty flawed for a number of reasons but the representation is bullshit!!

In more airpower news David Pugilese had quite the scoop a few days ago about the boondoggle that was flying VIPs (tiger williams?!?) to entertain troops in danger zones like greece https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-forces-misled-media-and-public-on-337000-taxpayer-funded-vip-booze-flight

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder what it would take to unfuck military procurement across NATO/The West. Russia seems to be suffering from a lack of funds and not necessarily that they've overspent for not enough capability. I don't think we've heard any stories out of China have we about theirs or are they still continuing a strategy of economy of force to prompt the US to overspend on not enough?

priznat posted:

It doesn’t take much to get us westerners a bit salty about the way the money tilts towards the maritimes and newfoundland :argh: (warranted or not)

PEI has one senator per 38k people (4 for pop 150k) and BC has one per.. 800k. (6 for 4.8million). It’s laughable bullshit. PEI wouldn’t even be the the 3rd biggest city in BC.

PEI: "You can ha' em!"

Our Senate though doesn't wield the power the US Senate does and might be a partial model for how the US needs to fix theirs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

What happens if (when) a ship hits the pylons on a traditional bridge?

If it’s designed well and with enough extra support to allow for one or two being taken out, nothing. If it’s right at the edge of the structure’s capability to remain intact to begin with it will fail.

Given that it’s the Danes and Swedes I’m going to guess that they hired competent architects and builders and that if anything it’s a touch over built with exactly that scenario in mind, in addition to physical protection for the pontoons and the other collision prevention/mitigation stuff you see commonly on more normal bridges.

If we were taking about one in Italy I would be a touch more concerned given their recent track record with normal bridges.

It was built by COWI and a group of Swedish contractors, and is indeed well-designed and built. However, that was before our 20-year (and ongoing) streak of completely retarded neoliberal robber baron governments. Everything we build now is usually done by lovely Jute subcontractors and Italian weapons companies who take our money, gently caress us out of the product, and then eventually delivering something that doesn't work when we sue them.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 7, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder what it would take to unfuck military procurement across NATO/The West. Russia seems to be suffering from a lack of funds and not necessarily that they've overspent for not enough capability. I don't think we've heard any stories out of China have we about theirs or are they still continuing a strategy of economy of force to prompt the US to overspend on not enough?

We're not going to hear much about China because they don't announce much in English, and their announcements in Chinese are essentially propaganda where they hide any issues they actually have. They have tons of problems if you read between the lines, for example a press release of the J-20 described it as combat ready, pending finalization of development and installation into the airframes of the engines, pilot's seat, avionics and oxygen system. But other than that it was 100% combat ready right now. As for their general plan, yes they really want to make it too expensive to attack them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Don Gato posted:

We're not going to hear much about China because they don't announce much in English, and their announcements in Chinese are essentially propaganda where they hide any issues they actually have. They have tons of problems if you read between the lines, for example a press release of the J-20 described it as combat ready, pending finalization of development and installation into the airframes of the engines, pilot's seat, avionics and oxygen system. But other than that it was 100% combat ready right now. As for their general plan, yes they really want to make it too expensive to attack them.

But this makes sense in context though doesn't it considering how far behind they were? The problems the US is having in terms of "procurement screw ups" is why they are problems, the Chinese having a less mature aviation industry and teething issues introducing the new airframes aren't really the same kettle of fish though yeah?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder what it would take to unfuck military procurement across NATO/The West. Russia seems to be suffering from a lack of funds and not necessarily that they've overspent for not enough capability.

This is possibly the most generous reading of Russian military procurement I've ever heard.

"Well, if they had way more money to spend well then of course they could actually afford to buy things that cost a lot."

Me, personally, I interpret 10's of billions spent on a aircraft project over ~20 years that you can only afford to buy 12 of and that your partner has rejected altogether because it doesn't meet requirements and is refusing to dump more money into as having overspent for not enough capability.

NATO/Western procurement sucks balls but they do seem able to make progress and be able to procure the items and actually do 'usually' cancel the real boondogles before they get too out of hand.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of NATO procurement, apparently Canada's RFP include communication security standard clauses that make it Five-Eyes only. So it'll be a contest between F-35 and Eurofighter just like in Belgium.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If theres one plane in the world that might actually be a worse procurement nightmare than the F-35, it's the Typhoon. It's extremely close though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Canada needs to just buy whichever gets the most aircraft.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

I am for equal representation, without doubt

Though once again, it's not the voters that are doing, or benefit from, this "money tilt". It's that poor places with patronage networks make for extremely reliable political allies. Keep funneling them money, it translates into MP seats, that's the end of the story. It's kinda like...if a province was one of those terraced farms, or something. At the top are people like the Irvings, Sobeys, etc: they get most of this Fed money. Immediately below them are the patrons of the top guys, businesses and unions who've been careful to wall off their little ponds of prosperity and protect them from snake people and anybody else outside their little barony. Of course, this second group has most of the provincial political power, so democracy supports this terraced farm - even though it fucks over most voters.

I know you're not saying this, dude. I just feel the need to push back about voters in those places reaping big benefits from this, because they really, really don't (enfranchising a system that keeps the place poor) and this is also more or less the narrative pushed by the fed. Province vs. Province is pretty much the default way for the fed to excuse its venal corruption and incompetence, and it also divides people, me in NL, you in BC, from partnering up politically to Actually Do Something About It.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I am for equal representation, without doubt

Though once again, it's not the voters that are doing, or benefit from, this "money tilt". It's that poor places with patronage networks make for extremely reliable political allies. Keep funneling them money, it translates into MP seats, that's the end of the story. It's kinda like...if a province was one of those terraced farms, or something. At the top are people like the Irvings, Sobeys, etc: they get most of this Fed money. Immediately below them are the patrons of the top guys, businesses and unions who've been careful to wall off their little ponds of prosperity and protect them from snake people and anybody else outside their little barony. Of course, this second group has most of the provincial political power, so democracy supports this terraced farm - even though it fucks over most voters.

I know you're not saying this, dude. I just feel the need to push back about voters in those places reaping big benefits from this, because they really, really don't (enfranchising a system that keeps the place poor) and this is also more or less the narrative pushed by the fed. Province vs. Province is pretty much the default way for the fed to excuse its venal corruption and incompetence, and it also divides people, me in NL, you in BC, from partnering up politically to Actually Do Something About It.

Yah no worries we are cool, it isn’t the folks living in those places who are at fault, it is definitely related to the system in place. We in BC always feel like we get the hind teat since we’re way out west and usually don’t kick up a fuss except when alberta tries to ram a pipeline through. This is of course used by the feds to shore up their (weak) support in Alberta at our expense.

I’ve long felt that BC as a province has far more in common with Washington state and Alaska but this gets into the whole cascadia secession movement that a fringe like to fantasize about :haw:

I think we can both agree the true enemy here are the Ontarioans!! :haw:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If Polk has stuck by his guns with Fifty-four forty or fight you all wouldn’t have that problem.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

I think we can both agree the true enemy here are the Ontarioans!! :haw:

:hmmyes:

I think if we play our cards right we can get Northern Ontario to split off from the southern bit

Cyrano4747 posted:

If Polk has stuck by his guns with Fifty-four forty or fight you all wouldn’t have that problem.

The war of 1812 says different! :shepface:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We learned our lesson. Next time we make the White House our patent office!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

hobbesmaster posted:

Canada needs to just buy whichever gets the most aircraft.

CF-116E/F Tigris

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There’s a line in Rainbow Six where some counter intelligence operative (gently caress if I remember the name) is watching 24 hour news and laments how “boring” international affairs was now and how much he missed the Cold War.

https://youtu.be/ltXhvkGCzbA

Did Clancy's wife leave him for an Asian dude or something? He really doubled down on the stereotypes later on in the Ryanverse.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

inkjet_lakes posted:

https://youtu.be/ltXhvkGCzbA

Did Clancy's wife leave him for an Asian dude or something? He really doubled down on the stereotypes later on in the Ryanverse.

Might have been due to the spike of paranoia around Asian business buying up American real estate en masse. There was a fear back in the 1980s that major American corporations (like GM) would end up owned by Japanese companies. And China was also a thing.

Or maybe it was his Southern Strategy, I don't know :v:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://i.imgur.com/tsemCUr.mp4

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Crossposting from the Aviation Geek thread:

So this would obviously take quite a bit of time to coordinate, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a Goon Tour to the Threat Training Facility (and perhaps the Thunderbirds museum) at Nellis AFB in Nevada. Unlike Edwards, which has a monthly tour, Nellis requires a group before their PAO will organize one. You need more than ten, but less than 40 people (presumably because that's the limit of their on-site bus). For those who aren't aware, the Threat Training Facility is colloquially-known as the "Petting Zoo," where you're allowed to touch and/or climb all over/inside a ton of nifty OpFor stuff: http://aviationphotodigest.com/nellis-threat-training-facility/

I'm willing to be the schmuck who organizes it, but I'd like to gauge interest first.

Foreign nationals are welcome, but it requires another layer of complexity (over simply getting to Vegas, that is).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 7, 2018

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Got a book on the F11F-1F, and it has an ~unusual~ stores arrangement.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MadBurgerMaker posted:

What happens if (when?) a ship hits one of those pontoons?

something like this I imagine

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

LostCosmonaut posted:

Got a book on the F11F-1F, and it has an ~unusual~ stores arrangement.

What are the reasons for storing munitions under the aircraft anyway? Other than the obvious reason of "bombs fall down", for missiles does it really matter?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Re‐arming the aircraft is more involved if munitions are mounted above the wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splode posted:

What are the reasons for storing munitions under the aircraft anyway? Other than the obvious reason of "bombs fall down", for missiles does it really matter?

You can release missiles and have them start their rockets while safely off the rail for one thing. Or discard them if their motor fails.