Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

im glad i dont have the brainworms where i pay attention to allegedly feminist things a fantasy author says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Kchama posted:

It's so pretentious and smug that basically in the end what can you expect but Smug And Pretentious Harry Potter?

nothing wrong with being pretentious and smug as long as you can back it up (see: Nabokov)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tim Burns Effect posted:

nothing wrong with being pretentious and smug as long as you can back it up (see: Nabokov)
If you can back it up, you are by definition not being pretentious.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I know you* were all waiting** for Rothfuss to tell you to go vote:

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1059882211737001985

*Americans
**You weren't

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ulmont posted:

I know you* were all waiting** for Rothfuss to tell you to go vote:

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1059882211737001985

*Americans
**You weren't

"I love it when you growl" -R.A. Salvatore response tweet.

Ugh.

Ugggggh.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PJOmega posted:

"I love it when you growl" -R.A. Salvatore response tweet.

Ugh.

Ugggggh.
Not gonna post it?

http://twitter.com/r_a_salvatore/status/1059883521555288064

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That reply tweet gave me chills.

I keep hoping for that third book whenever there are new posts in here...cotdamnit.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

This is all I see:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reene posted:

The difference between Lynch and Rothfuss is that Lynch can and has taken criticism about it and has actively tried to be better about things while acknowledging how flawed his past work has been. Rothfuss meanwhile stands as a monument to Look At What a Good Male Feminist I Am.

Please try not to be shocked when I tell you that he adores totally-a-feminist Joss Whedon.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
'You smell so good. Its stupid' is a reference to a blog post Pat wrote ages ago about not knowing how to phrase those words for best emphasis. I think it was supposed to show us what a wordsmith auteur he is that it takes him six hours to compose six words.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

'You smell so good. Its stupid' is a reference to a blog post Pat wrote ages ago about not knowing how to phrase those words for best emphasis. I think it was supposed to show us what a wordsmith auteur he is that it takes him six hours to compose six words.

I hate that I know this, but it's something his wife said to him (or so he claims, anyhow).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I hate that I know this, but it's something his wife said to him (or so he claims, anyhow).

It's a beautiful game smell.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bravest, critique the second book

all over again

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just remembered "the enigmatic Silent Doctor character present in many Modegan plays" and had a good chuckle to myself.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mp5 posted:

Bravest, critique The Slow Regard

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mp5 posted:

Bravest, critique the second book

all over again

They can post their progress in between probations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Didn't someone make a directory in the previous thread of section-by-section criticisms of this book? Can't find them and never finished reading them. They should be listed in the Bonfire thread OP.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

Didn't someone make a directory in the previous thread of section-by-section criticisms of this book? Can't find them and never finished reading them. They should be listed in the Bonfire thread OP.
Bottle put a link to it in his first post. Here you go.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool thanks. Those are some entertaining critiques, I like all the comparisons with Baudolino since I read that book a few months ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His reviews got me to read Baudolino and it really does do what King Killer is trying and failing to do.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

His reviews got me to read Baudolino and it really does do what King Killer is trying and failing to do.

I wasn't aware the purpose of Kingkiller was anything besides "make Pat Rothfuss money so he can be pretentious and not get a real job,"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was just a happy perk.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I wasn't aware the purpose of Kingkiller was anything besides "make Pat Rothfuss money so he can be pretentious and not get a real job,"

Harsh, but fair, on professors.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How much money can he possibly have at this point, though? The dude does not strike me as a savvy investor and we know he lost a ton on that stupid table startup. He's been living the high on the hog nerdlife for like a decade, his book sales must be dwindling, and the TV series seems dead. Surely he will have to pay back his advance on the third book if he doesn't poo poo something out in the near future?

Probably has more money than Lowtax, but not by much? :thunk:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rime posted:

the TV series seems dead
It doesn't by any stretch.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Rime posted:

How much money can he possibly have at this point, though? The dude does not strike me as a savvy investor and we know he lost a ton on that stupid table startup. He's been living the high on the hog nerdlife for like a decade, his book sales must be dwindling, and the TV series seems dead. Surely he will have to pay back his advance on the third book if he doesn't poo poo something out in the near future?

Not going to happen. There's no sign that the book sales are slowing down, and there's no chance his publisher will make him pay back the advance as long as he's moving any copies at all. If they demand the advance back, that means the third book is officially canceled, and announcing/admitting that there's never going to be an ending would do more to kill sales of the first two than anything ever could. He's in the same boat as GRRM: their publishers may believe they'll never write another book in their natural lives (and probably do), but as long as they keep pretending otherwise, they can make money on the ones that have already been written by keeping them in print and promising the eventual conclusion.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The idea that this insufferable wretch has failed his way into a life of idle & neverending shitposting is somewhat enraging.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rime posted:

Probably has more money than Lowtax, but not by much? :thunk:

I think you're underestimating the amount of money he's made from uh....Thud? Cevasse? Benjuka? Azad? Tak.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They better get that show out in the next 6 months because once GoT ends I don't think anyone is going to care about gritty fantasy TV shows anymore.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think you're underestimating the amount of money he's made from uh....Thud? Cevasse? Benjuka? Azad? Tak.

I mean, it is a beautiful game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

They better get that show out in the next 6 months because once GoT ends I don't think anyone is going to care about gritty fantasy TV shows anymore.

If GoT wasn't in the final notes with it know it is ending this season I think nobody would care. The public interest has cratered.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The sooner Kingkiller season 1 starts, the sooner season 2 will start. :wiggle:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
And yet one of these streaming services has gone all in on gritty fantasy, having begun production on The Wheel of Time and Lord of the loving Rings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Atlas Hugged posted:

And yet one of these streaming services has gone all in on gritty fantasy, having begun production on The Wheel of Time and Lord of the loving Rings.

?

How is Wheel of Time and especially Lord of the Rings gritty fantasy? :confused:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Do you honestly think they're going to be cheery romps?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do you honestly think they're going to be cheery romps?

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics? What's your definition of gritty fantasy? To be honest, I couldn't give you a definition of what I think "gritty fantasy" means.

But for me, Joe Abercrombie writes gritty fantasy, J.R.R. Tolkien did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics? What's your definition of gritty fantasy? To be honest, I couldn't give you a definition of what I think "gritty fantasy" means.

But for me, Joe Abercrombie writes gritty fantasy, J.R.R. Tolkien did not.

The Lord of the Rings film to me are not gritty. They're heroic fantasy. Fantasy that relies heavily on archetypes, borrowed or foundational. I guess most people call it "high fantasy". The Hobbit films are gritty. They take a straightforward children's story and turn it into a rambling mess of romance subplots, rising evil, and political intrigue that are at best hinted at in the original books.

Since the new show will be set "film adjacent", it's going to show the down and dirty war being fought by our new ragtag team of heroes that were always just immediately off-screen of every major event in the books. The stakes are going to have to be that much higher because we ultimately know how every event will turn out. They're going to double-down on Easterling politics, the rivalry between Rohan and Gondor, the Scouring of the Shire, and why dwarves and elves can't trust each other.

It's going to be awful.

I have no reason to think their Wheel of Time treatment will open as a lighthearted adventure with comically evil villains chasing after them from the shadows and not start in a world that more closely resembles The Crucible. I desperately want to be wrong though.