Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Time to plug my stream.

I'm gonna try and play this game once a week (on tuesdays, late GMT) and started an E/E Ironman run (with high starting funds). I did this because I want all of these guys to die by the time the expansion comes round.

I go over a lot of my decisionmaking in the video, if you're having trouble starting up, give it a watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/329443176

Won't let new folks, comment on your stream :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

JosefStalinator posted:

Who will send him ASCII goatse to encourage him on his way?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

JosefStalinator posted:

Probably because its an old vid, if you catch a live session (next one is next tuesday, aiming for 7pm gmt) you can comment then. I had a guy really into spearwalls commenting last time and I was explaining to a friend how stuff worked.

Every other day for now is overwatch until i figure out what I want to stream now that i'm disillusioned with the whole "being a gamer pro" thing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
New dev blog is up, more cool stuff:

* Beast Slayer background
* Wage changes
* Pretty pics of new named weapons
* New armor, including - high tier light armor

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 2, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I love that they're trying to make light and medium armor viable in the late game. Not sure if just adding more items is going to do it but it's been so long since I've built a Dodge/Nimble bro I don't even remember how bad they are in comparison.

I don't get the changes to wage progression. Has hiring expensive backgrounds exclusively ever really been a thing people do? Besides, levels do the same for every background. Except when you take perks like Fortified Mind that give a percentage bonus to a specific stat and are better for some backgrounds, but there are cheap backgrounds with high values for all stats that influence a perk like that.

Oh, and since I'll have to update the background Steam guide anyway: if anyone gets one of the special event backgrounds (Crusader, Orc Slayer, Pimp, Assassin) I'd appreciate a screenshot of them without equipment and at level 1.
I have two for Crusaders but the one time I got an Assassin I hadn't even started working on the guide and didn't take a screenshot. And I've never seen the other two.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the wage change is designed to be a small buff to hiring poo poo backgrounds (which will also make the early game slightly easier) and a small penalty to hiring good ones. I get the reasoning that it's designed to encourage people in really long playthroughs to still hire farmhands and other cheap backgrounds even once you have a good income and a good amount of money, because if your guys are going to like level 20 each, taking a sellsword who's adding 4 gold per level and by level 20 wants 100 gold a day could actually make a really noticeable difference compared to taking a farmhand who's adding 1 gold per level and by level 20 wants 30 gold a day.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Even in the endgame I keep recruiting brawlers and farmhands, always looking for a diamond in the rough. So this change won't affect me much. But if you aim for an all-star team of mercs and hedge knights it will have an impact.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I had a pimp but he died too fast, sorry. His stats were not very good at all so I didn’t invest much.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You all suck, here's the link

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-110-more-things/

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hammerstein posted:

Even in the endgame I keep recruiting brawlers and farmhands, always looking for a diamond in the rough. So this change won't affect me much. But if you aim for an all-star team of mercs and hedge knights it will have an impact.
Yeah, I've never had more than two or three bros belonging to the really expensive backgrounds in my company. If anything I find that hiring expensive backgrounds isn't worth it unless I want their gear or absolutely must have someone with enough Melee Defense to pull two-hander duty right now.

But I retire almost all of my runs after the first crisis. It'll definitely affect people playing for hundreds of days trying to build the perfect company that takes down the big Goblin city and the Monolith back to back with no losses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have a sellsword who keeps getting events where other groups try to poach him for more money; with these wage changes he may become just usurious to keep.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't get the changes to wage progression. Has hiring expensive backgrounds exclusively ever really been a thing people do? Besides, levels do the same for every background. Except when you take perks like Fortified Mind that give a percentage bonus to a specific stat and are better for some backgrounds, but there are cheap backgrounds with high values for all stats that influence a perk like that.

Levels do the same thing for all classes. So a bro that starts behind by 15% hit chance is never going to catch up no matter the number of levels. Fatigue increases usually just absorb the weight of kit, so he's going to be behind by about the same amount in hit chance, defenses, and fatigue. So at least for a lot of the key attributes, a bro who starts behind will remain proportionally behind.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

xthetenth posted:

Levels do the same thing for all classes. So a bro that starts behind by 15% hit chance is never going to catch up no matter the number of levels. Fatigue increases usually just absorb the weight of kit, so he's going to be behind by about the same amount in hit chance, defenses, and fatigue. So at least for a lot of the key attributes, a bro who starts behind will remain proportionally behind.
Okay, that's true but this logic doesn't work for Resolve, HP and a lot of perks. You also assume that having 15 less Melee Skill will always translate to a 15% lower chance to hit, which isn't true.

Also, while I said that levels do the same for every background earlier myself, that's not really the case in practice because the cheap bros you keep will often have better talents than the more expensive ones, just because you can hire a lot more Messengers than Hedge Knights.

More than anything, though, I just don't see the need to nerf higher cost backgrounds.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'd like for them to make some backgrounds a bit better. Obviously a cripple shouldn't be "balanced" compared to a brawler or something, although the game does seem to allow for the really rare chance but...

Then again Resolve seems to be increasingly important and might emphasize the use of more Resolve favourable backgrounds, I dunno.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Wizard Styles posted:

Okay, that's true but this logic doesn't work for Resolve, HP and a lot of perks. You also assume that having 15 less Melee Skill will always translate to a 15% lower chance to hit, which isn't true.

There are some attributes that can be made up for, but many of the most important stats in the game are the ones you're going to increase every available level. A starting deficit to fatigue or melee attack is effectively a permanent deficit, and those are two of the most important figures for deciding whether a recruit is worth keeping in the first place. For that matter, even deficits in the 'fixable' stats like HP and Resolve can still have a cost - if you have to spend five levels getting a Deserter to stop being a massive coward, you probably had to give up on a few good rolls in other stats along the way.

If you're trying to ask whether Melee Attack is really that good, the answer is yes.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 3, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If they rewrite the flavor text of the Refugee I'll forgive a lot, to heck with stat changes.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, while I said that levels do the same for every background earlier myself, that's not really the case in practice because the cheap bros you keep will often have better talents than the more expensive ones, just because you can hire a lot more Messengers than Hedge Knights.

This is probably why they're nerfing them, you'll be able to see talents before you hire somebody (for some currently unknown smaller cost) once the expansion pack hits.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Wizard Styles posted:

More than anything, though, I just don't see the need to nerf higher cost backgrounds.

Yea I didn't think it was really needed either. Talents already shifted the balance in favor of cheaper and more common backgrounds as you could try out more men and have a better chance of hiring those with talents in the right places. I also prefer keeping to 2G per level for cheap backgrounds as I agree that the stat gain is the same for every background.
Reducing wage increase per level after L11 is logical though IMHO. After all you gain much less stat points after L11. So half sounds fair and will help curb wage bloat in really long campaigns.

Apart from 5 backgrounds (Swordmaster, Hedge Knight, Sellsword, Raider, Adventurous Noble), the daily wages for other backgrounds should be reduced under the new scheme, or at least stay the same, up to L11.
With a further reduction to 5% of base after L11, under the new wage scheme, Adventurous Noble should be about even by L21 and Raiders by L31.
So all in all I believe most setups will have reduced daily upkeep under the new scheme, I know my last few parties all do.

Voyager I posted:

There are some attributes that can be made up for, but many of the most important stats in the game are the ones you're going to increase every available level. A starting deficit to fatigue or melee attack is effectively a permanent deficit, and those are two of the most important figures for deciding whether a recruit is worth keeping in the first place. For that matter, even deficits in the 'fixable' stats like HP and Resolve can still have a cost - if you have to spend five levels getting a Deserter to stop being a massive coward, you probably had to give up on a few good rolls in other stats along the way.

I agree with Melee Skill, to a lesser extent Fatigue (especially for extended battles) and will throw in Melee Defense as well (for frontliners). There are still soft caps for those with really extended play but I agree that generally speaking, the premium backgrounds do have an edge here and they should. Whether that justifies the increased wages for them in this upcoming DLC/patch is another matter though.

As for Resolve, I feel it largely depends on battle position in the company and isn't something that necessarily needs to be fixed. On a frontliner, certainly more Resolve is helpful though I'd argue with a good Standard Bearer/Sergeant, what is acceptable can vary quite a bit amongst players. On a backliner, who shouldn't really get surrounded or targeted very much, Resolve isn't a big issue. Yes one will need to careful when facing multiple Geists but that's where the Undead Necklace can come in handy when fielding someone with low Resolve. IMHO fielding a Deserter or two, without needing to shore up Resolve much if at all, isn't objectionable, provided their other stats/talents make up for it. Fielding 12 Deserters, all of whom have bad Resolve is of course really asking for trouble.

Count Uvula posted:

This is probably why they're nerfing them, you'll be able to see talents before you hire somebody (for some currently unknown smaller cost) once the expansion pack hits.

I'm not sure about that. The blog post mentions revealing traits yes, but as far as I know doesn't indicate talents or stats could be revealed on a "Tryout" as well.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I do hope the tryouts will reveal at least some traits. It's dumb how even the plainly obvious traits stay hidden until you hire a guy.

"Uh yeah, sorry sir, he was seated at a high table the whole time that we talked to him, so we didn't notice his massive beer gut and clubfoot until he had already signed the contract and stood up".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nordick posted:

I do hope the tryouts will reveal at least some traits. It's dumb how even the plainly obvious traits stay hidden until you hire a guy.

"Uh yeah, sorry sir, he was seated at a high table the whole time that we talked to him, so we didn't notice his massive beer gut and clubfoot until he had already signed the contract and stood up".

How were we supposed to know he was short before we spent 5,000 gold hiring him?

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

I just got out of a dumb fight and now my Iron Lungs, Survivor Deserter has picked up Traumatized. While I think it's very flavorful for him to be a cowardly juggernaut, I'm not sure I should keep him around. The 12 resolve seems like a liability.

On another note, has anyone found a good use for the Strange Mushrooms? Are they good with polearms or am I missing something?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

how do you have 3 direwolf mail

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

I had a run once where literally my whole company wore the stuff for a while

If you save/load missions till you get a wolf one and use daggers it's quite doable, or you can just get lucky and use daggers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In my current run i'm using daggers far more liberally than i used to. Its pretty good. Hope I get a unique one soon.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

Wafflecopper posted:

I had a city quest to track down direwolves and they turned out to be bandits dressed in direwolf armors.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

torsoboy posted:

I had a city quest to track down direwolves and they turned out to be bandits dressed in direwolf armors.

Same, these missions remind me that daggers are very, very important. You never know what kind of wonderful armor you can dig people out of.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had a run once where literally my whole company wore the stuff for a while

If you save/load missions till you get a wolf one and use daggers it's quite doable, or you can just get lucky and use daggers.

You savescum for wolf mail? At what moment exactly? Not going to do it at this point, but it's good to know.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tias posted:

You savescum for wolf mail? At what moment exactly? Not going to do it at this point, but it's good to know.

Save before you click on a contract. The specifics don't get generated till you click on the scroll. If the contract turns out to be a missing villager contract; keep reloading until the enemy party turns out to be bandits playing dress up. You need to actually start a combat with the enemy party to learn what you're up against.

For what it's worth the chance of it being wolf mail bandits is super low - you might have to reload dozens of times.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What’s the strategy for armor gathering? Beat them into submission and the surround and shank? I have a few guys with daggers but I get a bit nervous about whipping them out too soon given this game’s propensity for randomly massacring my guys even when the battle is basically over.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

What’s the strategy for armor gathering? Beat them into submission and the surround and shank? I have a few guys with daggers but I get a bit nervous about whipping them out too soon given this game’s propensity for randomly massacring my guys even when the battle is basically over.

I've found a mace wielding brother to be quite helpful for this purpose, you could knock out the desired target for a round or two and focus on the chaff around him. Typically I only start shanking when the battle's all but over. Killing the chaff sometimes lowers the target's resolve so you have a higher chance to hit when you initiate the knife party.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also if you do it to the last enemy they'll almost inevitably start fleeing and then if you surround them with 6 bros they can't move and won't take any actions and you can just shank them until the end of time with no risk whatsoever. If you do that to the last raider or bandit leader every time you fight bandits in the midgame, pretty soon you'll have more mint-condition armour than you know what to do with. And even if it's worse than everything you have, it sells for significantly more than the damaged stuff.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Too much good armor? That’s a problem I never thought I would see in this game. Definitely not yet, gonna fire it back up here soon and see where I end up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Shanking enemies for armor is easy; I don't know what the problem is. :smuggo:

(I usually don't bother with shanking Raiders because at the point I actually want their armor even a breaking Raider can get lucky and injure or even kill a bro in a turn. And you fight so many Raiders in the first weeks of the game, you kinda end up swimming in their stuff anyway. I try to hunt down Brigand Leaders and Hedge Knights if the game deigns to spawn them as soon as I can take them, though, because they can drop armor that will last you through an endgame crisis. If the opportunity presents itself I'll also try to get a Fallen Hero's stuff but that doesn't always work out because they tend to spawn with damaged gear and fights against zombies just last longer and can get pretty chaotic due to Geists and reanimations so you might be forced to put the Fallen Heroes down before you get to isolate and shank them. Once a company can take on Brigand Leaders I find that you can usually pull a shanking off without too much risk because even if everything goes wrong your bros should no longer just die in a turn and you should have Rotation on a few guys.)

Voyager I posted:

If you're trying to ask whether Melee Attack is really that good, the answer is yes.
Come on man, I don't need you to explain basic game mechanics to me. The point I'm making isn't that there isn't a gap, the point I'm making is that levels help close it to a certain degree so a flat increase per level (and a slightly decreasing relative difference) makes more sense to me than what Overhype have planned for the expansion.
Also that expensive backgrounds aren't that desirable to have to begin with.

Drath posted:

Apart from 5 backgrounds (Swordmaster, Hedge Knight, Sellsword, Raider, Adventurous Noble), the daily wages for other backgrounds should be reduced under the new scheme, or at least stay the same, up to L11.
With a further reduction to 5% of base after L11, under the new wage scheme, Adventurous Noble should be about even by L21 and Raiders by L31.
So all in all I believe most setups will have reduced daily upkeep under the new scheme, I know my last few parties all do.
Thinking about this, the new wage increase scheme would make more sense to me if they reduced the initial wage for most/all of the more expensive backgrounds to some extent.

torsoboy posted:

On another note, has anyone found a good use for the Strange Mushrooms? Are they good with polearms or am I missing something?
They're bad. They're better with polearms but still bad with them.
Their effects start wearing off immediately, and they take 6 AP to use. So you never actually get any use out of the full buff effect unless you use them on a dagger specialist.
Plus there's the risk of a bro getting sick afterwards. And if a bro falls sick it happens immediately, in the middle of the fight. So then you're dealing with a debuff that far outweighs the benefits of the mushroom buff, never mind the bro being out of commission for a couple of days.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 5, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You shank bandit leaders but raiders get the special flail to the unprotected head.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I briefly ran a flail campaign where literally every brother had a flail/flail mastery.

YOU GET A CRUSHED SKULL

AND YOU GET A CRUSHED SKULL

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dogstile posted:

I briefly ran a flail campaign where literally every brother had a flail/flail mastery.

YOU GET A CRUSHED SKULL

AND YOU GET A CRUSHED SKULL

I did Everyone Gets a Flail for the first 20 days of a campaign before shuffling off other weapons later and it was legit the most successful beginning I ever had.

It also featured Crossbow Clown, the Juggler Who Snipes.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I've got an interview with the devs on Tuesday 13th if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Why no iPad version

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I've got an interview with the devs on Tuesday 13th if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask!

Battle Sisters when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Oh lord.

Have they considered any other future DLCs? Perhaps some new combat maps, such as towns or ruins or caves underground?

any plans for any ports, including tablet ports?

If you want to be nasty or controversial, ask them about things like that dev who made those ill-advised comments about muslims, and, yknow,

StrixNebulosa posted:

If they rewrite the flavor text of the Refugee I'll forgive a lot, to heck with stat changes.