Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

I checked out one of those Midnight’s Edge videos once and it was all about how Discovery is bad because it panders to the evil SJWs, so gently caress that guy.
How in gently caress's name does anybody grow up loving Star Trek and then demonize social justice warriors?

Star Trek has been progressive as gently caress from the word go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

How in gently caress's name does anybody grow up loving Star Trek and then demonize social justice warriors?

Star Trek has been progressive as gently caress from the word go.

It is loving mindboggling

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

They didn't love star trek, they loved the space pew pew show where Kirk totally banged the gently caress outta that blue chick

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
You're sitting in your favourite chair with an enormous television in front of you, driving an gigantic vehicle capable of extreme speeds while being waited on by women in miniskirts. It's the ultimate male fantasy. :v:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Star Trek is uncomfortably on the nose about its SJW-ness a lot of the time. Like, half step away from looking into the camera and explaining the moral of the story. Which, frankly, is needed sometimes. Do right-wing fans just glaze over and see/hear static during those episodes and just tune back in when it goes all Tom Clancy?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe, and I'm barely even going out on a limb, we simply disagree with the point they make and simply enjoy a well told story.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Star Trek is uncomfortably on the nose about its SJW-ness a lot of the time. Like, half step away from looking into the camera and explaining the moral of the story. Which, frankly, is needed sometimes. Do right-wing fans just glaze over and see/hear static during those episodes and just tune back in when it goes all Tom Clancy?

It's possible to listen to something and disagree with it, as opposed to "glazing over" or being convinced.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Fornax Disaster posted:

You're sitting in your favourite chair with an enormous television in front of you, driving an gigantic vehicle capable of extreme speeds while being waited on by women in miniskirts. It's the ultimate male fantasy. :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fornax Disaster posted:

Plus you're lounging around in your PJs while you're doing it. And there's a magic machine that literally makes you whatever you want to eat or drink. You can just yell at the ceiling and things happen.

I want to be a Starfleet captain

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

You're talking about people who when confronted with the terrible results of their choices can only respond "well, *I'm* doing well" as if that somehow justifies their position. As on your nose as Star Trek could often be, there's still some level of self-awareness that's required to really get those messages.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sash! posted:

Maybe, and I'm barely even going out on a limb, we simply disagree with the point they make and simply enjoy a well told story.
It's also possible to appreciate the merits of an idea while still mostly subscribing to an opposing (or just different) viewpoint. Though of course the typical reaction is to either ignore the challenging message, or twist your own interpretation of the work so that it supports your original view.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

You're talking about people who when confronted with the terrible results of their choices can only respond "well, *I'm* doing well" as if that somehow justifies their position. As on your nose as Star Trek could often be, there's still some level of self-awareness that's required to really get those messages.

Come on now, it's not just me doing well and it's disingenuous to say so. There's more new construction in my area now than I've seen in the last 10 years put together, and have you seen the unemployment and wage growth numbers? I don't know your story but you personally having a tough time, while I am sorry for you, does not make the results terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Come on now, it's not just me doing well and it's disingenuous to say so. There's more new construction in my area now than I've seen in the last 10 years put together, and have you seen the unemployment and wage growth numbers? I don't know your story but you personally having a tough time, while I am sorry for you, does not make the results terrible.

Yeah I have, Trump's first 21 months aren't as strong as Obama's last 21 months so maybe thank the Democrats dumbass, it's all feeding off the momentum of the economy they set up, actively being sabotaged by ridiculously idiotic trade policy that's going to come home to roost extremely soon. Jobs are up in November? No fuckin poo poo!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Yeah I have, Trump's first 21 months aren't as strong as Obama's last 21 months so maybe thank the Democrats dumbass, it's all feeding off the momentum of the economy they set up, actively being sabotaged by ridiculously idiotic trade policy that's going to come home to roost extremely soon. Jobs are up in November? No fuckin poo poo!

I see a lot of people here call Obama a right winger too, so have it your way if you want. He also had a Republican congress for the last 2 years of his term. And again, please show me where I have ever posted positively about Trump.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tighclops posted:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It's like you read the post, thought "I understand what this person is saying but of course it couldn't possibly apply to me because i'm special" and then proceeded to do exactly, precisely the thing that Tighclops was calling out. Verbatim. Unironically. Good lord.

edit: also, just to be clear, unemployment is dropping at exactly the same rate it has been since 2015, and wage growth has been so horrendously hosed for the last 35 years that it would take a triple digit swell to bring it to parity with 1980 numbers w/r/t productivity growth. Like, I get that you've got yours and that's nice but you literally don't know what you're talking about.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 6, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You just did you fucker, just cause you don't say his fuckin name don't mean poo poo.

The Republican Congress did two useful things while they were in power the last two years before 2016: Jack and poo poo. All they fuckin tried to do was grandstand on sent ceiling and cancel health care and shut down the government for no fuckin reason. You don't have any idea what you're talking about, you're a god damned child.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The fact that you keep posting hilariously out of touch poo poo like this as if it means anything to the teeming masses of working class and poor people in your country and mine only proves my point.

You're as clueless as the rich fucks from DS9's Past Tense two parter. Exactly as clueless, you could have been in that episode.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Son of Sam-I-Am barges onto the bridge of the enterprise, interrupting tense diplomacy with the Romulans to get answers about the whereabouts of his stock portfolio and to demand the captain address the ship and explain 21st century capitalist nightmare earth wasn't so bad because *he* made it out ok and is now drinking a great replicated martini.

I never said I supported Khan or his genocidal wars, in fact I'm against such things and did not wish death on his victims, just that I straight-ticket voted for his party and did quite well by them which is very ethically different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We got a lot of farmers with crops that they can't sell starting to rot. The effects of that's happened for the last 21 months aren't going to be felt until next year or later. There are a whole pile of dominos lining up and it's going to be quite bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

We got a lot of farmers with crops that they can't sell starting to rot. The effects of that's happened for the last 21 months aren't going to be felt until next year or later. There are a whole pile of dominos lining up and it's going to be quite bad.

Yep. The thing people seem to keep forgetting is that policy takes a long while to see any tangible repercussions. The last two years have been riding the momentum of the Obama economy and poo poo is about to hit a brick wall.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's like you read the post, thought "I understand what this person is saying but of course it couldn't possibly apply to me because i'm special" and then proceeded to do exactly, precisely the thing that Tighclops was calling out. Verbatim. Unironically. Good lord.

edit: also, just to be clear, unemployment is dropping at exactly the same rate it has been since 2015, and wage growth has been so horrendously hosed for the last 35 years that it would take a triple digit swell to bring it to parity with 1980 numbers w/r/t productivity growth. Like, I get that you've got yours and that's nice but you literally don't know what you're talking about.

I assumed it was related to the conversation he and I had yesterday or whenever it was - if not, my bad, for dragging myself back into wannabe D&D.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

You just did you fucker, just cause you don't say his fuckin name don't mean poo poo.

The Republican Congress did two useful things while they were in power the last two years before 2016: Jack and poo poo. All they fuckin tried to do was grandstand on sent ceiling and cancel health care and shut down the government for no fuckin reason. You don't have any idea what you're talking about, you're a god damned child.

I credit the tax cut bill more than Trump per se.

So, any more news on the Quentin Tarantino movie?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Baronjutter posted:

Son of Sam-I-Am barges onto the bridge of the enterprise, interrupting tense diplomacy with the Romulans to get answers about the whereabouts of his stock portfolio and to demand the captain address the ship and explain 21st century capitalist nightmare earth wasn't so bad because *he* made it out ok and is now drinking a great replicated martini.

I never said I supported Khan or his genocidal wars, in fact I'm against such things and did not wish death on his victims, just that I straight-ticket voted for his party and did quite well by them which is very ethically different.

PICARD: Here's what I propose. You can't stay on the Enterprise, but I have arranged for us to rendezvous with the USS Charleston, bound for Earth. They will deliver you there.
SAM: Then what will happen to us? There's no trace of my money. My office is gone. What will I do? How will I live?
PICARD: This is the twenty fourth century. Material needs no longer exist.
SAM: Then what's the challenge?
PICARD: The challenge, Mister Sam-I-Am, is to improve yourself. To enrich yourself. Enjoy it.
SAM: WHAT? I DEMAND THAT YOU RESTORE MY PORTFOLIO. UNHAND ME, YOU MONGRELS.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On a tangential note, it's been a long time since I've seen that episode. I had no idea that guy was the same actor as Adam Chance in Agents for H.A.R.M.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HD DAD posted:

"Well sure, Kirk did right by not killing the Horta, and by letting the Kelvans stay around in peace even though they originally came as conquerors. And sure, I felt bad for the Skrreea when they wouldn't let them settle on Bajor. But all these people saying that this means I should be nice to the illegals, well, I guess they just can't tell fiction from reality. The Horta didn't go around killing people like these illegals are doing. Wait, okay, I guess they did, but that's not the point. Now I'm not racist, but [extremely racist rant goes here]"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

"Well sure, Kirk did right by not killing the Horta, and by letting the Kelvans stay around in peace even though they originally came as conquerors. And sure, I felt bad for the Skrreea when they wouldn't let them settle on Bajor. But all these people saying that this means I should be nice to the illegals, well, I guess they just can't tell fiction from reality. The Horta didn't go around killing people like these illegals are doing. Wait, okay, I guess they did, but that's not the point. Now I'm not racist, but [extremely racist rant goes here]"

“Man, it’s crazy how Lokai and Bele would want to kill each other over something as trivial as what side of their face was white/black!”

*Votes to continuously disenfranchise minorities and installs extra locks when a black family moves next door*

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Science fiction and fantasy going over the heads of the willfully ignorant is a long and shameful tradition. See: Galactic Empire apologists (some of whom actually wrote EU novels that support their views), the racist Brexiteers quoting Pratchett, basically anyone who thinks Heinlein was playing Starship Troopers straight.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't even get me started on those people who think The Mule was a good guy!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Don't even get me started on those people who think The Mule was a good guy!

R. Daneel Olivaw did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'll have you know that Alderaan was a legitimate military target, however I think it was a disproportionate use of force

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Traitor Legions simply value personal agency! What's so wrong with that?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sash! posted:

That can't possibly be true in these particular cases because these are people who think Star Trek has suddenly and recently gone SJW.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

LividLiquid posted:

That can't possibly be true in these particular cases because these are people who think Star Trek has suddenly and recently gone SJW.

I know we’re kinda strawmanning a bit here for humor’s sake, but IRL I do know a few “conservative” trekkies, and they seem most taken by the authority structure of things. Like, admiring Picard as a benevolent yet firm leader. Or being really into the operational and technical side of Starfleet.

And yes, these same people moaned about DIS “pandering to SJWs”

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I have to wonder what exactly about STD triggers that reaction. Is it because there's finally an openly gay couple on the show? (even though they're insultingly stereotypical and the whole thing is treated like a big reveal plot twist) Is it that the lead character is a woman, or is it that she's not a white person? is it the marketing? ("look at the first star trek show with a black person in charge! Whoops I mean a woman in charge! Whoops I me-")

STD's "wokeness" is performative at best so I have to wonder how upset these people would be if the show actually began to resemble Star Trek

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I have to wonder what exactly about STD triggers that reaction. Is it because there's finally an openly gay couple on the show? (even though they're insultingly stereotypical and the whole thing is treated like a big reveal plot twist) Is it that the lead character is a woman, or is it that she's not a white person? is it the marketing? ("look at the first star trek show with a black person in charge! Whoops I mean a woman in charge! Whoops I me-")

STD's "wokeness" is performative at best so I have to wonder how upset these people would be if the show actually began to resemble Star Trek

It could be the performative nature itself rather than the substance of it. Or, in the case of Discovery, lack of the latter on almost any scale.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it's naive to think people can't watch a show and disagree with some of its messages. But acting like the franchise has "suddenly" become liberal is some really selective thinking. I can only assume it comes from some combination of people getting radicalized and refusing to realize it, which means anything they already like can't be a bad thing. Only new things can be bad. Which in itself is probably also a defensive reaction to the other extreme, which says "actually, all the old things you used to like are bad".

I guess basically what I'm saying is, the way we used to watch TV shows back in my day was better!!!!!

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 6, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they're mad about the cast taking a knee to support Colin Kaepernick?

This is the first star trek cast active on social media at the time of the show's airing, out there airing their political opinions. So in the past someone might have bounced off TNG if they knew Stewart was an outspoken feminist and gay ally, but there would be no way for them to know that.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Previous Trek was usually pretty good at coding issues and DSC has abandoned that in general.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zurui posted:

Previous Trek was usually pretty good at coding issues and DSC has abandoned that in general.

Yeah, and unfortunately some of that coding was necessary due to it being the 60s/90s. Now that we can allow gay humans on television and not present it under the veneer of “androgynous alien decides she’s female want wants to bang Riker”, maybe it’s different for some people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Real talk, it's because anti-SJWs are always okay with poo poo they hate if they saw it before they got redpilled.

They always trot out Sarah Connor and Ripley and say "why can't it be like that?" And, well, it is sometimes. And they still hate it. Because it's new, and not nestled safely in their childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Well, Discovery did had some not-so-subtle allegory last season. "Make the Empire Great Again," for example.