Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I got around to finishing Shenmue II today. I don't think I liked it quite as much as the first game but it was still pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While I didn't find navigating Kowloon much fun I appreciate the crazy lengths they went to to make it feel like an actual city given the hardware limitations of the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whatever happened to that game where you play as a cat in Kowloon Walled City? That concept seemed so cool, but I guess it never got off the ground.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

While I didn't find navigating Kowloon much fun I appreciate the crazy lengths they went to to make it feel like an actual city given the hardware limitations of the time.
Yo what was with the elevators there? Like there's the obvious puzzle element they're going for but they felt like very openly video gamey level design for a game that usually tried to make its environments relatively grounded.

Elevators in China can't really be that nonsensical...right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PC master race indeed...

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much yeah, the only ones this really hurts are the hardcore Diablo fanbase which is super tiny at this point. We are not a relevant base that Blizzard realistically should care about.

They lost me way back when they made Diablo 3 online only, I never bothered getting it. Looks like nothing has changed.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

PC master race indeed...

it was right there in plain sight :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Steve Bannon said straight up they recruited from gamergaters and WoW trolls.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Steve Bannon said straight up they recruited from gamergaters and WoW trolls.

Much like with any extremist organization, it is very, very easy to pull disaffected and ostracized people/youth in and give them the feeling of fitting in and being part of something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week is gonna be a sick one...New Splatoon update tonight and Hitman 2 on Friday...hell yeah.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo hitman

lets hang out posted:

mash r2 without holding l2

Weird, deadeye seems to just end for me as soon as the first shot goes off

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This week's gonna be sick cause I'm still playing RDR2.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How long is the kill Sean Bean mission gonna last for Hitman? I probably won't be able to get it till December.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh poo poo hitman

Weird, deadeye seems to just end for me as soon as the first shot goes off

I think you get an upgrade from a story mission at some point that lets you fire in dead eye without ending it. I dunno when that is because I'm still loving around in early chapter 2 and don't even have the upgrade that lets you manually tag targets yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

How long is the kill Sean Bean mission gonna last for Hitman? I probably won't be able to get it till December.

Probably like a week or two based on the frequency from Hitman 1.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mr E posted:

The original elusive targets were only available for like a day or two, then I guess people complained because they eventually started extending them to like a week

But I guess since it's Sean Bean it'll be available for at least a few weeks (though the Gary Busey one was only a week so idk)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

I think you get an upgrade from a story mission at some point that lets you fire in dead eye without ending it. I dunno when that is because I'm still loving around in early chapter 2 and don't even have the upgrade that lets you manually tag targets yet.

Oh weird. I just finished ch2 and didnt know there was more mechanics to go.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mr E posted:

I don't know about timeframe but I do believe they eventually recycled the elusive targets a couple of times to give people a second chance and give newcomers a shot at the early ones.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh weird. I just finished ch2 and didnt know there was more mechanics to go.

Yeah I think you get it early in chapter 3. It's not really a new mechanic as much of an update on an existing one. Instead of just tagging over and over when you're reticule is over an enemy, you manually tag shots with LT and then fire them all with RT.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Whatever happened to that game where you play as a cat in Kowloon Walled City? That concept seemed so cool, but I guess it never got off the ground.

Last update I saw was last December

https://hk-devblog.com/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yo, I'm trying to improve my 3D level design skills particularly organic outdoor levels. Can anyone recommend a game with good level modding tools that isn't a TES game? I'm more interested in doing flyovers of the actual game's levels so I can see all the little cheats designers implement to make poo poo work.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doom 2

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I know Portal 2 has some kind of level editing and sharing function which is probably pretty accessible. I think other Source games (ie Half-Life 2) have an editor of some kind too but I have no idea how usable it is

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

b_d posted:

I know Portal 2 has some kind of level editing and sharing function which is probably pretty accessible. I think other Source games (ie Half-Life 2) have an editor of some kind too but I have no idea how usable it is

they did a lot of work on the Source SDK over time for TF2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said 3D, not 2D

Speaking of which, I think some big mod dropped for Doom 2 over Halloween. I don't remember the name but the graphics were ridiculous.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tf2 and presumably other source stuff uses hammer which you can get from the tools section of the steam library (e: under source sdk i think). it's okay i guess i don't have any other points of reference for it

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Source's level editor (Hammer) is surprisingly user-friendly. The only other one I've used is UnrealEd, which was very powerful but also a lot more difficult.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

The original elusive targets were only available for like a day or two, then I guess people complained because they eventually started extending them to like a week

But I guess since it's Sean Bean it'll be available for at least a few weeks (though the Gary Busey one was only a week so idk)
Yeah its hard to say because Gary Busey was the only elusive target they didn't run again in 2016, but Sean Bean looks like to be playing an actual character instead of himself like Gary Busey was, so maybe they might bring him back once they start the rotation up?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does anyone know if there was ever a Torchlight 1/2 thread in Games? I have tried searching but I fear I am not utilising the search correctly and can only find references to the game in other threads.

I was going to start Torchlight 1 and wanted to know of any must have mods for the game. (Same for II as well when I get round to it.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

Does anyone know if there was ever a Torchlight 1/2 thread in Games? I have tried searching but I fear I am not utilising the search correctly and can only find references to the game in other threads.

I was going to start Torchlight 1 and wanted to know of any must have mods for the game. (Same for II as well when I get round to it.)
I think most people here would just tell you to play Diablo 3, Path of Exile, or Grim Dawn instead.

I played Torchlight 1 unmodded a couple years ago and liked it enough.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The above but also - I think both games have respec mods which you should definitely get, unless you're much more decisive than I am.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah its hard to say because Gary Busey was the only elusive target they didn't run again in 2016, but Sean Bean looks like to be playing an actual character instead of himself like Gary Busey was, so maybe they might bring him back once they start the rotation up?

It looks like he'll be available for 2 weeks

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1059923548934955011

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

I think most people here would just tell you to play Diablo 3, Path of Exile, or Grim Dawn instead.

I played Torchlight 1 unmodded a couple years ago and liked it enough.

I have all of those and have played them already. Diablo 3 is one of my most favourite games of all time.

I just thought I would give the torch lights a try. I never realised how much I enjoyed this style of game until Diablo 3. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Currently invested in the terribly acted story in Roundabout.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i didnt care for playing roundabout but i appreciate it very much

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

new undertale game actually looks pretty good tbh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMC_69eJdw4

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

I have all of those and have played them already. Diablo 3 is one of my most favourite games of all time.

I just thought I would give the torch lights a try. I never realised how much I enjoyed this style of game until Diablo 3. :)
Torchlight 1 and 2 are fine vanilla if you simply complete their campaigns like you'd do for regular games. Problems start when you enter endgame and go for the usual arpg grind to make levels go up - the gameplay just doesn't survive it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

new undertale game actually looks pretty good tbh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMC_69eJdw4
Hylics 1 was completely nuts so it's nice to see this hasn't changed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

Anyone know how to fan the hammer in rdr2? I know you're supposed to be able to empty a revolver into somebody in a single dead eye but i cant get it to happen. Maybe i dont have the right type of revolver?

If your Dead Eye is auto-tagging people as you cursor over them, just movethe cursor around on a guy until you get all 6 X's stamped. If it's been upgraded I think the button to press is R1 to tag a target, so go into Dead Eye, take your sweet time pressing R1 six times, then press R2 once to slap iron. "Fanning the hammer" happens when you rapidly tap R2 without holding L2, I'm not sure how you'd do that in Dead Eye since holding L2 is part of the DE trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cool thanks.

• Locked thread