Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ship upgrades only use one shipyard at a time so you can get things done in a fraction of the time if you split your fleet and work them simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"We took some animals and made them people!" always gets me. She's so jazzed about going all Isle of Dr. Moreau

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i guess i just assumed mothballing for storage/reduced maintenance costs would be an option in a game as expansive as this seems to be. seems a strange omission :shrug:

But yeah I'll burn some excess materials on at least two more science ships and get out there finding some sapients tomorrow

If you have a crew quarters on a station it knocks off upkeep while your fleet is docked there, which is sort of a mini-mothball. I guess someone could work up a mod that mothballs like in EU4 (basically drain health while mothballed, so you need to wait after unmothballing to repair to full).

Early on just the crew quarters should be sufficient.

If you want to mess around with sapients/uplifts and stuff you should jack up the generation of them on your galaxy to 150 or 200%. At 200% I seem to always get at least one in my initial land-grab area, while at 100% I often don't get one over several starts. Note that if you don't want to advance a race's tech to bring them to space age you can always just land troops and be the invincible aliens from the sci-fi movies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh jeez I was just meaning neighbors, I didn't even think about uplifts :stare:

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

I'm so pumped for 2.2. I had kind of given up on Stellaris because some of the basic design choices (tiles) were so bad, IMHO, but 2.2 / MC are fixing that and doing lots of other things I have wanted (better economy, building districts, etc.). Only problem is that:

1) Diplomacy update seems to be next, and I want that so bad too...

2) I like the new economy stuff but I'm not convinced it will really work. I think the economy rework would have me more excited if it was bringing in better differences between different types of economies, so more of a living free enterprise economy that could found colonies, trade, etc. Like DW and a few other games. Then again, the trade routes sound decent and could generate interesting gameplay.

If Diplomacy is next, I'm guessing we get another warfare focused push after that since warfare is apparently still not great. And yes, I want better armies / ground combat.

I'd also like to see a story pack focused on humans / earth. I bet a substantial part of the playerbase plays as humans, so a storypack with tons of content geared towards that would make sense. Could be fun to have gameplay that determines how Earth is united, early solar system exploration, etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Skippy McPants posted:

"We took some animals and made them people!" always gets me. She's so jazzed about going all Isle of Dr. Moreau

Same, I love her and that is my favorite line of hers :allears:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm in the middle of the weirdest game. I'm playing authoritarian/spiritual/militarist bird people.

I spawned near the core. Three jumps to the east were marauders. five jumps to the west was the crystal home system. No wormholes. No gateways. Just ~15 systems with four planets, and nothing else. I was entirely blocked in for the first 75 years of the game.

I broke out by using experimental jump and sneaking construction ships through the hostile systems. I donated thousands of resources to make friends to keep borders open, because frankly my birds are terrible people. Buncha dicks, really.

I spent gobs of influence claiming outposts across the galaxy in any system I could find. By time I could do this, the galaxy was about 95% colonized.

Then I started rivaling and insulting key targets. Ultimately they'd declare war (because I was weak), since I couldn't expand much. They'd blow up my far-flung outposts, then send their fleets to their inevitable doom at hands of the marauders or the crystal home system.

Thus weakened, their neighbors would pounce. Inevitably the shifting borders would open up a new system that I could, just maybe, survey and plop down a new outpost and start the cycle again.

In the year 2300, the crystal home system was finally destroyed. My closest neighbor, weakened by my political games, fell easily. They had defensive pacts, but too far to survive the blitz. I destroyed their fleets one by one, claimed all their planets, and now my territory is triple the size it was before!

Now my borders include the mauraders (who still haven't woke up), the only empire in the galaxy that still likes me, the caretaker fallen empire...and someone through a wormhole that I haven't explored yet. I really hope it's not the giant fanatic purifier that's taken over the entire northeast part of the galaxy.

Ms Adequate posted:

Same, I love her and that is my favorite line of hers :allears:

It's my favorite advisor line in the game.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Another advanced tip: Systems with a curator or artist station, black hole, or a nebula are prime real estate. Nebula systems you can build a building that gives +5 minerals for 2 upkeep, black holes have a +10 blue science, curators can give you a +5 to all research, and artists a +10 to unity.

These all take only 1 building slot, so if there is nothing else in the system they make for great anchorages if you need more fleet cap.

Later on if you're wanting to squeeze out any unity where possible there is an unlock that gives +1 unity, +25% governing ethos and -20 unrest for that system(deep space black site).

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ConfusedUs posted:

It's my favorite advisor line in the game.

Xenophobe line on the same is a strong contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbXQF1GLJ0&t=158s

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
wow i got the horizon signal chain in 2205

Also first time I played the COM on non-scaling Admiral. Should be fun!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

fspades posted:

Xenophobe line on the same is a strong contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbXQF1GLJ0&t=158s

Yeah that's good! Authoritarian is my favorite advisor overall.

Alien savages enlightened.

...somewhat

I like Xenophile better for that one line, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

STILL haven't found any fuckin neighbors :psypop: i DID murder a space amoeba for 1000 energy though, that helped me feel like I can eat the 8E upkeep of a colony ship long enough. My question is how to proceed

I need to colonize somewhere with high energy, I think, next? My robots all kinda seem to suck at dealing with energy tiles, but all the energy places are like 30% habitable. Rough go?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

STILL haven't found any fuckin neighbors :psypop: i DID murder a space amoeba for 1000 energy though, that helped me feel like I can eat the 8E upkeep of a colony ship long enough. My question is how to proceed

I need to colonize somewhere with high energy, I think, next? My robots all kinda seem to suck at dealing with energy tiles, but all the energy places are like 30% habitable. Rough go?
Trade Hubs in systems you have colonies in are a good investment.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hooray, finally found neighbors, and what luck, they're a gross loving bio hive mind!

purge the xenos :black101:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ciaphas posted:

Early game, you're expected to run periodic deficits in energy. Mostly when colonizing. As long as you don't run out, you're fine.

If you're running out of energy, you're over-extending yourself. Spend less on leaders/edicts until your economy stabilizes.

Build some Trade Hubs on your starbases, build some more energy buildings on planets, build energy space mines. That should keep you in small surpluses, enough to build a bank between those colonization-based deficits.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my mind and fingers are literally rebelling at writing this loving sentence so i'm going to heavily overqualify it

in Stellaris, for game mechanics and math purposes, is it still Slavery if you're a xenophobe and the species in question isn't your empire's starting species, or are the slaver factions going to Well, Actually at me if i try to satisfy their demands with that

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ciaphas posted:

my mind and fingers are literally rebelling at writing this loving sentence so i'm going to heavily overqualify it

in Stellaris, for game mechanics and math purposes, is it still Slavery if you're a xenophobe and the species in question isn't your empire's starting species, or are the slaver factions going to Well, Actually at me if i try to satisfy their demands with that

The slaver factions don't care who or what you enslave as long as you do.

In Stellaris, oppression is an equal-opportunity pastime.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ciaphas posted:

Of course it is. That's the only way to even get full slavery-qua-slavery; your starting species you can only enact a caste system.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

So I'll parrot the other guys a bit. You've got only 1 station built, and can handle 4 right now. If you click on the starbase you'll have an option to upgrade. Starbases in systems with a colony can be filled with trade, giving you 8 energy by default (+2 per hub if you've got the tech for improving trade stations). Another thing you can do is relocate your shipyard to a new system (chokepoint, or one of those special systems I mentioned earlier, or just a solid central location) letting you switch your starting starbase to energy as well.

Technically, your energy isn't in a bad spot, you're positive at the moment and have some banked up. Check your planets, see if you've got some 2 energy tiles under blockers you can get at, keep an eye on blue tech for energy buildings.

Even just building a starbase above your 2nd colony gives you enough energy to keep you in the black while building your next colony. Keep exploring, there is a chance that there are some high energy systems around as well.

Note that unlocking the supremacy tree gives you a big discount on starbases, and those get expensive fast. Level 1 upgrade is 300 so you save like 60 minerals each, but level 2 saves you something like 240, and it just goes up from there. Prosperity has some solid energy savings in it, it works really good as about your 3rd tree.

Remember that dry planets get better energy rolls on tiles (roughly 25% more on average), while wet gets more food and cold more minerals. I'd send one or two of those science ships out set to 'explore', and do a combination of looking for another empire and scanning planets. Ideally you'll find either natives or and empire that likes cold or dry, letting you then colonize those planets in your borders. Later on there is tech that lets you gene-mod your own dudes to like other environs, or when you get to droids you can send them off to colonize (robots are 100% hab on everything). Robots to colonize other biomes and migration treaties is another way to get pops to work other biomes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ciaphas posted:

The default galaxy generation setting is really bad, and makes for really empty galaxies. You should almost certainly increase the number of AI empires.

What do you mean by energy places? Settle your people where they'll do well, and use robots for minerals and food for now. If you really want minerals, settle one of those 30% habitable places, build some robots, then resettle your human back to a better planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Of course it is. That's the only way to even get full slavery-qua-slavery; your starting species you can only enact a caste system.

Yeah you wanna chattel people you gotta use aliens, we have transcended racism in the 23rd century and now have advanced to speciesism :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah I thought starbases were explicitly military for some reason, rather than mixed military/civilian, so i'd been ignoring them until I had some identifiable borders. Now I'm in slightly better shape

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I laughed when the only marauder empire awakened, because they were completely bottled up behind the xenophobe FE (The xenophile FE happens to be humans, but that's not relevant). I realized too late that they had a wormhole. Now the Khan is romping and stomping across the galaxy, and my Inward Perfection rear end is sitting back and watching, fortifying my own wormholes and getting annoyed by everyone and their mother calling me every ten minutes to tell me they have either closed my borders because they don't like me, or opened their borders because they like the Khan less than me. :munch:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Commonwealth it is, then.

When should I let my science ships research these anomalies instead of getting on with surveyal?

There are very few anomalies I research right away. A couple of them give tech (light show one is pretty common for instance, and gives you blue lasers), but otherwise it's better to wait until they are faster. The one big exception is if there is an anomaly on one of the nearby planets, in which case you have to research it in order to be able to colonize the thing.

I also delay every anomaly that will provide L-Gate clues until I've started the L-Gate chain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There's the one that gives you the +anomaly find chance. Use a +survey speed scientist to research it and you're gold.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh god some loving things popped out of a black hole and et one of my science ships

right outta my loving nightmares, that :cry:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are a couple of things that can pop out of black holes and eat your ships and the fact that you used the plural suggests to me that you have not encountered the one that will actually give you nightmares.

Or the other one that will probably give you even more nightmares over a longer period.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

oh god some loving things popped out of a black hole and et one of my science ships

we have such sights to show you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know for being defined as a point from which it is impossible to exit, black holes in stellaris are by far the most productive stellar bodies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ciaphas posted:

TIME IS SIGHT

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Galaga Galaxian posted:

TIME IS SIGHT

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

WHAT WAS WILL BE

WHAT WILL BE WAS

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Say no to the worm :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rynoto posted:

I have never seen a more wrong post in my life

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I always just end up ignoring factions. While that's viable, it's wildly inefficient I'm betting. Anyone have any general advice when dealing with them?

I'm going to assume there's more them than just 1) Pick faction you like 2) Support them 3) Potentially suppress ones you don't like.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Trivia posted:

I always just end up ignoring factions. While that's viable, it's wildly inefficient I'm betting. Anyone have any general advice when dealing with them?

I'm going to assume there's more them than just 1) Pick faction you like 2) Support them 3) Potentially suppress ones you don't like.

Yeah pretty much if you get things right you can easily get 3 factions on your side, 4 if you can toe that balance between the prosperity faction and the militarists

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rynoto posted:

Worm for president-elecdritch

Trivia posted:

Nope. Just makes sure that the two/three factions your government has can work together policy wise and ensure that you at least don't have any negative modifiers to their happiness(robots with spiritualists, alien rights as xenophobes, etc)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

iospace posted:

In more serious, have you ever said no to it? Nasty shock the first time I did out of curiosity.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You know for being defined as a point from which it is impossible to exit, black holes in stellaris are by far the most productive stellar bodies.

waaaaahhhhh :cry:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Check the date. :psyduck: The very first pirates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

iospace posted:

String the worm along right up until it tries to move in then murder it to death.