Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Rolled right in but I was there at 6:15. Heard it got dicey around 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fender Anarchist posted:

Florida.... :(

Time to plan my fuckin exit strategy quick like I guess

Lol why didn't you leave the minute you got your degree. Lots of jobs on the west coast in aerospace

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Betwho?

Now to see how NV and AZ and FL end up. We knew the house was gonna go this way.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Because florida is the real hotel california. :v:

Also, I did plugs, wires and coils on my buddy's rx8 today in exchange for a roof rack for my wagon. Managed to finish in 3 hours doing it mostly solo. Just got a text from him to the effect of "HOLY poo poo ITS SO FAST NOW". Almost 100k on the factory plugs, they weren't as bad as you would expect, but there was definitely some carbon build up and a gap a mile wide.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BraveUlysses posted:

Lol why didn't you leave the minute you got your degree. Lots of jobs on the west coast in aerospace

i've been going through some personal poo poo, that gives me a bit more stake in politics than I knew 6 months ago. also my sisters cancer had a mild resurgence that made it hard to even think about leaving. this is enough of a kick in the rear end to overcome all that though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Welp. gently caress it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And in a surprise to no one, nothing changed in Indiana.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I thought I'd been to enough concerts lately to predict the schedule, but tonight I walked in to a show at 9:15 and it was ending. The opener started at 7:30 and the headliner finished at 9:20. Shortest concert I've seen, which sucks because I missed it. Usually around here the headliners start at 9 or 10 and end at like 10:30-11:30.

As fascist as things are going, there were tons of progressive wins tonight. Colorado elected the country's first openly gay Governor tonight, good on us. He's even married!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

I might not be on the same team as everyone but I hope everyone voted no matter what. I had my voter registration card but they made me show my drivers license? I thought that was a whole hot button issue.

I've been having to do that in TX for years. There's only a few forms of state issued ID they'll accept (and a few federal).

Student IDs don't count, even if state issued (i.e. state university). My state issued student ID was enough for me to pick up controlled medications when I was attending a university, and to get me on a plane, damnit.

It's very much a hot button issue, but TX isn't budging on it right now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Someone who could be your next president.

You know, the one who's gonna take your guns away, send you to NPC Conversion Camp then force you into an arranged gay marriage with a Muslim immigrant from the caravan.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Our news sites are saying that a Good Thing has happened, politically, there.

So, congratulations!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Some good, some bad, more good than bad if your politics tend toward the left. This was just another step on the path.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When do I get my squad of illegal mexican MS-13 antifa supersoldiers to help me invade america and give everyone universal gay marriage healthcare

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Funny, I would have thought that Elton John would be right up their alley, what with all the leather chaps, studs and tassels. (I never get tired of pointing out exactly how gay BDSM most wannabe bikers actually look. Not because *I* think gay is bad, but because they do - or claim to.)

Metalheads too, all down to Rob Halford’s leather daddy fetish... :rock:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nvm

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

Some good, some bad, more good than bad if your politics tend toward the left. This was just another step on the path.

The Senate wasnt good for D but the rest of the board was very good.

Plus Beto, while he lost, put up a hell of a showing and showed himself to be the kind of person you want as a Presidential candidate. You got Gillam in Florida also stood up well. 2020 isnt just going to be the same Clinton shitshow - you have progressive and viable candidates that most certainly can beat Trump. Also it's quite clear the majority of the USA wants more of a centerish policy platform and the younger Dems are willing to run on that.

Yeah the evil cunts won the Senate but here's some hope for 2020 that there's someone the Dems can run that can beat the gently caress out of the Orange Turd.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I could see Beto running in 2020, and being a fantastic candidate. I don't know if he can pull the kind of dirtier poo poo he'd need to in order to go up against cheeto benito without tainting himself too much, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I imagine Democrats running Hillary again because she's Hillary and then I'll despair at the state of US politics because it'll distract me from the reality of living in a post-apocalyptic no deal-brexit England where I have to scavenge for food and fight off rival clans for rainwater.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Imagine it's all we'll be able to do after the glorious Tory empire decides we don't need access to the internet. For our own good.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
At the very least, the new governor probably won't try to take away my dad's pension like the old one did, so I'm happy about that

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

Our news sites are saying that a Good Thing has happened, politically, there.

So, congratulations!

Florida, texas and georgia disappoints, as always. E: and missouri IIRC. One of our local TV stations gets PBS news hour every day so they have access to their broadcasts already. They devoted 9am-1pm (my local time) to their mid-terms election coverage special.

To me it's loving obscene and insane that voting is optional, so billions get wasted in advertising trying to get people to vote.
If it was compulsory to vote like it is in Australia then I think election spending would be lower as they don't need to motivate people to get off their arse to show up. There's still some ads here, but as they know you're going to show up at a polling booth they can concentrate the ads there at the time you vote for maximum effect and minimum cost.
If everyone has to vote, it means way less ads annoying everyone on TV, less robo calls and less marketing needed. Save billions! You could even afford to have a vote on a weekend and have a democracy sausage sizzle then.
E2: Instead of compulsory voting and cheaper campaigns the USA is like restrict voters and maximize cost. Nice system.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 7, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

And Ohio goes virtually all red. Citizens United needs to go, because the number of well-funded commercials and ads presented by shadow corporations was absurd.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fo3 posted:

If everyone has to vote, it means way less ads annoying everyone on TV, less robo calls and less marketing needed. Save billions! You could even afford to have a vote on a weekend and have a democracy sausage sizzle then.
E2: Instead of compulsory voting and cheaper campaigns the USA is like restrict voters and maximize cost. Nice system.

Campaigning at the polls is forbidden. Like, if you show up with a shirt that has a stylized donkey and a hat the wrong shade of blue they will turn you away.

I have a KKK sympathizer as governor and Senator Voldemort in DC. I think I'm gonna be loving sick.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

And Ohio goes virtually all red.

At least the emergency services levies I voted for passed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fender Anarchist posted:

Campaigning at the polls is forbidden.
That's arse backwards because that's the only time you should allow campaigning IMO. Cheaper, more productive and less intrusive to the rest of your year. Plus you can meet candidates or their reps to really talk to them, or give them the shits with annoying questions, or tell them to gently caress off etc in person.
In the US system it seems you can't really meet candidates unless cheering them on in a pay per seat rally. You guys don't seem to have the meet and greet and have a hotdog voting day procedure down pat.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 7, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fo3 posted:

That's arse backwards because that's the only time you should allow campaigning IMO. Cheaper, more productive and less intrusive to the rest of your year. Plus you can meet candidates or their reps to really talk to them, or give them the shits with annoying questions, or tell them to gently caress off etc in person.
In the US system it seems you can't really meet candidates unless cheering them on in a pay per seat rally. You guys don't seem to have the meet and greet and have a hotdog voting day procedure down pat.

If ORDINARY NORMAL CITIZENS could meet politicians more of us might realize they're actual loving demons who owuld throw the lot of us into a literal giant food processor for 5 more cents in their bank account. This poo poo is working precisely as intended; keep the people distant from their golden god overlords, and spend billions to present a sanitized version of their policies and demonize their opponents.

Plus if we curtailed campaign spending, it might come out that all those donations are for the purpose of buying votes on the part of the billionaires and corporate overlords, and it just wouldn't do to have people realize that.

We are so hosed.

E: I forgot, "play wholeheartedly into your base's racism." People in FL were getting robocalls with a literal minstrel show. "HOWDY FOLKS I'S ANDREW GILLUM *MONKEY SHRIEK SOUND EFFECT* AND I'S GONNA TAKE YOU'S GUNS AND RAISE DEM TAXES SO'S I CAN BUY MESELF SOME WATAMELON AND FRIED CHICKEN!"

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 7, 2018

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

everdave posted:

Big solo road trip starts tomorrow. Ending up in New Orleans this weekend. What can I not miss?

When you're in NO go to pat o'briens but order anything else at the bar besides a hurricane. Whisky sour is a good bet. Then go to the courtyard and enjoy. Then when you leave get a hurricane cause why not and walk down Royal street.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fender Anarchist posted:

E: I forgot, "play wholeheartedly into your base's racism." People in FL were getting robocalls with a literal minstrel show. "HOWDY FOLKS I'S ANDREW GILLUM *MONKEY SHRIEK SOUND EFFECT* AND I'S GONNA TAKE YOU'S GUNS AND RAISE DEM TAXES SO'S I CAN BUY MESELF SOME WATAMELON AND FRIED CHICKEN!"

:staredog:

....what?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/gillum-targeted-new-racist-robocall-florida-governor-race-n923406

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Looks like Rick Scott is going to beat Bill Nelson by 35000 votes as well

everdave posted:

Big solo road trip starts tomorrow. Ending up in New Orleans this weekend. What can I not miss?

Never been there of course, but if you're after food I follow GWS chat and cooking threads and have these links and tips:
Someone posted a link to this site: https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-new-restaurants-new-orleans-nola-heatmap

Goon Phil Moscowitz posted these:
My recommendations of newer places, probably in this order:

Carrollton Market (definitely top)
The previously recommended BAB
DTB
Compère Lapin
Luvi (asian fusion)
Gabrielle
N7
Saba (israeli but overpriced IMO)
Poydras & Peters
Copper Vine
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post489372827

And there's this old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821078

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 7, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wow. I'm actually speechless.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blech. McSally still has a lead, and the margin is smaller than the number of (most likely mail in) votes that Green got, even though she withdrew from the race at the last possible moment.

gently caress me I wish we had preferential voting.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sorry to hear about all of you down south, but up here we finally gave Scott Walker the fuckin' boot.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

And in a surprise to no one, nothing changed in Indiana.

Yeah if anything we made poo poo worse

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

T-Square posted:

Sorry to hear about all of you down south, but up here we finally gave Scott Walker the fuckin' boot.

As your neighbor to the south, I heard that and say "well done".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just saw voter turnout was about 50%. Has it ever been that high for midterms?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wow. I'm actually speechless.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo.

:lol: at goons ITT being shocked that there are still racists in the south in TYOOL 2018.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i've been hiding this for like 4 months but gently caress it yall are cool

so yeah i caught me a case of the genders. that's pretty important context for my reaction to all this. my state vocally and undeniably wants me dead, or at least cares enough about MAH TAX DOLLARS that they're willing to vote in politicians who do, which is functionally no different. i can't even claim the right wingers are a vocal minority anymore, 8 million people voted yesterday, something like 60% of the state, and we still lost.

gently caress this state gently caress the south gently caress the country gently caress this gay earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wish you the best, and I wish you didn't have to hide who you are. Sorry about your country.

• Locked thread