Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

i second this. a really good episode.

it sounds like the book could've really been something great if it a) wasn't self-published by Some Guy (the fact nobody knows who this guy is and he suddenly appears and gets access to all these people is weird) and b) had an editor.

The weird thing is I feel like before I bought it I read a vague bio about how he was a real journalist or researcher or something and now I can't find that. I also didn't look very hard the second time, but there's not a lot out there for such a fake sounding name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This week's retro raw ends with a rape

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
HE GOT COUNTED OUT FROM NOWHERE

I HAVE A VERY LARGE BRAIN IM GOOD AT MATH IM TOO SMART FOR THIS poo poo

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I haven't listened to the B&V show yet but I THINK this is also the RAW where Big Boss Man interrupts the bell salute for Big Show's dad and reads out his hilariously tasteless poem.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nitro had Fifty Seven segments, one of which was the debut of Seven.

It is the Worst Wrestling Show Ever.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Lid posted:

Nitro had Fifty Seven segments, one of which was the debut of Seven.

It is the Worst Wrestling Show Ever.

Ive seen a Nitro where Jeff Jarrett cut the opening promo of the show. He then wrestled George Steele, Tito Santana & Jimmy Snuka. In three separate matches. In 3 separate segments. We’ve got a looooong way to go...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

Ive seen a Nitro where Jeff Jarrett cut the opening promo of the show. He then wrestled George Steele, Tito Santana & Jimmy Snuka. In three separate matches. In 3 separate segments. We’ve got a looooong way to go...

Is that before or after the Nitro where Jeff Jarrett goes over the entire Buffalo Bills 1st String offense?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 8, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
"he then gets into a fistfight with the ref. that should be a DQ
to be fair the ref was winning"

lmao

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lid posted:

I lost it at this. Gotta be top ten of the best of the year segments.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lid posted:

I think this might be my favorite B&V moment of the year to this point?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Seams posted:

i second this. a really good episode.

it sounds like the book could've really been something great if it a) wasn't self-published by Some Guy (the fact nobody knows who this guy is and he suddenly appears and gets access to all these people is weird) and b) had an editor.
I haven't listened to brother Mass/Mongo's take yet, but:

Other than a repeated story near the end, I didn't think Guy self-editing was especially noticeable. It wasn't as polished as it could have been with a proper editor, but I'm so used to badly edited wrestling books that I don't think it really stood out. I mean...Bret Hart's book had Mike Von Erich dying twice, in two different ways.

I have been wondering a bit about the "where did Guy come from?" thing. At first it seemed like he was some random friend of Neil Pruitt's, but that's clearly not the case. And there's no author bio in the book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

davidbix posted:

I haven't listened to brother Mass/Mongo's take yet, but:

Other than a repeated story near the end, I didn't think Guy self-editing was especially noticeable. It wasn't as polished as it could have been with a proper editor, but I'm so used to badly edited wrestling books that I don't think it really stood out. I mean...Bret Hart's book had Mike Von Erich dying twice, in two different ways.

I have been wondering a bit about the "where did Guy come from?" thing. At first it seemed like he was some random friend of Neil Pruitt's, but that's clearly not the case. And there's no author bio in the book.

In fairness, that's plausible for a Von Erich.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I knew Russo likes to book a ton of segments on Nitro, but wow

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

dsriggs posted:

Wasn't this a Thunder?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/829546475113820160

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
next week is the debut of Oklahoma

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's incredible how fast they flipped the switch from "Nitro actually wasn't that bad this week" to "worst wrestling show of all time." Russo truly is a miracle worker.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Benne posted:

It's incredible how fast they flipped the switch from "Nitro actually wasn't that bad this week" to "worst wrestling show of all time." Russo truly is a miracle worker.

This is kinda how we were.

The first like one and a half Russo Nitros were better than before because it felt different from the usual slop.

Then when it stopped feeling different it had to stand on its own legs and welp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

This was loving incredible. Them arguing over what classifies as "anywhere" was also fantastic.

"He was somewhere!"
"THAT'S ANYWHERE!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Wasn't this a Thunder?

No, it was Nitro.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MassRafTer posted:

No, it was Nitro.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=4359

LOOK AT THIS loving CARD

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

After rewatching the old Nitros I really feel like the Febuary 1999 episode of Nitro where there was no wrestling in the first hour and practically the entire main event scene face/heel turned a the same time can be pinpointed as the exact point Nitro's writing jumped the rails, never to return.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan: Look at the lives you have brought together, Dave.
Dave: Broken apart, too! :eng101:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

Three gimmick matches with Jeff Jarrett where he loses each one

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the gently caress

Three gimmick matches with Jeff Jarrett where he loses each one

there's a reason, its a stupid one, but there is logic

this was the go home show leading up to the most cursed PPV of all time, Souled Out 2000

if you recall this is the show where Benoit wrestles Sid for the title and quits

originally the match was going to be Bret/Goldberg

but Goldberg sliced his arm up in the window accident

Bret hadn't wrestled since Decemmber because of concussions and would never get medical clearance to work in WCW again

leading up to the show, with the ME out the window, they wanted to push for Bret vs Sid and then Sid vs Jarrett,

Jarrett was going to wrestle Benoit in a triple threat theater gauntlet at Souled Out, so they had him wrestle it on Nitro instead, where Benoit interfered in all 3 matches to get the old timers the win. so in the sense that there is logic in that it was going to build a challenger/payoff an angle for PPV on Nitro because plans were changing. its also stupid because at the end fo the day you beat your world title challenger by 3 old men in one night, but this is WCW and had actual world champion Jarrett lose to Sting in 26 seconds once

then Jarrett gets concussed by a Supafly Splash off the cage, then Russo tried to push for a battle royale to decide with the title with Tank Abbott winning and he got sent home, and it ends up being Sid vs Benoit (MRT correct me if I'm wrong on the sequence, because that entire ME situation and build was turbofucked)

also along the way Kevin Sullivan gets put back as booker, someone on the productions taff pulls a knife on Benoit, and then we get to a game of watching 4 men avoid Shane Douglas for a week

(incidentally they did keep the triple threat theater on the PPV itself, but with Billy Kidman wrestling the Revolution ins place of it. it's why Dean Malenko is in the infamous catch rules match)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan: Look at the lives you have brought together, Dave.
Dave: Broken apart, too! :eng101:

So sad to hear about the passing of Dave’s world class abs today

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

there's a reason, its a stupid one, but there is logic

this was the go home show leading up to the most cursed PPV of all time, Souled Out 2000

if you recall this is the show where Benoit wrestles Sid for the title and quits

originally the match was going to be Bret/Goldberg

but Goldberg sliced his arm up in the window accident

Bret hadn't wrestled since Decemmber because of concussions and would never get medical clearance to work in WCW again

leading up to the show, with the ME out the window, they wanted to push for Bret vs Sid and then Sid vs Jarrett,

Jarrett was going to wrestle Benoit in a triple threat theater gauntlet at Souled Out, so they had him wrestle it on Nitro instead, where Benoit interfered in all 3 matches to get the old timers the win. so in the sense that there is logic in that it was going to build a challenger/payoff an angle for PPV on Nitro because plans were changing. its also stupid because at the end fo the day you beat your world title challenger by 3 old men in one night, but this is WCW and had actual world champion Jarrett lose to Sting in 26 seconds once

then Jarrett gets concussed by a Supafly Splash off the cage, then Russo tried to push for a battle royale to decide with the title with Tank Abbott winning and he got sent home, and it ends up being Sid vs Benoit (MRT correct me if I'm wrong on the sequence, because that entire ME situation and build was turbofucked)

also along the way Kevin Sullivan gets put back as booker, someone on the productions taff pulls a knife on Benoit, and then we get to a game of watching 4 men avoid Shane Douglas for a week

(incidentally they did keep the triple threat theater on the PPV itself, but with Billy Kidman wrestling the Revolution ins place of it. it's why Dean Malenko is in the infamous catch rules match)

If anything this just made my head hurt more

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The Wrestling Observer Rewind on Wreddit passed up the retro shows a few weeks ago and this entire period sounds like an incomprehensible mess backstage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

So sad to hear about the passing of Dave’s world class abs today

So long as he can hold onto the guns just a few more years :ohdear:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

If anything this just made my head hurt more

good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Stop talking about that podcast stuck 19 years in the past and join The Monumental Podcast here in the future. Cath returns to the show for all things Jericho Cruise!

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1060718983144488961

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
VOW got to interview Gabe for their flagship
https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1060670819997769731

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I was looking up Bryan and Dave's rant about Crown Jewel to listen to it again for fun and found this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58NzRyqYWQ

Angry weirdo rants about Dave for over ten minutes from the seat of his car. Compares Dave's Japanese fandom to black lives matter. It's pretty amazing. The comments are also something else. I didn't even know Meltzer had 100 haters in total and it looks like they're all in one place.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

One of the loons spun up by Bischoff or Prichard is going to show up at Dave's house someday.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Dave flexing about how he doesn’t need WWE network because of his extensive tape collection. Love you, Dave.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hulkamatt offhanded suggestion of Kota Ibushi vs PCO now must happen. On a boat even

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hulkamatt offhanded suggestion of Kota Ibushi vs PCO now must happen. On a boat even

look im just saying i just watched him jump off a balcony a few hours ago

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Granny: I don’t watch football any more
Bryan: What turned you on football?
G: ...what turns me on??
B: :what:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004