Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bob's Burgers does a pretty good job with their gay characters. There's an episode where Bob keeps ruining turkeys for Thanksgiving and going back to the same meat counter and the butcher eventually thinks Bob is just doing it to flirt. The joke isn't "haha this guy thinks Bob is gay, watch him freak out" but instead Bob thinking he isn't good enough for the butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In a similar vein, they do transgender just fine too:

quote:

Gene: Try a third one, Mom!
Linda: Okay! The next person to walk in will be tall, dark and handsome.
Bob: Um, *ahem*, I'm already here.
Gene: Hehe, good one, Papa.
Bob: Thank you, son.
Gene: You're welcome.

(Marshmallow walks into the restaurant.)

Marshmallow: Marshmallow in the house. Now put a burger in my mouth.
Bob: Oh, hey, Marshmallow.
Linda: *(gasps)* Tall, dark and handsome!
Gene: That settles it: Mom's psychic!
Bob: No she isn't! Marshmallow isn't handsome. She's....beautiful.
Marshmallow: Blush!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was always impressed with Shameless (US) and how they portrayed their gay characters.

What do gay people think about Shameless?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

I mean the Will and Grace cliche was definitely a step up from Blue Oyster Bar.
Bargaining while advancing is absolutely a positive thing, but it doesn't make every step on the rung of the ladder good just because it was better than its predecessors.

Don't ask don't tell was awesome compared to people within the service actively trying to discover queer folk and dishonorably discharging them, but it was still super bad and wrong.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bring back old gbs posted:

I was always impressed with Shameless (US) and how they portrayed their gay characters.

What do gay people think about Shameless?

I think Ian is the worst character on the show but I've absolutely loved how they handled his storyline (in relation to him being gay, at least. his actual plots not involving his early love life stuff is p bad and dumb), esp when Mickey was in the picture. It was super refreshing to see a main gay character who doesn't fit any of the old stereotypes, then to have him involved with someone who bucks those stereotypes even more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Purge was renewed.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/the-purge-renewed-for-a-second-season-at-usa/amp/

It's been bland but watchable as background stuff. I just wonder how well they will close out the first season this week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PaybackJack posted:

gently caress Friends.

Coupling(UK) is/was way better.

As a Welsh person, I still remember being genuinely surprised Jeff wasn't actually played by a Welsh actor. He killed that part, and 'The Girl with Two Breasts' is an incredible episode.

(doh got mixed up with The Man With Two Legs before, although I'm sure that was a really good one too. So need to re-rewatch this show, even though I'm sure I never make it through s4).

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 6, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Bob's Burgers does a pretty good job with their gay characters. There's an episode where Bob keeps ruining turkeys for Thanksgiving and going back to the same meat counter and the butcher eventually thinks Bob is just doing it to flirt. The joke isn't "haha this guy thinks Bob is gay, watch him freak out" but instead Bob thinking he isn't good enough for the butcher.

Bob's Burgers does a pretty good job of everything, really. There aren't many jokes at anyone's expense. I actually can't remember any, though there may have been some. There's the "wrong type of autistic" joke in the pilot, I guess.

Basically the entire show is full of people that would have been considered weird or strange or off-putting five or ten years ago but (though it sometimes takes an episode) the other characters accept them for who they are.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

esperterra posted:

I think Ian is the worst character on the show but I've absolutely loved how they handled his storyline (in relation to him being gay, at least. his actual plots not involving his early love life stuff is p bad and dumb), esp when Mickey was in the picture. It was super refreshing to see a main gay character who doesn't fit any of the old stereotypes, then to have him involved with someone who bucks those stereotypes even more.

One of the few things I appreciate about Shameless nowadays is that Ian is a big gay mess and hell, :same:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

I will defend the quiz sequence from The One With The Embryos as one of the all-time funniest set pieces to my dying breath

It’s definitely up there with Frasier Crane’s Nightmare Inn.

The dinner party in the last season of Peep Show is really growing on me as well.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am really interested to see what the Bob's Burgers movie is going to be. Their two part episodes have been really good. The cookbook is good as well, I've made two burgers from it in the past few weeks and they were both excellent. I did have to go to three different stores to find fig jam, but it was worth it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am really interested to see what the Bob's Burgers movie is going to be. Their two part episodes have been really good. The cookbook is good as well, I've made two burgers from it in the past few weeks and they were both excellent. I did have to go to three different stores to find fig jam, but it was worth it.

gently caress I'm Good, Just Ask Me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Coupling is very funny and really smart with its use of structure but its treatment of gender stereotypes is so awful for both men and women. I loved it at the time and I still do love it now but with some serious reservations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I didn't make it through streaming Coupling, but The Giggle Loop is a darn good episode of television.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Something of note I've been enjoying on the topic of gays and sitcoms: Gayest Episode Ever is an irregular podcast (just beginning its "second season") which picks out your "very special"/"gay episode"s of sitcoms and looks at them both in the light of the era they debuted in as well as how they hold up today, comedically and in terms of representation. It's a pretty fun show, and their between-season format breaking episodes (like interviewing one of the gay writers who worked on things like the lesbian kiss episode of old Roseanne, or taking on non-sitcom gay episodes) are a treat.

Anyway go listen. It's ended up getting me to revisit a few older shows.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vince Gilligan wrote a Breaking Bad movie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bad-movie-creator-vince-gilligan-works-1158881

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh gently caress, Walt didn't die, did he? Come on, Gilligan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The most important detail is whether it’s a prequel or not. Couch Chat needs to know.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Pinkman Origins

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pinkman Begins, Bitch

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Badger The Musical

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bentacos posted:

Badger The Musical

Mushroom, mushroom?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Production is expected to begin this month in New Mexico.

Well that was loving fast.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it doesn’t star Val Kilmer and Slash I don’t even want to know.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

Gilligan, sources say, will pen the script, executive produce and possibly direct. Breaking Bad and prequel series Better Call Saul exec producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are also said to be attached to the film project, which is said to follow the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom.

But we already had the Need For Speed movie?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Alternate timeline where Crazy 8 escapes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's about Gale's adventures in Thailand.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Titans spoiler image in the thread for those not paying attention to it.

Try not to ruin it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

Coupling is very funny and really smart with its use of structure but its treatment of gender stereotypes is so awful for both men and women. I loved it at the time and I still do love it now but with some serious reservations.

A Steven Moffat creation, I believe.

McSpanky posted:

But we already had the Need For Speed movie?

It's a feature-length version of that one X-Files episode he wrote where Bryan Cranston plays the guy who has to drive across the country before his head explodes.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a Welsh person, I still remember being genuinely surprised Jeff wasn't actually played by a Welsh actor.

Apparently, so was Moffatt. He was determined not to have any silly accents, and it wasn't until way into production that he discovered Richard Coyle wasn't actually Welsh.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lycus posted:

Oh gently caress, Walt didn't die, did he? Come on, Gilligan.

uhhhhh yeah but we never see the flash forward, when a group of migrants trying to sneak over the border get accosted by a gang of ICE agents. GUNSHOTS ring out, and the camera pans over to a little girl wearing an oversized blue hoodie with BITCH stencilled on

Got names??

W-who are you?? the migrants ask (SUBTITLED)

The name's Holly..... Holly White *puts on glasses*

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I forgot about Holly! it's going to be about Pinkman getting back into meth with Holly as his sidekick.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rocksicles posted:

Titans spoiler image in the thread for those not paying attention to it.

Try not to ruin it

That 'spoiler' was announced a couple of months ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Apparently, so was Moffatt. He was determined not to have any silly accents, and it wasn't until way into production that he discovered Richard Coyle wasn't actually Welsh.

Ha, I hadn't heard that. Even better, and makes me feel slightly less doltish for falling for an accent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apropos of the earlier conversation, and I may have posted this here before, but it's instructive to see how far gay representation has come since the 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpuJb9MnZDE

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Moffatt is bad. That being said, the new series of Doctor Who is the best it's ever been. It's back to being a kid's show but it has actual decent writing and directing. I really like it a lot. I can't stand the Doctor Who thread though I don't know how some of you do. Most of the actual show threads kinda suck though so maybe I'm just a grumpy dick.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are all bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season of DW so far is definitely washing away the bad taste of the Moffat years but I don’t know that it’s good enough to do more than that for me. The new Doctor and companions are great but the episodes so far are sorta pleasant, kinda dull, very Chibnall basically

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm enjoying Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj but the frenetic way he speaks and moves around, the quick camera cuts, and the visuals in the background constantly going crazy are a little irritating. It's like a big budget version of a Youtube vlog. It's like John Oliver but millennial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm enjoying Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj but the frenetic way he speaks and moves around, the quick camera cuts, and the visuals in the background constantly going crazy are a little irritating. It's like a big budget version of a Youtube vlog. It's like John Oliver but millennial.

I just listen to it as if it were a podcast because of this.