Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xarbala posted:

To be fair, all those extra movement options raises the skill ceiling really high for dumb idiot casuals like myself.

I've never gotten more hate mail in any game than Titanfall 2 because I spent every generation using nothing but A-Wall and the Devotion. No amount of parkour beats a shield and a death ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What the hell even is CoD campaigns after Titanfall 2?

I'm playing through Blops 3 campaign I guess.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
TF2 is / was so good. Not only possibly the best MP of any shooter I played (Maybe Quake 3 is tied) but the best SP of any first person shooter by far.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The movement tricks in Titanfall 2 aren't very hard. A couple of hours in custom games practicing and I was good to go. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert/great at it but I can slide-hop around and Grapple slingshot myself well enough to get position on folks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think the jaded, hyper-reactive instant gratification oriented gamer market these days was ready to trash the game before it even came out and was never going to give the single player mode a real shot after the TF1. Which is a drat shame because I genuinely enjoyed A Boy and His Bot. The time jumper level felt like something right out of Half Life and, again, was focused on letting you feel like the baddest, scariest thing on two meat-legs around.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That level was so sick. I want respawn to make a nightcrawler game. Heck, a Spiderman game from them would probably rule too, given how good movement feels in this. Haven't played the new PS4 Spidey game but apparently the web swinging is really simplified and basically just automatically works for you. I want more skill based movement systems dammit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
On the whole movement skill thing, I gotta ask you guys: How much of the general gaming population do you think can land a shock combo without standing still from UT?

TF2 was doomed from the start.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I probably couldn't honestly, my aim blows.

Edit: More of a flack cannon man myself

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 6, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh hey, guys also the Anti Titan Sentry Turret is good!

Just save 3 up for late match and find a battle where 2 friendly titans are losing against 4 enemies, smack all three down on a rooftop and watch your titan meter and killcount skyrocket

I got 45 points in under 10 seconds last night

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
TF2 campaign should be counted among the greats. That honor may be stolen just for releasing during the turn to multiplayer-focused games and shooters.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that's the best single player campaign I've ever played in a shooter hands down.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Zigmidge posted:

On the whole movement skill thing, I gotta ask you guys: How much of the general gaming population do you think can land a shock combo without standing still from UT?

I can't do that, but then I haven't played much UT.

You guys seriously overstimate the skill requirement for multiplayer TF2.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

And you underestimate how bad people are at video games.

This is a world where 360 no scope is considered a trick shot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also even when arena shooters were the king of the world in terms of online multiplayer 99% of players couldn't do that stuff either. People played it because a lot of people played it and it was fun even if you sucked

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I don't think so, I know some real decent players that don't know how to employ slidehopping.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zigmidge posted:

????

It is??

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

What would you consider higher skill than Titanfall 2? I honestly can't think of a game that plays as quick as TF2 that has so much depth due to it's options and movement. Quake Champions maybe? I haven't played it so I can't say.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think TF2 is the best shooter out there, but tbh I don't think it really has a higher bar for entry than any other popular shooter or a higher skill ceiling either. I don't get why people in this thread think that. Look at any popular shooter and there are people that are at a level that is way beyond any of us.

And for the record it's good that the bar for entry isn't too high in TF2. It's a good game that tries to let everyone have fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A game with a high skill ceiling doesn't bar anyone from entry, it only allows for players to get a lot better. And TF2 is definitely one of those games where a good player will just bodybag anyone that isn't that skilled. This is why Matchmaking and rankings are a thing now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's every shooter dude.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not quite because Titanfall adds verticality that most shooters lack, unique movement options to deal with it all at a speed that most shooters don't run at. In a lot of shooters the player movement has two speeds, no momentum and isn't variable. This is where the depth of Titanfall comes from.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I still play Unreal and UT99 from time to time and can do (at 10-15m max while jumping/dodging) but with a controller hell no and my aim with a controller is quite decent.

Also, you'd be surprised the amount of people that didn't know the shock combo back in the days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Making me wanna go play UT and Q3, guys...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah you guys are confusing a high skill ceiling with ease of play. The game is just as easy to get into as any other game. My 13 year old nephew only has played COD like games and jumped in easy. He just needed to be exposed to the game and give it a chance. He says the real problem which is he just forgot about the game,it got buried and was scared to jump in fearing it was dead or harder than it is. The game is very much alive and playable and not hard and people need to spread that word instead of potentially scaring people off with the false fears.

RBX fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 7, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, for all of its movement options, TF2 is still primarily a hitscan game, unlike, say, arena shooters and Tribes.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I keep seeing this thread have 20 or so new posts. Is anyone playing regularly on PS4? I;d love to get into this game again.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

We're goons we don't play the games we talk about are you high

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I play often. Killed 8 titans with Tone in one match last night. Suck it nerds.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I still play sporadically as Kithyen on Ps4. I haven't had to wait longer than 30 seconds to a minute for games regardless of time of day.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Add HAIL-KING-BEAR on PS4. I'll re-install TF2 tonight.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bear is driving! posted:

Add HAIL-KING-BEAR on PS4. I'll re-install TF2 tonight.

I'm sure you have it already but if not I noticed there's a banner in the game of Bear Riding Tiny Tricycle Up Ramp that you definitely should aspire to given your proclivities.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

RBX posted:

Yeah you guys are confusing a high skill ceiling with ease of play. The game is just as easy to get into as any other game. My 13 year old nephew only has played COD like games and jumped in easy. He just needed to be exposed to the game and give it a chance. He says the real problem which is he just forgot about the game,it got buried and was scared to jump in fearing it was dead or harder than it is. The game is very much alive and playable and not hard and people need to spread that word instead of potentially scaring people off with the false fears.

:yeah:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Skill Floor and Skill Ceiling are distinct, yes, and yet I still don't think Tf2's Skill Floor is all that accessible.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think there are quite a few things that really compound skill gaps. I don't think its hard to pick up, but I do think you will get dominated to the point where you learn very little.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Okay, try this loadout. Start watching the minimap for crowds of peons and just throw C4 at them, instant death. C4 and Thunderbolt combo also works on Reapers. Also, if you decide to take A-Wall and see a couple Reapers throw that wall down and tear them to shreds with the R97.

- turn on auto sprint option
- widen the FoV in options
Pilot -

Hey BP, just posting that I tried the R97+A-wall combo and someone got legit mad at me because after a match he ended on my team and started to scream at his mic.

I always used SMGs with stim or grappling hook but drat, is my new favourite combo.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Zigmidge posted:

wtf does this even mean

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Is it too on the nose for you?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you guys see DoctorCatHaver on pissfore give me a yell and I'll be all over another run at TF2.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zigmidge posted:

Is it too on the nose for you?

It really isn't, it's the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

F_D is still my favourite co-op mode of all FPS games. I played a few games yesterday and if your teammates aren't brain dead or you're playing War Games because that map is the worst.