Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Helsing posted:

I think that the last sentence is really the key here. I agree that at the moment a more authoritarian party means in practice a more milquetoast centrist party because those are the types of people currently in power. But the left shouldn't settle for having a few decent MPPs it should be aiming to control the party. And in a hypothetical scenario where it gained such control it would be a terrible mistake if they actually attempted to behave in a more fair manner toward their defeated opponents or toward the opposition parties.

I think that creating norms for discourse and the ability for social movements to wage limited campaigns is worthwhile for parties. The first argument is that it is more likely for people to win contests if they are already involved in the party. I do not think that there is a social movement is powerful enough to win all the internal elections within one cycle. I think that is important for lefties to be able to contest nominations and do work to push the internal overton window of the party around. Corbyn was an MP for a long time before a social movement chose him as leader and he needed allies in the house to prevent his ouster. The second thing that continued flexibility, and responsiveness brings is that more and more leftwing candidates can jump into the party as it gets dragged forward. The risk is that someone who seems leftwing for this political moment could get in, politics could shift and the harperite control would stifle the ability of social movements to push the party forward.

When parties form government, at the moment there are tons of pressures that force them to be more moderate. Internal party discipline, a culture of never breaking rank, and every convention being intensely stage managed means that it is harder for social movements to make governments accountable.

Finally, I think having everything be tightly controlled might just lead to the whole circular left firing squad. It is indeed tight party control that makes the phenomenon of the Wildrose and Reform parties necessary. If there can be no debate or dissent intraparty than it must take place interparty.

Finally, I think that, whipped votes are okay on most matters, but outside of that example, a movement that could thoroughly takeover a party would probably win most internal votes and struggles. There is a purpose of good process. If a process does produce better policy or makes people feel heard, then the labour and value they bring is kept together in the movement. Having bad process or a top down control means that when you lose you quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It doesn't surprise me, but the fact that National Post ran a world war one article about how epic and deadly Canada was during the hundred days offensive is disappointing. Oh sure they pay lip service to the fact that tens of thousands of Canadians died for those gains, but it is absolutely ra-ra jingoism about our shining moment of martial excellence.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Show me someone who says they haven't sent a nude on Snapchat and I'll show you a liar

At least for millennials. Probably should be more wary about dickies when you're an elderly public figures but no one said boomers were smart

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

Show me someone who says they haven't sent a nude on Snapchat and I'll show you a liar

At least for millennials. Probably should be more wary about dickies when you're an elderly public figures but no one said boomers were smart

I haven't but I've been in a committed relationship/gender dysphoric as gently caress since before snapchat existed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't even own a Snapchat

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

never sent anyone a dick pic, my flip phone doesn't have a camera.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
loving amateurs, you should be uploading your dick pics to the cloud and sending them with a revenue-generating link shortener.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Always remember the 3 rules of Dick Pics

https://youtu.be/Isu_ECMW-D4

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The trick is to send a pic of a similar but provably different dick. That way when they try to blackmail you you can be all "lol that's not my dick." On the off chance it's not catfishing and you've found the one woman who responds positively to dick pics (you haven't) she probably won't notice the difference anyway.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It doesn't surprise me, but the fact that National Post ran a world war one article about how epic and deadly Canada was during the hundred days offensive is disappointing. Oh sure they pay lip service to the fact that tens of thousands of Canadians died for those gains, but it is absolutely ra-ra jingoism about our shining moment of martial excellence.

Someone here posted a good read a while back that went into pretty good detail about how Remembrance Day has been slowly taken over and re-purposed by government and military bodies to basically become this giant patriotic recruitment ad.

It was honestly really depressing, especially now that Im reading my grandfathers old journals from the end of the war and just after it. He literally described it as hell on earth. :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also the Canadian history of some battles is a little skewed.

For example, Passchendaele was less Canada being incredibly bad rear end and steam rolling the Germans, and more the local commander, Von Makelson refusing to obey his orders to fall back to the better, more secure defensive lines to let the Canadians be destroy by a well targeted artillery strike because he had been the German Supreme Commander until his failures caused him to be demoted and Von Hindenburg and Ludendorff to be granted command. He hated this and refused to obey the orders that had been successful in other parts of the line and told his men to hold at all costs, which enabled the Canadians to overrun them.

Canadian forces were one of the most effective front line troops in the First World War, but not all of it is purely due to Canadian awesomeness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

For example, Passchendaele was less Canada being incredibly bad rear end and steam rolling the Germans, and more the local commander, Von Makelson refusing to obey his orders to fall back to the better, more secure defensive lines to let the Canadians be destroy by a well targeted artillery strike because he had been the German Supreme Commander until his failures caused him to be demoted and Von Hindenburg and Ludendorff to be granted command. He hated this and refused to obey the orders that had been successful in other parts of the line and told his men to hold at all costs, which enabled the Canadians to overrun them.

Canadian forces were one of the most effective front line troops in the First World War, but not all of it is purely due to Canadian awesomeness.

Wow I’m reporting you to Ontario Proud for this sedition

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

The trick is to send a pic of a similar but provably different dick. That way when they try to blackmail you you can be all "lol that's not my dick." On the off chance it's not catfishing and you've found the one woman who responds positively to dick pics (you haven't) she probably won't notice the difference anyway.

Bear in mind that this scenario if they do go through with the blackmail anyway it ends with you having to show your penis in court as testimony.

So still not a GREAT decision overall.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bear in mind that this scenario if they do go through with the blackmail anyway it ends with you having to show your penis in court as testimony.

So still not a GREAT decision overall.

Please don’t kink shame

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

twistedmentat posted:

For example: The Battle of Vimy Ridge does not exist in many non-Canadian histories of the war. It’s just a minor piece of the much larger Battle of Arras. Vimy wasn’t even very significant in Canada, with many Canadian histories omitting it entirely, until the creation of the monument.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm surprised we never hear about the battle of Caen from a Canadian historical perspective, at least I've never heard anyone mention it.

It was a huge strategic victory during a non-pointless war and Canadian forces were actually a key part of the victory

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 7, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm surprised we never hear about the battle of Caen from a Canadian historical perspective, at least I've never heard anyone mention it.

It was a huge strategic victory during a non-pointless war and Canadian forces were actually a key part of the victory

That's because the narrative of the Normandy Campaign has been so thoroughly overwritten by the American perspective that they'd have you believe Caen was just Monty loving up repeatedly while the USA did all the hard work elsewhere.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
im so grossed out by thinking of tony clements dick

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Someone here posted a good read a while back that went into pretty good detail about how Remembrance Day has been slowly taken over and re-purposed by government and military bodies to basically become this giant patriotic recruitment ad.

The World At War's Remember episode is pretty good at illustrating the change in mindset since it was made in the 1970s; you can definitely see how somber it's played and now you've got

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's the strongest argument for vegetarians I've ever seen. I'm actually legit angry at that

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dear Ron MacLean. Dear Coach's Corner.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/Allisomething/status/1059979264798482432

So, yeah, ole Tony was a creeper.

I mean, it's still sextortion and he is a victim in this case, but he's also a massive creep.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/TraceyKent/status/1059996185883070465?s=19

Former conservative has lots to say about Clement. Check her feed

e: some of it :tinfoil:, some of it you can't unsee

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 7, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As someone with family going through similar but somehow even more hosed up circumstances I hope he drives his car into a tree as fast as he can and has just enough of his brain matter left intact to take a second go-around and finish the job

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

As someone with family going through similar but somehow even more hosed up circumstances I hope he drives his car into a tree as fast as he can and has just enough of his brain matter left intact to take a second go-around and finish the job

What in the gently caress?

Also I bet 2 dollars the whole extortion thing is just a cover up and its just regular old sex pest politician poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
€50K is a weirdly specific detail to release in that case, as is the whole "RCMP is investigating" part.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Don't send nudes people, its pretty easy to understand. Once they leave your possession or are connected to the internet you are exposing (:razz:) yourself to unintentional outcomes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Teaching abstinence never works. Good luck with that though!

In this guy's specific case though, yeah, don't send pictures of your junk.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Don't send nudes people, its pretty easy to understand. Once they leave your possession or are connected to the internet you are exposing (:razz:) yourself to unintentional outcomes.

From what I've gathered, once you install this Snapchat, it compels you into sending nudes through free chests or aggressive notifications or something.

e: they should write this specific case into the new sex ed curriculum

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Actually, it's 2018, we're all naked online now.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

xtal posted:

Actually, it's 2018, we're all naked online now.

Naked while online != naked online

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

From what I've gathered, once you install this Snapchat, it compels you into sending nudes through free chests or aggressive notifications or something.

Unlock loot crates with your dong.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I’m pretty sure that was covered by the Liberal one. No surprise the Cons wanted it pulled, they needed more naive victims.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Sexy stuff belongs in parks

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/macleans/status/1060218161654628352

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powerful Men

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

drat, NAMBLA's making a comeback.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That cover honest to god makes me nauseous looking at it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I'm digging the way it paints people trying to accelerate us towards inexorable climate change catastrophe like they're heroic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm loving the repeated use of the word "powerful" in the cover and Twitter copy.