Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The odds of us losing Senate seats was always bigger than the odds of us gaining seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Grognan posted:

predicting that jacky rosen is succdem because she already is from her rep seat voting

All Dems are succdems, hth

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Waking up to Walker losing is very nice

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
youguys ready for some decorum for the next 2 years!?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Glad to wake up and see steve king win. Thanks for continuing to disappoint 4th district.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sajobi posted:

How bad is it for democrats that republicans still hold the senate?

Honestly, if they're gonna have a majority, it's probably better that it be a slightly wider majority than it was, since we are no longer required to give Joe Manchin the time of day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
God drat it. Iowa didn't go all bad but Steve King still exists and we kept our republican governor.

Who the gently caress were all the people that split their ticket and voted Democrat for the house but Republican for governor?

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Hubbell kinda sucked.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Hubbell kinda sucked.

Yeah, there were way better options in the primary. But Reynolds is garbage. And republicans now retain the governorship and both chambers of the statehouse so I guess that means Iowa does want to go all in on medicare privatization and destroying unions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

It's fun watching 4chan lose its poo poo

lmao

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Who are the funniest flips
Walker is out
Rohrbacher is out
Walker out lol
Kobach out
What happened to mr steam games?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

alnilam posted:

Who are the funniest flips
Walker is out
Rohrbacher is out
Walker out lol
Kobach out
What happened to mr steam games?

Indicted Republican Duncan Hunter won his election.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, there were way better options in the primary. But Reynolds is garbage. And republicans now retain the governorship and both chambers of the statehouse so I guess that means Iowa does want to go all in on medicare privatization and destroying unions.

Iowans are going turbo racist and deathcult.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It rules that iowa elected the bastard child of Palin and brownback

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

Iowans are going turbo racist and deathcult.

It's a microcosm of the country. Dems won almost everywhere there are actually people and then the counties bordering the Missouri are full on Trump country. To bad we can't just cede them to Nebraska and South Dakota.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
Can congress do something about gerrymandering? I mean senate seems to be mainly republican because of that stupid practice. (based on that picture floating around reddit that claims 9m more people voted dem than rep.)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Senators are statewide gerrymandering does not affect them

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The senate is not exactly gerrymandered per se bc it's based on states and not districts that are redrawn to maximize votes, but it's still a hosed up institution that empowers land over people

I don't know if anything could be "done" about it without abolishing the senate or giving states senators based on population, both would be a major rewrite of the constitution

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

alnilam posted:

The senate is not exactly gerrymandered per se bc it's based on states and not districts that are redrawn to maximize votes, but it's still a hosed up institution that empowers land over people

I don't know if anything could be "done" about it without abolishing the senate or giving states senators based on population, both would be a major rewrite of the constitution

I think the Constitution explicitly doesn't allow you to change the Senate structure

Need to add more states

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah gerrymandering is a convoluted system to create conditions that are built into the stupid loving Senate by design lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thoguh posted:

It's a microcosm of the country. Dems won almost everywhere there are actually people and then the counties bordering the Missouri are full on Trump country. To bad we can't just cede them to Nebraska and South Dakota.

My county went red for the first time since the 90z lol. They even went for clinton.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

sajobi posted:

Can congress do something about gerrymandering? I mean senate seems to be mainly republican because of that stupid practice. (based on that picture floating around reddit that claims 9m more people voted dem than rep.)

That pic is represented nationally, it does not break into how many more people showed up to what state. The take away from the pic of 9m more voters is that even with "increased" turn out, there was a loss so we all have to wait for the numbers to get broke down.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

brugroffil posted:

I think the Constitution explicitly doesn't allow you to change the Senate structure

Need to add more states

Puerto Rico? That isnt a state right? Even tho it has bigger population that some states.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sajobi posted:

Puerto Rico? That isnt a state right? Even tho it has bigger population that some states.

DC and PR statehood

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thoguh posted:

gently caress you nobody in Nebraska wants any part of Iowa. Pawn that reeking wasteland off on goddamn Minnesota.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Good Morning C-SPAM!

Who are we voting for today?!

Sike! Just kidding! I'M WITH HER!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

went to bed thinking walker won

today is a good day

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
On one hand it sucks to have another republican senator, on the other go gently caress yourself Mccaskill. She is just about the epitome of a democrat who tries her damndest to look like a republican. In the last few weeks all her ads have been about how she loves Trump, isn't one of "those crazy democrats," and that she has a burning hatred for immigrants.

When the gently caress are democrats going to learn that republicans aren't going to vote for them?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah there are good and bad things about Bad Dems losing in the senate. In the short term it might be worse than it is better but in the longer term hopefully it will send a message to bad dems which is good

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Good? Bad? *spits* I'm the guy with the Dem

Serf
May 5, 2011

hopefully the loss of the blue dogs signals to the democrats that diet republicanism is not a winning strategy

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sylink posted:

Senators are statewide gerrymandering does not affect them

Senators are living gerrymanders

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is there an effortpost anywhere of the wins and losses with accompanying C-SPAM commentary?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

hopefully the loss of the blue dogs signals to the democrats that diet republicanism is not a winning strategy

"Hmnnnn. Need that full fat poo poo"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't think I really hold out much hope. Democrats are experts at looking at obvious changing historical trends and going "nah, let's keep doing what we're doing."

gently caress me, we're gonna have 8 years of trump. Lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Is there an effortpost anywhere of the wins and losses with accompanying C-SPAM commentary?

gently caress that I'mma need a gif of all of us freaking out when the 538 live tracker bugged out

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Impressive assumption that Jr, who won't be in jail, won't run immediately after

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't think I really hold out much hope. Democrats are experts at looking at obvious changing historical trends and going "nah, let's keep doing what we're doing."

I think you mean 16 years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress that I'mma need a gif of all of us freaking out when the 538 live tracker bugged out

it was terrible

I felt so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schumer resign bitch