Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can’t afford red meat at it’s current prices anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bowmore posted:

that sounds fine to me

Out of curiousity, are you a vegetarian?

As someone who mostly cooks vegetarian these days an additional tax doesn't bother me personally too much. However, I already know it'd be yet another thing of The Culture Wars, with people getting bent out of shape about how "unAustralian" it is, and suddenly everyone bandying about the story of the impoverished pensioner who can't afford their nice Sunday dinner.

Edit: Plus the already existing and very real issue of food insecurity amongst the poor.

froglet fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 7, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bowmore posted:

that sounds fine to me

bowmore posted:

I can’t afford red meat at it’s current prices anyway

Yes, and let's make the diets of the poor or not well off worse with putting a massive tax on a regularly consumed food product.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Yes, and let's make the diets of the poor or not well off worse with putting a massive tax on a regularly consumed food product.

The insane demand that climate change only be addressed without damaging anybody's (short-to-medium-term) quality of life is best left to insane conservatives.

Obviously the rich are far more responsible for climate change than the poor and should pay more but meat consumption is one area where CEOs are not eating hundreds of times more meat than average people.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

*can't afford meat any more, exists on Hungry Man dinners & hot pockets*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GoldStandardConure posted:

*can't afford meat any more, exists on Hungry Man dinners & hot pockets*

"Damnit my tooth fell out"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Back to Attenborough chat, he's terrible at speaking radically of the environment because he's a Malthusian racist who really thinks the solution is to simply purge the planet of undesirables but he's not allowed to say that anymore.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

"Damnit my tooth fell out"

YOU WIN THIS ROUND, SCURVY

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Wish they’d put a tax on your loving posting

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Back to Attenborough chat, he's terrible at speaking radically of the environment because he's a Malthusian racist who really thinks the solution is to simply purge the planet of undesirables but he's not allowed to say that anymore.

gently caress is there anyone who isn't a gigantic piece of poo poo?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i mean, his opinions may have changed in the...40? years since the Ethiopian famine.

fake edit: 33 years.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

froglet posted:

As someone who mostly cooks vegetarian these days an additional tax doesn't bother me personally too much. However, I already know it'd be yet another thing of The Culture Wars, with people getting bent out of shape about how "unAustralian" it is, and suddenly everyone bandying about the story of the impoverished pensioner who can't afford their nice Sunday dinner.

Edit: Plus the already existing and very real issue of food insecurity amongst the poor.

I don't even know if it's a culture wars thing, some people just can't fathom a life without meat. They can't even wrap their head around eating LESS meat. I'm in an environmental group that talks with other groups in the area and we talked to one of the heads about having vegetarian bbq's instead of meat to encourage more sustainable eating and she loving lost it. This, despite the fact that she's a greenie leftie.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Ethiopia: 1,104,300 km2 
United kingdom: 242,495 km2 

Population (2007)

Ethiopia: 73,750,932
United kingdom: 66,040,229

:itwaspoo:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

i mean, his opinions may have changed in the...40? years since the Ethiopian famine.

he still bangs on about population growth and too many people on the planet these days

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The insane demand that climate change only be addressed without damaging anybody's (short-to-medium-term) quality of life is best left to insane conservatives.

Obviously the rich are far more responsible for climate change than the poor and should pay more but meat consumption is one area where CEOs are not eating hundreds of times more meat than average people.

The worst thing is that 30 years ago you could have averted catastrophe with a few relatively minor changes. Sustained over the long term people would not have been too bothered by it.

But nope, it didn't happen and now the question is do we want to party while the ship sinks, or do we enact policy that will almost certainly force our most vulnerable people to suffer for a collective good?

I kinda wonder if a reluctance to go through with these kind of proposal is a double whammy of protecting the privileged and racism.

Like, passing on some of the related externalities associated with things like meat and petrol raises a lot of really uncomfortable questions about how our society has been set up, and I don't think there's any palatable (har har) answer that isn't "eat the rich (coz it'd be tax free)".

There's also the unfortunate point that protecting your own poor people in this manner inadvertantly comes at the cost of protecting the global poor. Not to play the Oppression Olympics, but there are people out there who are objectively worse off than most of Australia's poor, and climate change is going to make their poo poo situation even shittier.

To clarify: I'm not a proponent of being lovely to the poor here. Just that maintaining the status quo due to a policy of "don't be poo poo to Australia's poor" implies we're comfortable with doing nothing for the global poor while also sheltering the rich folks from real anger at the injustice built into our society.

Edit: We can do things that are both not too lovely to the poor while also addressing climate change but apparently that's too much like communism. :ssh:

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 7, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Someone call CPS please, I’m pretty sure it’s not legal to whip your children and execute them when they aren’t able to work

Little late to horse chat, but if you're criticising the treatment of racehorses (or greyhounds, for that matter), the incidence of EIPH is worse than the euthanasia. While a broken shoulder for a human is painful and can take a while to heal, a broken shoulder for a horse is generally more akin to an injury incompatible to life. If they've got a minor fracture they may be able to perform surgery maybe, but for an actual break or major or multiple fractures, there isn't really anything they can do. I'm not arguing racing good, and it absolutely sucks that Cliffs died, but given the injury he had, euthanasia was almost certainly the most humane option.

Yes I was a horse girl, why do you ask?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I’d watch the world burn before giving up meat for tea, sorry lads.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

norp posted:

Ethiopia: 1,104,300 km2 
United kingdom: 242,495 km2 

Population (2007)

Ethiopia: 73,750,932
United kingdom: 66,040,229

:itwaspoo:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

thatbastardken posted:

Sure, but those quotes are from only 5 years ago. So :shrug:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-attenborough-says-sending-food-to-famine-ridden-countries-is-barmy-8823602.html

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

GoldStandardConure posted:

he still bangs on about population growth and too many people on the planet these days

Haha, I remember Prince Willy espousing that too many Africans poo poo at the Obama foundation a couple years ago, right before announcing he was having a loving princess

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 7, 2018

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

froglet posted:

The worst thing is that 30 years ago you could have averted catastrophe with a few relatively minor changes. Sustained over the long term people would not have been too bothered by it.

But nope, it didn't happen and now the question is do we want to party while the ship sinks, or do we enact policy that will almost certainly force our most vulnerable people to suffer for a collective good?

I kinda wonder if a reluctance to go through with these kind of proposal is a double whammy of protecting the privileged and racism.

Like, passing on some of the related externalities associated with things like meat and petrol raises a lot of really uncomfortable questions about how our society has been set up, and I don't think there's any palatable (har har) answer that isn't "eat the rich (coz it'd be tax free)".

There's also the unfortunate point that protecting your own poor people in this manner inadvertantly comes at the cost of protecting the global poor. Not to play the Oppression Olympics, but there are people out there who are objectively worse off than most of Australia's poor, and climate change is going to make their poo poo situation even shittier.

To clarify: I'm not a proponent of being lovely to the poor here. Just that maintaining the status quo due to a policy of "don't be poo poo to Australia's poor" implies we're comfortable with doing nothing for the global poor while also sheltering the rich folks from real anger at the injustice built into our society.

Edit: We can do things that are both not too lovely to the poor while also addressing climate change but apparently that's too much like communism. :ssh:

A lot of necessary climate change policy is going to inevitably harm the poor and vulnerable, or appear to do so, simply by virtue of being a huge investment of resources for no direct benefit to anyone (obviously staving off apocalyptic climate change is a benefit, but when this is only observable as 'horrible climate related disasters continue to occur, but less so than if we didn't do anything' nobody will be happy with this achievement within our lifetimes).

I think accepting this shift in thinking is one of the largest problems - this may be the fault of the capitalist system's need for constant growth to sustain itself, but every class has absorbed this, not just oligarchs - a homeless person is unlikely to care about a policy that does not directly improve his life regardless of its necessity, like most climate policy.

Similarly, if you force a coal mine to close, you may face the most resistance from mining companies and tory politicians, but the lives of the coal miners are always going to be much more badly affected than company executives.

All these things still need to be done, and stuff that looks like communism is necessary both to buffer the vulnerable from the worst effects and make these policies electorally palatable to them, but you would have a case for a lot of those communist-seeming things even if climate change was not a problem.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Arable land (hectares per person)
Ethiopia = 0.160
United Kingdom = 0.098

"too many people for too little piece of land"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm pretty sure Planet Earth 2 was fairly reasonable. Showing baby turtles getting crushed by cars and animal stomachs full of plastic and him basically saying adopt those cool nature buildings like in Singapore or suffer the consequences.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Anidav posted:

I'm pretty sure Planet Earth 2 was fairly reasonable. Showing baby turtles getting crushed by cars and animal stomachs full of plastic and him basically saying adopt those cool nature buildings like in Singapore or suffer the consequences.

I too saw that Singapore tourism ad masquerading as an episode of a documentary. Are we really meant to believe Singapore is some environmental giant because they got some trees planted in places?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

froglet posted:

Replacing structural issues for industry by moral issues for consumers is a splendid tactic, isn't it. If only we had some kind of clean energy generation thing.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Craig Kelly replacing Ross Cameron on outsiders. loving lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

teacup posted:

I too saw that Singapore tourism ad masquerading as an episode of a documentary. Are we really meant to believe Singapore is some environmental giant because they got some trees planted in places?

Maybe?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sparticle posted:

Arable land (hectares per person)
Ethiopia = 0.160
United Kingdom = 0.098

"too many people for too little piece of land"

Did you miss that the conversation started about a national drought.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Our current society is unlikely to survive the adaptations or impacts to climate change.
We can accept and direct it, or ignore it and burn.

At a working level. Climate adaptation is continuing apace while our leaders and ceos are taking the latter approach.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

froglet posted:

Naming and shaming appeals to our inner bloodthirsty vulture, but I think we should prioritise preventing bad directors from getting away with ripping off others.

There's been plenty of cases - particularly in industries like construction - where owners wind up the business, not pay anyone's super, then open up again a month later under a different name. Stopping those people should be enough.

Though I dunno, maybe? If they keep changing their name or have a bunch of associates or aliases?

did you not read the bit about the director ID number?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Am I mishearing this? ScoMo to announce $2 plan to assist Pacific island nations in a regional development scheme?

That sounds warm and neighbourly.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Am I mishearing this? ScoMo to announce $2 plan to assist Pacific island nations in a regional development scheme?

He wants to give the middle finger to China and try to create his own miniature belt and road with Japan which surely won't piss off China further.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tony Abbott and conservative MPs campaign to take back control of Liberal party

quote:

Special report: Fundraisers and panels aim to convince conservatives to wrest control and potentially reinstall former PM as leader

Do it do it do it burn it all down do iiiiiiiiiiit!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Man, say what you want about Tone, but the motherfucker just never, ever gives up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Man, say what you want about Tone, but the motherfucker just never, ever gives up.

Principal Skinner chasing Bart through water rapids. But it's Turnbull and Abbott.gif

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh the China thing was real. Cool.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

froglet posted:

No, I just can't afford meat most of the time (when someone isn't paying for hello fresh for me)

You Am I posted:

most of the poor or not well off don't eat meat, or probably shouldn't be spending money on sub-par meat

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

These morons.

quote:

Themes at these talks are the myth of the climate change crisis, the rise of the left agenda and the need to make Australia secure.

Kelly delivered a full-throated critique of the left’s myths of climate change and a defence of the fossil fuel industry, a tape obtained by the Guardian shows.

Kelly told his audience that “30 years ago, the temperature was the same globally about where it was today”, even though the Bureau of Meteorology and other international agencies estimate the planet has already warmed more than 1C in the past century.

He also claimed that fossil fuels have made us safer from the climate, which he says has always been dangerous.

We really need to start treating people who don’t “believe” in climate change the same way that you would treat someone who said that they don’t believe in gravity. Like an ignorant anti-science lunatic.

You can choose not to believe in gravity if you like, but it exists and you’re still going to feel the effects of it. Same with climate change. It’s not a religion, it’s not about believing or not believing. It’s a scientific fact.

I just hate that there is so little pushback on the idea of climate change needing to be something you “believe” in. I often consider how much this situation must parallel the days when Copernicus started saying that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa. It seems reasonable back then that people would originally not believe because of how strongly influenced society was by religion and how little general scientific knowledge existed in society. It seems incredible to me that over 500 years later we could possibly end up back in a position where belief and scientific fact are in conflict.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

I choose to believe that price tag isn't a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Tony Abbott and like-minded conservatives are in the midst of a concerted push to claim back the heart and soul of the Liberal party and potentially reinstall him as leader...

:getin: Do it you crazy fuckers.

quote:

...should the party find itself in opposition after next year’s federal election.

Oh, dang.