Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:siren: VICPOL UPDATE: :siren:

Another month, another poo poo show from our 45th Federal Parliament of Australia. Let's see the players, and whether any of them will last the month:

Liberal Party: The main partner in the Liberal-Nationals Coalition that's running the daily mess of the government. Scott Morrison accidentally became Prime Minister when he didn't challenge Malcolm Turnbull for leadership, it wasn't his fault, fair dinkum. So far ScoMo has become a bit of a Tony Abbott-lite, being a bit of a Bible basher as well as making Captain Calls like moving the Australian Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Of course his own popularity and the popularity of the party have taken a huge hit as no one other than the right wing media is liking this.

The Nationals: The party for the country folk racist right wing climate denying homophobic coal mining loving nut jobs. Lead by *checks Wikipedia* oh, it's still Michael McCormack. I thought Barnaby was going to be leader again. Well there you go. Hopefully this party is wiped out soon, as their views on climate run absolutely against scientific proof and common sense, and with droughts wiping out farms across most of Australia, surely farmers have got to realise this party doesn't have their interests. Unless they have a huge reserve of coal under their paddocks.

The Labor Party: Not the Labour Party, cos the people who started this party thought that the American spelling was more fancy. The main opposition in Parliament, lead by Bill Shorten, who spends most of his time being a small target so hopefully the media won't attack him and go for ScoMo instead. The party of the people, as long as you are a left leaning lawyer or from uni student politics. Got a great chance of winning the next election, but there's always the chance that they'll screw something up and either just scrape in or lose it.

The Greens: The slight far centre left party, lead by fence sitter Richard Di Natale. A party that should be absolutely making the most of the chaos in this Parliament, but gets screwed over by its own members whenever it gets a chance to get ahead (look at the last round of by elections, especially in Victoria). It's a progressive party, well it should be but holy poo poo this party can self inflict wounds better than what Labor can. Also doesn't help that most commercial media and ABC completely ignores it.

Pauline Hanson's Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Mutter Party: A horrible Queensland right wing party lead by equally horrible right wing Queenslander Pauline Hanson. You know that great-uncle who loves the White Australian Policy, wants National Service brought back and the non-whites kicked out of the country? Well that's those views made into a party. It seemed for a little while in 2016 that PHON actually may be alive again and ready to take over states like WA, but thanks to infighting, dual citizen issues and Pauline's massive ego, the party is pretty much dead again. However we have this party to thank for loving awful (read: Queensland) people like Fraser Anning and Malcolm Roberts.

And the real leader of Australia: Rupert Murdoch. Ruler of the right wing media in Australia, Murdoch has been king maker for Australia since Whitlam's days. However it looks like the old fart's media is losing their grip on most Australian's political views, with most polls going against the view him and his band of racist journalists want Australia to go. Hopefully the next Federal Election will kill off the influence that News Corpse has over media and politics.

Other Politics stuff: This month also has the Victorian State Election happening on the 24th. Four more years for Dandrews. Praise for Dandrews. Dandrews all knowing, all level crossing removing.

Keep up with your regular David Pope political cartoon updates here: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/david-pope-20120214-1t3j0.html

You Am I fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

First

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Spill

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Voted 5 for Pope-P

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Voted 5 for Pope-P

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:toxx: Vic ALP smashes election

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

safest toxx ever

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

November all

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hambeet posted:

:toxx: Vic ALP smashes election

Very well

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Queensland

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pauline Hanson, Queensland's Alf Garnett.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
strong

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:auspol:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I'm not toxxing but I'll reiterate my prediction from the last thread that Vic ALP will retain government in their own right, and pick up a seat or two.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
billshortenyeshahahayes.jpg on many fronts this month

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/alexhart7/status/1058099366903181312

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Voted 5 for Pope-P

pOPe

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:eyepop:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Stay classy Tele

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

adamantium|wang posted:

Stay classy Tele

How is learning about woomera throwing sticks and the effect that technology has on velocity a bad idea? We learned about that at school in 1995.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh so he did issue an apology. cool.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

How is learning about woomera throwing sticks and the effect that technology has on velocity a bad idea? We learned about that at school in 1995.

It's because they're racist, op

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats a good op

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Of the amount of poo poo clowns like Abbott try to push through, "Western civilisation are the only ones who ever invented anything" is one of the most offensive

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

To quote my mate from high school "yeah oval office well we invented fireworks and yum cha"

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Of the amount of poo poo clowns like Abbott try to push through, "Western civilisation are the only ones who ever invented anything" is one of the most offensive

I'm legit angry about the lack of meaningful education about aboriginal history I got growing up. Not sure if it's any better these days but it was woeful in the 90s. But it means that a lot of folk in my generation are completely ignorant about the true history of aboriginal people, their accomplishments, their science, agriculture, etc etc etc.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

I'm legit angry about the lack of meaningful education about aboriginal history I got growing up. Not sure if it's any better these days but it was woeful in the 90s. But it means that a lot of folk in my generation are completely ignorant about the true history of aboriginal people, their accomplishments, their science, agriculture, etc etc etc.

It makes me sound like a crazy home schooler but I'll be absolutely trying to plug gaps in my girls' education at home if they don't cover this kind of poo poo.

Hopefully I won't have to in ten years time or so.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

The Before Times posted:

All we learned was about Are Diggers. Sigh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

They didn't build structures and therefore did nothing. That's the take for any culture whitey encounters.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

They didn't build structures and therefore did nothing. That's the take for any culture whitey encounters.

But that's the thing that makes me even angrier, because 'they didn't build anything' line is a lie.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So it's customary for a new government to throw a royal commission, I'd like to suggest that the Shorten government select a Royal Commission into Media Bias.

You can sell it as a non-partisan inquiry into bias by all media organisations, including the ABC. Appoint an independent justice, and just let reality handle the rest.

Recommendations: Grant the ACMA new powers in line with the ROC to fine and deregister media organisations for impropriety, bias or rampant disinformation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They made giant stone dongs to catch fish

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought for sure Living National Treasure D. POPE was at least an AM, but nope, never won a gong. What an outrage!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

But that's the thing that makes me even angrier, because 'they didn't build anything' line is a lie.

They didn't build opulent permanent stuff is what I mean. That means nothing through whitey lens.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

And if another culture did, then ~~aliens built it~~

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's some indigenous education:

quote:

Aboriginal Australians use the stars to navigate across the continent. Thesis accomplished in many ways, including following particular stars or developing maps of the stars that correlate to landscape features.

The concept of cardinal directions is common amongst Aboriginal language groups in Australia. The Warlpiri people in central Australia are especially prominent in this respect, as much of their culture is based on the four cardinal directions that correspond closely to the four cardinal points (North, South, East, West) of modern Western culture. In the Warlpiri culture, north corresponds to “law”, south to “ceremony”, west to “language”, and east to “skin”. “Country” lies at the intersection of these directions, at the centre of the compass – i.e. “here”.

I heard about this on the radio a while ago and it blew my mind. Arranging "constellations" to match the routes. Routes that eventually would be used as main roads by whitey in Queensland. Stick that in your curriculum.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my people invented the goat

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Katter won't refer anyone to high court

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Stay classy Tele

Every year it's the same bullshit outrage. This has been in the Australian Curriculum for years and they are still acting like this is some new PC agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Blows my mind that Tony abbott is said to actually care about aboriginal people. This is him trying to help :psyduck: