Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I really don't know how to feel about any of this. Does having the house at least provide some check against the death cult? Are we marginally less hosed than before? Or are we full on hosed still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Holy poo poo, they’re projecting Joe Cunningham to have defeated crazy Trumper Katie Arrington in SC 1. First Dem elected to to Congress from there since the early 80’s!

I think 538 had his winning chance at 1 in 7.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lee Zeldin (R) beat Perry Gershon handily in NY District 1. That's what Democrats get when they allow a rich carpetbagging piece of poo poo with no charisma, basically come in and buy the primary from everybody by out spending everyone else and taking money from huge donors. Zeldin is a gigantic piece of poo poo, voted to repeal Obamacare countless times, doesn't give a gently caress about Women's Healthcare, and basically follows whatever Trump wants.

The amount of voter suppression that happened throughout the United States was loving despicable. God only knows how people were discouraged or ineligible to vote because they were purged from voter rolls, or there were only a few working machines in at the voting Precinct, leading to huge lines. Literally the only way that Republicans can win is by gerrymandering, and suppressing the vote. loving despicable. The new Democrats in the house need to elect somebody with a backbone to be speaker, so that they can investigate and subpoena any rear end in a top hat involved in voter suppression.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I really don't know how to feel about any of this. Does having the house at least provide some check against the death cult? Are we marginally less hosed than before? Or are we full on hosed still?

Committees within the House of Representatives, at least, will flip from the GOP, once they're no longer the majority party in the House. The new chairperson and majority of members in each committee will be democrats. If the dems actually follow through on their campaign promises, expect to see a whole bunch of Trump administration minions getting subpoenaed to suss out their various crimes. This will be particularly entertaining because republicans made the House Oversight Committee significantly more powerful when President Obama was still in office, to better hammer his administration.

Probably going to see subpoenas for Trump's tax returns, finally.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Committees within the House of Representatives, at least, will flip from the GOP, once they're no longer the majority party in the House. The new chairperson and majority of members in each committee will be democrats. If the dems actually follow through on their campaign promises, expect to see a whole bunch of Trump administration minions getting subpoenaed to suss out their various crimes. This will be particularly entertaining because republicans made the House Oversight Committee significantly more powerful when President Obama was still in office, to better hammer his administration.

Probably going to see subpoenas for Trump's tax returns, finally.

Not to mention the GOP congressional agenda is dead. No more budget reconciliation to pass through bullshit like tax cuts or slashing the ACA.

The downside is that they can still appoint all of the conservative justices they want until at least 2020 (when they're facing a much more competitive Senate landscape).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

psydude posted:

Not to mention the GOP congressional agenda is dead. No more budget reconciliation to pass through bullshit like tax cuts or slashing the ACA.

The downside is that they can still appoint all of the conservative justices they want until at least 2020 (when they're facing a much more competitive Senate landscape).

It can't be overstated how good that part is. No more alley-ooping lovely legislation onto the president's desk for signing within the week is a big change all it's own.

Schiff (Intelligence), Cummings (Oversight), and Waters (Financial Services) becoming chairs of their committees is going to make some serious poo poo happen. Unless Pelosi tries to take a big ol' poo poo all over a partially hostile caucus by shuffling those committee rosters anything she says about not investigating the trump admin/campaign/business is about as bankable as a three dollar bill.

Waters being in charge of financial services is something I am especially looking forward to.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

FAUXTON posted:

It can't be overstated how good that part is.

It was pretty nice waking up in england and seeing this, seems the democrats went pretty much down the line of what was expected and were close as hell to more.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dude shut up and color you’re out of your element on this one.

I was stating a loving fact, Kemp stole the election, Republicans are going to take it as a green light to do it elsewhere. Acting like it’s because someone once said a mean thing about it a gun is so blindered and tone deaf that the only appropriate response is bemused mockery.

Your obsession with “owning” me via posting is getting weird at this point.

Anyone living in Georgia that didn't vote for Abrams because of her gun control stance wasn't going to vote for her anyway.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
well im glad the dems took the house but pelosi needs to gently caress off

and voter suppression is going to be 10x worse come 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The changes in the senate seem confusing. Did dems overall lose seats? Or did some lose and some gain, keeping the number the same? If it’s the former that kind of stinks because I guess the senate can pass whatever they want then.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

The changes in the senate seem confusing. Did dems overall lose seats? Or did some lose and some gain, keeping the number the same? If it’s the former that kind of stinks because I guess the senate can pass whatever they want then.

Republicans picked up seats in the Senate. Legislation still has to go through the House which the Dems now control, but they can push through appointments with less noise now.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060056007316045825?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060058718937800704?s=19

Magic trumo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Republicans picked up seats in the Senate. Legislation still has to go through the House which the Dems now control, but they can push through appointments with less noise now.

This allows for some horse trading there now though right? ie, couple votes for a GOP friendly bill if they bounce a chud judge out of a nomination etc yeah?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Blind Rasputin posted:

Collins and Murkowski don't matter any more because the GOP has at least 50 lockstep seats to nominate anyone they want with no fuss.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

This allows for some horse trading there now though right? ie, couple votes for a GOP friendly bill if they bounce a chud judge out of a nomination etc yeah?

Or Schumer trades away a bunch of judges for nothing again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think it's a net of at least 4 for the GOP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FAUXTON posted:

I think it's a net of at least 4 for the GOP.

I think it's a net of 3 confirmed gains for now, with Republicans having very small leads in two other senate races.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Holy poo poo Rohrbacher got the boot! That guy was a piece of poo poo, even for being a Republican, so I am seriously overjoyed he got voted out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
D&D and C-SPAM are still looking for any reason they can to convince themselves All Is Lost.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

D&D and C-SPAM are still looking for any reason they can to convince themselves All Is Lost.

It's not as if this is somehow surprising. Republicans were the favorites to keep the Senate, Democrats the favorites to win the House. Of course, losing Florida hurts. But a Democrat will be the next Kansas governor, so there are some things to balance it out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Florida legalized felon votes, which means black people who did time for a gram of weed can vote again.

So the 2020 election may be a different story in Florida.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or Schumer trades away a bunch of judges for nothing again.

:smith:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1060137101914750977?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Too bad about Texas, I was fully prepared to compliment their traffic levels.

On the other hand EAT poo poo AND DIE WALKER YOU UNION BUSTING gently caress

Keith Ellison won the MN AG, Tim Waltz is our new Governor, Dean Phillips knocked Erik Paulson out of the box and Hutch is the first gay Hennepin County sheriff.

Today is a good day for Minnesota. :3:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-0lDKsXMb8

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My former district may have punted Karen Handel out, which is great gently caress that bitch and her lovely jokes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They're looking for any reason to validate apathy. Oh, they're gonna rig it by suppressing the vote even harder next time, oh they'll double down on racism and turn out the chuds even more, etc. The endpoint is "don't vote, nothing matters."

Neither of those things are new and North Carolina is an example of how the only way to break those shackles is to keep hammering away election after election with maximum effort every time, while Florida's restoration of voting rights to former felons is an opportunistic win. That poo poo matters a whole hell of a lot to people who constantly get roadblocks thrown up in front of them, but C-Spam's faux-nihilist regulars by and large are insulated entirely by race, wealth, and/or geography from the everyday abuses of the everyday conservative in power. They're just yelling into the void because it's the only way to feel engaged with the broader struggles taking place where they'd never even think to look, let alone visit, much less live.

If the DOJ started raiding their dispensaries poo poo would get real matterful real fast, but otherwise stuff like Kemp handicapping his own election is just a spectator sport for them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

They forgot to add “good riddance.”

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

They're looking for any reason to validate apathy. Oh, they're gonna rig it by suppressing the vote even harder next time, oh they'll double down on racism and turn out the chuds even more, etc. The endpoint is "don't vote, nothing matters."

Neither of those things are new and North Carolina is an example of how the only way to break those shackles is to keep hammering away election after election with maximum effort every time, while Florida's restoration of voting rights to former felons is an opportunistic win. That poo poo matters a whole hell of a lot to people who constantly get roadblocks thrown up in front of them, but C-Spam's faux-nihilist regulars by and large are insulated entirely by race, wealth, and/or geography from the everyday abuses of the everyday conservative in power. They're just yelling into the void because it's the only way to feel engaged with the broader struggles taking place where they'd never even think to look, let alone visit, much less live.

If the DOJ started raiding their dispensaries poo poo would get real matterful real fast, but otherwise stuff like Kemp handicapping his own election is just a spectator sport for them.

Well they are going to do more suppression and racism but that just means vote harder imo

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Also

https://twitter.com/mcopelov/status...ingawful.com%2F

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Well they are going to do more suppression and racism but that just means vote harder imo

That's kind of all they have, to be honest. It kind of sucks because despite all that, it's still just going to be a television show for a lot of people who will insist nothing matters until they get hurt, never mind that they're so insulated that they'll only get hit after it's way too late. If you aren't being touched by anything until everything is already lost, of course you'd want to believe nothing matters so you don't have to do anything to help others.

There were senate elections in three of the most populous states in the country and one of them was California where it was between two Democrats so of course you're gonna have the numbers thrown off by quite a bit.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 7, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The popular vote for the Senate is kind of arbitrary though because every state gets two senators. So Wyoming, which has a population of 580k people total, has the same number of senators as California, a state with a population almost 80 times that.

e: Washington DC has a bigger population than Wyoming and they don't even get a vote in Congress despite paying taxes.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Its cool that a few million people in the middle of no where have as much/more power in the senate than the rest of the country

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Its cool that a few million people in the middle of no where have as much/more power in the senate than the rest of the country

You can blame Connecticut for that.

e: and Delaware I suppose

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

psydude posted:

You can blame Connecticut for that.

e: and Delaware I suppose

I can and do.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Proud of my adoptive state, good job Colorado.

Maybe when Wyoming legalizes weed I'll move north and help skew national politics on an incrementally insignificant scale.

E: a proposition capping payday lending at 36% passed by a huge margin here, which is good because the average apr was 129% recently.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 7, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Lmao

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

psydude posted:

The popular vote for the Senate is kind of arbitrary though because every state gets two senators. So Wyoming, which has a population of 580k people total, has the same number of senators as California, a state with a population almost 80 times that.

e: Washington DC has a bigger population than Wyoming and they don't even get a vote in Congress despite paying taxes.

Thanks for pointing out why we should abolish the Senate. Also why DC should be a state.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Thanks for pointing out why we should abolish the Senate. Also why DC should be a state.

You're saying this as if I don't agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Also going to own when that re-enfranchisement amendment just flat out isn’t implemented by the Florida GOP.