Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, gay artists coming out as bisexual makes them less scary to mainstream fans. Babby steps to announcing you're completely gay.

But I think Freddy Mercury probably went both ways. It was odd, my fairly conservative father reciting some story about Mercury after a concert having men in sailor outfits visit him in his dressing room. The fact he liked women too seemed to make it alright.

EDIT: that or my dad was thinking of coming out as bi himself. Poor dad. Never did get a chance to explore his love of the navy.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair, gay artists coming out as bisexual makes them less scary to mainstream fans. Babby steps to announcing you're completely gay.

But I think Freddy Mercury probably went both ways. It was odd, my fairly conservative father reciting some story about Mercury after a concert having men in sailor outfits visit him in his dressing room. The fact he liked women too seemed to make it alright.

EDIT: that or my dad was thinking of coming out as bi himself. Poor dad. Never did get a chance to explore his love of the navy.

He did, don't look too deep in his old storage locker

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zero One posted:

There is a good series on Youtube going through the history of Nickelodeon. Each episode is about a single show starting at the very beginning. He finally got to You Can't Do That On Television and spends a lot of time talking about some less than appropriate features: body shaming, Playboys, and... lots of boys being put in dresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl44gvb8b9E

The whole thing is good. The coverage of the problematic stuff really starts about 57 minutes in.

Roger Price is a goddamned maniac and it’s a small miracle there have never been any metoo allegations against him. He threatened poparena with a dcma takedown or a lawsuit before this episode even went up.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It’s fun to look back at the clip of Ken as Sid Snot and Freddie in full leatherboy drag and think ‘Oh those fine young men joking about’ :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpRkARK8Io

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I mean, he literally starts with "friends of Dorothy" so they weren't trying to hide it that hard.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

BrigadierSensible posted:

Mate, there were people in the 70s so repressed and fearful of homosexuality that they didn't realize that either of Freddie Mercury, or Liberace were gay.

Now I am not saying these people were the majority, but I am sure there were grandmas saying to their family "Don't you dare besmirch the name of that nice clean cut young man by calling him a sodomite! He just hasn't found the right girl is all."

I went to see the Liberace movie at a cheap mid-week screening, so the cinema was full of old people. A bunch of them walked out when the gay sex scene started. Like, what did you expect, really?

I think there’s a certain generation that grew up with camp, cuddly gay people on TV, so they think they’re pretty accepting. But actually show them two men kissing and ooooh boy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rob Halford is my favorite obviously gay musician who people thought was straight because he got homophobic metalheads to dress like leather daddies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've mentioned before in this thread that I'm kind of fascinated by how Liberace managed to become so hugely popular as he did. He sang very little, he wrote no or at least no notable original songs, he essentially went out in outlandish costumes and played classical piano with a few pop standards mixed in and that's what people were turning out or tuning in to see. Thanks to his Las Vegas residencies he was literally the highest paid entertainer in the world for most of his adult life.

I wonder if it's because he was one of the first musicians who really grasped the possibilities of television; in the late 50s, he had a local show in Los Angeles where he'd perform with his orchestra and tell corny stories between songs, then it was syndicated across the country and that's how he got huge. It's like how pro wrestling was right there at the dawn of television; it was cheap to produce but could draw massive ratings.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think what it was was the idea of homosexuality wasn't something the average person ever thought about back then so people could be a lot more obvious about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If Scooby-Doo guest stars are any indication, standards for entertainment in the early years of TV were amazingly low.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I will not hear any bad mouthing of the Harlem Globetrotters, sir!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If Scooby-Doo guest stars are any indication, standards for entertainment in the early years of TV were amazingly low.

https://youtu.be/yWG_R6SjUNY

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've mentioned before in this thread that I'm kind of fascinated by how Liberace managed to become so hugely popular as he did. He sang very little, he wrote no or at least no notable original songs, he essentially went out in outlandish costumes and played classical piano with a few pop standards mixed in and that's what people were turning out or tuning in to see. Thanks to his Las Vegas residencies he was literally the highest paid entertainer in the world for most of his adult life.

I wonder if it's because he was one of the first musicians who really grasped the possibilities of television; in the late 50s, he had a local show in Los Angeles where he'd perform with his orchestra and tell corny stories between songs, then it was syndicated across the country and that's how he got huge. It's like how pro wrestling was right there at the dawn of television; it was cheap to produce but could draw massive ratings.

I was going to mention Gorgeous George but you basically did near the end there. I’m not sure what it was about effeminate gay male stereotypes (who don’t say that they’re gay) that people went crazy for in the 20th century but they sure as hell did

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Krispy Wafer posted:

She's royal, they're full of blood borne illnesses, but I don't think HIV was one of them.

It's weird how many famous people had HIV. Just off the top of my head there are the obvious ones like Arthur Ashe, but then you had the less reported ones such as Issac Asimov and Denholm Elliott and the bad guy in AirBud. It really hollowed out a whole generation.
Oh, Denholm Elliott? Aww . . .

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was going to mention Gorgeous George but you basically did near the end there. I’m not sure what it was about effeminate gay male stereotypes (who don’t say that they’re gay) that people went crazy for in the 20th century but they sure as hell did

Gorgeous George was a bad guy. There was a manservant who sprayed perfume and George didn't like getting dirty. He bleached his hair.

Wrestling used this from at least the television era and probably a bit earlier: Pretty boy bad guys. Considering folks were clueless on Liberace, it's hard to say at that point if it were specifically gay overtones or just the thought of unmanliness. Long hair was enough to fit that category. Wrestling crowds have long leaned conservative and dressing like a hippie made you an automatic bad guy in the south in the 1970s.

That's not getting into the other stereotypes that wrestling really preyed on fans to hate and still does to a slightly lesser extent now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Being gay was still illegal in a lot of places. Most people probably didn’t know a publicly gay person. So you had macho straight people, regular straight people, and kind of feminine straight people.

Like when I was a kid I just assumed everyone was Christian. Atheists hadn’t become unbearably smug at that point so it’s wasn’t obvious who was going to Hell and who wasn’t. If you have a real simple world view it’s entirely possible to assume Liberace was just a sassy straight guy.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Before Stonewall is a good rear end documentary about this stuff and is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70PY1dR7efo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Whoever posted the Nick Knacks doc about You Can't Do That On Television, THANK YOU. It was very good. The stuff about Roger Price (the show's creator) being a creep was an eye opener. I also didn't remember how much of an rear end in a top hat they were to some of the girls on the show.

What is it about kids' shows creators and being creepy assholes?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Gorgeous George was a bad guy. There was a manservant who sprayed perfume and George didn't like getting dirty. He bleached his hair.

Wrestling used this from at least the television era and probably a bit earlier: Pretty boy bad guys. Considering folks were clueless on Liberace, it's hard to say at that point if it were specifically gay overtones or just the thought of unmanliness. Long hair was enough to fit that category. Wrestling crowds have long leaned conservative and dressing like a hippie made you an automatic bad guy in the south in the 1970s.

That's not getting into the other stereotypes that wrestling really preyed on fans to hate and still does to a slightly lesser extent now.

I’m not saying Gorgeous George wasn’t portrayed as a bad guy but he was undeniably one of the reasons a lot of people bought TVs in the first place. He was a huge draw

And wrestling does still use some gay stereotypes but the demographics of wrestling have shifted so far left that they’re almost immediate fan favorites if they can pull it off well, like Dalton Castle does, or how Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi are two of the best wrestlers in the world and in a tag team together called the Golden Lovers and the idea that they might be loving is barely even cared about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zneqc0ttY98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF59IZ3YvL8

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Nov 10, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how apparently Muhammed Ali based his early persona on Gorgeous George, figuring a tactic that's effective for psychology in a fake sport would work in a real one. Of course, basically just being black in the 60s made being a heel all too easy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how apparently Muhammed Ali based his early persona on Gorgeous George, figuring a tactic that's effective for psychology in a fake sport would work in a real one. Of course, basically just being black in the 60s made being a heel all too easy.

Nah. A lot of black fighters were insanely popular. Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Archie Moore, Floyd Patterson...Joe Frazier later on. Ali was hated for a lot of other reasons besides his race, although that certainly had a lot to do with it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah. A lot of black fighters were insanely popular. Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Archie Moore, Floyd Patterson...Joe Frazier later on. Ali was hated for a lot of other reasons besides his race, although that certainly had a lot to do with it.

He was Black, Muslim, and he refused to fight in the war. It’s surprising he ever became a beloved national treasure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of people supported those 1968 protests. Probably helped him more than harmed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BiggerBoat posted:

Ali wasn't hated by the parts of "white America" that hated him specifically because he was black, it was because he was an 'uppity' black person.

He was a black person that spoke out against the Vietnam war, against racism, and did so with a cleverness, wit, and articularity that was not expected from an athlete, let alone a black one, who was expected to shut up, keep his head down and be grateful that the white man wasn't lynching him.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of people supported those 1968 protests. Probably helped him more than harmed.

Sure, but it's not like boxing was a sport hippies and counter culture types liked. The audience for that sport ran in contrast to the ideals Muhammad Ali was fighting for. The fact he weathered that (especially considering his fighting skills had peaked while he was prohibited from boxing) had a lot to do with his personality. Any other fighter would have just wandered into obscurity.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Whoever posted the Nick Knacks doc about You Can't Do That On Television, THANK YOU. It was very good. The stuff about Roger Price (the show's creator) being a creep was an eye opener. I also didn't remember how much of an rear end in a top hat they were to some of the girls on the show.

I watched it too, it was very eye opening. Although, now that I've heard of her, I keep finding Pauline Quirke references in things I wouldn't have noticed before.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The episode of Iron Chef where Mario Battali battles John Besh.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They enjoy being in positions of power over children. Its not hard to figure out where the attraction is here.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm watching dog show reruns and I think they expect me to not notice one of the trainers is Patty Hearst.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

I'm watching dog show reruns and I think they expect me to not notice one of the trainers is Patty Hearst.

Is this too long for a thread title?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Since we're getting into some ad stuff, Nicktoons/Disney's "Doug" was (more or less) featured in Grapefruit Juice and USA Network promotions prior to the actual start of the cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2Vm7rOQW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IStrJaL1waE

(Just waiting for a few more years when we get the edgy "Doug From The Grave" reboot of the Dougverse that goes zombie and horror with everything.)

Hearing this makes me sad that the Afterlife With Archie comic died off..

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Mate, there were people in the 70s so repressed and fearful of homosexuality that they didn't realize that either of Freddie Mercury, or Liberace were gay.

“He prefers the company of men”

“Who doesn’t!?”

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So after Roseanne's final shitstorm I decided to run through the entire Roseanne run on Amazon streaming, half expecting it to get pulled out of rotation.

I had watched a decent amount of Roseanne episodes when they aired (Older goon - I was in high school when Roseanne debuted.), and caught a ton more in syndication in the mid-90's through early 2000s but really wasn't sure if there were any episodes that I hadn't seen. Was mostly hoping that there were, foolishly hoping that they would be from earlier seasons.

Things I learned:

There were in fact a few episodes that I hadn't seen. But if you think I was lucky enough to stumble onto some fresh new gem from season 3 or so - ha ha ha ha wrong. Every single episode that was new to me was from the dreaded season 9.

Season 9 is even worse than I remembered, and worse than people say. Jesus Christ. Also, the John Popper theme song is hot garbage.

Season 8 really isn't that much better. As much poo poo as season 9 gets, season 8 is a drat mess itself.

Always my favorite scene, and still is. Goodman and Matcalf were both really really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSpvvYXsYM

And in keeping with the theme of the thread:
Oof. Skip to 16:45 or so if the timestamp doesn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPBkpYF-GY
No, Dan. That's not really a cool way of requesting a song.

Tony Phillips has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Nov 30, 2018

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I remember there was a whole plotline in Roseanne where Roseanne loses self control and spanks DJ. She spends the rest of the story coping with it, eventually apologizing to him and saying it was completely unacceptable and she doesn't want to turn into her abusive father. It's real good.

Then in the revival she has a couple throwaway lines about how kids are soft because they don't get spanked enough. Really jarring.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I remember there was a whole plotline in Roseanne where Roseanne loses self control and spanks DJ. She spends the rest of the story coping with it, eventually apologizing to him and saying it was completely unacceptable and she doesn't want to turn into her abusive father. It's real good.

I really liked the preamble to that final scene:

"DJ, Do you wanna come and spoil your dinner?"
"No."
"Do you wanna watch me spoil mine?"
"Do I have to?"
"Yes"

It's a kind of silly leadup but with a lot of emotion behind it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I always liked when Dan beat up Jackie's abusive boyfriend.

The original Roseanne was so progressive that I couldn't believe Roseanne was a Trumper. John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf are treasures.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaunab posted:

The original Roseanne was so progressive that I couldn't believe Roseanne was a Trumper. John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf are treasures.

Yeah, it really was, it's a shame she had to go full racist and commit her good stuff to the dustbin

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Something I didn't know until looking it up during my recent re-watch:

Metcalf married the actor that played Fisher in 1993.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Gay or not" is all plausible deniability optics poo poo. It's like goddamn U S Senator Lindsey Graham. Everyone knows he's gay and it's "fine" as long as he never says so.

And a lot of you guys seem weirdly... ehhh I won't even get started. It's like you don't seem to understand that even things creators say are part of the entertainment property overall. When they said Smithers was "Burnssexual" that was a way to jokingly get out of saying he's gay because that's a news story and it violates *points to sentence at top of post*. But Smithers is loving gay, obviously, whether or not someone on the writing staff says so outright, because he's completely and unambiguously coded that way, and if they didn't want him to be perceived as "gay" they wouldn't have had him engage in activities intended to communicate that he is gay. 99% of clickbait now is weak "news stories" made of the second keygrip saying "I think Danaerys is a lesbian?" while stoned on a couch. They have to be cognizant of that poo poo because you--you!--are part of the public, and the perception of a property affects the saleability of a property. And it never stops applying because the property never stops having that dimension.

Pick has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ok but what about black Smithers?