Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Ugh, I did it and the smoke is sickly sweet. But it hit me like my first Malboro red when I was twelve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Ah gently caress I dropped it and it broke and now my house reeks of sweets and chemicals

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Peccadillo posted:

Those are so weird, in what kind of hosed judicial system can you sign away bringing consequences to someone who assaulted you.

Like most BDSM practices, it occupies something of a legal grey area. If it ever comes to court, the outcome will probably depend on the state and judge.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I finally saw Good Time. I can understand people being put off by the absurdity, or the griminess, but on the other hand I haven't been gripped by a movie like that in a while. It's also quite pretty.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What on earth was Amazon thinking with Suspiria's release schedule? Release a horror movie with a fairly substantial budget in 2 theaters before Halloween, then a couple hundred theaters the following week with little fanfare? I know the long-tail of streaming is their big bet, but unless they open to a large number of theaters this weekend the movie's going to have to pull a lot of Amazon viewers to make back that $18 million+marketing.

I guess maybe they were trying to avoid competing with the expected juggernaut of Halloween, but a wide release for a horror movie happening 2+ weeks after spooky season ends (if it doesn't just drop from theaters now) doesn't make any drat sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's got a smaller worldwide gross as of now than the 1977 original, without adjusting for inflation, which is pretty lol.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I was talking about suspira with a friend the other day and I mentioned it was odd how the psychologist was clearly a young guy wearing old man makeup, and she said "oh yeah, that was also Tilda Swinton" and I was genuinely a bit floored

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I loving love sitting in empty cinemas so tomorrow's opening day 10am screening of Suspiria is going to be fantastic for me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EAT poo poo SCOTT WALKER :woop:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Timby posted:

EAT poo poo SCOTT WALKER :woop:

Matt Christman's hangover just spontaneously got lifted away by singing angels

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It’s cool that Scott Walker and Kobach ate poo poo, it sucks that Cruz and Steve King didn’t, and none of it matters much because climate change will kill us all while Nancy Pelosi drones on about bipartisanship.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's pretty hard to keep up with American electoral politics, a literally dead pimp from Nevada just won a seat

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
What I love about the Kenneth Branagh Much Ado is how the whole movie exists to stroke Branagh's ego, and prove how charming and clever Branagh is, and then Denzel shows up and steals the whole movie out from under him by just smiling.

The Whedon Much Ado doesn't even seem like it should count as a real movie to me. Like, it's just playing around in his backyard. It's so lazy, and I'd forgive that laziness if not for the fact that people were expected to pay money for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It counts because he had the audacity to release it in theaters. If some high school drama class released their version of Much Ado in theaters, I'd judge it regardless of the conditions of filming. It deserves to get raked through the mud on its own (lack of) merits because Whedon actually thought it was good enough to put out into the world on the biggest possible stage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does the Democrats taking over the House mean we finally get to see Trump's tax returns?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

feedmyleg posted:

It counts because he had the audacity to release it in theaters. If some high school drama class released their version of Much Ado in theaters, I'd judge it regardless of the conditions of filming. It deserves to get raked through the mud on its own (lack of) merits because Whedon actually thought it was good enough to put out into the world on the biggest possible stage.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree. I walked out of the theater on that one going "That.... wasn't really a movie you go to theaters to watch. And yet, here I am in a movie theater." and I got angry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
(Swallows a ream of paper)

Wuh tas redduns?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does the Democrats taking over the House mean we finally get to see Trump's tax returns?

Accountability is dead.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Samuel Clemens posted:

Who gives a poo poo everyone knows and has always known he’s a tax cheat and general shady piece of poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I am pretty disappointed in Florida. It was such a close race.

We got a few good things through, but our education budgets are going to be hosed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Like two minutes after the Democrats are seated, they're going to launch about 50 investigations, so, quite probably.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Last night was merely an okay result for Dems and the fact that two years of outright fascism has only produced “okay” results for the main opposition means America is hosed, hosed, fuuuuucked.

Also Nancy Pelosi is a trash fire of a human being and the Dems will never accomplish anything decent while they continue to insist on her leadership.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 7, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress the green party. They got the 2% that would have pulled Synema through over McSally.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Detective No. 27 posted:

gently caress the green party. They got the 2% that would have pulled Synema through over McSally.

Blaming election losses on third parties is and always has been incredibly stupid, starting with the assumption that the 2% would've gone to Synema and ending with the fact that voter disenfranchisement and engagement are way bigger issues

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...I don't give a poo poo!!!!!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Blaming election losses on third parties is and always has been incredibly stupid, starting with the assumption that the 2% would've gone to Synema and ending with the fact that voter disenfranchisement and engagement are way bigger issues

:emptyquote:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Last night was merely an okay result for Dems and the fact that two years of outright fascism has only produced “okay” results for the main opposition means America is hosed, hosed, fuuuuucked.

Also Nancy Pelosi is a trash fire of a human being and the Dems will never accomplish anything decent while they continue to insist on her leadership.

Not to excuse the democrats from their incredibly lovely, short sighted, frustrating, "This is fine" platforms and campaigning, but if the country wasn't gerrymandered to poo poo and there wasn't such blatant, aggressive voter suppression this year, the dems would've taken so many more seats. The system is utterly broken, and that's a much bigger issue than the dems being really bad at elections.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Plus, 3rd party/write-in/protest votes have been a thing in every election pretty much since we defined a two-party system. They're not going anywhere, and it's up to the candidates to prepare for them. That poo poo should be accounted for and planned around as part of the overall campaign strategy. They should have had that baked in, but as long as skapegoating is effective, they won't.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Not to excuse the democrats from their incredibly lovely, short sighted, frustrating, "This is fine" platforms and campaigning, but if the country wasn't gerrymandered to poo poo and there wasn't such blatant, aggressive voter suppression this year, the dems would've taken so many more seats. The system is utterly broken, and that's a much bigger issue than the dems being really bad at elections.

For sure - that’s actually what I was trying to get at with my first paragraph but my second probably recontextualized it.

If Dems aren’t as terrible as they probably are, the very first thing they’re going to focus on is voter reform, because three million more people voted for Democratic senators last night which logically resulted in... Republicans gaining three seats. Here in Ohio the county next door was caught telling Dem voters that they were signed up for absentee voting instead of in-person even though they weren’t. But Pelosi’s insistence on returning to “civility” instead of just admitting we don’t live in a democracy anymore is bad omens, especially when you consider they’re already knocking at the door for tax returns, signaling they’re gonna waste their time on impeachment instead.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Y’all, Nevada literally elected a pimp’s corpse.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
“We need to focus on returning civility and decorum” I shout at several Nazis and a dead man

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

After watching a glut of 1950s sci-fi movies over the past few days...

Do any of them actually have something vaguely resembling actual teenagers, or at least characters that are more stereotypical cool teens? The Blob is the closest I've probably encountered.

Attack of the Giant Gila Monster isn't bad.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

After watching a glut of 1950s sci-fi movies over the past few days...

Do any of them actually have something vaguely resembling actual teenagers, or at least characters that are more stereotypical cool teens? The Blob is the closest I've probably encountered.

It's important for context to know that "teenager" was a new concept at that time. The idea that there was a middle ground between childhood and adulthood that could have its own socioeconomic characteristics was pretty much a post-war discovery. What constituted an "actual teenager" back then was a lot more nebulous, given that it was just beginning to emerge as a distinct demographic. Of course, popular culture did a lot to help codify what it was, so in those 50s sci-fi movies you're watching the birth of "teenager" taking place. The stereotypes would come a little bit later.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The state senate race I was a part of for the past year lost. Didn't really talk about it much, was running a progressive candidate in one of Massachusetts' few red patches and we only managed to win 1/14 towns. Got involved because he's a really good friend of mine. loving sucks, a lot of energy and time volunteering in a district I don't actually live in and to just come up short everywhere against a lying, no-show, Tea Party wave Republican just loving sucks.

I'm glad Scott Walker and Kris Kobach ate poo poo though and getting the House back means we hold on for another two years. Please please please don't elect Pelosi speaker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is there even anyone else in the running as speaker?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Barbara Lee, I think. Would 100% endorse her.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All right.

I have about $72 to my name.

I'm undergoing extensive treatment for this thing in my head that sucks poo poo but might actually yield a positive response, or so they say.

I'm waiting to get approved for BadgerCare.

There's a woman who desperately wants to go out with me, even though I could be dead in 12 - 18 months, if not sooner (or this poo poo could work and I might actually beat it).

What the hell do I do?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Timby posted:

All right.

I'm undergoing extensive treatment for this thing in my head that sucks poo poo but might actually yield a positive response, or so they say.

There's a woman who desperately wants to go out with me, even though I could be dead in 12 - 18 months, if not sooner (or this poo poo could work and I might actually beat it).

What the hell do I do?

Live this indie romcom to the happy end

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Timby posted:

All right.

What the hell do I do?

OVERDRAFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

All right.

What the hell do I do?

Go out with her, you fool. Carpe diem, etc.