Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it's also a constitutional crisis when a politically stacked court blatantly refuses to enforce the subpoena because it's not in the interests of the Republican party

sure but 'what if they just ignore a subpoena?' isn't really the problem here

i bet we get a lot of new caselaw about executive privilege though

e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't been following too closely, but from what I saw in the last thread Kemp won Georgia, but a quick/lazy google is bringing up articles about Abrams not conceding yet, and hoping for run-offs. Is there anything here? What are the chances that Kemp's role in overseeing the election (and clearly doing some shady BS leading up to) has consequence?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

skylined! posted:

Does anyone have any more insight into why GA Gov hasn’t been called? Abrams thinks there’s a line to a runoff but there would need to be about 33k more absentee/provisional votes for either her or the libertarian chin with kemp gaining zero to drop him under 50%.

they might be hoping for some kind of injunction since there's a lawsuit over the handling of the election

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. That is correct.

I don't recall Paul Ryan ever swearing bloody vengeance. His committee chairs did though, and I imagine that our incoming committee chairs have more than a few bones to pick with the way the House investigations have been run.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

If you're looking for silver linings and bright sides:

The obese nature of the rural hoi polloi has thus far endowed them some resistance to the minuscule quantities of (+/- car)fentanyl that typically kill individuals of traditional girth but high fructose corn syrup and ranch induced diabetes and the associated amputations will soon reduce the typical flyover lumpenprole to a weight that's more susceptible to Chinese synthetic opiate grains. The combined effects of simultaneous social detergent exposure in vulnerable populations might make progressive candidates competitive in low population nightmare hellscapes in a couple years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tibalt posted:

I mean... historically I'd say it's the thing I'd most believe would make people vote against their candidate or stay home.

Bad Economy = Bad President has been very consistent for the last 60+ years.

Which is true. But there has never been a cult of personality like this around any president in this country's history. We've been seeing all the norms going out the window for the last 2 years. We're in uncharted territory here, politically.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Well it's not like we have crops rotting in the field and plants unable to fulfill orders due to tariffs.

Wait, we DO have that?

Why the hell do you think Dems did so well in Kansas?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Which is true. But there has never been a cult of personality around any president in this country's history. We've been seeing all the norms going out the window for the last 2 years. We're in uncharted territory here, politically.

Jackson, Roosevelt, Kennedy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

also lol Duncan Hunter got reelected

Just in time for the Thanksgiving Steam sale!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

It shouldn't be, though. Wisconsin is the way it is due to voter suppression. I'm still really mad it was as close as it was for Evers, and Bryce should've won. :mad:

Yeah but i don't care why it's close when it comes to 2020: all that's gonna matter is the election results. But here's a question I didn't think of that will be important: which party is now in charge of the electoral apparatus/state supreme court in WI? I'm pretty sure I saw that Republicans kept the legislature. Can that voter suppression be reversed in time for the 2020 elections?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Sharice Davids and Laura Kelly were, for me, two of the biggest surprises of the night. Boy, Kansas must have REALLY been sick of Brownback's poo poo.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

4) It was so, so, so important to take the House, but the Senate results fill me with dread. All of the viable paths to fixing the country required a Democratic trifecta in 2020 to ram through some key reforms - add PR and DC as states, to counteract the drift of the Senate to a republican lock; voting rights reforms; and popular economic policies that can get passed and will solidify support for Democrats. All of those things will get blocked out of hand by a Republican Senate. I do not know if it's possible to win the Senate now in 2020. If Democrats win the Presidency in 2020 but Republicans keep the Senate, my fear is that Republicans will block anything at all from getting done and Democrats will not turn out in 2022, losing the House and losing the only chance to flip the Senate if they don't in 2020. So that's a kick in the nuts.

Gah you're right aren't you. gently caress, now I'm actually a bit depressed, before just moderately frustrated/disappointed.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Spot on analysis IMO, Evilweasel.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Xae posted:

Jackson, Roosevelt, Kennedy.

sorry, i meant to this degree and i have edited

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Because Brownback wrecked that state before Trump's tarrifs even started, was widely loathed, and Kobach thought it was a super idea to tell everyone in the one debate they had that he thought Brownback was a great governor and he'd continue all his policies. Other republicans in similar situations were smarter about how they dealt with a widely loathed predecessor.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Is this the place where we rage at the inexplicable people in Arizona who are part of the Green Party?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

But Pelosi didn't immediately smear her forehead in lambs' blood and start raving incoherently about vengeance, therefore Dems Bad you see

You should probably put winning the Senate out of your mind

I'd settle for just getting it close to a 50/50 split tbh.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

4) It was so, so, so important to take the House, but the Senate results fill me with dread. All of the viable paths to fixing the country required a Democratic trifecta in 2020 to ram through some key reforms - add PR and DC as states, to counteract the drift of the Senate to a republican lock; voting rights reforms; and popular economic policies that can get passed and will solidify support for Democrats. All of those things will get blocked out of hand by a Republican Senate. I do not know if it's possible to win the Senate now in 2020. If Democrats win the Presidency in 2020 but Republicans keep the Senate, my fear is that Republicans will block anything at all from getting done and Democrats will not turn out in 2022, losing the House and losing the only chance to flip the Senate if they don't in 2020. So that's a kick in the nuts.

I think the undemocratic nature of the Senate needs to enter the national debate in a serious way, the same way that “abolish ICE” and “pack the court” are fast becoming left electoral litmus tests. I’m not sure what the best way to gut the power of the senate is, but something needs to happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kobach losing feels so loving good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

Yeah but i don't care why it's close when it comes to 2020: all that's gonna matter is the election results. But here's a question I didn't think of that will be important: which party is now in charge of the electoral apparatus/state supreme court in WI? I'm pretty sure I saw that Republicans kept the legislature. Can that voter suppression be reversed in time for the 2020 elections?

I honestly have no idea. My understanding is that the legislature will draw the map but now Evers has veto power. However, the court case banning gerrymandering fizzled out? It is unclear to me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
if anyone needs a pick me up because you're bummed that your unrealistic expectations for last night didn't come true, Laura Loomer is losing her loving mind because she feels that Daddy Trump and Fox News both let her down by not broadcasting her insanity 24/7 and she's super depressed

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1060186507078762496

She's tweeted 13 times in the past hour and it's all some variation on this

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Loomer is pretty upset that the GOP won in so many places, isn't she?

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Is this the place where we rage at the inexplicable people in Arizona who are part of the Green Party?

You should *always* be mocking and shaming people who vote Green Party.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Always rage about those fuckwads.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Green party hate is something that should unite us all.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1060189466474635265?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

I think the undemocratic nature of the Senate needs to enter the national debate in a serious way, the same way that “abolish ICE” and “pack the court” are fast becoming left electoral litmus tests. I’m not sure what the best way to gut the power of the senate is, but something needs to happen.

Every single way I can think of requires holding the Senate and admitting some new states, or stuff even more difficult (lol at getting 3/4ths of states behind any constitutional amendment to fix the problem that small idiot states have far too much political power). Which is why being unable to take the Senate in 2020 is terrifying.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
No wonder I've yet to see anyone post about Iron Stache. He lost, after all that attention.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

if anyone needs a pick me up because you're bummed that your unrealistic expectations for last night didn't come true, Laura Loomer is losing her loving mind because she feels that Daddy Trump and Fox News both let her down by not broadcasting her insanity 24/7 and she's super depressed

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1060186507078762496

She's tweeted 13 times in the past hour and it's all some variation on this

Hey, there's the schadenfreude.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Quality thread title. :golfclap:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PamKeithFL/status/1060183379692437505e: this is the loser of the Dem primary in FL-18 (the winner, Lauren Baer, lost the general yesterday)

Martian fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 7, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Good to see she's not giving up :unsmith:

Is it possible?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

That would be a nice surprise

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What’s this about there still being hundreds of thousands of early/absentee votes to count in Arizona? Is this true?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Now that the devils lettuce is going to be legal in Michigan, I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a dispensary in Holland.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Al Borland Corpse posted:

So for the first time I had somebody call me an NPC online. What's a good method, for if this happens in person, to not beat the poo poo out of such a person? Because I'm afraid I might do that and I'd rather not do that.

Uh, don't look now, but I think they might be reading some of the same threads as you. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kobayashi posted:

The era of major Constitutional amendments like this is long since past. The national rhetoric of the Constitution as a monolithic, holy document has become far too entrenched over the past 30 years.

Honestly don't think we'll see a 28th Amendment in our lifetimes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I honestly have no idea. My understanding is that the legislature will draw the map but now Evers has veto power. However, the court case banning gerrymandering fizzled out? It is unclear to me.

The gerrymandering case is still going on, but I'm not talking about gerrymandering. I'm talking about on a presidential level, and gerrymandering isn't the reason Walker only barely lost and won't effect how likely Trump is to win the state in 2020.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/iamdezra/status/1060165557218091015

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1060038048661037057

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What’s this about there still being hundreds of thousands of early/absentee votes to count in Arizona? Is this true?

That is a LOT of votes left lying fallow this late. It's very hard to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
They need to check the senate. Republicans won long-term there with +3, making a lot easier for them to hold in 2020 despite having to defend 22 seats. They also managed to keep Florida for the 2020 gerrymander which is a lot of house seats for the next decade. More than NY this upcoming census. Every vacant judiciary seat is going to federalist-annointed ghouls which will skew the lower courts for at least as long as SCOTUS. On the bright side we can basically ignore Chuck loving Schumer for the indefinite future, as he has absolutely nothing to do that's not making bad press releases.

Battles, wars, etc. When people are upset they have good reason to be: most of what was won tonight was in the 2-year terms that can flip back just as easy if dems poo poo their pants in 2020.