Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Wouldn't it be better just to dissolve DC in to Maryland/Virginia than give an area thats just a couple of square miles statehood?

Washington, D.C. Population 693,972 (2017)
Wyoming Population 579,315 (2017)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

lamentable dustman posted:

Some good tears in this video

https://twitter.com/ABCNews4/status/1060185570276790273

Starts at around 50 seconds

she was going around saying it was her destiny to win the seat and carry out trumps agenda

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Massachusetts voted No on limiting the number of patients per nurse. :sigh: :cmon:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

turtlecrunch posted:

Is there a way to donate our rural counties to Texas???

Look we have enough counties already, 254, we don't need any more of them. Especially when some of them have less than 300 people in them.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Wouldn't it be better just to dissolve DC in to Maryland/Virginia than give an area thats just a couple of square miles statehood?

no, because neither Maryland nor Virginia would be able to agree who gets it, and DC residents would probably be split-ish/prefer self-detmination. also, though this is a very 13 Colonies/Continental Congress concern, the entire reason dc is a federal district is to avoid any one state having the outsized power of having the nation's capital within it, where it could conceivably pass laws that control the federal government (dc as a separate state would maintain its current jurisdiction split and that's easier than working it into the governmental structure of another state)

there's nothing special about 50. we had 48 and 49 states for a long time and it was fine. then we hit a nice round number and our lizard brains collectively called a hault

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

dc is good and deserves statehood

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Massachusetts voted No on limiting the number of patients per nurse. :sigh: :cmon:

Massachusetts is the lovely faux progressive capitol of the country. Any socially liberal policy is fine and we pay lip service the working class, but the minute organized action by labor has even the imagined threat of inconveniencing our day most people go full FYGM. Why do you think the state has such a "moderate" Republican governor fetish?

Source: Have lived in Massachusetts for most of my life.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

juche avocado posted:

no, because neither Maryland nor Virginia would be able to agree who gets it, and DC residents would probably be split-ish/prefer self-detmination. also, though this is a very 13 Colonies/Continental Congress concern, the entire reason dc is a federal district is to avoid any one state having the outsized power of having the nation's capital within it, where it could conceivably pass laws that control the federal government (dc as a separate state would maintain its current jurisdiction split and that's easier than working it into the governmental structure of another state)

there's nothing special about 50. we had 48 and 49 states for a long time and it was fine. then we hit a nice round number and our lizard brains collectively called a hault

Yeah, I'm not opposed in any way to adding more states or maybe even changing the current state borders I just think it'd be weird to add a tiny city state as a solution.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

juche avocado posted:

(dc as a separate state would maintain its current jurisdiction split and that's easier than working it into the governmental structure of another state)

would DC have tiered state and local government(s) too?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

juche avocado posted:

I'm running for president on the single issue platform of adding new states and splitting existing ones until we get to 69

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

seems relatively simple to just add DC votes to Maryland or Virginia !

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

motherbox posted:

Massachusetts is the lovely faux progressive capital of the country. Any socially liberal policy is fine and we pay lip service the working class, but the minute organized action by labor has even the imagined threat of inconveniencing our day most people go full FYGM. Why do you think the state has such a "moderate" Republican governor fetish?

can confirm.

Massholes suck and the rest of new england hates them for entirely valid* reasons

*may not actually be completely valid

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

also we should adopt the german city-state classification for DC, NYC, and LA at the very least

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I'm running for president on the single issue platform of adding new states and splitting existing ones until we get to 69

Why stop there, go for 420. Or cap the number of house members to that number.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

motherbox posted:

Massachusetts is the lovely faux progressive capitol of the country. Any socially liberal policy is fine and we pay lip service the working class, but the minute organized action by labor has even the imagined threat of inconveniencing our day most people go full FYGM. Why do you think the state has such a "moderate" Republican governor fetish?

I just moved here so :(:hf::(

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017

twoday posted:

Twoday’s 2018 Post-Election Rundown Hoedown

Good Stuff That Happened:
:words:

Bad Stuff That Happened:

- that republican guy whose entirely family made a campaign ad against him won somehow

Gosar won 66-33 against Brill. Hearing my coworkers talk it sounded like they somehow took Gosar's family speaking against his candidacy as an insult against their own love of family values (?). Prescott and the surrounding exurb communities (the "Quad-Cities area") are very conservative, in ways that as a transplant from Phoenix I still don't completely get. The county website says that 97,519/140,724 registered voters submitted ballot, so 69.3% turnout.

Yavapai county Democrats really did their best to persuade people that he and other Democrat candidates would be good public servants, too; I've had 4 canvassers come to my door in the last two weeks and talk to me about their candidates. Yesterday morning two people going door-to-door knocked on separate visits to ask me to go vote (I'd mailed mine in the day after I'd gotten it, so that's what I told them.). After the second, I left a sign asking not to be disturbed because I work nights and needed sleep, and no one knocked again, but when I left at 1630 I found a note from yet another visitor asking me to go vote. The canvassers represented Brill, Kyrsten Sinema, January Contreras, and Sinema.

Here are the ones I still have. Not a Democrat, mind, I'm unaffiliated and vote for what I think will support the community while not doing harm.

A Good Thing that happened that non-locals might not have heard about is that Gov. Ducey's attempt to expand the school vouchers program as described in prop 305 was badly beaten. Ducey will try again and will hopefully be beaten again.

Prop 306 ended up passing, which will change our clean elections system to one overseen by agents of the people in power. The state also chose to ban any tax increases for services forever until the law is struck off.

I'll stop talking about Arizona now. Thank you for the writeup of what things are Good and what are Bad.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

euphronius posted:

seems relatively simple to just add DC votes to Maryland or Virginia !

add them to wyoming

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pandanaut posted:

she was going around saying it was her destiny to win the seat and carry out trumps agenda

i wonder why the destiny argument keeps failing

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
as a Marylander I feel it’s wrong to subject DC residents to the horrible Maryland Democratic Party by forcing them into Maryland

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

lamentable dustman posted:

Some good tears in this video

https://twitter.com/ABCNews4/status/1060185570276790273

Starts at around 50 seconds

that entire speech of hers is just one big "OH NO NO NO NO" lmao

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Yinlock posted:

i wonder why the destiny argument keeps failing

it was also her destiny to get into a car crash and nearly die

but I guess it was also destiny for her to
lose so she can blame Mark Sanford for everything

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
some other good news I didn’t see talked about: dems almost have a supermajority (D-20 hasn’t been called but the Assembly is a lock) in NV

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

The bill that was on the ballot was poorly written. It wasn’t a no to limits, it was a no to the particular bill. I fully expect a revised bill to come up and pass instead. That’s what I was told by my woke nurse friends in MA.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
bad:

Cruz wins
rick scott wins
deshittis wins

good:

walker loses
brat loses

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Raere posted:

The bill that was on the ballot was poorly written. It wasn’t a no to limits, it was a no to the particular bill. I fully expect a revised bill to come up and pass instead. That’s what I was told by my woke nurse friends in MA.

this is why referendums are loving stupid, the voters don't even understand what's on the ballot

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hahahaha he's just making GBS threads on all of the Republicans who didn't want to associate with him

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Roth posted:

We apparently made some pretty loving bad calls all around on our props.

8, 10, 12 goddamn

at least even tho the libs dont think people deserve place to live theyll give high density "free range" feed lot chcikens a few extra sq ft

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Woke up and took it all in

Basically it went exactly as we anticipated, but we were expecting (and honestly, needed) more than that. Beto and Gillum losing really stings considering how major of a turnaround it would have been for Texas and Florida. Walker out is fantastic but, like, come on guys it's been 8 years why did it take this long.

Democrats lose a bunch of succ but likely learn loving nothing from it. We get a narrow hold on the House. Flip several governors, not sure about state legislatures, flip a good amount of attorneys general.

Marijuana apparently got approved/passed almost everywhere except North Dakota. Wisconsin marijuana referendra passed by ridiculous margins considering how the rest of the vote went (in Brown County it passed 75-25, yet we voted for Gallagher over Liegeois 65-35)

Got a bunch of women in office - good. Got a bunch of young leftists in office -- also good.

The next major fight is keeping Pelosi the gently caress away from Speaker of the House. If we can throw her out and replace her with someone good then the next two years have potential to be less awful than the past two years. After that the Democrats have to reconfigure their identity and completely loving stop it with the bipartisanship and go full aggro against the Republicans. If they can do that then things set up well into 2020, if not we're just going to see a repeat of 2016 and 2018

On the Republican side of things, everyone should be bracing for voter suppression and electoral fraud to intensify. Kemp's poo poo in Georgia is a loving preview. And looking at how Trump's rhetoric has escalated over the past month, also brace for the Fascism to get worse and worse

Senate went worse than anticipated. It'll be a huge stretch to get to even 50 seats in 2020 now, especially considering Doug Jones is DOA and Manchin could join the GOP on any given day.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

https://mobile.twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1057712493110419456

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

god I'm still recovering from Nate's Needle flipping out shortly after polls closed

that poo poo was not cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

we’re stuck with zodiac killer for another 6 years. gently caress you texas

U-DO Burger posted:

god I'm still recovering from Nate's Needle flipping out shortly after polls closed

y’all just instantly descending into panic was so drat funny
Nate just jabbed a needle into the broken part of everyone’s brain

Augus has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Nov 7, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
is fat gently caress angry this morning or what

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

hell yes he is and it's as good as expected

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Chinatown posted:

He is being a pouty rear end in a top hat and lashing out at people who didn't support him and at journalists asking him tough questions.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

U-DO Burger posted:

Nate just proving that goons don’t understand how polls and needles work

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

i should have listened to the airplane

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Thoguh posted:

It's a microcosm of the country. Dems won almost everywhere there are actually people and then the counties bordering the Missouri are full on Trump country. To bad we can't just cede them to Nebraska and South Dakota.

Holy loving poo poo I never thought Lee would go blue, especially when the rest of the state went red.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

tbh even if its fundamentally sound I do think its a bad idea/irresponsible to have a model misleadingly over-extrapolate from inadequate data in public without appropriate prior caveats/explanation of whats going on

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

tester gonna eke this one out

thank the gently caress christ because this is the rest of my congressional delegation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i don't even get why the needle works the way it does

statistically you should only ever be more confident as you get more data, not less

the needle should start near 50%, like if the polls show a big democrat advantage but are just simply pre election polls they shouldn't be weighted much, it should start at like 53% or something in that case

as you get more info, it should slowly go to one side or the other, probably not moving much at all for the first couple of hours

having it just wildly go back and forth as you get MORE INFORMATION makes no loving sense at all statistically, I don't think