Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

haveblue posted:

It also means they control appropriations and budget, so the wall is 100% dead now.

That is pretty big since iirc that is a power exclusive to the House and not the Senate. Does it allow adjustments to funding of ongoing projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So I'm going to start playing with a 2020 electoral map.

Start with the default map of the 2016 election: https://www.270towin.com/. Donald Trump won by 306-232. This is the baseline: to beat Trump you need to flip states he won, while losing none he lost (unless you flip a lot more that he won).

Based on last night's elections, there's two big ones that should be doable: PA and MI. That gets you a nearly tied race, 270-268: https://www.270towin.com/maps/K1OXn

Now, you can tie the race by flipping ME-02. That gets you 269-269, and the House votes. However based on how the House votes (each state delegation gets one vote, not each rep) I believe Trump wins the tie. So we can ignore this and assume that any map that doesn't give the Dem 270 votes means Trump wins.

So that means that Dems need to flip one of the following, arranged based on how likely they are:

Most likely: Wisconsin, North Carolina. Both have elected Democratic governors, but barely, but went for Trump. WI elected a Democratic governor this year; I need to add up the NC House votes to see who "won" election day 2018. If Dems didn't win it, that's not great. If they did, that's pretty good. I am not saying either of these are likely - I am nowhere near confident Democrats can pull it off in either state. But these are the two best targets I see.

Less likely: Arizona, Iowa, Florida. Democrats fell short in each of these states, but it's possible that they could pull it off in 2020. But if they couldn't do it this year, that's really worrying. Arizona may continue to trend blue, and the impression I got was the Senate candidate for Democrats wasn't the best and was less Trumpy than usual for Republicans, so there's some hope. Iowa is getting crushed by tariffs, but it's still a rural state which means it's a trumpian hellhole, and they just elected a Republican governor. Florida just voted for two terrible people; sure, they enfranchised felons so the electorate will change a little, but Republicans have two years to try to "fix" that.

I guess someone will mention these: Georgia, I guess? Abrams put up a strong showing but lost, and I don't see how you win Georgia without winning other states first so that it's just trying to run up the score. I don't see any others.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/jenyamato/status/1060210196478390275

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sydin posted:

Looks like Tester is going to just barely hold on, he's up ~2,000 votes with 99% reporting. Probably goes to a recount with so slim a margin though:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1060209847109586946

Any word on Arizona? Google and NBC both have the same vote numbers (Sinema down by about ~15,000) but AP says 99% are in, while NBC says only 75%.
https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1060206366541762560
Also, MT electorate is small enough that I'm pretty sure a 2k lead is enough for a +0.5% margin, so it it holds there might not be a recount.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nemo Somen posted:

That is pretty big since iirc that is a power exclusive to the House and not the Senate. Does it allow adjustments to funding of ongoing projects?

I would hardly call The Wall "ongoing"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Brb, going to Canada and hiding in one of those

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

is there a source on this, it's not in the text of the amendment itself.

this rapidly became a meme to poo poo on this victory as soon as a single person posted it, on the premise that the vast majority of ex-felons haven't paid court-ordered legal fees which i see absolutely no data to support

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Tibalt posted:

Lol Beto and Gillum aren't running.
Beto and Gillum will be the two most prized surrogates of 2020 though.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Karen Handel just went down in the GA-06, not sure if anyone beat me to that.
Jon Ossoff sure didn't :v:

Inferior Third Season posted:

My money is on Jeff Sessions getting canned in the next few days/weeks, and him running for his old seat again in 2020.
Fun tidbit on this:

Sessions has argued that he didn't commit perjury or lie on his disclosures because the meetings he had were in his capacity as a senator and chairman, not as a Trump booster or staffer.

His problem is that executive privilege cannot be invoked to block congressional investigations into those meetings and interactions now. And its legislative counterpart is also born of the separation of powers... so it also cannot be invoked to block congressional investigations.

I, uh, don't expect Schiff and Cummings to play nicely with Jeff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lol please tell me more about how O'Rourke getting a bunch of Dem and DSA people elected statewide and going +14 from the last Texas Senate election means leftism is a lost cause

Oh it's because people are shortsighted idiots who think only the federal government ever matters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if you downgrade it to "a path to regaining your vote opened up where there was no path before" that's a pretty big win.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1060212803741642752

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Apraxin posted:

Also, MT electorate is small enough that I'm pretty sure a 2k lead is enough for a +0.5% margin, so it it holds there might not be a recount.

If Sinema pulls it off, I'll feel way better going into 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nemo Somen posted:

Most things are funded on a year to year basis. As a practical matter the requirement appropriations bills originate in the House is meaningless, all that matters is that you need both to agree.

I actually think that what will happen with the Wall is that we're headed for a massive shutdown. Probably in the lame duck. I don't know what's going to happen with that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Apraxin posted:

Thanks, fingers crossed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

Start with the default map of the 2016 election: https://www.270towin.com/. Donald Trump won by 306-232. This is the baseline: to beat Trump you need to flip states he won, while losing none he lost (unless you flip a lot more that he won).

Based on last night's elections, there's two big ones that should be doable: PA and MI. That gets you a nearly tied race, 270-268: https://www.270towin.com/maps/K1OXn

Now, you can tie the race by flipping ME-02. That gets you 269-269, and the House votes. However based on how the House votes (each state delegation gets one vote, not each rep) I believe Trump wins the tie. So we can ignore this and assume that any map that doesn't give the Dem 270 votes means Trump wins.

So that means that Dems need to flip one of the following, arranged based on how likely they are:

Most likely: Wisconsin, North Carolina. Both have elected Democratic governors, but barely, but went for Trump. WI elected a Democratic governor this year; I need to add up the NC House votes to see who "won" election day 2018. If Dems didn't win it, that's not great. If they did, that's pretty good. I am not saying either of these are likely - I am nowhere near confident Democrats can pull it off in either state. But these are the two best targets I see.

Less likely: Arizona, Iowa, Florida. Democrats fell short in each of these states, but it's possible that they could pull it off in 2020. But if they couldn't do it this year, that's really worrying. Arizona may continue to trend blue, and the impression I got was the Senate candidate for Democrats wasn't the best and was less Trumpy than usual for Republicans, so there's some hope. Iowa is getting crushed by tariffs, but it's still a rural state which means it's a trumpian hellhole, and they just elected a Republican governor. Florida just voted for two terrible people; sure, they enfranchised felons so the electorate will change a little, but Republicans have two years to try to "fix" that.

I guess someone will mention these: Georgia, I guess? Abrams put up a strong showing but lost, and I don't see how you win Georgia without winning other states first so that it's just trying to run up the score. I don't see any others.

Iowa threw out most of their Republican CD sans King, so you might be understating the chances

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would hardly call The Wall "ongoing"

I was presuming that Congress would try to fund the wall before the new Congress gets sworn in.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

So... the new head of the committee that could investigate Trump's taxes and financial dealings is Maxine Waters.

Well, ain't that just a shame.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How different will the 2020 demographics be from 2016?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

corn in the bible posted:

Lol please tell me more about how O'Rourke getting a bunch of Dem and DSA people elected statewide and going +14 from the last Texas Senate election means leftism is a lost cause

Oh it's because people are shortsighted idiots who think only the federal government ever matters

Also that Beto was leftist except compared to Texas. If he were a candidate in most other senate races he would be fairly unremarkable except for his age.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harik posted:

Also that Beto was leftist except compared to Texas. If he were a candidate in most other senate races he would be fairly unremarkable except for his age.

His support for M4A makes him progressive by almost any state's standard.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It also helps to contextualize this election as a couple of paragraphs in a 2120 history text book

in a chapter titled "Antebellum Politics" :haw:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Even if you downgrade it to "a path to regaining your vote opened up where there was no path before" that's a pretty big win.

there was a path before, but it was like running the 1904 Olympic marathon

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

big mood.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If there's an equal turnout and Trump wins 2020 while being -7 to -9 in the popular vote there's going to be riots. Not saying your analysis is wrong weasel but if that comes to pass, I know I'd be out on the streets.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

sean10mm posted:

This severely understates what happened. No new law at all can be passed without the approval of the House. It is also where all spending and revenue legislation originates. The Democrats can 100% kill ANY proposed GOP legislation now.

This part specifically is overstated. Any bill that includes spending and revenue language must originate in the House, but the Senate figured out a workaround decades ago and these days they just amend HR 201 Post Office Naming Bill #454, hollowing it out and turning it into effectively the Buy One Billion Tanks Bill. Since the bill itself originated in the House despite not containing any of the funding language at the time, it still counts.

Of course, the Dems can still kill it all by not voting for the bill when it comes back from the Senate with all the tank-buying language bolted on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

It also helps to contextualize this election as a couple of paragraphs in a 2120 history text book

in a chapter titled "Antebellum Politics" :haw:

That textbook is just going to be the words "WORSHIP THE HUMUNGUS" over and over for 400 pages.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ohio might be redlocked unless something major happens now, mainly if tarriffs or healthcare a toons start destroying the active parts of the economy. Least sherrod won :unsmith:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

exploded mummy posted:

go off path drunk and take a nap in someone's rose garden?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

also in this analogy, the judge who decides whether you finished asks you if you voted for him last election as the main determining factor

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Wasn't Trump supposed to do a speech or something by now?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Dems won Iowa last night pretty comfortably if you add up the House votes. By around 49,000 votes over Republicans, and by around 10,000 votes if you give all the other parties' votes to the GOP.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Help me understand something, as someone who is largely clueless about politics.

Just how much impact does the vast red majority in the Senate actually have? Legislation needs to pass through the House before it goes to the Senate, correct? So with a pronounced democrat majority in the House, they can obstruct legislation in Congress just as badly as republicans did during Obama's terms, correct?

How much does that majority matter if legislation is much less likely to even make it to them to begin with?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

go off path drunk and take a nap in someone's rose garden?

or get chased by rabid dogs, collapse with severe dust inhalation to the point of asphyxiation, or win because some dude started eating rat poison

while the white guy gets in a car and drives to the stadium instead

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

Iowa threw out most of their Republican CD sans King, so you might be understating the chances

Yeah, but they elected a Republican governor. I think that's more meaningful than the House races...though I see that Dems seem to have gotten more House votes than Republicans did. Curious, perhaps the governor race was more local and so it is more in play nationally than I thought.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

that's a lot of strychnine usage then

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Uh, the gerrymandering very clearly broke in the House, I don't know where you're getting that it didn't.

Democrats won a second House seat in *South Carolina*.

It's a little hard to explain, but basically gerrymandering makes state representation sticky, so even as vote totals change for a party, their representation doesn't change much. However at a certain break the gerrymander fails, and then representation changes rapidly with only relatively small additional shifts in the margin.

the stickyness is called "responsiveness," with more gerrymandered states being less responsive.

In North Carolina Democrats won three and 1 race is almost tied and still undecided. Democrats made it to right below the point where the gerrymander would break, but couldn't quite push to the point where races start rapidly flipping. I don't have a similar map for South Carolina but I suspect the story is the same. Democrats pushed right up to point where the weakest gerrymanders started failing, but didn't quite push past the margin at which they would fail en masse.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

His support for M4A makes him progressive by almost any state's standard.
That might be news to O'Rourke:

quote:

Healthcare is a moral question that transcends politics – it is a basic human right, not a privilege. 4.3 million Texans – including over 600,000 children – can’t see a doctor, or when they do, they’re so sick they have no choice but to go to the Emergency Room where the cost will be many times more expensive and the outcome will be worse.

When a mother forgoes a routine mammogram because she is uninsured, or a father ignores chronic pain because he didn’t qualify for a subsidy to buy insurance, everyone’s healthcare costs are likely to be greater in the long-term. We want our parents and our children to be healthy and live to their full potential. This is much more likely when they have access to the healthcare they need.

Steps that we should take together to transform healthcare include:

Improving the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by stabilizing our insurance markets. Guaranteeing continued payments for ACA subsidies that reduce enrollees’ cost-sharing and reimbursing insurers for high-cost individuals.
Incentivizing insurers to participate in the exchanges, especially in underserved counties.
Expanding Medicaid to cover more Texans and protecting the Medicaid guarantee for vulnerable children, the disabled, and the elderly.
Lowering premiums and prescription drug costs by using the government’s purchasing power to make healthcare more affordable for everyone.
Creating a public option on the exchanges so that Americans are guaranteed affordable coverage.
Achieving universal healthcare coverage— whether it be through a single payer system, a dual system, or otherwise – so that we can ensure everyone is able to see a provider when it will do the most good and will deliver healthcare in the most affordable, effective way possible.

* Texas needs to stop rejecting the Obama medicare expansion
* Sure, change something about healthcare and I'll go for it but I have no real preference.

His platform is about average for dems. M4A if it polls well enough and a bill is in front of him, but don't expect Beto to be the one sponsoring it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CascadeBeta posted:

Dems had a minimum +7 probably +9 popular vote and Trump won because he won 3 states by 30k votes total. Beto nearly won in Texas with a 15 point swing against Cruz. You don't know what you're talking about.

None of those things really changes anything I said.... Florida and Ohio are still holding the Trumpist line and Wisconsin is 50-50.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blitz7x posted:

I literally can't believe this guy is my new representative. He's more cartoony than the bigfoot porn guy

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/973026837742923777

Holy poo poo you elected Snake Plissken, cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Framboise posted:

Help me understand something, as someone who is largely clueless about politics.

Just how much impact does the vast red majority in the Senate actually have? Legislation needs to pass through the House before it goes to the Senate, correct? So with a pronounced democrat majority in the House, they can obstruct legislation in Congress just as badly as republicans did during Obama's terms, correct?

How much does that majority matter if legislation is much less likely to even make it to them to begin with?

For legislation, not at all. That's one huge win from last night-- no more tax cuts for the rich, no more gutting social services legislatively.

For appointments to executive and judicial posts, all that's changed is they got ever so slightly easier for Trump, but there was already next to no chance the Senate blocked any of his appointments, so that becoming no chance whatsoever is more of a moral gut punch than a practical change.