Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm mildly disgusted by the fact that biomute finds the physical existence of a book more important than it's contents.

Man i sure do love collecting piles of paper.

It's like insisting that the plastic is more important than the artistry of the action figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Modern economics is soothsaying for the rich.

I think people tend to buy physical RPG books when convenient to read through, but for actual play it's usually infinitely more convenient to use PDFs, pirated if necessary.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

Literally an IRL example of

kingcom posted:

Holy lol, going 'actually I was just pretending to be retarded' puppetmaster.

Don't call people that, this isn't hard.

I'm also tired of people in this thread flaming each other over silly arguments in general, so drop the PDF argument and knock it off.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I’m not sure I get how JWP’s bundling of the 1st ed 7th Sea material is a negative WRT the current JWP situation. Is the thought process here that it could have been hidden behind a different gate or maybe a later release? Given that it cost JWP nothing or almost nothing to distribute the product to backers, having it as a throw in seems like a good idea to drive eyeballs and money to the new edition.

Is it the fact that JWP opted to keep pushing additional books as stretch goals the big mistake here? Or is the fact that JWP has been saddled with having to fulfill both 2ed and Kithai Kickstarters simultaneously?

I guess what I’m asking is if looking at the current state of RPG kickstarters what key lessons can you extract from 7th Sea as a case study?

Are there better examples of how a RPG KS should be run? Maybe a better example of an RPG KS overreaching on stretch goals?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nystral posted:

I’m not sure I get how JWP’s bundling of the 1st ed 7th Sea material is a negative WRT the current JWP situation. Is the thought process here that it could have been hidden behind a different gate or maybe a later release? Given that it cost JWP nothing or almost nothing to distribute the product to backers, having it as a throw in seems like a good idea to drive eyeballs and money to the new edition.

Is it the fact that JWP opted to keep pushing additional books as stretch goals the big mistake here? Or is the fact that JWP has been saddled with having to fulfill both 2ed and Kithai Kickstarters simultaneously?

I guess what I’m asking is if looking at the current state of RPG kickstarters what key lessons can you extract from 7th Sea as a case study?

Are there better examples of how a RPG KS should be run? Maybe a better example of an RPG KS overreaching on stretch goals?

Bundling the 1e books was fine, even a great idea. The problem was that they bundled in all of the 2e books that comprised the product line going forward, which deprived them of pretty much any income.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nystral posted:

It's not about the 1e material - it's that he gave away all the 2e material, which probably cut JWP's income hugely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

It's not about the 1e material - it's that he gave away all the 2e material, which probably cut JWP's income hugely.

Looking at the campaign, every book I've gotten for the line thus far was a stretch goal in the original KS that a backer could have for only $40. That is crazy and nonsense on a grand scale.

Also the very last funded goals were the board game and a cinematic trailer. So... yeah, all this money + money sinks!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

I wonder if this is will also bite the Delta Green people as well, as IIRC they followed a very similar model (abet at a much higher per backer floor)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Giving away PDFs like that is also godawful from an ongoing marketing and community perspective. It means that your core audience has less incentive to engage with your new books' hype campaigns for as you put them out. They can just sit and wait for the text to hit their email, with zero financial engagement.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's constant at the undergrad level. You don't stop seeing models that assume rational actors until post-grad economics, if that.

Look, if people don't match our models then clearly it's the people who are the problem.

E: I joke, but that's basically the conclusion of every experiment I did in undergrad physics. Let's hear it for old communal lab equipment.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Haystack posted:

Giving away PDFs like that is also godawful from an ongoing marketing and community perspective. It means that your core audience has less incentive to engage with your new books' hype campaigns for as you put them out. They can just sit and wait for the text to hit their email, with zero financial engagement.
Has there ever been a kickstarter which instead sent out 50% Off coupons for future books?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Interesting article about KS marketing techniques for a video game but the same methods could be used for TGs of course.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisZukowski/20181031/329102/Boyfriend_Dungeon_the_secrets_of_their_email_marketing_strategy.php

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Interesting article about KS marketing techniques for a video game but the same methods could be used for TGs of course.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisZukowski/20181031/329102/Boyfriend_Dungeon_the_secrets_of_their_email_marketing_strategy.php

Having more flavorful emails is a really good idea. Something that’s fun to read and engage with, rather than a more flat telling of events.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Tampons have no value because I don't want to put one up my butt.

Discuss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Actually let's not.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Meinberg posted:

Having more flavorful emails is a really good idea. Something that’s fun to read and engage with, rather than a more flat telling of events.

Just don't go full Luke Crane with the eccentric wizard voice.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

LongDarkNight posted:

Just go full Luke Crane with the eccentric wizard voice.

Fixed for you

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

WereGoat posted:

Fixed for you

Seriously, the only issue I had with Wizard Voice was when he was actively cancelling people's pledges because they had real questions and Wizard Voice wasn't answering them in any sort of reasonable way. Had he just had a Wizard Intern Voice or whatever, I don't think anyone would've cared.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Sion posted:

The cam was real bad for it. Membership Clearance was a feature, not a bug.

Not the best post to quite directly but to continue the larp conversation...

I've been larping ever since it existed in its current form where I am (Perth, Western Australia). Anyone who we've had from Camarilla/Vampire has been a problem to deal with, from serial harassers to just lovely rules lawyers. Meanwhile the community we've built based on hitting each other with foam swords and not being terrible people is growing constantly to the order of 200+ players for our various games. But we are a wierd as heck case, since we're basically as far away from any larp discussion/established group as you can be without being in Antartica. It's a 4 hour flight for me to go to larp outside my city.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Cocomonk3 posted:

Not the best post to quite directly but to continue the larp conversation...

I've been larping ever since it existed in its current form where I am (Perth, Western Australia). Anyone who we've had from Camarilla/Vampire has been a problem to deal with, from serial harassers to just lovely rules lawyers. Meanwhile the community we've built based on hitting each other with foam swords and not being terrible people is growing constantly to the order of 200+ players for our various games. But we are a wierd as heck case, since we're basically as far away from any larp discussion/established group as you can be without being in Antartica. It's a 4 hour flight for me to go to larp outside my city.

As someone who knows literally nothing about the Australian Larp scene, this is real neat. How often do you meet? And for how long? I imagine less frequently on account of the remoteness.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Meinberg posted:

As someone who knows literally nothing about the Australian Larp scene, this is real neat. How often do you meet? And for how long? I imagine less frequently on account of the remoteness.

additionally are you describing Society of Creative Anachronism (SCA) or something wholly different?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Lore Bear posted:

Had he just had a Wizard Intern Voice or whatever, I don't think anyone would've cared.

I wish he'd posted as the belabored go-between for the backers and the gonzo cave wizard:

I forwarded your questions The Wizard and he replied "<Luke Crane garbage>," which hopefully means shipping starts in 3-4 weeks.

That way he still gets to be a loving pretentious weirdo, but we all get information. Everybody wins!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

I wish he'd posted as the belabored go-between for the backers and the gonzo cave wizard:

I forwarded your questions The Wizard and he replied "<Luke Crane garbage>," which hopefully means shipping starts in 3-4 weeks.

That way he still gets to be a loving pretentious weirdo, but we all get information. Everybody wins!

Pretty much. There's a reason Elminster can break the third wall and talk directly in game terms so you actually know what kind of whoopass is on the other side of those rude-rear end drow titties.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, Elminster also wasn't nearly as difficult to understand as those emails.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dawgstar posted:

Also the very last funded goals were the board game and a cinematic trailer. So... yeah, all this money + money sinks!

Yeah, I remember commenting "please don't scope creep" at the time. Instead, we've gotten the cinematic trailer (filmed but never released, as far as I can tell?), two attempts at the board game, and an attempted video game. Granted, I don't know how much each of these cost- the board game seemed to be largely complete when I saw it at conventions, and the video game never got beyond the "pitch video" level, but it can't have helped.

Granted, as a backer it was pretty much the $40 level that pulled me in to begin with, and I wasn't alone. What probably hurt them more, though, strangely, was the "just the core book" tiers, which got people all the PDFs and required them to produce and ship a book for over 5,000 people at... basically $20 over the PDF tier? That can't have helped.

On top of this news- in fact, right before it- was the announcement of 7th Sea: 1868 as well, which makes me wonder if John is going to the "borrow from Peter to pay Paul" trap of kickstarter usage. It could be a bad scene if he does.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hahaha, I forgot all about the dreadful looking video game Kickstarter. Jesus.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So wait, I assume Rokugan from L5R is no longer part of the 7th Sea world or is there some kind of deal with FFG or?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It never was, except in some weird fever dreams of a handful of writers. Even in 7th Sea 1e they eventually did a book that produced a very different-looking Not Asia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

It never was, except in some weird fever dreams of a handful of writers. Even in 7th Sea 1e they eventually did a book that produced a very different-looking Not Asia.

Yeah. I can't ever recall that notion being serious. The dudes who rolled up with cannons were just explorers/pirates/whatever, they weren't from Castille or something.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Lore Bear posted:

Seriously, the only issue I had with Wizard Voice was when he was actively cancelling people's pledges because they had real questions and Wizard Voice wasn't answering them in any sort of reasonable way. Had he just had a Wizard Intern Voice or whatever, I don't think anyone would've cared.
That and the way he was more or less openly gloating about cancelling pledges on Twitter.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Warthur posted:

That and the way he was more or less openly gloating about cancelling pledges on Twitter.

Yeah, this was extremely off putting. I probably won't back another Luke Crane thing again because he was such a titanic dick about people wanting to know reasonable things.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

What was particularly galling for me was that at the time (and possibly presently, I haven't checked) Crane worked for Kickstarter, and I kind of feel like people who have a publicly-visible connection to the company ought to run their projects on a "This is what best practice looks like" basis, not a "This is my private thing and I'm going to do it how I wanna do it :smuggo: " basis.

EDIT: Or, indeed, not use the platform at all because there's kind of an intrinsic conflict of interest there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Who works at FFG/Asmodee and can explain why they have the foresight to print card sleeve size numbers on their games with cards but then don't actually put that size number on any of the packaging on their entire line of sleeves? Some real fuckin' brain geniuses at that operation, I tell ya.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I won't back another Luke Crane thing again because he is such a titanic dick.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Luke Crane is good though, and his games are good and papery.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Having an obtuse wizard make everything complicated is incredibly close to what it's like to read Burning Wheel.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, it's a good read, but hard to get people into.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Crane is a good designer but his business is basically designed around making exactly the product he wants to use himself, and he won't lift a finger to accommodate anybody else (see: he doesn't use PDFs, so nobody gets one).

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Nystral posted:

I wonder if this is will also bite the Delta Green people as well, as IIRC they followed a very similar model (abet at a much higher per backer floor)

Delta Green's relevant pledge levels:

$20 -- the Agent's Handbook PDF, a bunch of random adventures, and the Control Group campaign book
$25 -- the above and any one extra PDF
$80 -- the above and all stretch goal PDFs
$100 -- everything funded in PDF (basically an extra $20 to get the Case Officer's Handbook for GMs along with the Agent's Handbook for players)

During the campaign they took several of the smaller free PDFs and turned them into a book called... The Complex, IIRC?

The other substantial books: Falling Towers, Deep State, and Impossible Landscapes. So If you went in at the $100 level, you were getting seven PDFs for $14 apiece. $80 level is consistent with that, roughly $13 per PDF. Getting the Agent's Handbook plus any one other PDF plus Control Group plus The Complex for $25 is a good bargain, but it's not a deadly one.

And most of the small adventure PDFs were older adventures that just needed conversion to the new rules. Not a ton of work.

It'll take a while for Delta Green to complete, but I have faith.

Now, 7th Sea charged me $40 for every single PDF. 12 books. 3 bucks a PDF. OW. And no reason for anyone to go higher unless they love physical books.

Average pledge, btw: $115 for 7th Sea, $143 for DG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

Who works at FFG/Asmodee and can explain why they have the foresight to print card sleeve size numbers on their games with cards but then don't actually put that size number on any of the packaging on their entire line of sleeves? Some real fuckin' brain geniuses at that operation, I tell ya.

The numbers aren't the type of sleeves but the numbers of sleeve packs you would need. I think the sleeves are simply color coded. So you see the colored box with a number in it to let you know how many of that color package you need.

It's been a little while since I bought a FFG game but thats how I remember it.