Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ol yeller posted:

none of that is really what he was getting at (as he explained on the stern show a couple days back). he was saying that sexual assault is, unfortunately, a very common thing, with known support systems for victims. and what ck and roseanne went through (being famous and suddenly publicly blackballed) is fairly uncommon. he then adds that he doesnt really understand what the endgame of blackballing is, and that it is unrealistic to expect that ck and barr should just kill themselves or disappear, or if that really helps anything.

i dont necessarily agree with him but to say hes fighting the sjws is kind of misleading.

Well, when he said they "lost everything in a day," that was pretty ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Jurgan posted:

Well, when he said they "lost everything in a day," that was pretty ridiculous.

again, i dont agree with him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ol yeller posted:

none of that is really what he was getting at (as he explained on the stern show a couple days back). he was saying that sexual assault is, unfortunately, a very common thing, with known support systems for victims. and what ck and roseanne went through (being famous and suddenly publicly blackballed) is fairly uncommon. he then adds that he doesnt really understand what the endgame of blackballing is, and that it is unrealistic to expect that ck and barr should just kill themselves or disappear, or if that really helps anything.

i dont necessarily agree with him but to say hes fighting the sjws is kind of misleading.

re: ck & barr, they can just be rich or stack shelves or something i really dont care

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ps thanks for the summary even if you dont agree with him :|

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Yeah I mean Louis CK seems to have given a non-apology, taken a six month vacation and it's pretty much all fine so I wouldn't even say he has lost that much.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Yeah I mean Louis CK seems to have given a non-apology, taken a six month vacation and it's pretty much all fine so I wouldn't even say he has lost that much.

His comeback was literally forcing his presence on people who didn’t ask for it and weren’t given the opportunity to prepare.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ol yeller posted:

I really don't get how he doesn't get the 'endgame' of blackballing, though. The 'endgame' is literally 'we don't want to gently caress with them any more' and the method is 'so we stop hiring them and supporting them'. None of the people 'hit' with this are being actually harmed, CK and Barr are still incredibly wealthy and, spoiler alert, for a 'blackball' they're still both getting press and probably steady work soon anyway. He's looking at wealthy and powerful people being held to the most minimum of standards and going 'I don't get it what do you people want???'

He dumb as hell, friend.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jurgan posted:

His comeback was literally forcing his presence on people who didn’t ask for it and weren’t given the opportunity to prepare.

well asking for consent didn't seem to make a difference last time

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

bango skank posted:

well asking for consent didn't seem to make a difference last time

Exactly. It’s hard to take seriously people who say “he’s been punished enough” when he clearly hasn’t learned anything.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ol yeller posted:

again, i dont agree with him.

then stop defending that loving idiot

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Norm's the same dude who genuinely thinks Reagan's the best president of all time. I don't think it's a bit.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ol yeller posted:

More specifically, he said that he didn't think the current model of blackballing someone for saying or doing the wrong thing and no way for him or her to gain foregiveness is untenable in the long term and that he put Roseanne in contact with Louis CK because no one else in his friends went through what they did (being blackballed by an industry).

Also, lumping Roseanne with people that commited sexual misconduct is hosed up and insulting to her, and victims of sexual assault.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Norm is funny, he's also an idiot, the two aren't mutually exclusive

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

Lol

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mulaney just won the Emmy for his Kid Gorgeous special. Good for him!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Mulaney just won the Emmy for his Kid Gorgeous special. Good for him!

His face is great. He's like "uh... no? Wrong? You said the wrong name?"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I enjoyed the new Rogan special, it was on a similar level as the previous one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

nobody posts in here but if you like standup and joke writing or maybe are one, the podcast "Good One" is great and today's ep with Chris Gethard was really good. The host basically gets a comedian on, they pick one specific bit, play it, then analyze it / how it was written etc.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

The Berzerker posted:

nobody posts in here but if you like standup and joke writing or maybe are one, the podcast "Good One" is great and today's ep with Chris Gethard was really good. The host basically gets a comedian on, they pick one specific bit, play it, then analyze it / how it was written etc.

Interesting, thanks for the recommendation!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Bill Burr's All Things Comedy YouTube Channel has a pretty interesting new series where comedians come on and play foosball with Kelsey Cook, who is not only a comedian, but a professional foosball player. Pretty cool idea for a show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3RM6_p2E4Q

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

New Series premiers on Netflix tonight at midnight. Several absolute monster comics are involved. I am much excite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrPpI91-XI

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Gramps posted:

New Series premiers on Netflix tonight at midnight. Several absolute monster comics are involved. I am much excite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrPpI91-XI

I won't watch it unless there's one (1) positive review in this thread and/or no more than two (2) average reviews.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I won't watch it unless there's one (1) positive review in this thread and/or no more than two (2) average reviews.

Well, the people involved are watchable. We'll see, I suppose.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I mean it's basically 6 half hour sets from different comics. Watch the ones you like and skip the others. Oakerson, Christina P, and CoCo are must watches for me. I'll watch the rest of em too cause gently caress it, but half of the comics are some of my favorites so it'll be at least partially awesome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been listening to some Bill Hicks compilations on my phone which doesn't have an ad blocker and it's real weird listening to him rail on advertising, marketing and the satan spawn of consumerism then get interrupted for an ad. In a way, it kind of fits the material.

And, geez. I didn't know Hicks did some of those horrible gay jokes.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
the funny comedian who is smart and everyone else is stupid

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally saw Kyle Kinane perform on Wednesday night. Guy was great, and it was a full set of new material that will make a great special.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I finally saw Kyle Kinane perform on Wednesday night. Guy was great, and it was a full set of new material that will make a great special.

I've seen him three times and he fuckin ripped every time

Saw Natasha Leggero last night. She did a chunk of crowd work at the end that was a little clunky, but crowd work can be like that. Good set otherwise.

UncleButts fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 11, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, as if there was any doubt before, Louis CK is over:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1079538170960572416

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's weird isn't it. Louis can be really funny when he wants to be. That stuff is just so lazy. Do you reckon he would listen back to that and think "yeah I'm back baby"?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well, as if there was any doubt before, Louis CK is over:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1079538170960572416

Man its just so bad lmao. Like its really funny that this is his comeback.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I turned off that bootleg set recording about halfway thru because it was just kinda mediocre and also you could hear like the most stereotypical frat guy cheering at him and it made the whole meta situation seem really weird.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jean Eric Burn posted:

I turned off that bootleg set recording about halfway thru because it was just kinda mediocre and also you could hear like the most stereotypical frat guy cheering at him and it made the whole meta situation seem really weird.

Then you missed the ugliest, most unpleasant, and most disappointing hot take near the end.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He's always pushed boundaries, so it could just be that he was trying to do that in a particularly ill advised way at a time when nobody's willing to extend benefit of the doubt to him anymore, but I can't help thinking that it's going to be pretty depressing if the end result of his time in the wilderness is coming back alt right because he feels victimized by PC culture or some stupid poo poo like that

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1079621558770040834

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 31, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's pretty tame, tbh. Like, a 2/10 on the scale of offensiveness based on all the material he's ever done. Oh no, he made fun of weird pronouns and did a self-aware old guy grouse about the-kids-these-days, let's all hug and cry!

And the jokes themselves pretty lame/rough, but it's a bootleg, that's how most bits sound early on in their development.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

That's pretty tame, tbh. Like, a 2/10 on the scale of offensiveness based on all the material he's ever done. Oh no, he made fun of weird pronouns and did a self-aware old guy grouse about the-kids-these-days, let's all hug and cry!

To me the difference is that before there was an understanding that he was going to say offensive poo poo but it's okay because we knew he was really one of the good guys, and right now I don't think he's earned that expectation. I do think it's a little unfair to judge someone by their work in progress bootleg material, but he knows the microscope he's under now, and doesn't seem to care. I'm sure he'll find an audience either way (even if it's not the one he had before), but I don't blame people who decide they don't trust his intentions anymore.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1079569620032311296

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 31, 2018

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah when he shared lovely opinions he had before it felt like he was self aware and sharing because they're lovely absurd opinions to have. That's completely evaporated.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been listening to some Bill Hicks compilations on my phone which doesn't have an ad blocker and it's real weird listening to him rail on advertising, marketing and the satan spawn of consumerism then get interrupted for an ad. In a way, it kind of fits the material.

And, geez. I didn't know Hicks did some of those horrible gay jokes.

Bill Hicks also had a song called "Chicks Dig Jerks", too.

He is the definition of a "nice guy".

And, uh, the rant against a woman in the audience is...something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Bill Hicks' dick must've tasted like a pack of cigarettes. I guess we'll never know.