Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pookel posted:

Beto is the only white male politician I have ever seen black women get genuinely excited about on the internet. Sure, black women reliably vote for Democratic candidates no matter who the party runs, but usually that involves less enthusiasm and more pragmatism. Usually when some "woke" white politician steps into racial politics, he gets polite approval mixed with eyerolls, distrust, and critique of the white savior mentality (which is a completely fair assessment for most of them!). Not Beto though. He wrote a column for Essence magazine about the maternal mortality rate for black women! He got Beyonce plugging his campaign! He has worked hard to earn that trust.

And that's just one example. The point is, the guy is really loving good at getting through to communities that don't automatically trust him. If he can do it for black women as a white guy in this day and age, he can do it for the broad coalition the Democrats need in 2020.

Oh Beto could do the job. But it isn't just about him. Representation matters too and it's important that the Democratic Party ticket not be two white dudes.

Like, demographically speaking Beto is like voting for a better-looking, harder-working version of myself. I'd love to vote for Beto someday. But if it's a two person ticket I don't want two white guys on the ticket even if one is Bernie and the other is Beto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh Beto could do the job. But it isn't just about him. Representation matters too and it's important that the Democratic Party ticket not be two white dudes.

Kamala/Beto 2020

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1060077350677872640?s=20

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

That early concession was a weird choice

I thought it was weird at the time and brought up that the margin was less than 80k votes when he started his speech. Decorum strikes again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

big boi posted:

Kamala/Beto 2020

I'm not sure the AG who refused to prosecute Mnuchin for his role in the '08 financial collapse is the nominee we need.

(also draconian truancy laws, shittiness on trans issues, etc etc)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Definitely, yeah. I'd prefer a non-white and/or female candidate who could do what he does, but I'm not sure there is one right now.

His running mate would 100% have to be someone like Kamala Harris though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pookel posted:

Beto is the only white male politician I have ever seen black women get genuinely excited about on the internet. Sure, black women reliably vote for Democratic candidates no matter who the party runs, but usually that involves less enthusiasm and more pragmatism. Usually when some "woke" white politician steps into racial politics, he gets polite approval mixed with eyerolls, distrust, and critique of the white savior mentality (which is a completely fair assessment for most of them!). Not Beto though. He wrote a column for Essence magazine about the maternal mortality rate for black women! He got Beyonce plugging his campaign! He has worked hard to earn that trust.

And that's just one example. The point is, the guy is really loving good at getting through to communities that don't automatically trust him. If he can do it for black women as a white guy in this day and age, he can do it for the broad coalition the Democrats need in 2020.

He has been called "white Obama" by quite a few people and I literally think a huge part of it is that he actually reminds people of Barack Obama in the way he looks and speaks.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think it's gonna be Gillibrand that ends up leading the ticket, if for nothing else that she could maybe pull white women away from Trump

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rabble posted:

I thought it was weird at the time and brought up that the margin was less than 80k votes when he started his speech. Decorum strikes again

Conceding is not legally binding.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

2020 Waters/Beto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not enough Amy Klobachar president talk. She won by 20 points in a purple state. Massively popular even in Trumpist areas.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really wanted one gently caress you to some people in my life with Beto or Gillum. Not getting that despite the positives is disappointing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mahoning posted:

He has been called "white Obama" by quite a few people and I literally think a huge part of it is that he actually reminds people of Barack Obama in the way he looks and speaks.

They both kind of look like gangly kids I guess

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Conceding is not legally binding.

No you see all we have to do is get a piece of paper in front of the president that reads "I retroactively concede the election." Bing bang boom, easy as pie!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

I'm not sure the AG who refused to prosecute Mnuchin for his role in the '08 financial collapse is the nominee we need.

(also draconian truancy laws, shittiness on trans issues, etc etc)

for me harris is at the bottom of the 'acceptable / people i would not be gritting my teeth voting for' tiers

she's not biden/booker, but she's definitely not gillibrand / sanders buttigieg either either

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
2020 Bernie/Barbara Lee.

But who am I kidding, it'll be Warren and some gigantic waste like Tim Kaine lmao

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Mahoning posted:

He's got the same ability to speak in complete, well-formed sentences & paragraphs off the cuff, which a lot of politicians don't have, for one thing. Not just proper English, I mean - you could pretty much write up a verbatim transcript of live debate answers and turn it into a book. Obama's like that too. (Biden got poo poo for calling him "articulate" because that so often implies "doesn't talk like a black guy," but I *think* this ability was what he was getting at.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Carlosologist posted:

I think it's gonna be Gillibrand that ends up leading the ticket, if for nothing else that she could maybe pull white women away from Trump

gillibrand is very good

sanders is better, but gillibrand is very good

she's currently either my #2 or #3 pick out of the prominent likely candidates, depending on whether Warren can shore up her campaigning chops (Warren is a great Senator, and would be a great Cabinet member, but those aren't all the qualifications we want in a nominee)

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

mcmagic posted:

Not enough Amy Klobachar president talk. She won by 20 points in a purple state. Massively popular even in Trumpist areas.

I’ve been saying for years that she would win any kind of presidential race. She is comically electable in Minnesota. She is not progressive, more center left/liberal and gets tons of legislation passed.

I don’t really want her to run but she’d probably win if she did.

E: also, lol at calling Minnesota Purple.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 7, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

We do not need an 80 year old running for President. No Bernie please.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Carlosologist posted:

Same, but I wonder if her time as a member of the Blue Dog caucus is going to help or hurt her when people start paying attention.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Scott Walker defeat, and everything around it, is one of the most satisfying things about this election. Every detail that unfolds about it tastes sweet.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

She's awesome, but I'm not sure she'd get people excited enough to actually win the primary.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Failed Imagineer posted:

2020 Bernie/Barbara Lee.

But who am I kidding, it'll be Warren and some gigantic waste like Tim Kaine lmao

Tim Kaine was to shore up Virginia, but at this point, Virginia doesn't need shoring up.

Pander posted:

2020 Waters/Beto

I loving wish

But to be honest, there is an entire thread about the 2020 primaries, we should probably take a lot of this chat over there

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone punch Bernie in the stomach so hard he spits out an egg that hatches called "Bernie" and it runs in the Democratic primary in 2020 under the guise of "BerJunior"

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Edmund Lava posted:

Same, but I wonder if her time as a member of the Blue Dog caucus is going to help or hurt her when people start paying attention.

No one who would abide a second Trump term will care. Gillebrand's big challenge will be avoiding the Hillary 2.0 branding, that Trump will likely force on her. "Hillary didn't beat me, so they are sending her successor to try".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mcmagic posted:

Not sure I'd call Minnesota a purple state. We're two state senate seats off a DFL trifecta, all of our other statewide elections went D, and we haven't gone red for president in ages. We're no California, but we're still solidly blue.

20 points is quite impressive even with that in mind, though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pander posted:

2020 Waters/Beto

How old is Maxine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Edmund Lava posted:

she swung hard to the left the moment she was no longer the House member for a pretty purple district

best case scenario: she actually believes in left things but had to pretend she didn't because her constituents were bad
worst case scenario: she's a soulless triangulator with no conviction, which isn't actually completely terrible in a leftward-moving Democratic Party but is definitely the stance some people are going to take
medium scenario: she actually believed her less-great positions but has genuinely come around on them and is now good

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How old is Maxine.

very

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

I mean, we only need to win back 3 out of the 4 following states: Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania

I don't think the Blue Dog Caucus is a huge turnoff to voters in those states.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Crows Turn Off posted:

We do not need an 80 year old running for President. No Bernie please.

Yeah, I don't want an 80 year old president. Not to be ageist, but male life expectancy tops out at 80-81. US President is not something you should be rolling the dice on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

2020 Waters/Beto

I mean, it'll never happen. But imagine the loving infarction Trump would have if Maxine beats him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TyrantWD posted:

No one who would abide a second Trump term will care. Gillebrand's big challenge will be avoiding the Hillary 2.0 branding, that Trump will likely force on her. "Hillary didn't beat me, so they are sending her successor to try".

If a woman is the nominee, I think this is going to happen regardless.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Imagine a Bernie/Waters ticket with Pelosi as Speaker lol. Gonna get real deep in the line of succession.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I mean, we only need to win back 3 out of the 4 following states: Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania

I don't think the Blue Dog Caucus is a huge turnoff to voters in those states.

plus she's been a Good Dem for 10 years

10 years ain't nothing

(and even as a Bad Dem she had some pretty progressive positions on a bunch of things for the time)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine a Bernie/Waters ticket with Pelosi as Speaker lol. Gonna get real deep in the line of succession.

Orrin Hatch smiles. At long last, his master plan is nearly complete.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1060232591171817477

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1060237796835770368

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mcmagic posted:

Klobuchar/Beto 2020

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I’ve been saying for years that she would win any kind of presidential race. She is comically electable in Minnesota. She is not progressive, more center left/liberal and gets tons of legislation passed.

I don’t really want her to run but she’d probably win if she did.

E: also, lol at calling Minnesota Purple.

Klobuchar/Beto?

That would work I think. I'd picture that ticket pulling a ton of swing state voters not many others could.

That said, it's literally the day after the midterms so nothing said is worth too much merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

We do not need a president over 70, male or female.