Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyrosiris posted:

All HM weapons will get the 4x proc boost in all raids now.

As the owner of a max piercing/max total damage Murpagoth bow, I am ecstatic about this change.

Ooh, nice. I have a max Piercing and near-max Magic Piercing Murpagoth Warrior Staff, so this is great for me too.

Not sure which of Murpagoth and MSL is better if they're universal, though. Former is 9% physical and magical attack for 11 seconds, latter is 4.5% physical and magical damage for 20 seconds. Need to look at the damage formula, though I have a feeling the MSL one might win out.

Edit: Apparently attack% and damage% are multipliers with each other in the damage formula, and due to there being a lot more damage boosts and stuff, including some inherent ones, attack can be more valuable and have a bigger impact with the same multiplier, if this quick Google search I've done gave me accurate info. So Murpagoth might be better after all.

All I know is that it's definitely not Ancient Rune weapons that are best.

Edit again: Tangent, I've tried upgrading my staff from +9 to +10 several times and repeatedly failed, I think seven times now, and am so annoyed. I should have just used Peachy for this and would have saved so many resources, but it's hard to go and pay as much as it costs when upgrading to +10 is a 40% chance of success. It feels like it should still be pretty likely, and then... Yeah. Ugh. So much wasted onyx.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Items also have an Internal Cooldown, and I'm pretty sure the weapons have similar or same ICDs. This is very important because it will not have 100% uptime. Because of this, I think MSL actually wins out *specifically* because of uptime.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's definitely worth investigating. I don't have any MSL weapons to test with yet, though, so I guess I'll have to work on that. I've been wanting to do BeyondLink Tris and stuff anyway.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Looks like they've started opening up those 5x5 plots now. 75M recurring monthly rent to keep it. :lol:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cat on an apple posted:

Items also have an Internal Cooldown, and I'm pretty sure the weapons have similar or same ICDs. This is very important because it will not have 100% uptime. Because of this, I think MSL actually wins out *specifically* because of uptime.

Roland Jones posted:

That's definitely worth investigating. I don't have any MSL weapons to test with yet, though, so I guess I'll have to work on that. I've been wanting to do BeyondLink Tris and stuff anyway.

Follow-up on this, I managed to get a (really good) MSL Onyx Staff from my first run of BeyondLink Tris, and doing a quick test attacking my guild hall's training dummies, I started the timer for the Murpagoth staff when its ability first activated and kept up the attacks through its duration and downtime until it activated again, then did the same for the Onyx staff. For both, the time from the start of the first activation to the start of the second was about 25 seconds. Murpagoth ability is up for 11 seconds of that, Onyx ability for 20. I want to do some DPS tests at some point still (though while their bonus attributes are almost exactly the same, I'll need to upgrade the Onyx staff to +9 to get them about equal in attack power), but that does seem like a significant advantage for the MSL Onyx weapons. The 9% attack would need to be a major damage boost compared to the 4.5% damage for the former to be preferable.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Also trying to do Tris - do you know what this cheese is that pubbies keep asking for and then leaving our group when we inevitably fail due to their lack of explanation? Searching around on Google has turned up nothing substantial.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
All I know is you can run Tris two ways. In the second phase you clear adds as they show up, or just stack up on the left higher level and have a priest heal through the boss' big pulsing AOE attack he does after absorbing enough shades. If you have a party of 4 dps you just clear adds and get through it fast.

Also in the first phase it's quicker to just stick to whatever platform the actual boss is on and if you do enough damage he leaves and kills the adds.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

15>14>13>12>11>who cares

Always be piercing and never miss

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/37793/coming-soon-chaos-rising-update

Enjoy your climb to 4500 GS.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jesus crap. I thought I was doing well hitting 3700 yesterday by +10-ing my bow. :catstare:

I guess I need to start working on my chest and leg armor? But I haven't gotten any I would bother enchanting at all, so...

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007
Should i also get piercing as a priest? The only damaging stuff i use is Heaven's Light for the spirit replenish.

I have been stacking skill recovery bonus as it allows me to remove skill points from Heal Mastery to use somewhere else.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Evil Creature posted:

Should i also get piercing as a priest? The only damaging stuff i use is Heaven's Light for the spirit replenish.

I have been stacking skill recovery bonus as it allows me to remove skill points from Heal Mastery to use somewhere else.

What does your skill tree look like? Your dps isn't going to be wizard or assassin levels as a priest but you should be pumping out like 10-15k even as full support if your rotations are on point.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus crap. I thought I was doing well hitting 3700 yesterday by +10-ing my bow. :catstare:

I guess I need to start working on my chest and leg armor? But I haven't gotten any I would bother enchanting at all, so...

The majority of your gear score comes from your weapon, because the stats go exponential after +10. The difference between a +10 and a +12 weapon is nearly 400 GS. All purples and +12 weapon gets you to around 4400, and then you can just enchant one piece of armor until you hit 4500.

EDIT: The other thing is that Chaos Raids are timed, so the huge damage increases off of enchanting a weapon past +10 are kind of important for actually beating the boss.

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007

Saraiguma posted:

What does your skill tree look like? Your dps isn't going to be wizard or assassin levels as a priest but you should be pumping out like 10-15k even as full support if your rotations are on point.

That's the thing. There is no rotation. Someone's rear end is always on fire and in need of healing.

Right now i am trying this spec.

I really don't like to waste points on scepter mastery as i never use autoattack. It's already bad enough having to spend points on Scourging wave but Sanctuary is too good to not have.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Evil Creature posted:

That's the thing. There is no rotation. Someone's rear end is always on fire and in need of healing.

Right now i am trying this spec.

I really don't like to waste points on scepter mastery as i never use autoattack. It's already bad enough having to spend points on Scourging wave but Sanctuary is too good to not have.

Try something closer to this, Scourging wave is bad and can be completely ignored, most of your DPS comes from Holy Blast and Angelic Ray with Holy Symbol and Sanctuary for additional damage on stationary targets, there are definitely changes that could be made here to make it optimal (a smiting build or taking the points out of archon shield to max out angelic ray/scepter mastery) but this should be much more effective than what you're currently using. As for your allies between Angelic Ray and Celestial Blessings they should be topped off all the time, you can Healing Prayer if necessary but other than that they have potions and they need to not stand in mechanics.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Saraiguma posted:

Scourging wave is bad
This is incorrect unless everything you fight never moves and can't be knocked back or there is nobody around to allow you to reasonably use your dash to position. The double range is huge given that you are practically a melee class with no dash with holy blast. Case in point: it is much easier to actually do your damage in fire dragon with scourging wave since you can more easily land your hits in phase one and can sit in a safespot in phase 2 and spam attacks when he does fireballs....at the cost of slightly less damage per hit and the ability to do good damage during lasers. For more static bosses and adds that don't get knocked back, holy blast is an easy winner, but that's not everything you fight.

Of course this would all be a moot point if the dash wasn't complete garbage and did heal on land instead of locking on to heal

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Max celestial light hitting 3x does more damage than scourging wave

Scourging wave and smiting aura are not good for content. Smiting will be great for raids though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I've mostly been pulling my Priest inspiration from Maygi's priest guide and haven't had any problems.

If people need more than piggy heal (Celestial Blessings) on CD and the the occasional basic heal or healing from Sanctuary, they need to stop being bad.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lux Aeterna posted:

Max celestial light hitting 3x does more damage than scourging wave

It really doesn't though at least ignoring other sources of spirit drain blessing/guardian. The DoT doesn't stack, so the dot actually helps wave/blasts builds more than light builds. If you put in more than the minimum 3 points for relic, then wave pulls away a bit. It's a lot easier to play though since you never have to worry about spirit management, but it doesn't really do more pure damage. If it makes it easier to get more hits in either because of spirit management or because you jump cast a lot, then yes it will be more damage but if you root in place it's not really more damage. Then again if you're rooted in place, blast will do more damage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You know what would really kill gold sellers? Being able to sell cash shop items on the auction house.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm a big dumb nerd for being able to collect pets (installed the game and binged my priest to 50 to get pumpky and the strong piggy before the events ended :kimchi: ), so them's my priorities. Is there any significant mechanical difference between the different species of combat pets atm? I really love the contaminated gelime's little face and I want to sink enormous amounts of pretend money into making a good one.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

mushroom_spore posted:

I'm a big dumb nerd for being able to collect pets (installed the game and binged my priest to 50 to get pumpky and the strong piggy before the events ended :kimchi: ), so them's my priorities. Is there any significant mechanical difference between the different species of combat pets atm? I really love the contaminated gelime's little face and I want to sink enormous amounts of pretend money into making a good one.

There is no difference between anything. If you want to really care about pets, make sure to do your daily pet leveling by putting 4 fresh pets into a 5th fresh pet so that it's just shy of Level 2, and repeat until you've consumed all of your daily fusing bonuses. Then, when you have a pet that you want to level up all the way (for abilities - needs to be higher rarity pets) then you use those EXPed pets. This way, you're effectively carrying over daily bonuses and makes the leveling process significantly less tedious.

But be warned.. the pets are quite possibly one of the hardest corest poopest sockest grinds in the game, all for minimal gains.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I think that pet benefits are based on rarity, which is based on your pet skill mastery? Not sure. I also think that they have bonuses you can re-roll.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

a cat on an apple posted:

But be warned.. the pets are quite possibly one of the hardest corest poopest sockest grinds in the game, all for minimal gains.

Judging by the RNG involved in capture quality I figured this would probably be the case; it'll definitely be something I do casually on the side as a long-term goal. Thanks for the tips!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just run with the non-combat pig I got from the pet catching event quest.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
So with MG + LLJK being full, I present: MAKE ALTS GREAT AGAIN.
Tag your alts in here if you want.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What's the late/end game like? I'm 2 days in and having an excellent time, but I already have awesome flying and ground mounts and I'm afraid there's nothing to grind for.

I'm also unaware of probably 80% of the game and am level 32 haha

Edit:

App13 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 4, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TVDinna posted:

eat poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TVDinna posted:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As the new guild leader of MapleGoons I will announce that if you don't log in for more than 7 days I will kick you to make space for anyone else that might want to join. This has been unofficial policy but I thought I'd say something in the thread too.

Just reapply when you come back and if there's space we'll let you back in! Remember to say something in discord when you apply so we know you're not some rando

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My take-home message from side-quests is to never, ever, ever read the Storybook items if they drop. First the masks, then the story about the flying piggy, and now The Vanishing Girl. gently caress. Who thought adding those to an otherwise super cute game was a good idea?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

App13 posted:

What's the late/end game like? I'm 2 days in and having an excellent time, but I already have awesome flying and ground mounts and I'm afraid there's nothing to grind for.

I'm also unaware of probably 80% of the game and am level 32 haha

When you get to level 50 there's a set of soloable dungeons that open with guaranteed good gear and pretty rare great gear. You run those until you find (or can afford) the great gear, which qualifies you for Hard Dungeons. Those are 4-person only and are mainly big boss fights with several phases and gimmicks to learn. The gear from those is what you collect and re-roll and enchant up until you break the gear score requirement for Chaos Raids, which are 10-person dungeons being added to the game this Thursday. That's where everyone is right now.

So yeah, there's plenty to grind for if you're the raiding type. And if you're not, you can collect pets or do crafting or fish or perform or do exploration goals or trophy hunt.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Sundae posted:

My take-home message from side-quests is to never, ever, ever read the Storybook items if they drop. First the masks, then the story about the flying piggy, and now The Vanishing Girl. gently caress. Who thought adding those to an otherwise super cute game was a good idea?

Make sure to read the one about the baby gryphon don't do this

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So after a very minor amount of math, Jossar figured that if everyone in the goon guilds nominate a single persons house each day, they could break into the top 30 ranking very easily. So, I'm gonna take up the mantle of The Best Homeowner. Please nominate my house every day (you only get one per day), and feel free to visit. I started working on it today so all I have done is the exterior but so far I think it looks pretty nice

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

But why? Is there some reward/cheevo for getting into top 30?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Think you get your house on the top houses list. I say we should see which of us has the best house before we goonrush it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
gently caress the upgrading in this game, I shouldn't have 29 charges before hitting +12. I wouldn't mind so much if there were a reasonable way to grind up Onyx but aside from levelling up alts to feed your main it doesn't seem like there's any feasible way to do it.

There's a youtube video out where the devs take on the first Chaos Raid with minimal GS, and it looks... kind of boring, actually. Just a slightly beefier boss with a time limit on. The most interesting thing about it was how low the Gunner DPS was compared to every non-priest class there, but it might just have been a lovely Gunner.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Cryohazard posted:

gently caress the upgrading in this game, I shouldn't have 29 charges before hitting +12. I wouldn't mind so much if there were a reasonable way to grind up Onyx but aside from levelling up alts to feed your main it doesn't seem like there's any feasible way to do it.

There's a youtube video out where the devs take on the first Chaos Raid with minimal GS, and it looks... kind of boring, actually. Just a slightly beefier boss with a time limit on. The most interesting thing about it was how low the Gunner DPS was compared to every non-priest class there, but it might just have been a lovely Gunner.

are you using extra sacrificial items? you can have a minimum 30% chance from 11-15 it just costs extra items. Those extra items stop the onyx bleed also.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Extra items can't raise you above 30%, though, which is what it is base when trying to get to +11. Which is what I'm stuck at myself; out of onyx after repeated attempts to just get beyond +10. I've failed so many times, too. Sometimes you can just be super unlucky and fail over twice as many times as the percentage suggests you "should", like I have.

Not sure exactly how many failures I've had right now, though; moving has caused computer access issues due to unexpected problems at the new house.

Which is also why I wasn't on yesterday, fellow idgi people. Will hopefully sort the problems out this afternoon.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Roland Jones posted:

Extra items can't raise you above 30%, though, which is what it is base when trying to get to +11. Which is what I'm stuck at myself; out of onyx after repeated attempts to just get beyond +10. I've failed so many times, too. Not sure how many right now, because I can't use my computer at the place I just moved to, though.

Which is also why I wasn't on yesterday, fellow idgi people. Will hopefully sort the problems out this afternoon.

You can buy Onyx from the blackmarket if you want to burn mesos.