Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
*King Bottom (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

The Colonel posted:

i started replaying ace combat 3 and i forgot that like every news report at the beginning of the game is people saying "now that two massive megacorporations have literally destroyed the world's concept of countries and politics we are all hosed. in what ways are we hosed and why can't this be fixed? more at 11"

ace combat 3 is a heavy mood game

Does this emulate well at all? Been wanting to get into AC to check it out but last time I tried there were major issues

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

klapman posted:

Does this emulate well at all? Been wanting to get into AC to check it out but last time I tried there were major issues

i haven't had any problems playing it on mednafen/beetle psx, the only problems are with the game itself having pretty awkward analog controls and the fan translation being kind of badly edited and not translating any of the search menu stuff. it gets the story across fine but the dialog generally reads pretty awkwardly

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1060088327028654080?s=19

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope that new ace combat game (that I won't be able to play because I don't have a ps4) is good.
The Space elevator looks cool. Woah... is Ace Combat a prequel to G Reco?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

The Colonel posted:

i haven't had any problems playing it on mednafen/beetle psx, the only problems are with the game itself having pretty awkward analog controls and the fan translation being kind of badly edited and not translating any of the search menu stuff. it gets the story across fine but the dialog generally reads pretty awkwardly

I can probably live with that, from what you said it's the kind of story I'm hugely in the mood in. Thanks for the info.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I watched the first two episodes of Concrete Revolutio, liked it a lot, and then completely forgot to watch the rest.

It is a much better experience when you have someone who can point out a bunch of the references to you.

Thanks Droyer!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh yeah, speaking of Ace Combat I remembered what got me interested in trying it in the first place, someone did a recreation of one of the missions in Besiege, a building game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1TMRmkN6jA

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Woah, Besiege must have updated a bunch so you could now do stuff like that in it.
Lmao they even did the ground squads you only hear on the radio.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I hope that new ace combat game (that I won't be able to play because I don't have a ps4) is good.

it's a prequel to Galaga & Mr. Driller

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Snooze Cruise posted:

Woah, Besiege must have updated a bunch so you could now do stuff like that in it.
Lmao they even did the ground squads you only hear on the radio.

It's so impressive and gripping, even without context. A++ vid, I'm gonna go find AC 3 right this minute after rewatching it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I love the insane heartfelt final setpieces in Ace Combat games and I hope both Skies Unknown and Project Wingman have one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

Pretty sure the first computer game I beat was JumpStart Adventures 3rd Grade: Mystery Mountain, which was about a robot trying to save a bunch of his robot pals via playing a bunch of games. It had a really unique aesthetic for the time, and dor an Edutainment game, it was actually really fun. There's a reason Jumpstart never changed the 3rd grade version, whereas they changed the other grade versions fairly frequently.

I had this dubbed in swedish. the part at the end of every "episode" where you actually save the robot took like several minutes to load each time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

It is a much better experience when you have someone who can point out a bunch of the references to you.

Thanks Droyer!

Anytime, i love doing that kinda stuff

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Droyer posted:

I had this dubbed in swedish. the part at the end of every "episode" where you actually save the robot took like several minutes to load each time.

I-is this the secret origin of Droyer's love for robots :eek:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I liked robots before that game.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdVoZsW73gk

slaps

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I guess I have to re-evaluate Haruhi as it led to a mathematical breakthrough:

quote:

The argument, which covered series with any number of episodes, showed that for the 14-episode first season of Haruhi, viewers would have to watch at least 93,884,313,611 episodes to see all possible orderings. “Please look over [the proof] for any loopholes I might have missed,” the anonymous poster wrote.

quote:

For Haruhi fans, Egan’s construction gives explicit instructions for how to watch all possible orderings of season one in just 93,924,230,411 episodes.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/sci-fi-writer-greg-egan-and-anonymous-math-whiz-advance-permutation-problem-20181105/

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good job SOS Brigade :nyoron:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:3:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

the new ace combat is going to be final fantasy with jets by the looks of it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

the new ace combat is going to be final fantasy with jets by the looks of it
that's every ace combat

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

:thunk:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ex-delinquent yuri really is the best yuri.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1F4Pgp6fQ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:thunk:

:ohdear:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Endless Ninety-Four Billion

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Alright so when is the big stream of all 94 billion episodes gonna be

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who could it be? We may never know.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally, the other pole on the genius axis has been discovered:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm still waiting for a Del Toro anime.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 7, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

K. Flaps posted:

I don't think her parents should allow that in the living room.
lol a friend just sent this manga to me and when I got this page I had the weirdest deja vu

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What one is that?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3:

https://mangadex.org/title/31537

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh! It's by the Maiko-san author

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Knorth posted:

Oh! It's by the Maiko-san author

https://mangadex.org/chapter/266684/1

check out this one shot

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I randomly decided to watch Bokurano over a few weeks after discovering it was even a thing. Is it not rated highly because the mecha "action" is so slow or something? It didn't even enter my thought before I looked at the reviews/posts of when it was airing. It wasn't some incredible thought provoking masterpiece and some minor plot points were not explored What kind/what are the people who even set motion the entire thing but there were actually some pretty decent characterizations and character interaction. I even liked the Yakuza episode it had. I liked that there were no escaping the deaths, honestly. Very rare to see this sort of "depressing" show where the heroes can't escape their doom. Mind you I don't think that was the message.

I'm surprised that I had missed it because I like bullshit existentialism shows (like Rahxephon) because NGE was my gateway drug to anime and I thought I had watched all the mecha shows that had any sort of mildly interesting mysteries in them that were either fairly recent when I got into anime or were released after.

I know the scene wasn't extremely special or anything but something about the scene where the enemy mecha decides to commit a suicide was touching in such a simple manner since the pilots can't communicate with each other.

Edit: The biggest two things that were wtf to me in terms of portrayal were domestic violence by Jun and by the dad of one of the girls as it was literally played for laughs. And the attempted rape. What the Christ, show?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 8, 2018

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/jokanhiyou/status/1060351676798791681