Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Duckworth's only real strength over any other challenger is being a Democratic veteran and the last two decades of Presidential elections have shown that doesn't matter in the least despite what supposed experts think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

M4A is not happening any time soon no matter who we elect,

In politics, if you want to achieve a long-term, sweeping project that truly changes the system, you have to be willing to loudly demand it and fight for it. Saying "It's not happening any time soon" is a cop-out. No one thinks it's going to happen overnight. If Duckworth's not even willing to call for M4A, I don't see much of a reason to support her as the nominee.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1059989314518614017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Tammy Duckworth is not a great choice by any means. Realistically the only scenario I can imagine is Gillibrand paired off with someone like O'Rourke/Gillum, and even then only has a chance if she leans ALL the way to the left and not wuss out. Kamala Harris is a loving cop. Bernie/Maxine are just too old at this juncture.

Just not the time for black folks and other poc I see. I guess we should just wait our turns.

Whatever happens I'm not voting for a cis straight white man again. I'm not. I'm done. I refuse. I REFUSE!!!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Beto was so good for Texas, nationwide it was sad to see him lose, but he helped out a LOT on the State level.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Look guys Social Security is a good idea but it's just not happening anytime soon, what about tax credits for employers to incentivize market-based pension plans with matching federal contributions that are means-tested to retain a balanced federal budget. Maybe in a 100 years if Democrats win 99 seats in the Senate for a century straight we can talk about maybe twiddling with the incentive structure.

*Alf Landon wins in a blowout, implements making old people into sandwiches for the poor*

"Well just goes to show this radical Social Security idea was never possible in the first place, people just don't want it"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 7, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Beto was so good for Texas, nationwide it was sad to see him lose, but he helped out a LOT on the State level.

Yeah changing the legislature is a really big deal!

This is one of those wins we should be applauding.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Paradoxish posted:

This is actually kind of nonsense. A major shift in the American healthcare landscape like M4A is not something that's going to happen gradually. It's going to happen as a result of popular initiatives coinciding with major electoral gains, and ultimately it's going to require party leadership that doesn't try to actively slow down momentum. Part of the way to build that momentum in the first place is to have the people on top of your tickets loudly and visibly pushing these ideas into the mainstream.

We are not taking the Senate in 2020. That is simply not a valid avenue to plan for now. Can we win it by 2022? Maybe. 2024? sure. We are not shoving M4A down the throats of of the GOP led Senate. So unless you have a really good explanation on how a complete overhaul of the healthcare system will be passed, I do not think M4A is a valid disqualifier for President in 2020.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Koalas Massacre posted:

Just not the time for black folks and other poc I see. I guess we should just wait our turns.

Whatever happens I'm not voting for a cis straight white man again. I'm not. I'm done. I refuse. I REFUSE!!!

don't worry, the usual suspects will be along shortly to inform you why expecting your representatives to represent you is bad actually

team biden 2020 is going to die, but it is not going to die clean

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm personally just voting on Medicare for Some.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas Massacre posted:

so what you're saying is i should convince beto he's bisexual

that was already on the agenda anyway, tbf

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bernie would need a minority veep. Gillum or Abrams would be better picks.

nina turner would be the best pick

fight me

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dems gonna take the Senate in 2020.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Medicare for me only.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koalas Massacre posted:

p sure Gillum is black

Harris is a cop and ACAB

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

We are not taking the Senate in 2020. That is simply not a valid avenue to plan for now. Can we win it by 2022? Maybe. 2024? sure. We are not shoving M4A down the throats of of the GOP led Senate. So unless you have a really good explanation on how a complete overhaul of the healthcare system will be passed, I do not think M4A is a valid dis qualifier for President in 2020.

Again, no one is talking about M4A happening in the near future. It's only going to happen within our lifetimes if we all start demanding it now, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

don't worry, the usual suspects will be along shortly to inform you why expecting your representatives to represent you is bad actually

team biden 2020 is going to die, but it is not going to die clean

i'm not sure i've seen a single biden-2020 supporter on these here forums

Majorian posted:

Again, no one is talking about M4A happening in the near future. It's only going to happen within our lifetimes if we all start demanding it now, though.

I'm talking about m4a happening in the early 2020s :colbert:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Koalas Massacre posted:

Sad he lost, glad he ran

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/andreagrimes/status/1060194855878569985

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

Racist fiscally conservative Democrats going down in flames all over the country (despite economically progressive ballot initiatives passing in those same states) is only disturbing if we fail to learn the lesson this election is trying to teach us.

Is the lesson “gently caress Democrats who back Republican social policy” because I’m extremely here for that if so.

Like lol Donnelly gently caress you for throwing your Senate seat away to dogwhistle about immigrants.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas Massacre posted:

I hadn't heard about the school board win until last page and yeah, that is a very good thing. There were some outward racist rear end Rs in there before.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Another thing to be happy about in what I freely admit was a somewhat disappointing election night: state legislatures and officers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

nina turner would be the best pick

fight me

I read this as tina turner and was thinking, you know, controversial but ok

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Barbara Lee as Speaker into President imo.

Edit: Barbara Lee/Nina Turner 2020

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

WoodrowSkillson posted:

We are not taking the Senate in 2020. That is simply not a valid avenue to plan for now. Can we win it by 2022? Maybe. 2024? sure. We are not shoving M4A down the throats of of the GOP led Senate. So unless you have a really good explanation on how a complete overhaul of the healthcare system will be passed, I do not think M4A is a valid disqualifier for President in 2020.

You have literally no idea what the Senate or U.S. political landscape in general will look like in 2020. Even if we can't win in 2020, what good will it be if we take the Senate in 2022 and our own loving president refuses to support M4A?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

p sure Gillum is black

Harris is a cop and ACAB

Gillum is black and in the VP slot. Doesn't count dude come the gently caress on.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

so what you're saying is i should convince beto he's bisexual

that was already on the agenda anyway, tbf

That's the spirit!!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Is the lesson “gently caress Democrats who back Republican social policy” because I’m extremely here for that if so.

Like lol Donnelly gently caress you for throwing your Senate seat away to dogwhistle about immigrants.

The thing he did sucks but he was dead in the water regardless

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

he deserved to lose for that poo poo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm talking about m4a happening in the early 2020s :colbert:

Well great, I hope you're right! It's still only going to happen if the Democrats actually unite behind the idea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/snolen/status/1060251258274136070

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah i'm tentatively on board with both these proposals

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"We don't have any ideas and won't do anything" is a disqualifying message, actually

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

The thing he did sucks but he was dead in the water regardless

Wasn’t polling showing him as up/closer before?

Even so gently caress that guy lol.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If it can be sold to the American public and is popular, then a Republican Senate voting against it makes it a hell of a lot easier to win back the senate in 2022/2024. That's why you push for it. Get these ghouls on the record.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mahoning posted:

If it can be sold to the American public and is popular, then a Republican Senate voting against it makes it a hell of a lot easier to win back the senate in 2022/2024. That's why you push for it. Get these ghouls on the record.

And make your party's name synonymous with issue/suite of issues/platform.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is my favorite Tina Turner gif

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I'm trying to figure out what to do for North Carolina. I blew up last night in a post because the only positive thing that happened was our R super-majority in the state senate broke. Both houses are still R controlled with a D governor, so now if Cooper vetoes something, it stays dead.

Unfortunately, 4 of our 6 amendment proposals passed (protecting fish & wildlife, Marsey's law, 7% income tax cap, and voter ID). We already went through the voter ID crap before and it was struck down, but now we have more conservative judges and a more conservative Supreme Court. I know there were major victories elsewhere, but I'm too depressed about my state to celebrate.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

70% of Americans support M4A.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes.

The lesson is "trying to be racist-lite doesn't fool red-staters, and red state voters know what's in their economic self-interest because they vote for it if it shows up on the ballot so appeal to that or go the gently caress home"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

gently caress Indiana in general for putting me in a position where I had to vote Donnelly just so I didn't have to vote Braun (the libertarian candidate is in favor of doing away with minimum wage and uh, what? on that note)