Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
gently caress Jeff Sessions forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Somebody inform Lindsay that he didn't get his tongue deep enough in to get the job.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

snorch posted:

So if he's out then who's in?

Matt Whittaker, a Trump bagman now becomes acting Attorney General until Lindsay Graham is slammed through by Turtle McFucker.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Majorian posted:

Which is a bullshit claim, plain and simple. When M4A polls as well as it does across the board in the U.S., it's not going to poll badly in the Midwest.

The Democrats don't need someone who won't stand in the way of progress. They need someone who will champion it. At this point, Duckworth hasn't shown herself to be up to the task.

She has shown herself as being capable of winning. The field is not exactly full of the unicorns people want. Right now our choices are either too old (warren, sanders), too white (hillary, biden, also old af), too problematic (booker, avenatti (lol), or are young and unproven like Beto, Gillium, or AOC.

Who exactly are you going to find to do everything?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/13/us/sanders-medicare-for-all-plan-support.html Outdated but how many of these people do you see beating Trump in 2020, or are not tremendously flawed in a progressive lens otherwise like former cop Harris, DNA test taking old white person Warren, or another white male.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The 55 Trumpists in the Senate will confirm virtually anyone Dear Leader wants.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah how is she going to get anything done with that approval rating.

I mean, McConnell has been crippled by his rating being even lower than hers.
McConnell has shown a willingness to get things done that Pelosi lacks. He also isn't perennially saying stupid poo poo to piss off his base and depress turnout.

Give me the leftist version of McConnell and I'll take them over Pelosi, approval rating and all. We'll just have to be sure to send them to the gulag when the time comes.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Fired, not resigned. Trump requested his resignation.

That's not what I'm seeing. Source?

Edit: Resignation letter on last page, so definitely not fired.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sydin posted:

The lesson that needs to be taken away from McCaskill, Heitkamp, and Donnelly is that trying to walk a centrist blue-dog line isn't going to work because CHUD's will not cross the isle to vote for you because ultimately you still have a D next to your name, so all you're doing is throwing cold water on your actual base's enthusiasm.

:agreed: I do hope that, if the Dem leadership refuses to learn this lesson, left-Dems are prepared to seize power from them. Because that's going to be what it takes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jesus Christ people like one post after the resignation was announced they announced the replacement already

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Doesn't matter, it's still a resignation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GET hosed SESSIONS

His dream job, gone after barely a chance at all to kill any black people.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Re: Sessions

Hoo boy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Requesting his resignation is not the same as firing him, for purposes of replacement/confirmation.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Shiiiit. There goes Mueller.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Deteriorata posted:

Old people suck, except for the old people I like.

Barbara Lee is 72.

I know. I don’t care. :colbert:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

fishing with the fam posted:

That's not what I'm seeing. Source?

BBC news just sent me an alert that he resigned

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One highlight from last night

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Folks, buckle up. Trump is gunning for Mueller.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FuriousxGeorge posted:

By now its safe to say we are assuming all resignations are firing.
And that Trump hid somewhere after telling someone else to tell Sessions.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pumpinglemma posted:

Shiiiit. There goes Mueller.

It's too late. If this had happened a year ago or more, it might've worked.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

evilweasel posted:

Doesn't matter, it's still a resignation.

Sure, in the Kabuki sense.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2018

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
Oh holky gently caress.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She has shown herself as being capable of winning.

In her state, sure. That doesn't necessarily translate to winning the presidency - and she won't win the presidency, if she's not prepared to take bold progressive stances that inspire the base to turn out for her.

quote:

Right now our choices are either too old (warren, sanders), too white (hillary, biden, also old af), too problematic (booker, avenatti (lol), or are young and unproven like Beto, Gillium, or AOC.

"Too old" doesn't matter to me one iota, and it shouldn't matter to you or any right-thinking voter. We have a swiss cheese-brained senior citizen in the Oval Office right now, so the Dems running an older candidate is not going to somehow magically depress turnout. As long as Bernie picks a good VP, it really doesn't matter. And I say "Bernie," because he's easily the best chance the Dems have of beating Trump.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wait, if Trump fires Mueller now that the Democrats are taking the House that would seem to accomplish... exactly gently caress-all for Trump?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Didn't someone explain way back that acting AG can't fire Mueller, he'll need to be confirmed to take back the authority from Rosenstein?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Good thing you resigned from the senate to take that job, Sessions, you stupid loving racist bastard. gently caress you forever

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Majorian posted:

"Too old" doesn't matter to me one iota, and it shouldn't matter to you or any right-thinking voter. We have a swiss cheese-brained senior citizen in the Oval Office right now, and as long as Bernie or whoever picks a good VP, it really doesn't matter.
And do you think the swiss cheese-brained senior citizen in the Oval Office is handling things well?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I'd like to take a moment to thank whatever enterprising soul in missouri realized that we apparently support decent policies as long as they dont have D by them, which is how last night we got medical marijuana, raised the minimum wage, voted yes on redistricting and on limiting campaign contributions and somehow still elected Josh Hawley the actual goblin to senate

Metro East here, but yeah, this to me is proof that for MO anyway, even a guillotine leftist couldn't win because the "enlightened self-interest" chud vote is just too strong at this point. MO is a red state now, not a swing state, and we need to come to terms with that.

I'd say the Yes on the Zoo Tax vote is good, but the guy running the place now is an rear end in a top hat who runs it like an amusement park and renting it out to private rich guy parties and poo poo, so its actually just bullshit corporate welfare in practice in my mind.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

sean10mm posted:

Wait, if Trump fires Mueller now that the Democrats are taking the House that would seem to accomplish... exactly gently caress-all for Trump?

He doesn't care. He wanted to do something, he's going to do it, regardless of how loving moronic or self-detrimental it is.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

mdemone posted:

It's too late. If this had happened a year ago or more, it might've worked.

What the gently caress? Get your loving head out of the clouds.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

sean10mm posted:

All firing Mueller would do is that the Democrats would at minimum interview him extensively about the investigation and much more likely hire him as a special counsel to resume the investigation.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
wednesday afternoon massacre

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
(I hate this new thread because we are now doing hypothetical primary chat + actual breaking news chat instead of ham sandwich chat + actual breaking news chat)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Reik posted:

Didn't someone explain way back that Acting AG can't fire Mueller, he'll need to be confirmed to take back the authority from Rosenstein?

I think this is a DOJ guideline and therefore subject to being ignored. Would be happy to be wrong about that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gort posted:

So, Sessions is fired, Mueller gets fired by the new guy?

Presumably Trump has seen the writing on the wall and is going for a coup, 'cause it's that or prison?

As I understand it, the House can just reinstate him in January.

A coup is impossible. The FBI hates him, most military officers outside of the Marines hate him, the Secret Service hates him and will turn around and take him into custody. Being a repulsive person has drawbacks.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Watergate speed run back on folks!

Dude is lashing out like a cornered rat. Did he really not plan to lose the House? Is he that delusional?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

"Too old" doesn't matter to me one iota, and it shouldn't matter to you or any right-thinking voter. We have a swiss cheese-brained senior citizen in the Oval Office right now, and as long as Bernie or whoever picks a good VP, it really doesn't matter.
Last i checked, there's like a 40% chance of Bernie getting severe dementia during his time in office. That actually matters a lot

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She has shown herself as being capable of winning. The field is not exactly full of the unicorns people want. Right now our choices are either too old (warren, sanders), too white (hillary, biden, also old af), too problematic (booker, avenatti (lol), or are young and unproven like Beto, Gillium, or AOC.

Who exactly are you going to find to do everything?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/13/us/sanders-medicare-for-all-plan-support.html Outdated but how many of these people do you see beating Trump in 2020, or are not tremendously flawed in a progressive lens otherwise like former cop Harris, DNA test taking old white person Warren, or another white male.

Wow where else are we going to find a Democrat capable of winning in Illinois, real strong resume right there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Sure, in the Kabuki sense.

In the sense of the Vacancies Reform Act it's a resignation, not a firing. For purposes of the media, yes he was fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

even worse, her asian half is not han chinese

i'm always a bit dubious of these theories, but i guess if anywhere's going to do that successfully it's illinois. Got an article about that?

The sticking point is that most of it goes back to Rahm sticking his hands into drat near everything, with Duckworth being just one consequence of his efforts to drag the party right at every level. A few snippets:

https://abc7.com/archive/8554043/
https://theweek.com/articles/700846/democrats-stop-listening-rahm-emanuel

I didn't keep anything on hand that's as definitive as I'd like and you'd probably be better off asking Illinois goons about it.

(Some of the referred links in the articles are dead, so fleshing this out is kind of a nuisance.)

Edit: hot drat did I come back to something spicy or what