Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Welp glad we got to enjoy the house victories for.. :checks watch: ... .... about 16 hours before chaos reigned again :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sky Shadowing posted:

More likely they're hoping to burn all the work Mueller did so the Dems have to start all over again and it takes until the next election to determine anything.

I'm pretty sure Mueller has access to copying technology.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sky Shadowing posted:

More likely they're hoping to burn all the work Mueller did so the Dems have to start all over again and it takes until the next election to determine anything.

Or they're going to refuse House subpoenas on grounds of executive privilege and hope the Supreme Court agrees with them. Which is unfortunately likely now.
You think Mueller is stupid enough to not have a bunch of failsafes?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

Do you guys seriously think Mueller has not considered this scenario and doesn't have a plan for it?

yeah seriously, the guy could have been shuttled off so many times before.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

But the key states will probably be some combination of NH (4), NM (5), NV (6), IA (6), CO (9), WI (10), IN (11), VA (13), NC (15), MI (16), OH (18), PA (20), & FL (29). I would suggest TX (38) and GA (16) as states that potentially get talked about, but that's "Death of the Republican Party" talk. In reality, only 5 of these states should actually 'matter' on election night - Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina & Michigan. This list might be pretty different in 2 years, but those would be your 'core' swing states. FL, PA, and OH have been the swing state trifecta for 20 years now, while North Carolina was a pick-up by Obama and Michigan was a pick-up by Trump. That's all there really is to say about the 2020 presidential election until we get closer, though.

Wisconsin is much more important than Ohio. If Dems take back Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania while losing Ohio (and don't lose any Clinton states) they win and that's their easiest path to the White House.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sky Shadowing posted:

Or they're going to refuse House subpoenas on grounds of executive privilege and hope the Supreme Court agrees with them. Which is unfortunately likely now.

it is not likely now

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

I’ve been saying that dems gaining subpoena power is the most important outcome of the election and this is why.

Trump is 100% shook

Trump is shook but it's not like Trump can't just order people to ignore subpoenas

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

great, pitch that case to the man currently doing the obstruction. oh, he didn't approve you to bring charges?

Last time that happened we got Deep Throat though, so wooo speedrun!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I fully loving expect a 5pm drop about subpoenas or indictments.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

Nah, they'll assign him to head the CFPB via the vacancies act, since he won't resign.

Didn't he already offer to resign at least once before?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eke out posted:

the regulation matters, we know this because Matthew Whitaker is already on record speculating how you kill the probe without violating that regulation

https://twitter.com/johnkruzel/status/1060262252480290817

this is 100% why he was chosen, just like Brett "Presidents can't be prosecuted" Kavanaugh

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

(Trump hangs up phone after firing Mueller)

(Opens drawer to get a tootsie roll for a job well done)

(Instead he finds a tape recorder)

Mueller: “Hello, Donald.”

(Saw theme starts playing)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it is not likely now

This depends on what you think John Roberts is, at his core.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So Trump did this to replace sessions with someone to end Mueller's investigation before the new house is sworn in, right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mdemone posted:

:pray:

lets fuckin hope so

don jr first, then roger stone

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

You think Mueller is stupid enough to not have a bunch of failsafes?

Like, not even high tech spy stuff, just the whole idea republicans can come physically burn the one paper muller wrote on or something is really funny. Nothing works like that. 3rd graders write their story about sonic the hedgehog in redundantly backed up docs in 2018.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spaced God posted:

So Trump did this to replace sessions with someone to end Mueller's investigation before the new house is sworn in, right?

Not how that works

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

yeah seriously, the guy could have been shuttled off so many times before.

Just because it can be planned for doesn’t mean it can be 100% mitigated. Classified or privileged information is an easy example of something that runs real risks up to criminal charges if it was leaked, even to Congress.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

mdemone posted:

This would make for one of the craziest 24 hours I could imagine in politics.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mdemone posted:

This depends on what you think John Roberts is, at his core.

John Roberts would think far enough ahead to consider if this would prevent loving with future Democratic presidents.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Trump is shook as hell and he is lashing out because he hates Sessions. I doubt he's thought more past attempting to change the news cycle from the Dem wave.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1060266854571225089

lol can't wait to see what this ethics waiver looks like

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

brockan posted:

Didn't he already offer to resign at least once before?

They tried to resign him like 3-4 months ago, don't you remember? One day, the white house said "we've accepted the resignation of Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein", and then Rod Rosenstein was like "the hell you have", and the white house had to eat crow because Kelly was sure that little TWERP got the message, but the little twerp just said "I understand" and had no intention of providing that resignation letter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spaced God posted:

Yes.

Hell, the House could appoint him special prosecutor, giving the DOJ a reason to take him off the case... and then fire him. What do they care they're leaving anyway

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait. Is this a good or bad thing?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Trump is shook as hell and he is lashing out because he hates Sessions. I doubt he's thought more past attempting to change the news cycle from the Dem wave.

This is a rare time that him trying to change the conversation feels like it backfired. It seems to just stress that he's shook and the dem wave is scaring him.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, not even high tech spy stuff, just the whole idea republicans can come physically burn the one paper muller wrote on or something is really funny. Nothing works like that. 3rd graders write their story about sonic the hedgehog in redundantly backed up docs in 2018.

Recall that Trump appears to think Hillary physically poured bleach on a piece of server hardware to delete emails

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Yes.

Hell, the House could appoint him special prosecutor, giving the DOJ a reason to take him off the case... and then fire him. What do they care they're leaving anyway

i don't believe they can do this

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
Can someone explain how funds/property previously seized by the special council is used at a government level?

Does the special council have any access to Manafort's seized assets for self-funding or is it something that just becomes property of the government?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

well it turns out publicly musing about strangling an independent organization might not make you fit to 9versee it so you have to recuse...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

there is plenty of ethics poo poo that might force him to recuse himself if the rage is loud enough. plus there are still some sane GOP Ghouls in the senate during the lame duck.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sky Shadowing posted:

Then you subpoena the conservative majority and they can't rule on something that effects themselves

:thunk:

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
am I wrong that gillum winning handily in the polls and then underperforming bill nelson (!) is some bradley effect poo poo

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

Do you guys seriously think Mueller has not considered this scenario and doesn't have a plan for it?

I mean, there's always the chance that he's a Good Republican Soldier and was just waiting for an opportunity to get his God-King off the hook without breaking some personal moral code.

You'd have to be an idiot to bet on that chance, but as they say in the vernacular, "lol we live in hellworld."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is a rare time that him trying to change the conversation feels like it backfired. It seems to just stress that he's shook and the dem wave is scaring him.

what does it matter, we are literally as far away from an election that this could affect as we possibly could be short of him doing this at midnight last night

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Mostly really loving stupid, especially now that the Democrats are taking the House, because at this point any attempt to bury what Mueller is investigating is doomed to fail hilariously.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sane GOP Ghouls

saner maybe

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pollyanna posted:

It's a stupid thing for Trump to do, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SousaphoneColossus posted:

am I wrong that gillum winning handily in the polls and then underperforming bill nelson (!) is some bradley effect poo poo

nelson was also not part of an fbi corruption investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sky Shadowing posted:

More likely they're hoping to burn all the work Mueller did so the Dems have to start all over again and it takes until the next election to determine anything..
This. This is a HUGE problem most are not taking seriously. This is probably the BIGGEST problem? Does anyone see a way around it?

Trump could just burn all of Mueller's records and documents. Just hiding a copy somewhere won't work. You can't use mystery secret copies in a court. How if at all could Mueller protect his actual papers? Just starting back up in January is not enough if he has lost all the evidence he has of crimes.

Could he pass it off to New York State prospecutors as part of a joint investigation.or something?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 7, 2018