Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Z. Autobahn posted:

I'm seeing people tweeting about Rosenstein also being removed? Anyone confirm this?

They didn't fire him but there's not much reason to, since Rosenstein was only in charge due to Sessions being recused. As soon as an AG shows up who doesn't recuse himself Rosenstein goes back to just being the deputy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So will there be a new Trump thread?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Holy shitfuck. :stonklol:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

corn in the bible posted:

They didn't fire him but there's not much reason to, since Rosenstein was only in charge due to Sessions being recused. As soon as an AG shows up who doesn't recuse himself Rosenstein goes back to just being the deputy

sure but can't the acting dude fire mueller or "starve" him out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

So will there be a new Trump thread?

sorry, buddy, you're locked in here with us

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What actual papers? is it 1882? Do you think there is literally one page he writes on with a quill?
A prosecutor won't be able to use any record in a court if they can't prove when and how it was made. Copies of documents Mueller hides on a USB in his boot can't be used in a court, or at least not easily.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy shitfuck. :stonklol:
Sessions resigning or Mueller about to get fired?
What is even going on.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Diogines posted:

A prosecutor won't be able to use any record in a court if they can't prove when and how it was made. Copies of documents Mueller hides on a USB in his boot can't be used in a court, or at least not easily.

So all they have to do is say he can't access them any more and that's it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1060262517316845568

https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker46/status/894363989962100736

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Diogines posted:

A prosecution won't be able to use any record in a court if they can't prove when and how it was made. Copies of documents Mueller hides on a USB in his boot can't be used in a court, or at least not easily.
... what do you think happens to grand jury testimony and those sealed indictments if Mueller is fired?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bottom Liner posted:

You think Mueller is stupid enough to not have a bunch of failsafes?
Guy's the former head of the FBI, not James Bond. I'd expect him to be solid on making sure people he flips can't recant, that he shows up with solid evidence and that all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed. Does he have a dead-man-trigger if the president of the united states decides to halt his investigation? I mean, he might, or he might just follow the "rules" and let them dump the whole thing into a shredder.

E: Also hit me up on twitter @HarikMCO if you're the guy I'm thinking of in orlando.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay so the answer to the VRA question is that Whitaker is a GS-15 that has served more than 90 days, making him eligible

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can't this horrible rear end in a top hat give us one day of peace without his complete garbage?

I was having a good day and now Trump is just "lol, time to do a soft coup." For gently caress sakes man.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

sorry, buddy, you're locked in here with us

Seriously though, a divided house cannot stand. the left and the center need to work out their poo poo before 2020, and it mostly involves the center getting up and moving left. We unfortunately don't have a blue naked man to obliterate the rorschachs of our timeline.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

okay so the answer to the VRA question is that Whitaker is a GS-15 that has served more than 90 days, making him eligible

the hell are you doing posting actual useful information in here? especially now?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but can't the acting dude fire mueller or "starve" him out.

Oh. Yeah, obviously, if he wants to. But that doesn't mean that Rod Rosenstein gets to have a say in it anymore

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I am sure defeated, Trump-piss-soaked Republican Congressman Ryan Costello will now call for this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Diogines posted:

As far as I know DOJ officers could just recite all the stuff from memory and it could be admissible as evidence in court because they're DOJ officers.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tibalt posted:

... what do you think happens to grand jury testimony and those sealed indictments if Mueller is fired?

I would imagine delivered to the ranking Republican committee member, who then promptly loses it, only for the backup to be declared a fake and a Democratic plot to take over the country from its rightful Russian rulers.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So once Mueller is fired and the Senate goes into fully-self-debasing boot-licker mode for Strong Orange Daddy, I’m guessing it’s an open, consequences-less 24/7 crime spree for the billionaires in the country?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

almost certainly not sufficiently for the president to clearly and flagrantly violate the explicit letter of the law and go "lol i dictator now"

Where have you been the last two years? Trump will do what he wants and never face consequences for it, except possibly by losing reelection if Democrats can figure out how to campaign between now and 2020. This is dumb and infuriating but it also ultimately isn’t that important.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

So all they have to do is say he can't access them any more and that's it?
Very possibly, yes?

Tibalt posted:

Does anyone besides Mueller's office have them? If so, burn them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

Technically this appears to not be the case due to the "acting" but it may get ignored.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Diogines posted:

I mean, he's the former head of the FBI with a bunch of ultra top people, at least one of them probably knows what a file hash is or something to verify some documents were unaltered.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sulphagnist posted:

As far as I know DOJ officers could just recite all the stuff from memory and it could be admissible as evidence in court because they're DOJ officers.
Possibly, but that is way too many documents for anyone to memorize

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

First effect of Jefferson Beleaguered Sessions's resignation:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1060268342047580161

:weed::weed::weed:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Diogines posted:

Very possibly, yes?

Does anyone besides Mueller's office have them? If so, burn them.

Grand Jury testimony, while sealed, is a court record and can't just be burned that easily.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God help us...

https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker46/status/7202374605

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DandyLion posted:

I would imagine delivered to the ranking Republican committee member, who then promptly loses it, only for the backup to be declared a fake and a Democratic plot to take over the country from its rightful Russian rulers.

If we're talking about how the Republicans will just spin poo poo away, that is going to happen regardless of whether a Mueller report is published or not.

It's also possible that there never was gonna be a Mueller report and the indictments and the prosecutions are the "report."

Diogines posted:

Possibly, but that is way too many documents for anyone to memorize

The point was that DOJ officers get special dispensation and could, in fact, have an off-site backup to refer to and it would be totally fine.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

eke out posted:

yeah things don't work the way you think

my question is what technicality allows this, since i assume something does

Isn’t it because he’s appointed as ‘acting’ so he’s only filling in until someone who’s passed confirmation takes over?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
correction to previously quoted tweet: https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1060271131406540803
(Mariotti's usually a good follow for this stuff, apologies for signs of hope)

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 7, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Literally the last piece of news I heard was Trump's conference where he was saying he had no plans to fire anyone and now this happens

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tibalt posted:

Some stooge takes over the investigation and either finishes unwinding it and burying the evidence or they turn it around and use it to investigate and discredit anti-trump accusers.

No reason to assume they’ll be illegally leaked.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Remember, if Mueller gets fired, there are plans for large scale same-day or next-day protests.

Be prepared!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Looks like we are gonna be testing my hypothesis that Mueller has a dead man’s switch.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Rosenstein en route to the White House at this moment.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lote posted:

Looks like we are gonna be testing my hypothesis that Mueller has a dead man’s switch.

It is entirely possible that Mueller can finish up his task by the end of the week. If there was anything coming down the pipe, this would likely force it out ASAP.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

squirrelzipper posted:

Isn’t it because he’s appointed as ‘acting’ so he’s only filling in until someone who’s passed confirmation takes over?

nah that's not it, i posted above.

the VRA's provision for letting a GS-15 serve is obviously meant to let high ranking career civil servants fill in for the job. They just realized there's a good workaround because chiefs of staff and poo poo happen to also be GS-15s.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr_Moose posted:

Can someone explain how funds/property previously seized by the special council is used at a government level?

Does the special council have any access to Manafort's seized assets for self-funding or is it something that just becomes property of the government?

That would lead to massive conflicts of interest, I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

On the books that’s a crime.