Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Grand Jury testimony, while sealed, is a court record and can't just be burned that easily.

what if donald trump sends the border patrol in to forcibly take physical control of the court building

bet you didn't think of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Remember, if Mueller gets fired, there are plans for large scale same-day or next-day protests.

Be prepared!

I am going to be pleasantly surprised if there are actually going to be large-scale breaking-into-the-news protests if Mueller gets fired. I always feel like this is a #resistance myth that will never actually materialize because people just don't care that much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should have used Dairy Queen, I hear they're good for u know what

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kidkissinger posted:

Literally the last piece of news I heard was Trump's conference where he was saying he had no plans to fire anyone and now this happens

He didn't, Kelly fired him, so he's your totally truthful perfect baby boy president big pants, suck it Libtards!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I can a brilliant plan.

First, we fire the special prosecutor. Then, in contravention of standard practices, we burn all their records. Then, when Schiff calls on Mueller to testify on what he found, we claim it's fake news. Then, then they subpoena us, we refuse. Then, when the Supreme Court rules against us, we call it fake news again. Then, when Congress charges us with Contempt, Trump pardons us. Then, when they pass articles of impeachment, we call it fake news a third time and force the Senate to have a very public trial.

Like I said, BRILLIANT!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Literally the last piece of news I heard was Trump's conference where he was saying he had no plans to fire anyone and now this happens

Wait, you're saying that Trump blatantly lied about something? :monocle:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Technically he didn't fire anyone.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I was pretty sure it was assumed that the Mueller was sharing evidence with the NY AG.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tibalt posted:

I can a brilliant plan.

First, we fire the special prosecutor. Then, in contravention of standard practices, we burn all their records. Then, when Schiff calls on Mueller to testify on what he found, we claim it's fake news. Then, then they subpoena us, we refuse. Then, when the Supreme Court rules against us, we call it fake news again. Then, when Congress charges us with Contempt, Trump pardons us. Then, when they pass articles of impeachment, we call it fake news a third time and force the Senate to have a very public trial.

Like I said, BRILLIANT!

Uh, hello sir, welcome to Hellworld. Is this your first time here?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tibalt posted:

I can a brilliant plan.

Like I said, BRILLIANT!

and the beauty of it is, in the winter, the senate simply freezes to death

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rinkles posted:

That would lead to massive conflicts of interest, I'd think.

It’s pretty common at the state level. Lots of police departments and local DA offices get to keep any money or items they accuse of a crime (and since it is the item and not you being accused they get to take it first and you have to sue to get it back).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I'm Mueller, which I'm not, all of my files are in an encrypted archive in WaPo's Dropbox and I call them with the password at the first sign of fuckery

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

If you're freaking out over Sessions and the impact it'll have on Mueller, read this and take some deep breaths.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1060265349009022977

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

canepazzo posted:

First effect of Jefferson Beleaguered Sessions's resignation:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1060268342047580161

:weed::weed::weed:

An acquaintance of mine with GOP connections on the Hill seems to believe, in his libertarian brain, that this is the plan:

1) wait until the midterms to make sure the Senate is safely in GOP hands
2) Sessions resigns and Graham gets appointed in his place easily
3) Graham does AG things to move towards pot legalization
4) ???
5) black people and young people now vote republican forever

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BREAKING

https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker46/status/601371359998906368

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

Wait, you're saying that Trump blatantly lied about something? :monocle:

I just figured it would be more than a two-hour delay but fair enough I guess. He also was contradicting statements he made at the start of the press conference by the end of it I guess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If I'm Mueller, which I'm not, all of my files are in an encrypted archive in WaPo's Dropbox and I call them with the password at the first sign of fuckery

Mueller is thought to have been sharing his investigation with the NY AG, which is a lot more likely.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Spaced God posted:

So Trump did this to replace sessions with someone to end Mueller's investigation before the new house is sworn in, right?

Up until now, I think he thought populism would keep him safe. But the Democrats winning the House made him poo poo himself. Whether it's really feasible, the possibility in his mind of Senate Republicans turning on him has him scared, and he has to do something about Mueller now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

that's exactly what mueller would say

well, actually, what he would say is that he's not commenting on whether he's robert mueller

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I can a brilliant plan.

Like I said, BRILLIANT!

Big flaw in the plan is SOCTUS rules in your favor and it all unravels.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

on the bright side, there's no reason to fire Rosenstein, a loyal republican appointee no longer in a problematic position

bright side for Rod, I mean

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Mueller is thought to have been sharing his investigation with the NY AG, which is a lot more likely.

also NJ to a lesser degree

eke out posted:

on the bright side, there's no reason to fire Rosenstein, a loyal republican appointee no longer in a problematic position

bright side for Rod, I mean

he's still going to beg for his life and tell donald how big his hands are, though

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sulphagnist posted:

I am going to be pleasantly surprised if there are actually going to be large-scale breaking-into-the-news protests if Mueller gets fired. I always feel like this is a #resistance myth that will never actually materialize because people just don't care that much.

I mean, there are over 400,000 signed up to participate if it happens, in over 900 locations across the country. Whether those people show up or not, who knows, but the infrastructure/planning is there.

https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response-events/search/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hahaha, holy poo poo America, it just never stops

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ripoff posted:

So once Mueller is fired and the Senate goes into fully-self-debasing boot-licker mode for Strong Orange Daddy, I’m guessing it’s an open, consequences-less 24/7 crime spree for the billionaires in the country?

It wasn't already?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lycus posted:

Up until now, I think he thought populism would keep him safe. But the Democrats winning the House made him poo poo himself. Whether it's really feasible, the possibility in his mind of Senate Republicans turning on him has him scared, and he has to do something about Mueller now.

My feeling is that he's wanted to shut this investigation down since it began, he'd been stopped by Republicans worried about the midterms, and now that those are over he's as far from the next election as he can be so what better time to provoke a constitutional crisis? You've got two whole years to change the subject.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Ugh, he mined for bitcoin didn't he?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Please Mueller do everything you can to save your poo poo fedex it all to your uncle or slip parts to your interns or give it all to the caravan I dunno just something ok :pray:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao, the Acting Attorney General is a loving gamer and would be twitch streamer

A fresh new hell

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cochise posted:

Ugh, he mined for bitcoin didn't he?

the first attorney general to have probably lost thousands of dollars investing in BTC

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Big flaw in the plan is SOCTUS rules in your favor and it all unravels.

even if we assume Beer, Gorsuch, Alito, and Roberts all say "lol no the president can't be subpoenaed" (which I am dubious of for various reasons depending on Justice - for one thing, Alito never met a subpoena he thought was too broad or a police power he thought was fascist enough), Thomas was part of the majority on Clinton v Jones and I trust his particular flavor of insanity to be consistent and not influenced by such things as "consequences"

edit: don't get me wrong, we're officially on the train to crazytown, but I don't think SCOTUS blocking subpoenas of the president is a remotely likely failure state and in general i'm pretty optimistic for the next season or two's wacky hijinks

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I for one am relieved sweet centrist old lady Nancy Pelosi intends to work with the Totally Normal and Reasonable Republican Party

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Can the House of Representatives appoint an independent prosecutor?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I’m not American so I don’t know but is the timing of this to try and squash poo poo before the new Congress seats so that if they subpoena muellers files the DoJ can just say ‘oh whoops we closed that investigation and deleted all that poo poo, sorry!’?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo America, it just never stops

I take half a day off from paying attention and Sessions gets fired? Cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

even if we assume Beer, Gorsuch, Alito, and Roberts all say "lol no the president can't be subpoenaed" (which I am dubious of for various reasons depending on Justice - for one thing, Alito never met a subpoena he thought was too broad or a police power he thought was fascist enough), Thomas was part of the majority on Clinton v Jones and I trust his particular flavor of insanity to be consistent and not influenced by such things as "consequences"

edit: don't get me wrong, we're officially on the train to crazytown, but I don't think SCOTUS blocking subpoenas of the president is a remotely likely failure state and in general i'm pretty optimistic for the next season or two's wacky hijinks

Unfortunately, Ginsburg will finally keel over by then

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mueller will be humiliatingly fired and the entire contents of his investigation will be leaked to mock him for finding nothing!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao, the Acting Attorney General is a loving gamer and would be twitch streamer

A fresh new hell
I don't believe in all his policies, but this is an important victory for gamer representation in the media.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

squirrelzipper posted:

I’m not American so I don’t know but is the timing of this to try and squash poo poo before the new Congress seats so that if they subpoena muellers files the DoJ can just say ‘oh whoops we closed that investigation and deleted all that poo poo, sorry!’?

Unlikely. The most likely reason is simply that Republicans made him wait until after the midterms because they were concerned it would hurt them. The midterms are over, so Trump is now doing what he always wanted to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Does Pelosi do press conferences where I can stand in front of a mic and ask her why she thinks moving to the center is a winning plan