Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I for one am relieved sweet centrist old lady Nancy Pelosi intends to work with the Totally Normal and Reasonable Republican Party

nancy pelosi is Good* and if that's your takeaway from what she's been saying you're actively looking for reasons she's Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Imho this is a much more pressing area of concern than whether or not Mueller is safe

https://twitter.com/gina_lolz/status/1060025820855590912

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I for one am relieved sweet centrist old lady Nancy Pelosi intends to work with the Totally Normal and Reasonable Republican Party

Can we stop with this poo poo for the Nth time?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
New acting AG:

https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker46/status/894363989962100736

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tibalt posted:

I can a brilliant plan.

First, we fire the special prosecutor. Then, in contravention of standard practices, we burn all their records. Then, when Schiff calls on Mueller to testify on what he found, we claim it's fake news. Then, then they subpoena us, we refuse. Then, when the Supreme Court rules against us, we call it fake news again. Then, when Congress charges us with Contempt, Trump pardons us. Then, when they pass articles of impeachment, we call it fake news a third time and force the Senate to have a very public trial.

Like I said, BRILLIANT!

he didn't have a tape recorder in his pocket. his, his word against the president.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Sulphagnist posted:

I am going to be pleasantly surprised if there are actually going to be large-scale breaking-into-the-news protests if Mueller gets fired. I always feel like this is a #resistance myth that will never actually materialize because people just don't care that much.

If the original Muslim Ban is any indication, these kinds of major snap decisions can definitely trigger people to hit the streets in numbers. This particular scenario has the advantage of a plan already in place courtesy of orgs like MoveOn.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cheetah7071 posted:

Unfortunately, Ginsburg will finally keel over by then

well yes i'll grant that a potential nightmare timeline is the one where Sotomayor tries to keep up with Ginsburg's workout routine and dies from the exertion

please retroactively qualify everything I'm saying with "CURRENT scotus"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

My feeling is that he's wanted to shut this investigation down since it began, he'd been stopped by Republicans worried about the midterms, and now that those are over he's as far from the next election as he can be so what better time to provoke a constitutional crisis? You've got two whole years to change the subject.

Two whole years? What are you talking about, the midterms were, what, like 6 months ago?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Diogines posted:

A prosecutor won't be able to use any record in a court if they can't prove when and how it was made. Copies of documents Mueller hides on a USB in his boot can't be used in a court, or at least not easily.

You have no idea what you're talking about and I am embarrassed for you

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao, the Acting Attorney General is a loving gamer and would be twitch streamer

A fresh new hell

Looks like he does crossfit also. ughh

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

mdemone posted:

This depends on what you think John Roberts is, at his core.

lizard person?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I also like how you all believe the Wednesday morning Jeff Sessions firing is some carefully laid out master plan that WON'T immediately go to poo poo and become a huge mess.

I mean

Have you been paying attention to this White House?

I expect we'll find out that the supposed new AG isn't a US citizen within 48 hours.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

nancy pelosi is Good* and if that's your takeaway from what she's been saying you're actively looking for reasons she's Bad
She is obviously quite bad; you can tell from the things she's been saying.

skylined! posted:

No.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

even if we assume Beer, Gorsuch, Alito, and Roberts all say "lol no the president can't be subpoenaed" (which I am dubious of for various reasons depending on Justice - for one thing, Alito never met a subpoena he thought was too broad or a police power he thought was fascist enough), Thomas was part of the majority on Clinton v Jones and I trust his particular flavor of insanity to be consistent and not influenced by such things as "consequences"

And I don’t have this unwavering faith in Thomas and anyone’s model of his decision making.

Besides, they don’t have to rule that the President can’t be supoenaed they just have to rule that the matters at hand are privileged and can’t be subpoenaed if the President says so.

This court has shown multiple times a willingness to create insane bullshit reasons (see the VRA) to get their activist result. It seems increasingly likely they will do so again if needed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

skylined! posted:

welcome to New USPOL, it'll never stop :getin:

Trabisnikof posted:

And I don’t have this unwavering faith in Thomas and anyone’s model of his decision making.

Besides, they don’t have to rule that the President can’t be supoenaed they just have to rule that the matters at hand are privileged and can’t be subpoenaed if the President says so.

This court has shown multiple times a willingness to create insane bullshit reasons (see the VRA) to get their activist result. It seems increasingly likely they will do so again if needed.

i disagree with your general conclusion but you raise a moderately interesting specific hypothesis re: very specific subcategories of subpoena

i'll bear that in mind as they come up

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

skylined! posted:

from your mouth to her ears

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tibalt posted:

I also like how you all believe the Wednesday morning Jeff Sessions firing is some carefully laid out master plan that WON'T immediately go to poo poo and become a huge mess.

I mean

I expect we'll find out that the supposed new AG isn't a US citizen within 48 hours.

No one has even heard of this dude until now. Where the gently caress did he come from? How old is he? How much experience in law does he even have?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Dems might take NJ-03 after all:
https://twitter.com/amysrosenberg/status/1060272129277652992
If this is right, Chris Smith in NJ-04 will be only NJ republican left in office on a national level.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

This is the price we pay for the thread merger. The Dems are bad forever and ever now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

She is obviously quite bad; you can tell from the things she's been saying.

what things, precisely

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This time the Democrats are totally gonna kick the football guys!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

To confirm: Because Sessions resigned, trump can just appoint anyone without senate approval, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I mean

Conversely you’d have to be willfully ignorant to pretend this won’t have negative consequences for the investigation into Trump.

There’s almost this attitude that hiring a PI would be just as effective as the Special Counsel’s investigation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Unfortunately, Ginsburg will finally keel over by then

Well really if you think about it Trump's already won because death eventually comes for all things

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A poorly conceived snap hiring decision is why Mueller was assigned in the first place.

This feels less thought out than the Comey firing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

A poorly conceived snap hiring decision is why Mueller was assigned in the first place.

This feels less thought out than the Comey firing.

he got senate republicans on board ahead of time

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Making your AG resign for unspecified reasons mere hours after a midterm going the other direction for you are surely the actions of an innocent man.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1060264768383135744?s=19
Oh boy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

evilweasel posted:

what things, precisely

'we should work to unfuck the county as much as possible and also committee leaders are in charge of their committees' doesn't quite sound like what these idiots are trying to say it sounds like.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well really if you think about it Trump's already won because death eventually comes for all things

Thomas will retire if his best bud RBG dies or retires.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

KS Gov monkey paw curls

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

No one has even heard of this dude until now. Where the gently caress did he come from? How old is he? How much experience in law does he even have?

Well apparently he’s big into overclocking his PC and he wrote some stuff about Trump=good so he’s qualified...

...according to mango maurader.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spaced God posted:

To confirm: Because Sessions resigned, trump can just appoint anyone without senate approval, right?

No. Trump can appoint someone who has been previously Senate confirmed for anything other thing w/o a new confirmation. Someone who has not been senate confirmed for any other thing would need to go through confirmation.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Spaced God posted:

Temporarily

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

'we should work to unfuck the county as much as possible and also committee leaders are in charge of their committees' doesn't quite sound like what these idiots are trying to say it sounds like.

oh i know they're being idiots, i just want to see what statement precisely they're being idiots about

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just gently caress everything. I hate him so goddamn much

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about and I am embarrassed for you

we need to ask the right questions, like [joinder joke here, im sorry im tired i can't]

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Graham is gonna be real pissed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

2004-2009 USAG for the southern district of... Iowa

2009-2014 ???, probably lawyering
2014-2017 managing partner of a law firm and also executive director of that place investigating Hillary Clinton for Everything

also under no circumstances google his 2004 picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TulliusCicero posted:

He wrote an article about how mueller was totes bad