Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Yuns posted:

... I believe slamming is legal to slam out of a sub but is otherwise illegal. So that last takedown would have been legal even if it were a slam. I wouldn't consider any of those true slams though...

Throwing has a "thud" but there's no intended damage to the head or spine. That video earlier looked like a good ol' suplex to me.

When I think "slam", I imagine someone dead-lifting an opponent from half guard or pulling off a pile driver. Someone is usually on the ground.

Most collegiate wrestling I've watched has been mainly throws and take-downs from standing positions similar to judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember the first time I got an ezekiel I basically dumb-hosed my way into by accident because I already had the arm around the back of the neck and was like "what if I make a little lever here with the other hand across his neck"

I discovered the ezekiel when a guy was doing it to me, in a tournament. He was in my closed guard and trying to crush my throat, but I thought "ah, fool, you cannot submit me from within closed guard!" Then he really put it on and I tapped.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I learned them my third class. One of the black belts pulled me aside during the free rolls after and said 'jiu jitsu is way more fun when you know a submission or two' so she taught me how to do all the ezekiel variants and the baseball choke.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

We spent the class on 2 on 1 russians today because of ADCC trials. I believe slamming is legal to slam out of a sub but is otherwise illegal. So that last takedown would have been legal even if it were a slam. I wouldn't consider any of those true slams though. All seemed relatively controlled (well maybe not the last one).

The last one is the one I was curious about. In an IBJJF context, what's the difference between that and the standard no-no of slamming a dude going for a triangle?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Why is it I can go to class and hit foot sweeps all day (including getting one on my instructor today!) but then I go to competition and I freeze like a deer in the headlights?? :(

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I read somewhere that if you pick somebody up, pause in midair, and then drop them, it's probably going to be called a slam. If there's no pause you'll probably get away with it. That's not in the IBJJF rulebook or anything but it's a good rule of thumb with regards to the perception of referees.

I have no idea with regards to the actual IBJJF rules, they're like indecipherable runes scrawled on a cursed tomb in a dead language

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Why is it I can go to class and hit foot sweeps all day (including getting one on my instructor today!) but then I go to competition and I freeze like a deer in the headlights?? :(

Probably thinking too much (at all).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Competing is something that should be done regularly to get good at it. Its a very different environment than your regular training, including spectators and higher stakes. Its just a different sort of practice.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I read somewhere that if you pick somebody up, pause in midair, and then drop them, it's probably going to be called a slam. If there's no pause you'll probably get away with it. That's not in the IBJJF rulebook or anything but it's a good rule of thumb with regards to the perception of referees.

I have no idea with regards to the actual IBJJF rules, they're like indecipherable runes scrawled on a cursed tomb in a dead language

eh, I competed a bunch under IBJJF rules and it was always really more about whatever the ref felt like that day than any kind of reasoned enforcement. I’d like to think it’s better at the bigger tournaments but I’m not really interested in participating in anything to do with the IBBJF anymore

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Probably more to do with if you're applying extra force to get them down. If you lower them down or they fall / drop off you it's not really a slam, but if you're actively muscling them down at speed it's going to be pretty obvious.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Defenestrategy posted:

The last one is the one I was curious about. In an IBJJF context, what's the difference between that and the standard no-no of slamming a dude going for a triangle?
In an IBJJF context, that last one would definitely be a DQ. He was getting guillotined and lifted him over his head, paused and brought him down to the mat to force his way out of the guillotine. ADCC rules would be fine. I personally would only regard it as a slam if he was bringing him down hard on his head/neck/shoulders.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey I hit two Ezekiels tonight. Both on white belts, scared of the choke I think but still, nice to hit them.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Competing is something that should be done regularly to get good at it. Its a very different environment than your regular training, including spectators and higher stakes. Its just a different sort of practice.

I have an in house tournament on the 17th and then I will do the Tap Cancer Out event in Dec. But yeah I gotta keep competing.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Went to practice today with the goal of trying nothing but “fun” poo poo. Force choke, Vader choke, bro grip arm at, sneaky side control baseball bat choke. Got 1-2 more taps per 7 minute roll than usual as my training partners have apparently become conditioned to my normal kimura/Ezekiel from everywhere attempts.

Long story short, fun/dumb as hell stuff is fun and hopefully keeps them guessing in the future!

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"One continuous motion in a takedown is not a slam" is how it's always been explained at a local (non-IBJJF) tournament. Unofficial standard or not, you can still find YouTube compilations of "slam" disqualifications that are just regular big takedowns or the gentlest guard jump shucks imaginable.

I once got a "win" via slam DQ against a guy who got frustrated he couldn't advance past side control and picked me up two inches before dropping me. I didn't even realize what had happened until the ref called it because the "slam" felt like sweet relief at the time.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It's takedown week at my school this week, my body HATES me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

JaySB posted:

I've been doing Judo classes at the gym and every time I wake up the next day feeling like a sore board of wood. There is this former wrestling guy who doesn't seem to get that randori is meant to be "40%" and immediately hard shoots for takedowns and whatever. I finally got tired of it and caught him in a waist lock and lifted him off his feet as if to just suplex him. I didn't, but I think he got the message.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Triangle question.

We ask know Ryan Hall's method of getting the angle, and doing a leg press instead of squeezing the thighs together. I do this, it works well.

But I often feel like I could get more power. When I press, I'm not really pressing against anything. My other leg, a bit. I can pull uke's trapped arm across his body and brace against that, a bit. But I usually get the finish in a sort of suspended position, almost in the middle of a sweep. I don't like to finish from mount, so I find myself pressing my leg, but not so much it pushes uke over. Doesn't seem optimal.

Any suggestions?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Count Roland posted:

Triangle question.

We ask know Ryan Hall's method of getting the angle, and doing a leg press instead of squeezing the thighs together. I do this, it works well.

But I often feel like I could get more power. When I press, I'm not really pressing against anything. My other leg, a bit. I can pull uke's trapped arm across his body and brace against that, a bit. But I usually get the finish in a sort of suspended position, almost in the middle of a sweep. I don't like to finish from mount, so I find myself pressing my leg, but not so much it pushes uke over. Doesn't seem optimal.

Any suggestions?

I've got a similar question/issue with a gogoplata. I feel like I should be reinforcing my shin more.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Triangle question.

Any suggestions?

Squeeze the thighs, pull the head, flare your top leg out, leave an arm in collar.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Every Tuesday and Saturday at our school, and while my body always is in pain, its my hands and toes that take a particular beating on those days.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
My toes get destroyed during rolling, it feels like 3 of them are sprained right now

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

Triangle question.

Any suggestions?

Press against the other leg which needs to be curling in with the same force. I found this lachlan vid pretty helpful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwbdB_6_ys

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Arm triangles best triangles qtiyd

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JaySB posted:

Every week is takedown week :hai:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Arm triangles best triangles qtiyd

ooohhh yeah

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We threw a guy out of class today for having multiple possible staph infections on his body. He was rolling with a bandage and was asked to show what was under it and it was an infection. He also had multiple infected spots across his chest. He was ordered to leave class. Do not cover up your God drat infection and come in to train.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

We threw a guy out of class today for having multiple possible staph infections on his body. He was rolling with a bandage and was asked to show what was under it and it was an infection. He also had multiple infected spots across his chest. He was ordered to leave class. Do not cover up your God drat infection and come in to train.

:barf:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Count Roland posted:

Triangle question.

Any suggestions?
I've never watched Ryan Hall's instructional so I can't discuss his method but I can tell you mine.

Your legs won't be squeezing. Your spine will be perpendicular to his spine so you will press with the choking leg and pull in with the other leg so that your legs are scissoring closed.

Positionally you should be looking in his ear hole with the crook of your knee just around/barely above that ear level. His trapped arm should be across and the front of his trapped arm shoulder should be covered by your leg so that your triangle is locked at the shoulder not behind the shoulder so you don't have to choke his entire upper torso. Use your arm to underhook his leg so he can't pick you up and your angle stays perpendicular. If you can't underhook his leg, underhook his free arm and pull it in. Now turn your hips just slightly so your butt points at your opponent very slightly and the front of your hips start to face in the same direction as your opponent.

You can now drive into the press with your choking leg and pull in the other leg by bringing your knee to you. Not sure if this is correct but you can also pull your heel down of the nonchoking leg while you pull the knee in to aid it and tighten it up as well. If you need to you can also pull in the head with your one free arm.

That's how I execute my triangles.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 7, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Dear God. This is how people end up in the hospital.

My coach kicked someone out of class a few weeks back because his Gi smelled like death. Washing your Gi after every class should just become habit.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Yuns posted:

I've never watched Ryan Hall's instructional so I can't discuss his method but I can tell you mine.

Your legs won't be squeezing. Your spine will be perpendicular to his spine so you will press with the choking leg and pull in with the other leg so that your legs are scissoring closed.

Positionally you should be looking in his ear hole with the crook of your knee just around/barely above that ear level. His trapped arm should be across and the front of his trapped arm shoulder should be covered by your leg so that your triangle is locked at the shoulder not behind the shoulder so you don't have to choke his entire upper torso. Use your arm to underhook his leg so he can't pick you up and your angle stays perpendicular. If you can't underhook his leg, underhook his free arm and pull it in. Now turn your hips just slightly so your butt points at your opponent very slightly and the front of your hips start to face in the same direction as your opponent.

You can now drive into the press with your choking leg and pull in the other leg by bringing your knee to you. Not sure if this is correct but you can also pull your heel down of the nonchoking leg while you pull the knee in to aid it and tighten it up as well. If you need to you can also pull in the head with your one free arm.

That's how I execute my triangles.

this is pretty much what Ryan Hall and Lachlan Giles teach

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yuns posted:

What the gently caress

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yuns posted:

Threw him out until he gets better or threw him out for good?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I had a guy that I worked with that would work on his farm all day on our off days and then come in to roll without taking a shower first

John you stinky motherfucker

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

mariooncrack posted:

Threw him out until he gets better or threw him out for good?
Threw him out until he gets better. He's welcome to return once the infection clears. We'll chalk this up to ignorance rather than malice. However, when he returns, I'm not sure how many people are going to want to roll with him. If he pulls that poo poo again, he won't be welcome.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Partner farted in my face today which is fun

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stinkiest dudes I roll with usually stink of weed and thats cool with me

Yuns posted:

Threw him out until he gets better. He's welcome to return once the infection clears. We'll chalk this up to ignorance rather than malice. However, when he returns, I'm not sure how many people are going to want to roll with him. If he pulls that poo poo again, he won't be welcome.

How long has he been there?

I mean, I am a dumb newbie and even if I didn't know about MRSA risks I still feel like "giant open sores" is a warning sign to perhaps not rub up against another dude

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How long has he been there?

I mean, I am a dumb newbie and even if I didn't know about MRSA risks I still feel like "giant open sores" is a warning sign to perhaps not rub up against another dude
He's been there perhaps a few months - less than a year.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That would infuriate me. My son missed the IBJJF tournament because someone came in with a skin infection and gave it to him.

It cost me 200 bucks. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

It cost me 200 bucks. :mad:

That's a cheap hitman