Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

evilweasel posted:

yeah, and you'd need to be a loving idiot to think nancy pelosi is a bipartisan decorum person. during the obama years she was always the much more hard-nosed no compromises dem leader, got the house to pass all sorts of liberal stuff that didn't pass the senate, and successfully denied republicans support on innumerable occasions by keeping her caucus united

like when you're bleeting that nancy pelosi is too bipartisan and interested in decorum you're so far into idiot fantasyland that you're not someone who can be reasoned with. the only way you could possibly get to such a stupid idea is if you'd internalized the republican "pelosi bad! woman! bad!" message but somehow missed that she was attacked as being much too liberal. every attack on her in the democratic caucus in the House comes from the right

Pelosi tut-tutted Maxine Waters over the latter telling people to rightfully make GOP officials uncomfortable in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

does anyone honestly think that trump has any sense of the legal jeopardy he's in from Mueller, or that he has the intelligence to execute a convoluted plan to stop Mueller? he governs by impulse. that's pretty much his only driving motivation.

He's not in any legal jeopardy since presidents can't be indicted. Impeachment and removal are political processes, not legal ones.

He's also not in political jeopardy. The GOP Senate doesn't have to act if The House impeaches Trump, and even if they did, there is no scenario where two-thirds of the Senate votes to convict.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect here, but it seems that the Republicans can pack the Supreme Court starting in January if they hold together. Theoretically, Trump could nominate 30 new Justices, a few GOP senators would balk, the rest vote to nominate, the court arbitrarily decides the constitution allows for Trump to be dictator, the actual text of the document be damned.

Alternatively, maybe we do have a nominal 2020 election, but not a free and fair one. With voter suppression and other means of cheating, even 2018 was fishy in some areas, like GA, FL, ND, much of Texas.

What about these scenarios seems implausible?

Also, is there a thread for exploring options to expatriate from the US?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

Or, you know, you remember her letting her caucus vote to keep Trump's government open when the Republican-controlled house couldn't get its poo poo together. When DACA was on the line.

sometimes we just have to make Reasonable Sacrifices (tm)

*sacrificereasonabilityismeasuredindirectproportiontohowitmightaffectcomfortablewhitecollarprofessionals*

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It's been a day and I'm already convinced that combining the succdem thread with the Trump thread will go down as the biggest mod mistake in d&d history.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1060277899763351560

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theCalamity posted:

Pelosi tut-tutted Maxine Waters over the latter telling people to rightfully make GOP officials uncomfortable in public.

that's pretty easy to understand, that pelosi as a widely disliked politician has a vested personal interest in that not becoming a norm. because it'll happen to her too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TulliusCicero posted:

The Special Boy has a very Special brain :downs:

Hello, I'm still very behind on this thread, but please don't do this, thanks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it is instead a voluntary contribution to better the community :ussr:

The kulaks are hoarding their dog memes. They must receive swift punishment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

friendly 2 da void posted:

Imho this is a much more pressing area of concern than whether or not Mueller is safe

https://twitter.com/gina_lolz/status/1060025820855590912

Good god. I have to know.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Armack posted:

He's not in any legal jeopardy since presidents can't be indicted. Impeachment and removal are political processes, not legal ones.

He's also not in political jeopardy. The GOP Senate doesn't have to act if The House impeaches Trump, and even if they did, there is no scenario where two-thirds of the Senate votes to convict.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect here, but it seems that the Republicans can pack the Supreme Court starting in January if they hold together. Theoretically, Trump could nominate 30 new Justices, a few GOP senators would balk, the rest vote to nominate, the court arbitrarily decides the constitution allows for Trump to be dictator, the actual text of the document be damned.

you're incorrect for a variety of reasons, including assuming facts that aren't decided (indictment of potus), claiming that the Senate could refuse to hold a trial after a president has been impeached by the house (it's not optional), and your entire hypo about packing the court is wrong because the size is set by statute and not determined by the president

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 7, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

that's pretty easy to understand, that pelosi as a widely disliked politician has a vested personal interest in that not becoming a norm. because it'll happen to her too.

That's a pretty cowardly excuse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

sometimes we just have to make Reasonable Sacrifices (tm)

*sacrificereasonabilityismeasuredindirectproportiontohowitmightaffectcomfortablewhitecollarprofessionals*

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Armack posted:

Alternatively, maybe we do have a nominal 2020 election, but not a free and fair one. With voter suppression and other means of cheating, even 2018 was fishy in some areas, like GA, FL, ND, much of Texas.

the number of supreme court seats is set by legislation, the democratic house is unlikely to agree to expand the supreme court

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's been a day and I'm already convinced that combining the succdem thread with the Trump thread will go down as the biggest mod mistake in d&d history.

r guyovich tried it once

inexplicably, he reverted it after a couple days

i informed lightning knight of this well before the current thread, as an interesting historical curiosity

edit: i wish to note that snark aside i am somewhat interested in how this experiment works out after it survives the initial bumps / if it survives the initial bumps / if the initial bumps ever end

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 7, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

:laffo: There's a whole lotta projection going on in this post.

So refusing to learn a goddamn thing and screaming its everyone else's fault when you fail in the primary it is. I see you aren't intending to seize anything.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

you're incorrect

You should explain why.

I don't mean this in that I disagree with you, I am genuinely curious.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Agreed. There's very little in this thread worth engaging with. I think I'll visit elsewhere for a while.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

evilweasel posted:

It already happens to her despite her saying that. It’s useless :decorum: she would’ve been better off not saying anything

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while i think Schumer is Bad, this specifically is a perfectly acceptable take from minority leader

sets up "and then they didn't, which is bad"

"excellent," says the lib. "Another excellent opportunity to OWN the republicans by their own logic!"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress

everyone talking about kemp being a vote stealing scumbag who wipes servers is discounting the more likely scenario, that he and his IT team are just absurdly incompetent

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Armack posted:

You are extremely incorrect lol.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Armack posted:

Are these the kinds of posts were going to have to get used to seeing now that the good and bad threads were combined?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

You should explain why.

I don't mean this in that I disagree with you, I am genuinely curious.

yeah i edited it shortly after

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

It’s like he’s an animatronic clown at a lovely county fair that can only saw the same four lines on a loop.

Pull the plug.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

So refusing to learn a goddamn thing

Hey, Fulchrum? Hate to break it to you, but last night was a really, really bad showing for your preferred strategy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress

Maybe next time the folks in Georgia will think twice about voting against Kemp!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

theCalamity posted:

It already happens to her despite her saying that. It’s useless :decorum: she would’ve been better off not saying anything

Has it occurred to you that you might not be the only audience she is talking to at any given time?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress

brian kemp might have to win a runoff and eventually has to run for reelection so he's taking no chances. vote for kemp or he publishes your information for all the neonazis to see

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1060284522518994944?s=19

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theCalamity posted:

So did Sanders. And yet, for some reason, the "DEMS R BAAAAAAD!" posters in this thread aren't attacking him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

classic Peter Carr

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1060283895797682176

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

r guyovich tried it once

i informed lightning knight of this well before the current thread, as an interesting historical curiosity

LK was nervously handwringing and groveling to suck zone within two days of being modded, it's tragicomic

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xae posted:

Has it occurred to you that you might not be the only audience she is talking to at any given time?

Who was that for, then?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Good god. I have to know.

Most definitely some sort of "wanna come back to my room and celebrate"

Fuckin creep

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

evilweasel posted:

you mean after working to shut down the government over DACA and keep the caucus together, and then recognizing reality when that was backfiring on democrats? DACA was no longer "on the line" at that point, democrats had lost.
The vote to shut down the government came from the Senate, not the House. And the optics of senate Democrats filibustering a budget down are very different from those of a house controlled by Republicans - with a large majority - failing to pass one. There was a chance, and she refused to take it. But hey, at least she did the right thing all those other times during Trump's presidency, like

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

r guyovich tried it once

You guys spend so much time posting about posting and complaining that [x discussion] is occurring instead of just not engaging with posters you don't wish to argue with. It's crazy!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are these the kinds of posts were going to have to get used to seeing now that the good and bad threads were combined?

Like this. Stop it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

Hey, Fulchrum? Hate to break it to you, but last night was a really, really bad showing for your preferred strategy.

which races, specifically, would you say validated your strategy?

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

evilweasel posted:

the number of supreme court seats is set by legislation, the democratic house is unlikely to agree to expand the supreme court

Ah okay that is a relief, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xae posted:

pray a little harder, friend. surely, the mistake for the last thirty-six years has not been genuflecting to the Reasonable Republican, Who Art In Panera, quite hard enough.