Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Yudo posted:

Wait, perhaps I misread something but people will buy DDR3/DDR3 platforms? I would love to sell off my current Haswell platform for Ryzen as more threads would be great for some of the work I do.

I went looking for a Devil's Canyon part to see if any deals were to be had but even the humble 4770k was $300 or so on Ebay. I assumed those prices were just optimistic and reflected a less than vigorous market.

I for sure have to sell a 970. That should not be hard. Maxwell was halcyon days.

Yes, though that many generations back youre well beyond the used price curve they are still worth more than they aught to be. $300 for a 4770k is plain ridiculous and nobody bought that but you can probably get $200 towards a new setup with an average haswell motherboard, cpu, and say 8gb of ram. Making a lot of assumptions there but it has value, whether or not its enough for you to make the jump is up to your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

Yes, though that many generations back youre well beyond the used price curve they are still worth more than they aught to be. $300 for a 4770k is plain ridiculous and nobody bought that but you can probably get $200 towards a new setup with an average haswell motherboard, cpu, and say 8gb of ram. Making a lot of assumptions there but it has value, whether or not its enough for you to make the jump is up to your situation.

Good to know; thanks. I guess if I hold onto it for another year it can always be repurposed to do something else that may have more value to me than a $200 discount on a new PC.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
A little home NAS for all your...movies...is always a popular option for an old-but-functional rig.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

DrDork posted:

A little home NAS for all your...movies...is always a popular option for an old-but-functional rig.

+1 on this.

I have a NAS running an AMD E450 which is fine for storage but nowhere near enough to transcode, so I picked up a complete Gigabyte BRIX for $200 with a 4570R, 16G DDR3, and a 240G EVO 840. It was a screaming deal as those parts separate alone could have gone for $400+ at the time.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yudo posted:

Good to know; thanks. I guess if I hold onto it for another year it can always be repurposed to do something else that may have more value to me than a $200 discount on a new PC.

I feel this way sometimes by default but I'll ask myself "if what I want to buy went on sale for $200 less would I immediately buy it?" and if the answer is yes then that generally gives me the kick in the pants to get it done. I've never regretted it. That also weeds out all the piddly things like I'm not going to react the same way if it was say, $35 less, which likely means I wont even bother selling whatever thing that was with haste. If selling something is really meant to fund something else I find it helps to think of it this way.

The funny thing is you'll probably get near as much for a haswell setup a year from now than you will today so there's definitely no rush for that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in awe at the size of this infinity fabric bridge

absolute unit

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So I learned two things tonight. One is that when I thought were artifacts were the background design of the BIOS menu. Event logs show that my windows artifacts were my drivers taking a major dump that sorted out on my reboot. Flashing my bios did fix my issues with my logitech headset needing to be plugged in and out so that was a bonus.

Also My case's metal is so flimsy that I had to push in the back of the case to give the video card a place to put a screw in to keep it seated properly. My motherboard isn't fully flush with the I/O shield. I will be glad to ditch this Air 540 tomorrow.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

absolute unit

Wait what the hell is this?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

VelociBacon posted:

AMD announced Rome (zen2) today was in sampling and that it's 64c/128t with a 14nm IO chip and 8 7nm chiplets with zen2 cores

They also announced a 7nm datacenter gpu with 32 gb of hbm2 and pcie 4.0 support. Supposedly the hbm2 has 1 tb/s of bandwidth

Zen2 obviously also has pcie 4.0 support

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 7, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MagusDraco posted:

AMD announced Rome (zen2) today was in sampling and that it's 64c/128t with a 14nm IO chip and 8 7nm chiplets with zen2 cores

They also announced a 7nm datacenter gpu with 32 gb of hbm2 and pcie 4.0 support. Supposedly the hbm2 has 1 tb/s of bandwidth

Zen2 obviously also has pcie 4.0 support

That, that sounds kinda cool...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

did you get your card yet?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Turns out micro center did have new poo poo in stock, they just don’t update the site.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

afkmacro posted:

Turns out micro center did have new poo poo in stock, they just don’t update the site.

I would, uh, read the reviews of that board before you open it.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

I would, uh, read the reviews of that board before you open it.

I don't want to poo poo up the thread with my personal stuff too much, I know some people are probably tired of my posting but if you have a review worth reading please PM me, I haven't found any terrible reviews yet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

afkmacro posted:

I don't want to poo poo up the thread with my personal stuff too much, I know some people are probably tired of my posting but if you have a review worth reading please PM me, I haven't found any terrible reviews yet.

Feel free to poo poo away because other people will read it and it will help them.

The ASUS boards are being criticised for not having as much VRM phases as previously thought or something. You can watch a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I

It will likely not bother you too much at all anyways TBH unless you're really pushing the overclocking limits of your chip.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Does that apply to the Rog Strix -E as well? Because that's the upper-middle level board which you'd expect to have great-but-not-awesome VRM.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

afkmacro posted:

That board has a 4 phase CPU power supply, instead of the claimed 8 phase. This will directly impact how much you can overclock, and since you bought a K CPU, I was making the assumption you were planning to.

Breakdown video of this specific board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I. The Intel CPU thread has a discussion about it on page 489.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EoRaptor posted:

That board has a 4 phase CPU power supply, instead of the claimed 8 phase. This will directly impact how much you can overclock, and since you bought a K CPU, I was making the assumption you were planning to.

Breakdown video of this specific board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I. The Intel CPU thread has a discussion about it on page 489.

what actual effect on overclocking? Instability when pushing a LN2 OC but fine on an average consumers 5.3ghz?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

absolute unit

On the one hand: Jesus, did they just take four PCIE connectors and put 8x fingers on the other side of the board?!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know how I would turn off the big honkin' green NVIDIA led on my PNY RTX 2080? I downloaded the standalone "NVidia LED Visualizer" app and it says no supported cards found.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone know how I would turn off the big honkin' green NVIDIA led on my PNY RTX 2080? I downloaded the standalone "NVidia LED Visualizer" app and it says no supported cards found.

its reference im assuming? It doesnt support RTX and the ones that do are on a per card basis. I would email PNY directly or you may need to electrical tape it from the back

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 7, 2018

Yudo
May 15, 2003

There has to be an option to turn that poo poo off on the regular nvidia game center deal. I know that is how it works with the less sophisticated EVGA cards.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
electrical tape is so good for this purpose because if you use the quality stuff (3m 33+ / 88) there's no residue either when you want to remove it. clutch as gently caress

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

did you get your card yet?

Nope.

eames
May 9, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Actually the Maximus series has a four phase, the Strix has a three phase VRM as confirmed by elmor, ex-Asus OC employee.

https://www.overclock.net/#/topics/0?postid=27701810

Ignore that, I was wrong; that’s the itx version.

He quit his job a few days ago and wrote this open letter last year:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/6atydw/open_but_personal_letter_to_the_pc_components/

eames fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 7, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Didnt you order it in the summer

I would consider raising a stink about it at this point

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

Didnt you order it in the summer

I would consider raising a stink about it at this point

August 20th but the ETA at that time was the last week of October. The outlet themselves have no idea when they'll get the cards in, they're not hearing anything from EVGA so I'm guessing it's a matter of EVGA trying to make American consumers happy before Canadian consumers because it's easier to ship in the country.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Oh. If you're Canadian just call them and apologize for not receiving it yet :shrug:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

Oh. If you're Canadian just call them and apologize for not receiving it yet :shrug:

Yeah I already have had a couple phone calls with them that is essentially me apologizing for bothering them for an update and them apologizing for not having any information from EVGA.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

EoRaptor posted:

Sorry to derail the GPU thread more but FWIW everything I've seen on reddit has completely overblown the VRM poo poo. Yes it can potentially have impacts on OC, but in practicality it won't unless you're pushing LN2 Extreme overclocks.
The worst thing about it is that they run hotter than other True 8 Phase VRM setups which can have impacts on lifespan of the board. (Probably negligible?)
The only real issue with the VRM setup is that you potentially overpaid for a fake 8 Phase and that ASUS lied about it, it has little to no impact on performance in realistic settings. It might even be better than other "true" 8 phases! who knows.

All the discourse about the 9 series in general has me confused because everyone just assumes that they're built to OC as easily as everything in the previous generations which is untrue. These things @ stock run hotter and use up more power than anything else before it and are already practically at their limits in terms of overclocking potential anyway. At best you'll probably get 5-5.1 Ghz stable but anything else will require a crazy setup / delidding / die lapping.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

electrical tape is so good for this purpose because if you use the quality stuff (3m 33+ / 88) there's no residue either when you want to remove it. clutch as gently caress

I have a roll of black gaffer tape for covering up all the various LED at my bedroom desk and it works great with no residue. I guess I can tape across the entire "Nvidia" on the side of the card, but the LEDs will still be lit up and probably leaking light out the side where I can't mask it. I emailed PNY to see if they have any ideas.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I have a roll of black gaffer tape for covering up all the various LED at my bedroom desk and it works great with no residue. I guess I can tape across the entire "Nvidia" on the side of the card, but the LEDs will still be lit up and probably leaking light out the side where I can't mask it. I emailed PNY to see if they have any ideas.

reported for stealing a $60 roll of gaff tape from your employer!!!!!!!!!!!!

(unplug your led header?)

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 7, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

reported for stealing a $60 roll of gaff tape from your employer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually stole it from the moron AV guys we contracted for an event... they owe me for putting up with their poo poo. They blew out the power breaker on our floor twice because they didn't know how to measure the wattage they were pulling from the wall for lighting. If only they had my GPU-measuring Kill-A-Watt skills that wouldn't have happened.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I actually stole it from the moron AV guys we contracted for an event... they owe me for putting up with their poo poo. They blew out the power breaker on our floor twice because they didn't know how to measure the wattage they were pulling from the wall for lighting. If only they had my GPU-measuring Kill-A-Watt skills that wouldn't have happened.

Lol that all checks out. Power issues go all the way up the pole sometimes. I just did an event at a hotel and I specifically requested twenty 20 amp drops (massive overkill) for about 100 computers and 200 displays, the hotel charged 8k for the power but gave 3 drops. We tripped their breaker a few times and got the AC voltage to droop to 108 volts, shutting off a bunch of 4g routers, it was a mess.

Gaff tape is basically currency for AV groups, this is my freebie box at work to grease wheels lol

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

w00tazn posted:

Sorry to derail the GPU thread more but FWIW everything I've seen on reddit has completely overblown the VRM poo poo. Yes it can potentially have impacts on OC, but in practicality it won't unless you're pushing LN2 Extreme overclocks.
The worst thing about it is that they run hotter than other True 8 Phase VRM setups which can have impacts on lifespan of the board. (Probably negligible?)
The only real issue with the VRM setup is that you potentially overpaid for a fake 8 Phase and that ASUS lied about it, it has little to no impact on performance in realistic settings. It might even be better than other "true" 8 phases! who knows.

All the discourse about the 9 series in general has me confused because everyone just assumes that they're built to OC as easily as everything in the previous generations which is untrue. These things @ stock run hotter and use up more power than anything else before it and are already practically at their limits in terms of overclocking potential anyway. At best you'll probably get 5-5.1 Ghz stable but anything else will require a crazy setup / delidding / die lapping.

That’s the conclusion I came to, I decided to keep the z390-e and live with the high thermals on vram. I’m not looking to break records, if I get 4.9-5.0 with decent temps it’s good enough for me. There are a few 9900k oc’ed past that on this board so I’m not too worried.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Zero VGS posted:

Are the LEDs part of the shroud, or part of the PCB? The LEDs on my MSI card were part of the shroud, which means I could simply unplug the header that powered them (and eventually dumped the whole thing for a LED free full cover water block).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Indiana_Krom posted:

Are the LEDs part of the shroud, or part of the PCB? The LEDs on my MSI card were part of the shroud, which means I could simply unplug the header that powered them (and eventually dumped the whole thing for a LED free full cover water block).

I think you're right that it's probably a wire running to the shroud, slipped my mind to check that, I'll try when I get back.

In other news my RTX 2080 is exactly break-even with my electricity costs to mine Amazon gift cards on it, so it's a free 300-watt space heater for this winter I guess. I finally got insulation put in my house's hollow walls so 300 watts should be perfect for my bedroom.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 7, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I know it's unpopular for whatever reason, but can't you just install Geforce Experience and control the lights from there?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

^^ I've never seen LED control in GFE. The FE cards have a LED header though, and EVGA typically does, really any card I've ever seen has a header to remove. To control LED's for various brands I think you have to install their super jank LED control crap which honestly if you just want them off I wouldn't do

Looks like Windows 1809 may finally be rolling out as of 2 days ago for everyone... I think, its sort of unclear, but it seems so. Pretty close to the BF5 release with (presumably) RTX on launch day but close is good enough. I have to say I'm a just excited enough to really amplify my inevitable disappointment with some detail or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is 1809 supposed to bring?