Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Recently Flanders accused homer of having "cheeseburger sweat" and then to really let you know there was a joke homer very slowly says "Oh, apparently my sweat has CHEESEBURGERS in it now. Cheeseburgers in my sweat he says!" And then after he finished speaking he pulls out a burger and rubs it on his face

It's three more "jokes" than it ought to be

ed: I just realized the only time I've enjoyed simpsons 13+ (thats the divider on a site I use that just passively streams random episodes from shows, which has 1-13 and 13-present but often runs one or two seasons for ages) was when I was in the depths of obscene depression and drug withdrawal, where I could just stare, braindead, at the colors. its actively awful now that I'm more coherent

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

I guess I have a higher tolerance for modern Simpsons than most others in this thread, but holy gently caress, this is bad, this for me might be the lowest point.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lisa's singing in that clip is unbelievably bad, I can honestly say at this point the voices would sound more authentic if they hired fan impersonators

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Frog Act posted:

Lisa's singing in that clip is unbelievably bad, I can honestly say at this point the voices would sound more authentic if they hired fan impersonators

Does anyone do a truly on point impersonation of any simpsons character? I feel like I've never heard a perfect impression of any character in the same way I've heard perfect impressions of distinctive sounding celebrities. It always sounds off.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Does anyone do a truly on point impersonation of any simpsons character? I feel like I've never heard a perfect impression of any character in the same way I've heard perfect impressions of distinctive sounding celebrities. It always sounds off.

On the one hand, I've never heard one either, but on the other, for some reason I feel very confident there is someone out there who has early season voices down perfectly

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lol find the two new characters at the start of that clip I bet you can't pick them out.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

pretty soft girl posted:

yeah people can do a pretty spot on Randy Marsh or Peter Griffin or Cartman, but i've never heard a good Homer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know about you but for my money Ted Cruz's impressions can't be beat

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

*Ted Cruz voice* I do not miss Bart at all

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

This somehow feels more offensive than South Park making the same joke of “pokemon is actually the Japanese trying to destroy America” and also far more out of touch. It feels like an old man screaming about how scary technology is, see: thinking a game like loving pokemon go would promote violence without a second thought. Ironically it feels like something that would have been written in the 90s, but not by the Simpsons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CodfishCartographer posted:

This somehow feels more offensive than South Park making the same joke of “pokemon is actually the Japanese trying to destroy America” and also far more out of touch. It feels like an old man screaming about how scary technology is, see: thinking a game like loving pokemon go would promote violence without a second thought. Ironically it feels like something that would have been written in the 90s, but not by the Simpsons.

The chinpokomon episode was also full of Japanese puns. Yeah it was pretty :airquote: ironically racist :airquote: but Trey and Matt did some fuckin homework.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

THE BAR posted:

This has another example of how overly long every piece of animation has become, with Maggie's eyeroll not only demanding a cut, but also several seconds of undivided attention. This would've happened naturally in the background in old episodes.

As I mentioned upthread, I'm doing a rewatch of seasons 2 and 3 and this was immediately something that jumped out at me. There are so many little touches in the animation that give life to the characters and add to the humor, things like eye-rolls or other facial expressions as the camera pans away to some other focus of action. There's not a sudden zoom-in and pause every time a character reacts to draw attention to that character reacting. It's all subtle and it's great.

Data Graham posted:

The chinpokomon episode was also full of Japanese puns. Yeah it was pretty :airquote: ironically racist :airquote: but Trey and Matt did some fuckin homework.

Pretty sure at least one of them is a Japanese major.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

My favorite part of pokemon go is growing wings and decapitating everyone with my magic sword

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I don't know about you but for my money Ted Cruz's impressions can't be beat

That was surreal, like watching a snl bit.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As far as replacing the actors, I think it could be done. They had to replace Mickey Mouse a while ago, and yeah, you can tell it's someone else. But I don't think the average person would notice. I imagine they could do the same with the simpsons. But they'd also have to really care about finding someone who is REALLY dedicated impersonating those voices.

Or the funny thing to do would be to have maybe a half-season of stuff like those actors Burns hired to pretend to be the family and trick Bart.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also, I'm not sure I buy into the notion that "jerk-rear end Homer" came later. I think people just misremember because they like the old episodes. Homer is a huge shithead in just about every episode I've watched.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, I'm not sure I buy into the notion that "jerk-rear end Homer" came later. I think people just misremember because they like the old episodes. Homer is a huge shithead in just about every episode I've watched.

It used to be because Homer was lazy or stupid though. He wasn't a jerk just to be a jerk, he just couldn't be bothered to do what was necessary to not be a jerk. Once Homer was motivated he usually did the right thing.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Homer and Peter Griffin transformed into the same character.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

sweet geek swag posted:

It used to be because Homer was lazy or stupid though. He wasn't a jerk just to be a jerk, he just couldn't be bothered to do what was necessary to not be a jerk. Once Homer was motivated he usually did the right thing.

Not really. He's just straight up a jerk for no reason. See "When Flanders Failed".

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not really. He's just straight up a jerk for no reason. See "When Flanders Failed".

That is an entire episode about Homer's moral dilemma. He isn't being a jerk for no reason, he wants to see Flanders fail because Flanders' previous success makes him insecure. Homer's hatred of Flanders being about his own jealousy is the foundation of that relationship. Also note that Homer is doing anything to directly harm Flanders, he just isn't mentioning the Leftorium to his friends and coworkers.

But most importantly, at the end of the episode he realizes that Flanders hasn't done anything to deserve his apathy and takes action to save Flanders' business. The end of the episode is basically the end to It's a Wonderful Life, and is just completely saccharine and re-establishes Homer's basic morality.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

sweet geek swag posted:

That is an entire episode about Homer's moral dilemma. He isn't being a jerk for no reason, he wants to see Flanders fail because Flanders' previous success makes him insecure. Homer's hatred of Flanders being about his own jealousy is the foundation of that relationship. Also note that Homer is doing anything to directly harm Flanders, he just isn't mentioning the Leftorium to his friends and coworkers.

But most importantly, at the end of the episode he realizes that Flanders hasn't done anything to deserve his apathy and takes action to save Flanders' business. The end of the episode is basically the end to It's a Wonderful Life, and is just completely saccharine and re-establishes Homer's basic morality.

I'll give you the turn at the end when Homer realizes he's a shithead, but don't forget the garage sale. Good lord Homer is a monster in those sequences.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

yeah people can do a pretty spot on Randy Marsh or Peter Griffin or Cartman, but i've never heard a good Homer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANnYCPju9w

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

As I mentioned upthread, I'm doing a rewatch of seasons 2 and 3 and this was immediately something that jumped out at me. There are so many little touches in the animation that give life to the characters and add to the humor, things like eye-rolls or other facial expressions as the camera pans away to some other focus of action. There's not a sudden zoom-in and pause every time a character reacts to draw attention to that character reacting. It's all subtle and it's great.

Yeah, I've tried to say this in the thread, but I was never able to put it right. The jokes are just paced so badly, especially visual gags. It really feels like it comes down to both bad writing, bad storyboarding, and assembly-line animation.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pretty sure at least one of them is a Japanese major.

I think one of them used to be married to a Japanese female

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, I've tried to say this in the thread, but I was never able to put it right. The jokes are just paced so badly, especially visual gags. It really feels like it comes down to both bad writing, bad storyboarding, and assembly-line animation.

There's a story told in one of the early season commentaries where one of the writers (I forget who) had an idea for a joke, but couldn't get it to work.

He tries to get it into a few episodes and supposedly spent hours rewriting it and envisioning how it would work (since it required a bunch of quick cuts and reaction shots).

Eventually they decided it just wouldn't work in the context and had to scrap it. I can't imagine that amount of work going into most of the episodes now, most jokes are "sounded funny in my head" writing with no workshopping or editing.

The funny thing is that they actually DO put the joke in a later season and, surprise, it didn't really work and is more confusing than it is funny!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

pooch516 posted:

There's a story told in one of the early season commentaries where one of the writers (I forget who) had an idea for a joke, but couldn't get it to work.

He tries to get it into a few episodes and supposedly spent hours rewriting it and envisioning how it would work (since it required a bunch of quick cuts and reaction shots).

Eventually they decided it just wouldn't work in the context and had to scrap it. I can't imagine that amount of work going into most of the episodes now, most jokes are "sounded funny in my head" writing with no workshopping or editing.

The funny thing is that they actually DO put the joke in a later season and, surprise, it didn't really work and is more confusing than it is funny!
What was the joke?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

What was the joke?

Homer's listening to Lisa sing a song where every line sounds like it's going to end with a curse, but ends up being innocent or some word that just rhymes with a dirty word.

I think it keeps cutting back to him reacting to what he thinks will be a dirty word.

It's kind of tough to explain, but definitely feels like the humor from the first few years. When they actually animated it for an episode I remember thinking it seemed really out of place because Homer is gasping about the word "drat."

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

This always confused me

Even when I was a middle schooler I wondered if it was an entirely different character or a weird voice, or a really really bad Homer impression? When he starts going “that’s some funny poo poo” I can’t help but cringe thinking that they thought it was funny or accurate at all, but considering BHG is basically The Worst Music made by The Worst People, I doubt it was tongue-in-cheek.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the group who came up with im not black like barry white no i am white like frank black is can do no wrong

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pooch516 posted:

Homer's listening to Lisa sing a song where every line sounds like it's going to end with a curse, but ends up being innocent or some word that just rhymes with a dirty word.

I think it keeps cutting back to him reacting to what he thinks will be a dirty word.

It's kind of tough to explain, but definitely feels like the humor from the first few years. When they actually animated it for an episode I remember thinking it seemed really out of place because Homer is gasping about the word "drat."

They ended up doing that in an earlyish eipsode with Lisa and Janie skipping rope

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Frog Act posted:

They ended up doing that in an earlyish eipsode with Lisa and Janie skipping rope

Do you remember which one? I remember seeing that joke and could have sworn it was sometime after Season 12 (and I stopped watching regularly around season 16 I think).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Was watching Disenchanted and while it most reminds me of Futurama, I see moments from new and old Simpsons in a lot of spots. While there are some natural-sounding conversational jokes that remind me of early Simpsons, there are out of place jokes and just weird pacing that remind me of newer Simpsons. There are series of witty, well-paced jokes, but a good chunk of attempted humor happens when the show goes "Oops, I forgot to tell a joke!" then tells some an obvious punch up gag. One that sticks in my mind is when they go on an adventure to a see a guy named the Wishmaster, but when they get there, it turns out he's THE WASHMASTER oh man but there's this silence and pause without even much of a reaction from the main characters when he announces himself. The silence is really obvious too, where it feels the show is telling you "Okay you can laugh here without missing anything go ahead." One thing I also noticed that reminded me of new Simpsons was that the sound design was off. There are long moments of dead air, missing sound effects (not hearing any footsteps during a chase sequence), drawn out lines that feel like the animation was done before the voice recording, or music that did not fit the scene very well.

The show picks up eventually, but there were moments where I felt like I was watching some of the worse Simpsons/Futurama moments.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Plan Z posted:

Was watching Disenchanted and while it most reminds me of Futurama, I see moments from new and old Simpsons in a lot of spots. While there are some natural-sounding conversational jokes that remind me of early Simpsons, there are out of place jokes and just weird pacing that remind me of newer Simpsons. There are series of witty, well-paced jokes, but a good chunk of attempted humor happens when the show goes "Oops, I forgot to tell a joke!" then tells some an obvious punch up gag. One that sticks in my mind is when they go on an adventure to a see a guy named the Wishmaster, but when they get there, it turns out he's THE WASHMASTER oh man but there's this silence and pause without even much of a reaction from the main characters when he announces himself. The silence is really obvious too, where it feels the show is telling you "Okay you can laugh here without missing anything go ahead." One thing I also noticed that reminded me of new Simpsons was that the sound design was off. There are long moments of dead air, missing sound effects (not hearing any footsteps during a chase sequence), drawn out lines that feel like the animation was done before the voice recording, or music that did not fit the scene very well.

The show picks up eventually, but there were moments where I felt like I was watching some of the worse Simpsons/Futurama moments.

The entire first seaon feels like a long pilot episode.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I like that way of putting it better than mine.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

Also, the imagination sequence where he pictures Flanders' misfortune. It goes to a shot of Ned's grave, and he says to himself "mmm no, too far" then backs it up. Modern Simpsons doesn't have the restraint to do that, they'd just keep pushing it further with horrible dismemberment or something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Frog Act posted:

If it's what it sounds like he's describing, the whole thing predates simpsons by years. Elementary and middle school kids from decades ago used to do it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pooch516 posted:

Do you remember which one? I remember seeing that joke and could have sworn it was sometime after Season 12 (and I stopped watching regularly around season 16 I think).

Turns out it was directly connected to what you described, a way of making it work later and (lmao) the song I'm remembering has a wiki entry

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Lisa_and_Janey%27s_Patty_Cake_Rhyme

Ed: initially from Bart sells his soul (s7) but then actually done in season 16 apparently

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

womb with a view posted:

Also, the imagination sequence where he pictures Flanders' misfortune. It goes to a shot of Ned's grave, and he says to himself "mmm no, too far" then backs it up. Modern Simpsons doesn't have the restraint to do that, they'd just keep pushing it further with horrible dismemberment or something.

Am I misremembering a weird fever dream or wasnt there an episode in one of the lovely seasons where homer gleefully imagines rod and todd dead

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Atlas Hugged posted:

He started becoming a real jerk in the Merkin years (s5 and 6), got less jerk under Oakley and Weinstein for the most part, then it was a steep decline after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Turns out it was directly connected to what you described, a way of making it work later and (lmao) the song I'm remembering has a wiki entry

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Lisa_and_Janey%27s_Patty_Cake_Rhyme

Ed: initially from Bart sells his soul (s7) but then actually done in season 16 apparently

Yes, thank you I was starting to think I was going crazy and imagined it.