Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

And as someone who is getting out of a deep red area in the relatively near future, why would I stay someplace that is engaged in self-destructive behavior, minimal jobs for skilled workers, low pay, no culture (actual conversation I have had: "There isn't a decent restaurant within five hundred miles of here." "What are you talking about? The Chinese buffet is only a ten mile drive."), and effectively no chance of it changing any time soon? Gee, I can make myself miserable for decades on the off chance that a shift occurs, or I can shift myself to someplace decent now.

These are the results of choices perpetrated unchecked capitalism and a government that exists only to shovel tax money to corporations. In virtually every western european country there is a vibrant (if shrinking in population) countryside. Rural portugal isn't swarming with flea ridden children and methheads like northeast Missouri.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously.

And as someone who is getting out of a deep red area in the relatively near future, why would I stay someplace that is engaged in self-destructive behavior, minimal jobs for skilled workers, low pay, no culture (actual conversation I have had: "There isn't a decent restaurant within five hundred miles of here." "What are you talking about? The Chinese buffet is only a ten mile drive."), and effectively no chance of it changing any time soon? Gee, I can make myself miserable for decades on the off chance that a shift occurs, or I can shift myself to someplace decent now.

You're probably being precious about the food tbh, there's a good restaurant within 500 miles of anyone anywhere, you just have to stick your head in someplace you wouldn't normally go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RasperFat posted:

Mueller is a lifelong Republican. We can’t forget that.

There's a difference between law and order republicans who were lovely and "The party is all! Obey the party!" republicans. The FBI is filled with the former which is why the current republican party is so mad at them: they support the law rather than their team.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if anything, i expect that after Robert Mueller got appointed to head the investigation into someone who's been skirting justice for decades, he very nearly smiled and celebrated with a glass of warm milk

"Just this once I'll add a little Hershey's syrup" (squeezes out a single drop).

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Random Stranger posted:

There's a difference between law and order republicans who were lovely and "The party is all! Obey the party!" republicans. The FBI is filled with the former which is why the current republican party is so mad at them: they support the law rather than their team.

would you say cops are law and order republicans too?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1060301509584404480

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1060306211701174273

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually expect cities to be abandoned when things start getting real bad. There's historical precedent that trade disruptions and mass die-offs also cause people to move to the countryside (partly so they can be more in charge of their own food supply)

Depends immensely on the cities in question. We should probably depopulate Phoenix regardless, the water situation is untenable. I could see us abandoning parts of Miami and all of New Orleans.

But I think the economic and political power of these metros are still undeniably strong and without presupposing a collapse of the federal system, the desires of business and powerful politicians go hand in hand to keep the cities running.

So even under Republicans we'll build new seawalls to protect parts of the Houston metro from hurricane floodings. But Republicans will be building them around the oil refineries and not the poor neighborhoods across the street.

New York, LA, Houston (city not metro) have the wealth to choose to deal with the impacts of climate change as they desire, maybe they'll save the poor communities but they certainly will save the skyscrapers and the ports.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unfit to do my duties?! I will show you who is unfit to do their duties!!!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deified Data posted:

You're probably being precious about the food tbh, there's a good restaurant within 500 miles of anyone anywhere, you just have to stick your head in someplace you wouldn't normally go.

I don't want to go down this rabbit hole too far, but every place I've eaten in this area has been at best a 2 out 5 in any urban area and I'm three hours away from a large urban area in any direction (yes, that's less than 500 miles, allow me some hyperbole). We're talking the kind of place that considers Olive Garden to be high end Italian cuisine.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Random Stranger posted:

The FBI does not support "the law" and spends a lot of time trying to get poor mentally ill Muslims to say they'll blow up a church for 100 dollars so they can arrest them and trumpet it to CNN.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Condiv posted:

i'm actually surprised the dems are as muted as they are about climate change

Doing anything about climate change would require the vastly wealthy to be slightly less wealthy, so its a nonstarter with the Dems. We have to wait for the market to decide to stop climate change. Any day now.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously.

drat, if being cultured means looking down on the China buffet, then I’d rather be a hillbilly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Squalid posted:

This is very situational. For example famine and drought in Somalia has been a major driver of urbanization. This is because when the crops fail and camels die, you have to trade for food, and cities are where you do it. Once you’ve given up your land and livestock it’s difficult to go back to the countryside.

I'm assuming we get a collapse of international trade so there's no foreign food to buy. My model here is the bronze age collapse. Obviously it's hard to model future events and we might just power through 4 degrees with sheer technological brute force without a complete societal collapse

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Lightning Knight posted:

imo we should just abolish the Senate.

I mean, I am 150% in agreement but... how do we actually practically get there?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Condiv posted:

Not even remotely. You might notice that there's a difference between people who have to have college degrees in legal fields (the FBI) and high school drop outs who want to play with guns (local law enforcement).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

I don't want to go down this rabbit hole too far, but every place I've eaten in this area has been at best a 2 out 5 in any urban area and I'm three hours away from a large urban area in any direction (yes, that's less than 500 miles, allow me some hyperbole). We're talking the kind of place that considers Olive Garden to be high end Italian cuisine.

Maybe the hidden gems in my lovely little town have spoiled me.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, those panera voters by and large just gave the Dems the House?

They also cost us a senate seat, because of that dumbass Donnelly though

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/helenprejean/status/1060178080411648000

loving incredible

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Z. Autobahn posted:

:sigh: I don't know. I do know that we're hosed if incremental change is the best case scenario because global warming gives no fucks about your incremental solutions.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm assuming we get a collapse of international trade so there's no foreign food to buy. My model here is the bronze age collapse. Obviously it's hard to model future events and we might just power through 4 degrees with sheer technological brute force without a complete societal collapse

Lots of construction jobs will be created by all the sea wall building.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

They also cost us a senate seat, because of that dumbass Donnelly though

Did they? I thought Donnelly lost mostly due to strong turnout from rural Indiana.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Condiv posted:

mueller is literally both

during his stint as a defense attorney he iirc declined to defend a bunch of otherwise profitable clients because he thought they were guilty and that made him mad

he is the epitome of a Lawn Order republican and therefore while he's morally bad in several related ways, he's pretty cool to have investigating Noted Career Criminal Donald Trump

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"The FBI supports the law" says a poster who forgot that the FBI engaged in a bunch of illegal surveillance under...you guessed it...Robert Mueller

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/371206-robert-muellers-forgotten-surveillance-crime-spree

edit: LOL check out the post above me for more whitewashing of Mueller's criminality.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Why would all international trade stop? Climate change won't meaningfully negatively impact our ability to shift stuff overseas, it will impact what there is to ship but that means a changing of international trade not an end to it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

GreyjoyBastard posted:

2) a racist Democratic rep-or-whatever is better than a racist Republican rep-or-whatever

No. Both would need to be shot into the sun. The Democrats have no room for racists

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Random Stranger posted:

Is there that much difference? The “law and order” Republicans gladly cheered on Bush’s making GBS threads all over the constitution and due process, and have been supporting Republicans long past when it should be obvious how criminal and full of poo poo the entire party is.

Honestly, being a law and order Republican might actually be worse because it gives undeserved legitimacy to a party that has been broken for multiple generations.

I do appreciate the reassurances, but time will tell in the next couple weeks if any big shots have been lined up for destruction. Like I said earlier, a by the books Republican would have considered not saying anything too close to the election the right move, whether it would help or hurt either party.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RasperFat posted:

Mueller is a lifelong Republican. We can’t forget that.
Yeah and Trump isn't. I really can't imagine Mueller having any loyalty or sympathy towards the guy, Trump is like the opposite of what he stands for. This is the who had to quit as a criminal defense attorney because he'd look at the obviously guilty criminals and go, yeah, you should be in jail.

It's not impossible of course that there are some shenanigans going on, but there's been absolutely no indication so far and no reason to freak out over this particular thing.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

2) a racist Democratic rep-or-whatever is better than a racist Republican rep-or-whatever
loving :chloe:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Yes, and most of them live in the suburbs and are the exact kind of "panera voter" that the democrat party has been trying to capture since 2016.
The voters who voted for Trump and proceeded to continue to vote for his representatives in a campaign whose closing argument was explicitly centered on white identity are less racist than the ones who voted for Clinton and proceeded to cease voting for Republicans when the party embarked on that closing message? :confused:

Let's be clear, all factions of the Democratic party need to grapple with the bigots within their ranks and their leadership, and that they are, at the end of the day, trying to expand the party by appealing to people who are themselves bigoted. We know this, because we know how rampant racism, sexism, homophobia, et. al are within America.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Abolish the senate gets brought up a lot, and it is a good idea, but that would require a constitutional amendment. Giving states 2 senators each is also in the constitution. I think it's easier legally (but just as unlikely) to split up a bunch of the big states to create more blue states.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

theCalamity posted:

No. Both would need to be shot into the sun. The Democrats have no room for racists

I'm in the most liberal part of the country, surrounded by Democrats, and a decent number of them are casual racists. We live in a racist society. Most of the country is racist. If we had a zero tolerance party to racists, we'd never win a single state.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The FBI is actually extremely bad and will not be riding to the rescue of America any time soon

A good judge

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RasperFat posted:

Honestly, being a law and order Republican might actually be worse because it gives undeserved legitimacy to a party that has been broken for multiple generations.

I agree with you there, my point was just that the FBI isn't going to roll over for the republican party because they decided crime was legal for anyone with an R next to their name which is an attitude that comes up way too often.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

theCalamity posted:

sure, primary their butts off

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The FBI does not support "the law" and spends a lot of time trying to get poor mentally ill Muslims to say they'll blow up a church for 100 dollars so they can arrest them and trumpet it to CNN.

Also don't forget thr FBI extrajudicially assassinates activists

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We just need to steal the physical copy of the Constitution from the National Archives and the problem will just take care of itself.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, those panera voters by and large just gave the Dems the House?

Yep. In Michigan we got our flips thanks to the white suburbs. Rural seats were still a shitshow defeat, even for candidates who were running on M4A like Jerry Hilliard and Matt Morgan.

Makes it kind of hard to believe that M4A is the magic victory wand that people think it is. Voters have weird and contradictory preferences that aren't encapsulated by a single set of policies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

When the current constitution was written and adopted, they didn't follow the rules set out in the articles of confederation to do so. In this instance, I say we use this traditionalism and if Democrats retake Congress, the Presidency and pack the court we just do it. We create a new process to create a new constitution in a more democratic way than the current one allows and we just do it rules be damned, just like the founding fathers did.

Now if the Senate is truly an impossible task, it does seem like we might be inexorably stuck in the decline of this republic.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

When the current constitution was written and adopted, they didn't follow the rules set out in the articles of confederation to do so. In this instance, I say we use this traditionalism and if Democrats retake Congress, the Presidency and pack the court we just do it. We create a new process to create a new constitution in a more democratic way than the current one allows and we just do it rules be damned, just like the founding fathers did.

Now if the Senate is truly an impossible task, it does seem like we might be inexorably stuck in the decline of this republic.

We can't pack the court without the Senate, though. That's the problem.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/PamKeithFL/status/1060281925661872128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Why would all international trade stop? Climate change won't meaningfully negatively impact our ability to shift stuff overseas, it will impact what there is to ship but that means a changing of international trade not an end to it.

My model is the bronze age collapse here. Lower population, people spending more time surviving and less time making trade goods, a collapse of the governmental systems that kept things safe and encouraged trade, and refugee armies making travel unsafe.