Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Long lance was the surface launched torpedo notable for range and that it used highly combustible liquid oxygen.

The warhead size difference between it and the aerial torpedo is significant but not like double. Something in the order of
150%. Aerial torpedo will still gently caress your shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Now's the Katori's time to shine in the pursuit task force! Run down those carriers!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What was the name of the pilot?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Grumio posted:

What was the name of the pilot?

Ken McKazie

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

Ken McKazie Russell Casse

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

You know, I'm not entirely sure that's worth the effort.

Another random strike on Hong Kong.

They are going to feel those hits.

Still afloat, but unprotected and without her wall of flak, the Bettys finally get their flattop. Not that a single 60kg bomb will do much.

That will help more.

Another good day for us and another poor day for the US.

Still nothing on the official board.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

6 November 1944

It really feels like these guys are the second most common loss category after minesweepers: TA-21 (ex-Insidioso), another German-commandeered Italian torpedo boat, sunk by the USAAF while laid up at Fiume.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
MY LUCKY SHIP! NOOOOOOO.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Koth posted:

To be entirely fair, unless the crashing plane still had its bomb attached it probably wouldn't have done too much damage. Just a single engine plane on its own plus whatever remaining fuel it had onboard simply doesn't have that much penetrative or explosive potential. Unless the only thing this game cares about is if it's a kamikaze hit or not.

Return of the Jedi taught me that a single small fighter can destroy the enemy's biggest capital ship as long as it hits the bridge. :colbert:

E: Also, there's a wierdly beautiful short comic somebody wrote about that guy: http://www.space-mullet.com/2015/06/05/green-leader/

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

pthighs posted:

Return of the Jedi taught me that a single small fighter can destroy the enemy's biggest capital ship as long as it hits the bridge. :colbert:

E: Also, there's a wierdly beautiful short comic somebody wrote about that guy: http://www.space-mullet.com/2015/06/05/green-leader/

I was always under the impression, even as a little kid, that it knocked out the steering and that's what killed the Executor.

Also, that comic is surprisingly moving.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
With nothing showing in the planes destroyed on field (which I think isn't subject to fog of war?), did you actually sink either carrier?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

two_step posted:

With nothing showing in the planes destroyed on field (which I think isn't subject to fog of war?), did you actually sink either carrier?

Either? There's only one carrier there, she's just been reported sunk two days in a row. Though after yesterday, she was apparently crippled enough to be left behind by her task force, and now ate another four bombs.

Also, she might well be out of planes by now after duking it out with the island airbases for what, two weeks?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Also the flight deck may be too on fire/too full of bomb craters to launch planes from even if they've got plenty aboard. Plus maybe the carrier can't go fast enough to launch planes because of hosed engine? I don't know if WitP models that though.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Yes yes!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unless it was running pretty badly understrength squadrons, I don't think it's lost enough planes to be dry. They might be in the hanger deck.

Not like they could decamp them to that dot base.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, that's one dead CV. It may or many not not have sunk yet, but it's not launching anything with that many bomb hits, and it's not getting away with three torpedo holes to slow it down.

habeasdorkus posted:

I was always under the impression, even as a little kid, that it knocked out the steering and that's what killed the Executor.

Also, that comic is surprisingly moving.

To be entirely fair, I'm pretty sure that's what the official books went with too - that it knocked systems offline long enough that it got sucked into the DS2's gravity well, and they were unable to get the secondary bridge up in time. Or something like that, as it's been a while since I read the Zahn books. Because really, even modern ships generally have a secondary bridge that can manage ship functions to at least a limited extent, and you're telling me a 19km long ship doesn't?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The force was with then.

I like how EU tries to explain logically stuff like exposed bridges on ISD, but it was 100% stylistic choice.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Bunker Hill has taken three torpedoes, between three and five bomb hits, one kamikaze.. Wow Essexes are tough.

Good luck working over the two heavy cruisers.

Suppose you're going to have to haul out reinforcements and replacement pilots to Guam. And more planes. Is it still possible to expand the airfield and fortifications on Guam given it seems like the next high priority Allied target? Any way you can possibly get more AA and shore guns setup there and more fortifications to build it up? Or going to mostl yleave it as is for now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

two_step posted:

The plane loss reports are not subject to the fog-of-war, correct.

If there's a big jump in "Ops losses", we tend to assume that it's a sunk carrier, because all the planes either went down with the ship if they were still in the ship, or they crashed into the water/ground for lack of anything to land on if they were still in flight when the carrier went down.

On Nov-01, Grey's score is 73,288.

On Nov-02, the first day we see the Bunker Hill, there were 4 Ops losses, and 13 other losses. Grey's score is 73,317, a change of +29.

On Nov-03, there were 7 Ops losses, and 23 other losses. Grey's score is 73,350, a change of +33.

On Nov-04, there were 12 Ops losses, and 6 other losses. Grey's score is 73,357, a change of +7.

On Nov-05, there were 2 Ops losses, and 2 other losses. Grey's score is 73,378, a change of +21.

And now, on Nov-06, there were 9 Ops losses, and 1 other loss. Grey's score is 73,394, a change of +16.

These numbers don't suggest that the Bunker Hill has sunk just yet, and if there was an alternate carrier that her planes diverted to, we probably would have seen it by now.

What's probably happened is that the Bunker Hill is still floating as of Nov-06, and she might still have her planes on her, but can't launch them anymore.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I almost kind of want the Bunker Hill to survive, that much of a beating and then being able to limp home is the kind of amazingly memetic story that people in the Greyverse will spam reddit TIL posts about. TIL:The Carrier Bunker Hill was hit by ten bombs and two torpedos and managed to limp 2000 miles back to Pear Harbor.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is hitting Allied warships still worth it at this point? It seems barely economical if you look at those hosed up plane losses. Assuming there's something else Grey could be hitting instead ofc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

Is hitting Allied warships still worth it at this point? It seems barely economical if you look at those hosed up plane losses. Assuming there's something else Grey could be hitting instead ofc.

If we assume that Grey is no longer pursuing the outright 2x score victory and just wants to run out the clock, sunk ships can never be replaced, but planes and pilots always can.

If we assume that Grey does want to win on points, then you're right that there's maybe a point of diminishing returns where killing a ship costs more points in shot-down planes than it provides in sunk ship points.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I almost kind of want the Bunker Hill to survive, that much of a beating and then being able to limp home is the kind of amazingly memetic story that people in the Greyverse will spam reddit TIL posts about. TIL:The Carrier Bunker Hill was hit by ten bombs and two torpedos and managed to limp 2000 miles back to Pear Harbor.

Don't forget the kamikaze!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

This pretty much happened to Bunker Hill irl and nobody really posts about it.

It also happened to another carrier, Franklin, that went very close to Japan at one point and got hit hard. Like in game terms it would have been a hex or two away from the home islands.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol imagine the propaganda that pilot would get if the ship actually went down

he'd get statues in his honour

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

It also happened to another carrier, Franklin, that went very close to Japan at one point and got hit hard. Like in game terms it would have been a hex or two away from the home islands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Franklin_(CV-13)#19_March_1945

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wow the captain was a real prick.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Like shooting ducks in a barrel.

They have CAP everywhere now.

The hunt continues!

That's a much better hit!

I wonder why none of my dive bombers seem to be flying off my carriers?

I swear this is the third time the Cabot has been claimed sunk. I'm not happy to hear the Hornet is still alive.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Is it too late for me to claim the Maryland?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm still bombing here btw.

My cruisers are out hunting, but only get twenty reports like this.

Is this seriously the biggest ship you could find?

It looks like the Bunker Hill may have escaped me – or sunk. But wait! 40 planes destroyed on the ground and a mysterious 400 point jump in our score!

Nothing here, but I'm going to take that as confirmation of yet another fleet carrier kill for the Kido Butai!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Not bad! Probable fleet carrier kill and Cruiser! Good going. Think this is the first fleet carrier you've killed purely wtih land based air. And going to be sending in more planes to replace the losses on Guam and TruK?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Carrier a/c were also striking the carrier a few days ago.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

You'll pay for this, you perfidious Brit! Just wait until we put Ticonderoga's guns on Dorchester Heights

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Surprise! This is a massacre.

We've really caught them with the pants down – and this is a lot of tankers!

Murder, plain and simple.

Bloody hell! It's half the Royal Navy! My ships give a really good showing for themselves!

The Air force have a go!

They also protect our returning ships.

Battleships everywhere! And most of them are British (controlled)!

Here we wreak another cruiser.

Oh, this is a good day.

That got hectic quick! And we came off the better! I load up the battleships and ready to hit them again!

No big ships, but that's going to hurt their landing capacity in the area for a while.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The brass balls of this flotilla commander! :japan:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh hey the Renown is back. Long time no see.

I also like the fact that your carriers seem to be ignoring the allied naval group in the hex next to them, while it throws its airplanes after the other allied navy groups 3 hex and 5 hex away from you. Target rich environment.

Edit: Nevermind me, I was thinking about the Repulse.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wow. Those were long lances too. Maryland is probably sunk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The fact that only a single screening allied destroyer took a single hit while the Maryland ate poo poo is super embarrassing for the allies here. They must have been just horribly outmaneuvered. That the Japanese capital ships took only light damage in return is... actually pretty much beyond belief. How did three battleships manage to take fire but not dish out more than six hits to the attacking cruisers in return?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

The fact that only a single screening allied destroyer took a single hit while the Maryland ate poo poo is super embarrassing for the allies here. They must have been just horribly outmaneuvered. That the Japanese capital ships took only light damage in return is... actually pretty much beyond belief. How did three battleships manage to take fire but not dish out more than six hits to the attacking cruisers in return?

Nighttime surface combat. All the battleships there are ancient. All 3 BB's here are WW1 rebuilds.

Edit: I dont think any of the battleships present had radar. If you had a modern BB it would have been a repeat of South Dakota/Washington vs Kirishima.

Edit2: Looks like at Suriago, Maryland had to visually range in splashes. So nobody in this battle could see, and combined with Japanese night fighting training, this was kind of an expected outcome.

\/ Nighttime surface combat. You cant hit what you cant see.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Ok how on earth did 3 battleships manage to loose a gunfight against handful of cruisers ? This is what BB's are supposed to be made for!