Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Adar posted:

no.

by 2040 you're going to have more severe hurricanes and water issues that force some very specific coastal areas in Florida to move and many others to spend some money on mitigation, but each individual hurricane hits a handful of coastal counties once a year, so one or two individual towns/counties will be abandoned or not rebuilt at a time.

this does not mean Florida gets abandoned or the end of logistics chains or other doomsday predictions, it means the end of cheap flood insurance coupled with increased grid redundancy and large amounts of money spent on maintenance in major cities to keep them livable.

2100 with no further technological progress and increased global denialism would definitely suck balls in the US and start going down the uninhabitability route in Bangladesh, but even that's a stretch

No, the current projection by the IPCC released a few weeks ago is, that if we don't start drastic action RIGHT NOW, then the next best case scenario is reaching 2 degrees during the decade of 2040 and from there, by way of deploying on a massive scale technologies that do not yet exist, managing to just barely begin to lower temperatures by the end of the century.

And of course, we're not starting drastic action right now, so that's the best case scenario we're looking at, and it's loving catastrophic as it is.

Then we get to Scenario 3, which is the closest to our current reality.

IPCC SR15 posted:

Scenario 3 [one possible storyline among worst-case scenarios]:

Mitigation: Uncoordinated action, major actions late in the 21st century.

Internal climate variability: First unusual (ca. 10%) best-case scenario for one decade, then normal internal climate variability.

In 2020, despite past pledges, the international support for the Paris Agreement starts to wane. In the years that follow, CO2 emissions are reduced at local and national level but efforts are limited and not always successful.

Radiative forcing increases and, due to chance, the most extreme events tend to happen in less populated regions thus not increasing global concerns. Nonetheless, there are more frequent heatwaves in several cities and less snow in mountain resorts in the Alps, Rockies, and Andes. 1.5°C warming is reached by 2030, but no major changes in policies occur. Starting with an intense El Niño-La Niña phase in the 2030s, several catastrophic years occur while global temperature warming starts to approach 2°C. There are major heatwaves on all continents, with deadly consequences in tropical regions and Asian megacities, especially for those ill-equipped for protecting themselves and their communities from the effects of extreme temperatures. Droughts occur in regions bordering the Mediterranean Sea, Central North America, the Amazon region and southern Australia, some of which are due to natural variability and others to enhanced greenhouse forcing. Intense floodings occur in high-latitude and tropical regions, in particular in Asia, following increases in heavy precipitation events. Major ecosystems (coral reefs, wetlands, forests) are destroyed over that period with massive disruption to local livelihoods. An unprecedented drought leads to large impacts on the Amazon rain forest, which is also affected by deforestation. A hurricane with intense rainfall and associated with high storm surges destroys a large part of Miami. A 2-year drought in the Great Plains and a concomitant drought in Eastern Europe and Russia decrease global crop production, resulting in major increases in food prices and eroding food security. Poverty levels increase to a very large scale and risk and incidence of starvation increase very significantly as food stores dwindle in most countries; human health suffers.

There are high levels of public unrest and political destabilization due to the increasing climatic pressures, resulting in some countries becoming dysfunctional. The main countries responsible for the CO2 emissions design rapidly conceived mitigation plans and try to install plants for carbon capture and storage, in some cases without sufficient prior testing. Massive investments in renewable energy often happen too late and are uncoordinated; energy prices soar as a result of the high demand and lack of infrastructure. In some cases, demand cannot be met, leading to further delays. Some countries propose to consider sulphate-aerosol based SRM, however intensive international negotiations on the topic take substantial time and are inconclusive, because of overwhelming concerns about potential impacts to monsoon rainfall and risks in case of termination. Global and regional temperatures continue to strongly increase while mitigation solutions are being developed and implemented.

Global mean warming reaches 3°C by 2100 but is not yet stabilized despite major decreases in yearly CO2 emissions, as a net-zero CO2 emissions budget could not yet be achieved and because of the long life-time of CO2 concentrations. The world as it was in 2020 is no longer recognizable, with decreasing life expectancy, reduced outdoor labour productivity, and lower quality of life in many regions because of too frequent heatwaves and other climate extremes. Droughts and water resources stress renders agriculture economically un-viable in some regions and contributes to increases in poverty. Progress on the sustainable development goals is largely undone and poverty rates reach new highs. Major conflicts take place. Almost all ecosystems experience irreversible impacts, species extinction rates are high in all regions, forest fires escalate, and biodiversity strongly decreases, resulting in extensive losses to ecosystem services. These losses exacerbate poverty and reduce quality of life. Life, for many indigenous and rural groups, becomes untenable in their ancestral lands. The retreat of the West Antarctic ice sheet accelerates, leading to more rapid SLR. Several small island states give up hope to survive in their place and look to an increasingly fragmented global community for refuge. Aggregate economic damages are substantial owing to the combined effects of climate changes, political instability, and losses of ecosystem services. The general health and well-being of people substantially decreased compared to the conditions in 2020 and continues to worsen over the following decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"The FBI supports the law" says a poster who forgot that the FBI engaged in a bunch of illegal surveillance under...you guessed it...Robert Mueller

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/371206-robert-muellers-forgotten-surveillance-crime-spree

edit: LOL check out the post above me for more whitewashing of Mueller's criminality.

this is an interesting article, thank you for it

it does not particularly impact my opinion / position on "Mueller really loving hates people who commit crimes [that are not related to being in law enforcement]", but it was not a thing I was aware of

(if anything it supports my point, because i am fairly confident he draws a distinction in his mind between his illegal activities in surveillance and the illegal activities he was surveilling :smug:)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Random Stranger posted:

Not even remotely. You might notice that there's a difference between people who have to have college degrees in legal fields (the FBI) and high school drop outs who want to play with guns (local law enforcement).

ah, so the college degrees turned these republicans into good people?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Every single poster who thinks there are good, reachable Republicans who actually care about the rule of law should read The Reactionary Mind, a book I recommend all the time and makes an airtight case for conservatives having no real value system beyond establishing an over/underclass and keeping themselves in the privileged overclass.

It's literally hundreds of pages of proof that this is how conservatives operate. And then you finish the book and realize that it's 100% true and you can predict all of conservatives responses to every issue by applying the lessons from the book.

edit: to whit, this post:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is an interesting article, thank you for it

it does not particularly impact my opinion / position on "Mueller really loving hates people who commit crimes [that are not related to being in law enforcement]", but it was not a thing I was aware of

(if anything it supports my point, because i am fairly confident he draws a distinction in his mind between his illegal activities in surveillance and the illegal activities he was surveilling :smug:)

...perfectly describes a conservative, who is "law and order" up until the point that it impedes him in his duties and then he cheerfully tramples over it, because to a conservative the law binds the underclass but does not protect them, while it protects the overclass but does not bind them.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 8, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, the current projection by the IPCC released a few weeks ago is, that if we don't start drastic action RIGHT NOW, then the next best case scenario is reaching 2 degrees during the decade of 2040 and from there, by way of deploying on a massive scale technologies that do not yet exist, managing to just barely begin to lower temperatures by the end of the century.

And of course, we're not starting drastic action right now, so that's the best case scenario we're looking at, and it's loving catastrophic as it is.

I would say that this should replace the dog tax except that would be depressing.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So what’re the chances we can go back to two threads any time soon?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

The problem is that GOP voters who approved of the minimum wage act viewed it as “more money for me”, an inherently Republican belief. They probably would have reconsidered if they were reminded that minorities would also get more money. Expect a “poo poo wages for browns” act to show up in the next 4~6 years when they realize it.

Yeah; no. There's been no movement--ever--to shift medicare or social security or unemployment comp or minimum wage to whites-only bc if something is mad-popular even voters of the racist party don't wanna see those programs change or go away.

I love seeing succ-dem fever dreams about how popular programs will be carved out for whites-only, bc it belies succ-dems' own views that these good things will never ever happen while serving as a smokescreen for their own views that it's perfectly fine for elected succ-dems to pay more attention to their voters than their donors, or that it's just too hard to publicly support policies that are overwhelmingly supported by voters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If Mueller was in the bag for Trump then Trump wouldn’t be such a paranoid freak ranting and raving about his investigation every chance he gets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Conspiratiorist posted:

your post is not inconsistent with adar's

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Random Stranger posted:

I agree with you there, my point was just that the FBI isn't going to roll over for the republican party because they decided crime was legal for anyone with an R next to their name which is an attitude that comes up way too often.

Yeah I don’t have that attitude. My original point was that straight-laced suits like Mueller wouldn’t be trying to actively help Republicans, but might not do anything close to the elections because :decorum: says that they’re supposed to avoid being political.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What the hell is a succ-Dem other than a surely cringy pun about... something?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Anybody know how to interpret the last clause of Article V? As I read it, you can't amend the Constitution to gently caress with the Senate unless all states agree.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the hell is a succ-Dem other than a surely cringy pun?

It is a meme term for centrist basically.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1060304407248752640

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Every single poster who thinks there are good, reachable Republicans who actually care about the rule of law should read The Reactionary Mind, a book I recommend all the time and makes an airtight case for conservatives having no real value system beyond establishing an over/underclass and keeping themselves in the privileged overclass.

It's literally hundreds of pages of proof that this is how conservatives operate. And then you finish the book and realize that it's 100% true and you can predict all of conservatives responses to every issue by applying the lessons from the book.

Yeah, I think what a lot of 'leftist policies will sway red voters' posters don't get is that it won't happen because leftist policies are about alleviating inequality and the core dominating philosophy of most of these people is explicitly and unabashedly pro-inequality.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CPColin posted:

Anybody know how to interpret the last clause of Article V? As I read it, you can't amend the Constitution to gently caress with the Senate unless all states agree.

It means that the way you abolish the senate it by stripping it of its power, rather than actually abolishing it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

which, much like 'centrist', gets applied to 'any Dem I don't like'

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Mueller was in the bag for Trump then Trump wouldn’t be such a paranoid freak ranting and raving about his investigation every chance he gets.

Exactly, these people can't help but overtly collude with each other about this poo poo. If Mueller was in Trump's pocket he'd be loudly shouting it from the twitter pulpit every other day.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Very good functional democracy

Also lmao if Gillum wins because a ton of ppl invalidated voter suppression through force of will

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You know, one of them corporate tool lanyard wearing so and sos.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CPColin posted:

I mean... if there's no Senate then all states have equal representation. :getin:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

which, much like 'centrist', gets applied to 'any Dem I don't like'

memes are bad, I agree.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sure, primary their butts off

I don't have to wait until primary season to do something about it. I can go interrupt their meals

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LinYutang posted:

Yep. In Michigan we got our flips thanks to the white suburbs. Rural seats were still a shitshow defeat, even for candidates who were running on M4A like Jerry Hilliard and Matt Morgan.

Makes it kind of hard to believe that M4A is the magic victory wand that people think it is. Voters have weird and contradictory preferences that aren't encapsulated by a single set of policies.

Literally no one has said it's a magic wand, of course democrats are going to do a lot of losing in rural areas. But what you should be looking at is not whether they won or lost, but how they performed compared to historical races.

A district going from R+20 to R+4 is an enormous deal, even if the outcome is the same this election. It means the people in that district are shifting, or at least open to a voice telling them new things. If progressives still lost, but took a lot of voters that are normally straight ticket R voters, that's a big deal and should not be papered over as "they lost so being progressive is pointless". It shows that they're places worth fighting for.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah, I think what a lot of 'leftist policies will sway red voters' posters don't get is that it won't happen because leftist policies are about alleviating inequality and the core dominating philosophy of most of these people is explicitly and unabashedly pro-inequality.

Conservatives are only about 30% of the population. Dems are failing with regular non-reactionary people.

The mindset is not "leftist policies will sway red voters", it's "leftist policies will sway people who don't vote" which was 60% of the electorate yesterday.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You see the dems... they suck. Thats it. Thanks for making the only occasionally decent thread on politics turn into a shitshow lightning knight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

My model is the bronze age collapse here. Lower population, people spending more time surviving and less time making trade goods, a collapse of the governmental systems that kept things safe and encouraged trade, and refugee armies making travel unsafe.

mhmm can't say I think this seems likely. For deurbanization to make sense you have to assume labor power becomes more valuable in rural settings than urban, but the economic collapse can't be so bad that rural areas also become vulnerable to periodic catastrophes that would push people back out. Though I guess fortunately if there's ever a collapse so bad sea trade ceases and we have to go back to digging potatoes just about everybody in this thread will be dead so we won't have to worry about it.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 8, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah someone's just going to start pumping sulfur or calcium carbonate (probably the better choice IMO) aerosols into the stratosphere, unforeseen consequences be damned.

It's cheap enough that even a demi-billionaire ($500m net worth or so) can easily fund it.

Do it from a ship in international waters, who's going to stop it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

theCalamity posted:

I don't have to wait until primary season to do something about it. I can go interrupt their meals

i tried to interrupt beto's meal, but was escorted away after he declined my marriage proposal

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As much as Mueller is a republican I assume as someone who is in the old school way of thinking would still prefer a president who isn't being blackmailed by Russia. I mean seriously, I think most people from a different time period can differentiate between "yea my president is Republican" and "Dang my president, who happens to be a republican, is going to start a war because Russia said he must". Now I don't believe any one in the senate actually cares because they are making out like robber barons, but I think someone who doesn't like the idea of a president being beholden to foreign powers because he likes to get peed on might take issue with it.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Conservatives are only about 30% of the population. Dems are failing with regular non-reactionary people.

The mindset is not "leftist policies will sway red voters", it's "leftist policies will sway people who don't vote" which was 60% of the electorate yesterday.

30% of the population WHERE? Nation-wide? Doesn't help us. But in red states, it's much much closer to or over 50%, and that's not even counting all the Independents who are functionally conservatives.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what's the obsession with beto? i really don't get it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

The idea is less that it will flip deep red voters, and more that it will inspire some of the ~40% of eligible Americans who don't vote, to get out and vote for Dems.

Condiv posted:

He ran a decent, although far from perfect, campaign that looked like it might toss Ted Cruz out on his rear end. I do think he's a little overvalued here though.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I think a candidate like Eastman doing as well as she did in a red state proves my point, not yours. Like, a 3-pt difference means that that district is winnable for a lefty Dem, and her support of M4A is likely why.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

i'm from texas and also he is charismatic and a Good Dem

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cheetah7071 posted:

It means that the way you abolish the senate it by stripping it of its power, rather than actually abolishing it

That makes sense, thanks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone else still really really pissed at Nate and his wild hosed up Live Model that gave us all direct flashbacks to 2016 except with the additional knowledge that if we didn’t take the House it was Game loving Over for real?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

My model is the bronze age collapse here. Lower population, people spending more time surviving and less time making trade goods, a collapse of the governmental systems that kept things safe and encouraged trade, and refugee armies making travel unsafe.

I just don't know how valid of a model that actually will be. If anything we seem fairly close to the transition to fascism in a way that precludes using a bronze age collapse model. There aren't any roving refugee armies to worry about if we just genocide them all instead. The grain and iphone shipments to the wealthy of the world can continue apace if we just murder or subjugate those near us.

On the flip side, any positive model where we eventually do *something* about climate change requires immense international cooperation. So in worst case scenarios I see the powers that be still retaining relatively more power as the effects of climate change increase or in better case scenarios our adaptation and mitigation requires maintaining that international infrastructure.

And the other issue with these return to nature models is I think it vastly underplays the devastation that will occur in the rurals and wilds. Land area capable of non-technological subsistance agriculture are going to dramatically shrink. What little that will be left will already have powerful owners. And the open land created in the north by shifting frost lines? Mostly soil that needs improvements like fertilizer to be feasible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else still really really pissed at Nate and his wild hosed up Live Model that gave us all direct flashbacks to 2016 except with the additional knowledge that if we didn’t take the House it was Game loving Over?

i've been pissed at him since 2016!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just because socialism is necessary and sufficient to combat fascism and other reactionary tendencies does not mean that every fash and reactionary be converted. Success must be made in spite of reactionaries by empowering people against them

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else still really really pissed at Nate and his wild hosed up Live Model that gave us all direct flashbacks to 2016 except with the additional knowledge that if we didn’t take the House it was Game loving Over?

i'm not but i was one of the people liveposting "no this seems loving weird" followed by "EVERYBODY STAND DOWN NATE SAYS THE ROBOT WENT INSANE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My Trumpkin mom is fussing on facebook about how nothing will be done now that dems control the House and how "Hateful Maxine Waters" just wants "Revenge and destruction", and that this is handing 2020 to Trump on a silver platter.

As much as I am loathe to ever agree with her (I don't even follow her on facebook, her political posts are vile), doesn't that carry a little truth to it? After all, dems are essentially going to be playing the same game against Trump in Congress as reps did against Obama... or is this a false equivalence? Think about 6 more years of Trump is honestly terrifying.