Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'd like to apologise for starting vote chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Gingerbread House Music posted:

That's not how it works.

That's actually the dictionary decision of how voting works: If you don't vote, there is no column for "didn't vote" in the final tally and "didn't vote" gets to pick exactly zero of the upcoming policies.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SquirrelGrip posted:

ok I’ll write something up

Post it in here when you do because I'm interested after seeing your japan trip pics, and will probably forget to go looking for it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Hey all you folks are cool, so please stop complaining about voting a full day after the polls have closed. It doesn't matter now.

my district is so intensely blue my wife and I didn't bother voting.

Our positive mind energy helped the people we were going to vote for get elected even though we didn't go to the poo poo show that is our polling place. I'm sure of it. Yeah. Right.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what would happen if that was actually the highest vote-getter?

As it stands now, "I choose not to vote" is functionally the same as "I vote for whoever more people vote for".

Generally the concept seems to be similar to a vote of no confidence, i.e. try again, with different, better people this time.

That's not how it works.

I for one, am going to tell a non-voter to go gently caress off the second he or she makes any comments about the state of things government. You had your chance to say something, and that something was silence, so keep doing that until the next election.

spog posted:

It's OK, we all topple a domino now and again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What i said has nothing to do with the electoral system in the US. It's about personal liberty.

Your country actively stops people voting.

What I said had EVERYTHING to do with personal liberty.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
She gave me back the ring

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, what?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

Who did what now?

Is this going to make me sad for you?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Awe drat. That's like one hell of a 6 word story.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What I said had EVERYTHING to do with personal liberty.

Forcing someone to vote would be directly against your personal liberty.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And once again you missed my point or are being deliberatly obtuse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

quote:

Voting is NOT mandatory in Australia.

quote:

Pretend I quoted my long post about how Australia makes it easy for anyone to vote and even kinda cool

quote:

Pretend I inserted a bunch of stuff about voter suppression in the USA

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And once again you missed my point or are being deliberatly obtuse.

I never brought up australia, why would i care what they do there?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

:(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

Boo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

keykey posted:

Work for free? Forget that noise, that's what poor people do!

that fry meme where can't tell if serious or sarcastic

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Liberalism is a mental illness

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

keykey posted:

Pretty much. Imagine if you will, getting really worked up emotionally over the cola wars because that's where we're at with politics. People just need to take a few years off of politics and realize it doesn't impact their life nearly as much as they're told it does.

This is a hell of a position to take in a thread where a fellow poster just noted why the party in power would prefer them dead. Maybe exercise a little empathy and realize that just because you're in a position you believe is insulated enough to be above it all, it doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people in the US with a lot to lose?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Gin time

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol yep.

I served my country, and I'm going to use my grownup freedoms in the country I served, and partake in non voting this year ok. Thanks for your concern tho :)

So you don't vote at all? You seemingly lack the ability to differentiate bad candidates from good because they're politicians but not all things we vote on are politicians running for office...

For better or worse, district attorneys, judges and Sheriffs are all possible elected officials but are they politicians? Debatable

What about initiatives? Your state just passed one to give felons back the vote and your yes vote would have been worth the time it took to make it known.

When it gets down to it your reasoning is a cop out and I hope you teach your son that voting does matter, because it does.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Door Frame posted:

:(

That is terrible and really sucks, but I guess it's better to happen now than later?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

Liberalism is a mental illness

eh..

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a hell of a position to take in a thread where a fellow poster just noted why the party in power would prefer them dead. Maybe exercise a little empathy and realize that just because you're in a position you believe is insulated enough to be above it all, it doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people in the US with a lot to lose?

Except the vast majority of this country either doesn't care about your gender identity, or at most thinks "that's gross". Living in the US and acting like there's a junta hunting down trans folk is just badbrains.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving lol

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Except the vast majority of this country either doesn't care about your gender identity, or at most thinks "that's gross". Living in the US and acting like there's a junta hunting down trans folk is just badbrains.
The left has a huge mental break between literally Nazis and historical Nazis. Thinking about trans hunting squads is more of the same. A lot of the poo poo that Trump says is, on a degree of hype level, identical to what the left says. Neither extreme is going to happen in America anytime soon, because the vast majority, even if they are silent for now, vehemently disagrees with the rhetoric. Antifa is just as rhetorically extreme as the stupid Pride Boys bullshit. Blaming everything bad on immigrants is just as bad of blaming everything bad on racism, and both approaches are dead wrong.

The vast majority of the right just wants immigration laws to be enforced and the immigrants we let in to want to be Americans not just living in our borders. We used to call America the melting pot, with immigrants adding spice to to the mix but still taking on the overall flavor. The left doesn't care about keeping the melting pot hot, and is fine with being a stew with distinct identities for separate groups. Immigrants flying the Mexican flag, for instance, is a direct affront to that ideal. And that is what riles up the right about illegal immigration.

Reflexive dismissal coming in 5...4....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Living in the US and acting like there's a junta hunting down trans folk is just badbrains.

No words. I have no loving words to say that wont get me probated.

Fender Anarchist - I admire you for coming out like you have and I hope everything goes well. And I hope you stay safe from the people who ARE hunting down trans folks and making their lives worse.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No words. I have no loving words to say that wont get me probated.

Fender Anarchist - I admire you for coming out like you have and I hope everything goes well. And I hope you stay safe from the people who ARE hunting down trans folks and making their lives worse.

Then just back up your argument otherwise with facts from reputable sources. If you can do that, i'll happily admit i was wrong and apologize.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Then just back up your argument otherwise with facts from reputable sources. If you can do that, i'll happily admit i was wrong and apologize.

It's called the Religious Right or have you missed the last two years in a frozen coma?

JFC this is not something that needs sources when you have the GOP rushing in anti Trans legislation and preachers yelling about them perverts from the pulpit. I loving HAVE FRIENDS WHO HAVE BEEN HUNTED AND HAD THE poo poo BASHED OUT OF THEM FOR BEING TRANS. And you have the temerity to post there ISNT a group in society who would be perfectly happy to see trans folk dead?

gently caress this, I'm out before I blow a fuse

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 8, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The trump administration has leaked memos where their stated aim is to legislate us out of existence. Like, not just not protect our status, but blanket declare "there is no gender except that defined by your birth genitals". In that scenario anti-trans hate crimes aren't just unacknowledged, but by definition do not exist. So if someone runs me over with a car, then uses a knife to carve DIE TRANNY DIE in my corpse, any federal investigation would automatically go "welp we can't seem to find any particular motive for this horrible accident!"

There are also already reported incidents of people sending in their passports to get gender markers updated, which is legal under current guidelines, and not only having them rejected but having the government keep all certified copies of birth certificates etc that were sent in so they can't even try again.

poo poo like that is not an accident. There is no fiscal or social benefit to the culture at large. Its sole purpose is to make life harder for us, and make us even more of outcasts than we already are. I don't know about you, but I don't see any benevolent purpose for doing that.

But hey, ~~leftists~~ want you to respect all humans as if they were humans, so obviously they're just as bad as literally Hitler.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You're still not showing me how the government wants trans people dead.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

quote:

The new definition would essentially eradicate federal recognition of the estimated 1.4 million Americans who have opted to recognize themselves — surgically or otherwise — as a gender other than the one they were born into.
The move would be the most significant of a series of maneuvers, large and small, to exclude the population from civil rights protections and roll back the Obama administration’s more fluid recognition of gender identity. The Trump administration has sought to bar transgender people from serving in the military and has legally challenged civil rights protections for the group embedded in the nation’s health care law.

Several agencies have withdrawn Obama-era policies that recognized gender identity in schools, prisons and homeless shelters. The administration even tried to remove questions about gender identity from a 2020 census survey and a national survey of elderly citizens.

For the last year, the Department of Health and Human Services has privately argued that the term “sex” was never meant to include gender identity or even homosexuality, and that the lack of clarity allowed the Obama administration to wrongfully extend civil rights protections to people who should not have them.

"Hey some people shouldn't have civil rights!" is not the statement of a government that wants me around.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873744

i threw together an op for a drift thread, have at, im bored at work

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fender Anarchist posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

"Hey some people shouldn't have civil rights!" is not the statement of a government that wants me around.

You're showing me lots of things that don't point to you being killed by the government.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you can't read between the lines to see why a government, the head of which repeatedly refers to neo nazis as "very fine people", might want to claim certain classes of people don't exist, then I don't know what to tell you.

E: Honestly, I can't be assed to dig up "hard factual research" to prove to some arbitrary level of satisfaction the oh-so-controversial statement that "right-wingers hate queer folk". I would have thought that self-evident by now. I'm not holding your hand on this any further.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 8, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It tells me that you're being attacked and that's making you assume the worst.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Hey guys, the government doesn't literally have a file marked LGBT Death Plans, Fig. A-G, so things cant be that bad, amirite?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Generally the concept seems to be similar to a vote of no confidence, i.e. try again, with different, better people this time.

Jesus gently caress, "none of the above, reset and give us a flesh slate of candidates" needs to be an option.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Jesus gently caress, "none of the above, reset and give us a flesh slate of candidates" needs to be an option.

I realize you meant to say fresh, but... Blood for the blood God. :unsmigghh:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

I’ll say something positive about voting, at least. We did it right in Michigan:
1. Legalized recreational marijuana! Bout loving time.

2. Stopped gerrymandering.

3. Made it a lot easier to vote, allowing for registering to vote on the spot and getting absentee ballots whenever you want.

The Door Frame posted:

Hope this doesn’t sound too harsh, but you dodged a bullet there bud.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
These name changes are really loving with my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Holy poo poo it’s time to ban politichat again.

• Locked thread